Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   ***yankees official offseason thread***** (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519047)

rwperu34 11-08-2007 12:45 AM

Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a competent center fielder

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of those available for mere cash. The Yanks are awash in cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you name some better than melky?

[/ QUOTE ]

Andruw Jones, Torri Hunter, Mike Cameron, Aaron Rowand, Milton Bradley, and Kenny Lofton.

DesertCat 11-08-2007 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Melky has significantly more range.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not after reading the plus minus rankings from the jeter thread. To be fair Rowand wasn't rated high either, but not as low as Melky. I guess I should have said Melky has far more range "factor" than Aaron.

DesertCat 11-08-2007 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Andruw Jones, Torri Hunter, Mike Cameron, Aaron Rowand, Milton Bradley, and Kenny Lofton.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about Eric Byrnes? Please?

Out of that list I take Andruw. His defense is still stellar, and with a BABIP of .222 this year I'd bet on a bounce back year. Hes better than all of em if he hits his career averages.

MuresanForMVP 11-08-2007 03:27 AM

I just read this on espn.com

[ QUOTE ]
"It's pretty obvious which players we're not going to trade," the owner's son said Wednesday, before rattling off the team's most-prized young pitchers. "Chamberlain, Hughes and even Kennedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeesh, that's kind of a douchey way of putting it. Kinda dissed Kennedy there if you ask me

THAY3R 11-08-2007 04:25 AM

You left out the most important part :

[ QUOTE ]
"It's pretty obvious which players we're not going to trade," the owner's son said Wednesday, before rattling off the team's most-prized young pitchers. "Chamberlain, Hughes and even Kennedy. Not for a position player."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the sound of that [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

MikeyPatriot 11-08-2007 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Melky has significantly more range.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure about that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not after reading the plus minus rankings from the jeter thread. To be fair Rowand wasn't rated high either, but not as low as Melky. I guess I should have said Melky has far more range "factor" than Aaron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said in the other thread, I don't really like to put too much stock in any one defensive metric. But when a guy is ranked at the bottom of a list, he usually doesn't do so well in other metrics either.

Karak567 11-08-2007 02:39 PM

According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the Yankees and Padres briefly discussed a trade that would have sent Jake Peavy to New York for Phil Hughes and Melky Cabrera.

Triumph36 11-08-2007 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
According to ESPN's Buster Olney, the Yankees and Padres briefly discussed a trade that would have sent Jake Peavy to New York for Phil Hughes and Melky Cabrera.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cashman: So, you like Hughes and Cabrera, right?

Towers: Absolutely.

Cashman: How's about trading me Peavy for them?

Towers: Ha ha ha ha *click*

yeah pretty brief.

sylar 11-08-2007 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. just wow. i think padres would have to see more from Hughes even consider this. they have peavy for 2 more years (via an option), and have time see if they can try for a title run or trade him at the deadline or off-season.

sylar 11-08-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

melky's total salary over the next five years (age 25-29) is probably less than $15M.

Jones's next five years (age 31-35) probably costs $100M. Hunter's (age 33-38) probably cost $60M. Rowand's (age 30-34) probably cost ~$70M. Cameron (age 35-39) is ~$25-30M. I have no idea what Bradley (age 30-34) will make, but it's probably around $50M, and he is going to MISS THE FIRST HALF OF NEXT SEASON.

Kenny Lofton??? are you kidding.

i am not arguing that Melky is as good as those guys. I am not saying he is un-tradeable. But why would you want to get rid of a player like him? he's cheap. he's young. he may get better offensively. he probably won't decline defensively for the next 5 years. he can play 4th OF or get 120+ starts at CF/LF in a season. that's a ton of value, and flexibility for the roster. if melky is not traded, the yankees can walk away from almost any trade or FA negotiation for an OF (Jones/Rowand) and just stay put with Damon/Matsui/Abreu.