Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   November [censored] thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536084)

Jihad 11-15-2007 10:23 PM

Re: November [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That came by a little quicker than I thought. I am now officially a member of the 500# deadlift club.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll be the first to say congrats. People, this is just over 5 plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, that is pretty sick...congrats...

[/ QUOTE ]TY both. I don't know when I'll get to 600, and I WILL get there, but when I do I kinda wanna make a video of it. I think the coolest thing about getting to 600 is that my regular workout at that point would include REPPING 500, which would be just straight BA IMO.

theblackkeys 11-15-2007 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That came by a little quicker than I thought. I am now officially a member of the 500# deadlift club.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]TY both. I don't know when I'll get to 600, and I WILL get there, but when I do I kinda wanna make a video of it. I think the coolest thing about getting to 600 is that my regular workout at that point would include REPPING 500, which would be just straight BA IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
can you go into detail on your deadlift progression from, say 400 all the way to 500. What weights and reps were you doing and how often and by how much were you adding weight?

Jihad 11-15-2007 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
can you go into detail on your deadlift progression from, say 400 all the way to 500. What weights and reps were you doing and how often and by how much were you adding weight?

[/ QUOTE ]You're not going to like this, but I'm not exactly a "details" lifter. I'm really into lifting because it feels good, and that turns me into a "feel" lifter, if you will. I've got enough lifting experience that I can pretty quickly ascertain (and I mean before I even touch the weights often times) what kind of day I'm going to have, whether it be big reps until my heart feels like its gonna explode, or a big #'s day where I'm just throwing up everything I got.

I stuck to a pretty strict routine for about 2 months, and at the end of it (a month ago) I just realized that I could get up around 470ish, and I dropped it at that until yesterday when I decided to give it a go.

I wish I had more for you, but I don't make a schedule or keep records anymore. My legs day is something like this:

Squat
DL
Leg Press
Lunges (12-15 reps)
Curls (3 sets, 1 minute rest, 12-15, then one drop set to absolute failure)
Extensions (same as above)
2 calves

I never really know which of the 2 first ones I'm doing first, or what kind of breakdown each will have. The only thing that is constant week to week, my gym's weights are on the second floor and I have a very hard time walking down them. Legs shaking, utter failure/pump on both sides. As long as I get there, I don't care how I do it. That's kind of my philosophy every time I walk in the gym, and it serves me well. Its the only way to keep lifting fun for me. If I want to hit 600, I may have to get more disciplines, who knows.

kyleb 11-19-2007 05:26 AM

i am totally gonna squat 280 this week. 260 is for [censored], i did that [censored] easily on saturday. 300 by december here i come bitches

also this is a new pic of me

http://kyleboddy.com/wp-content/uplo....thumbnail.jpg

Wolfram 11-19-2007 05:55 AM

Worthless with shirt on

Edit: Jesus, that sounded gay

kyleb 11-19-2007 06:43 AM

D:

Vavavoom 11-19-2007 09:43 AM

I'm going to embark on a new fitness regime for the start of Jan..

I'm planning on getting :

http://www.maximuscle.com/thermobol

&

http://www.maximuscle.com/cyclone

Does any of the "gurus" on here have any knowledge of these products...

I intend to stick to a very dedicated diet and will train 4 times a week...

Vava

theblackkeys 11-19-2007 03:32 PM

kyle, can we get another bicepts pic?

theblackkeys 11-19-2007 05:34 PM

HAYGUYS
I'm out of dextrose, close to running out of whey, need some chalk, and possibly a dip belt. bulknutrition.com doesn't have chalk, but it has everything else (and good prices). Discountanabolics.com has chalk, but no dextrose. Is there a better place to go that has BOTH dextrose and chalk?

Also, should I order some creatine monohydrate? And is it all pretty much the same among creatine monohydrate sellers?

cbloom 11-19-2007 05:41 PM

Why are you taking dextrose?

[ QUOTE ]

Also, should I order some creatine monohydrate? And is it all pretty much the same among creatine monohydrate sellers?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty much the only supplement which is proven to do anything, so yeah may as well take it. BTW there's little evidence that creatine does much if you are eating a lot of meat and getting a good amount of natural creatine already. Also creatine "loading" doesn't do much. And yeah, they're all the same.

Blarg 11-19-2007 07:02 PM

Ironmind.com used to sell chalk.

theblackkeys 11-19-2007 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you taking dextrose?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty much the only supplement which is proven to do anything, so yeah may as well take it. BTW there's little evidence that creatine does much if you are eating a lot of meat and getting a good amount of natural creatine already. Also creatine "loading" doesn't do much. And yeah, they're all the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
dextrose is my post workout high gi sugar. It's either that or maltodextrin, and I've been using dextrose so I see no reason to switch.

Also, creatine should probably be taken 5g a day right?

theblackkeys 11-19-2007 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ironmind.com used to sell chalk.

[/ QUOTE ]
was trying to get everything in one place, at decent prices. I will probably end up splitting it between two different stores.

Blarg 11-19-2007 07:49 PM

You don't need that much creatine. Your body just throws too much away anyway. However, it's pretty cheap so it's not a big deal.

theblackkeys 11-19-2007 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't need that much creatine. Your body just throws too much away anyway. However, it's pretty cheap so it's not a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
so like 2-3g then, right? that is cheap, it's like $12 for 500g.

Actual God 11-20-2007 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am totally gonna squat 280 this week. 260 is for [censored], i did that [censored] easily on saturday. 300 by december here i come bitches

also this is a new pic of me

http://kyleboddy.com/wp-content/uplo....thumbnail.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

weak arms [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

hanster 11-21-2007 01:53 AM

just wanted to remind everyone to stay hydrated while doing cardio/workout. I played about 2.5 hours of basketball and afterwards i just felt like total [censored] and kinda passed out on the couch in the gym [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

genius55 11-21-2007 03:38 AM

I'm looking for some running shoes. i have very wide feet and i am still pretty heavy. any recs? i think New Balance way to go right?

kyleb 11-21-2007 03:29 PM

failed 280 squat @ 195. getting leaner, boys!

theblackkeys 11-21-2007 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
bicep pics plz

SmileyEH 11-21-2007 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
bicep pics plz

[/ QUOTE ]

w/ and w/out ice sleeve plz k thx. <3

cbloom 11-24-2007 09:31 PM

Stayed with my GF's family over Thanksgiving. Holy crap it reminded me how bad the average American eats. I don't think there was a single vegetable served the entire time I was there. I'm pretty sure they counted the potatoes as vegetables, and the potatoes had brown sugar and marshmallows on them.

Next time I have to stay with them I'm gonna have to bring some protein powder and celery with me in my luggage.

Blarg 11-24-2007 10:46 PM

I'm amazed at how many meals I go to that have no or virtually no vegetables at them anymore. How the hell did we go so wrong that it's only meat, starch, and sugar?

goodguy_1 11-25-2007 02:31 AM

Hey guys those of you that do CrossFit and lift weights..how regimented are you?

How easy is it to stay up on the WOD's(5x weekly) and lift 3-5 times a week?

I want to start to do the WOD regularly which means 5x weekly but I havent really lifted other than bodyweight exercises in a long time.

I lifted regularly from 17-30 years of age..I'm 45 now.

I'm thinking about reindoctrinating myself by doing Rippetoe's SS and maintaining my 3x weekly PT(bodyweight stuff:pullups, situps,pushups< dips) supersets for at least a month or 2 before I do the WOD regularly just to build my strenght base back up.

There is a crossfit about 40 miles north..which I could easily hit up just 3 times a week...if I dont do the exerices myself.. I 'd rather go up there thu since he is a good CrossFit affiliate: http://harborcitycrossfit.typepad.com/ and offers a week free with an introductory evaluation and only $70 a month after that. I also want some assistance with form and possible exercise subsitutes and many of his clients-cops, military are older guys like me.

How do you guys mix in CrossFit with lifting or vice versa..do you prefer one over the other as your main gig.
Is it difficult to combine ..if so how do you adapt your workout schedule?

..I want to get to the point where I'm doing a regular routine of strenght training, CrossFit, stretching/core work and swimming. Right now I do an occasional WOD mixed into my regular PT and swimming workouts. I dont want to go overboard too fast thu.

POKEROMGLOL 11-25-2007 03:03 AM

REACHED TURKEY TROT GOAL....BARELY...

49:55

Really tough. Straight uphill. 39 degrees. Windy. nose was numb for the first mile which i ran WAY too fast (7:13)......

training on the treadmill didn't prepare me for that, but at least i made my goal of breaking 50 minutes.

had chocolate pie at thanksgiving mmmm.

goodguy_1 11-26-2007 11:37 AM

Just swam 3500 meters mostly pulling sets finished with an 800 IM. Also stretched 15 minutes prior to swimming and it felt really good after doing the WOD yesterday including my first day doing cleans. Good link for quick 10-15 pre-swim stretching: Flexibility for Swimming.

My arms were crazy tight from dips..If I'm going to maintain/improve my swimming while adding CrossFit and SS workouts I must stretch daily to maintain my flexibility.

off to do the Crossfit warm-up and todays WOD-hopefully I'll be able to find that weight belt that is sitting somewhere around the gym to do the weighted pullups.

after taking off the practice plates yesterday doing cleans and adding just 35 lbs plates ..I felt pitifully weak..havent really lifted or done regular compund lifts for years.

Depending on how I feel after the CrossFit workout ..I may to do my first SS workout later today. I dont want to do it right after my WOD maybe 2- 6 hours later. Luckily I live right down the street from a great gym.

Anybody have any good clues on the warmup regiment for SS Workout. Should I do 10 reps extremely lite, 6-8 reps light then do 3x5? The bb.com article all 150 pages of it dont mention a specific warmup ritual.

Dont have the book yet just ordered the 2nd edition last week.

istewart 11-27-2007 12:28 PM

Wtf is this thing people do where they lie on the floor under the Smith machine bar, grab the bar with both arms, and pull themselves up for like 90 reps? People are so [censored] dumb sometimes.

AcTiOnJaCsOn 11-27-2007 12:42 PM

280 isnt that bad, a lot but do able

AZK 11-27-2007 01:21 PM

Reverse pushup/pullup type exercise? It's not the dumbest thing in the world, 90 reps? maybe. but i've done the movement before...

Thremp 11-27-2007 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wtf is this thing people do where they lie on the floor under the Smith machine bar, grab the bar with both arms, and pull themselves up for like 90 reps? People are so [censored] dumb sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a row. And a weird one at that. They are too stupid to do real exercises.

Jihad 11-28-2007 11:12 AM

All,

I have tons of thoughts on how to lift back. I think its the most poorly exercised muscle group, and I am way ahead of the curve in that department. Just wondering if there's any interest in me writing a semi-article. It would be directed towards power/body-building. It might be a huge waste of time.

Blarg 11-28-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a row. And a weird one at that. They are too stupid to do real exercises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably someone who isn't strong enough for pull-ups but doesn't want to just isolate completely by doing curls.

AZK 11-28-2007 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I have tons of thoughts on how to lift back. I think its the most poorly exercised muscle group, and I am way ahead of the curve in that department. Just wondering if there's any interest in me writing a semi-article. It would be directed towards power/body-building. It might be a huge waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested. As right now, the only actual back exercise I do is various forms of pull ups, and supplement with some rowing. I don't want a strong back, but I would like to be able do one arm pull ups and or throw significant weight on and still do pull ups.

cbloom 11-28-2007 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want a strong back

[/ QUOTE ]

+

[ QUOTE ]

but I would like to be able do one arm pull ups and or throw significant weight on and still do pull ups.

[/ QUOTE ]

error, does not compute.

dethgrind 11-28-2007 01:56 PM

I've moved on from Starting Strength to Madcow's 5x5, after milking out about as much gains as I could. It seems much easier. For one, you don't go balls to the wall three times a week; there's a heavy, medium, and light day. And more importantly, you don't do three heavy sets across, but instead ramp up to just one truly heavy set.

SS was getting to be really tough psychologically so this should be a refreshing change of pace. I'm hoping to add 5 to 10 pounds to all my big lifts over the next 5 or 6 weeks. Should be doable.

Jihad 11-28-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't want a strong back

[/ QUOTE ]

+

[ QUOTE ]

but I would like to be able do one arm pull ups and or throw significant weight on and still do pull ups.

[/ QUOTE ]

error, does not compute.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, def not gonna happen. If you can do a one arm pull up, you are triangular. The main topic of the write up would be [censored] that I see people do retarded on a daily basis in the gym, stuff you all almost def. do. Like I said, nobody lifts back correctly.

SmileyEH 11-28-2007 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, def not gonna happen. If you can do a one arm pull up, you are triangular.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol edit: 0:31

[ QUOTE ]
The main topic of the write up would be [censored] that I see people do retarded on a daily basis in the gym, stuff you all almost def. do. Like I said, nobody lifts back correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough PUMPAGE?

Wolfram 11-28-2007 02:12 PM

Jihad,

I'd be very interested in reading your article if my back wasn't so [censored] up at the moment.

Hell, I'd read it anyway and hope I get better soon to start implementind what I learn.

Rootabager 11-28-2007 02:19 PM

One arm pull ups are insane, even if some ppl can do them.

I can do like 30 pullups, clap pullups, tons of weighted pullups, etc but I cant come close to doing a one armed pull up.

Jihad 11-28-2007 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, def not gonna happen. If you can do a one arm pull up, you are triangular.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol edit: 0:31

[ QUOTE ]
The main topic of the write up would be [censored] that I see people do retarded on a daily basis in the gym, stuff you all almost def. do. Like I said, nobody lifts back correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough PUMPAGE?

[/ QUOTE ]Can't get youtube at work, summarize? I can't tell if I'm being mocked here or not, I'm stoopid. Care to clarify?