Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask me about Starbucks (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=465760)

edfurlong 07-31-2007 06:19 PM

Re: Ask me about Starbucks

[ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Huge pet peeve of mine. Most customers are relatively savvy, but I'd still say about 25% of customers will still say eXpresso.

I've only heard one coworker refer to it as eXpresso. I made fun of her lots.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored]

El Diablo 07-31-2007 06:19 PM

Dibs,

"I dared to order a Venti something from some indie place and the snide [censored] got huffy at me for using Starbucks lingo."

Uh, I am normally always on board for mocking of baristas who take their role way too seriously, but wtf sort of retard orders a "Venti" something instead of a medium or large or double or whatever?

El Diablo 07-31-2007 06:22 PM

CB,

"I like it."

Thanks!

BTW, the espresso ordering is USUALLY reserved for restaurants. I feel like I'm getting sorta ripped off when I get that tiny little cup thing of espresso from a coffeeshop.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CB - I stopped going to Starbucks a while ago because 1) there's a Coffee Bean on my way to work; 2) there's a Coffee Bean on my work campus.

My question to you (and I guess anyone else) - is it worth the extra 0.5 mile trip to hit up a Starbucks instead? Haven't had it in a while, so can't remember if the coffee is any good (that's all I order).

Thanks.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I like our coffee. I've heard the complaints that we roast it to dark/burn the beans, etc. Doesn't bother me. I was a coffee drinker before I started working there, but most of my "coffee education" as it were, has come from working there, so Starbucks coffee is now the standard my palate works from. I find a lot of other coffee to be too light-bodied at most other places.

Give it a shot. It's one trip. If you hate it, well, you're out of .5 miles and two bucks.

Edit: My favorite blends: Sulawesi, Arabian Mocha Sanani (which we never brew), Pike Place (a limited edition from last fall), and Ethiopia Sidamo.

kidcolin 07-31-2007 06:25 PM

Bob,

This isn't really SBUX specific, but does any drink consist of a regular cup of coffee + espresso shot? I've asked for that a few times when I just wanted coffee and needed an extra kick. It was pretty good, too.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:26 PM

For Guids

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is your favorite drink item?

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically, when I'm at work, I'll drink either coffee or a triple espresso.

[/ QUOTE ]

The DaveR 07-31-2007 06:27 PM

CB, Months ago I read about hot Starbucks breakfast sandwiches but haven't seen them firsthand. Opinions?

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bob,

This isn't really SBUX specific, but does any drink consist of a regular cup of coffee + espresso shot? I've asked for that a few times when I just wanted coffee and needed an extra kick. It was pretty good, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typically referred to as a "Red-Eye" (cup of coffee plus one Espresso shot) or a "Black-Eye" (Two shots).

monkeyfightclub 07-31-2007 06:32 PM

Did your shop observe National Coffee Day? If so, how crowded was it? The Starbucks down the street had lines out the door for most of the day.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CB, Months ago I read about hot Starbucks breakfast sandwiches but haven't seen them firsthand. Opinions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I'm extrapolating/guessing/possibly lying, etc.

Usually this sort of thing occurs in a test-market first, and if it is successful, is then rolled out to the rest of the country. I've heard it is happening, don't know where it is being tested (if at all). Only certain stores are considered "Warming" stores, meaning, they have an oven or some other function to warm/toast pastries and sandwiches.

I also believe that you have to have a different permit from the city in order to have an oven than most Starbucks typically have. Whether or not that is gumming up the works, I don't know.

I'm going with it's being tested somewhere, and will probably catch on enough to roll out eventually.

I'd be all for it. I open a lot, and by the time my lunch break rolls around, most places aren't open for lunch yet. I don't want to buy my own pastries for breakfast, I typically want something hot. Of course, I'd probably get sick of them eventually, too.

kidcolin 07-31-2007 06:34 PM

I've seen the sandwiches here in Sacramento. I have not bothered trying one. To be honest they don't look that enticing.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did your shop observe National Coffee Day? If so, how crowded was it? The Starbucks down the street had lines out the door for most of the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure, exactly. A few months ago, there was a promotion where every Starbucks was giving out a free Tall coffee. I wonder if that was the occasion. It didn't seem much more crowded than any other day.

Dids 07-31-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dibs,

"I dared to order a Venti something from some indie place and the snide [censored] got huffy at me for using Starbucks lingo."

Uh, I am normally always on board for mocking of baristas who take their role way too seriously, but wtf sort of retard orders a "Venti" something instead of a medium or large or double or whatever?

[/ QUOTE ]

It became my stock order at Starbucks (Venti Irish Cream) because I follow directions and stuff and did what the big board told me to do. I then repeated it at a non-Starbucks. Clearly a mistake.

The other day I went into a coffee shop and it had no big board, I was left clueless and walked out because I couldn't confront this reality.

The DaveR 07-31-2007 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dibs,

[/ QUOTE ]

It became my stock order at Starbucks (Venti Irish Cream) because I follow directions and stuff and did what the big board told me to do. I then repeated it at a non-Starbucks. Clearly a mistake.

The other day I went into a coffee shop and it had no big board, I was left clueless and walked out because I couldn't confront this reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids, when you go to burger joints do you order hamburgers or Big Macs?

eviljeff 07-31-2007 06:48 PM

Starbucks' patent portfolio

have you learned their patented method for brewing and serving a hot beverage yet?

Dids 07-31-2007 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dibs,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dids, when you go to burger joints do you order hamburgers or Big Macs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bacon Double Cheese Burgers obviously.

I honestly thought that Venti wasn't just a starbucks thing, I'm not a big coffee shop guy, and had never really notice that Starbucks did and Tully's (for example) didn't.

NicksDad1970 07-31-2007 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quids,

You are using "a can of Folgers costs this much" as part of an argument about why coffee in a shop is overpriced?

Man, I wonder how you would react to a five dollar milkshake!

[/ QUOTE ]

There's obviously vodka in the $5 milkshake

NicksDad1970 07-31-2007 07:01 PM

If you want a quad order a triple and 9 times out of 10 they'll ask you if you want the extra shot for free.

My question is should I feel shame for not buying enough to get the Starbucks Christmas card anymore?

Blarg 07-31-2007 07:09 PM

Have you ever used any flavorings or other starbucks ingredients on your or a sex partner's genitals during unprotected sex?

Blarg 07-31-2007 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
to the douche that says "what about the people who take home coffee" it was CLEAR I wasnt talking about them, and neither were you until you got proven wrong, so gfy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you schizo or just dumb? How can you 1st say that folgers bought in bulk from sams club cost 3.6 cents a cup (not .036 cents as you wrote) and then claim you were not talking about take home coffee. You make arguments like a 14 year old girl

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he got you dead to rights on this one.

traxamillion 07-31-2007 07:10 PM

One of my friend's diet consists almost entirely of stolen starbucks sandwiches (which are quite good in my opinion) and drinks.

sustainable?

Vehn 07-31-2007 07:11 PM

annnnnd blarg locks up his spot as "top 2p2 poster you'd like to see a real life picture of"

SmileyEH 07-31-2007 07:16 PM

I honestly like starbucks more because of the raw indignation broad swathes of society have toward it. that being said I think it's somewhat overpriced and for what I get (coffee with cream and sugar with the odd cappuccino) I'd just as easily go to dunkin donuts. Otherwise I still don't understand why everyone freaks out about it or loves it to death.

szw 07-31-2007 07:17 PM

Guids is usually pretty cool imo but is way retarded in this thread

El Diablo 07-31-2007 07:21 PM

Dibs,

"It became my stock order at Starbucks (Venti Irish Cream) because I follow directions and stuff and did what the big board told me to do. I then repeated it at a non-Starbucks. Clearly a mistake.

The other day I went into a coffee shop and it had no big board, I was left clueless and walked out because I couldn't confront this reality."

You sound like a complete and total retard in that post.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want a quad order a triple and 9 times out of 10 they'll ask you if you want the extra shot for free.

My question is should I feel shame for not buying enough to get the Starbucks Christmas card anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not follow this advice.

Also, why would I know about your feelings of shame? I slang coffee, for [censored]'s sake.

Blarg 07-31-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
quids,

"I may be wrong here, but I doubt many people can tell the difference in taste."

Yes, you are very wrong on this point.

FWIW, I generally buy a $1.50 coffee about three times a week at a local coffeeshop (F STARBUCKS!!!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, F SBUX is right, if they werent making tons and tons of economically challenged hippies, they wouldnt be on every street corner I guess.

and guys, this is why I hate starbucks more than anything else....hippies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think a lot of economically challenged people are going to starbucks for their coffee, hippie or not.

I'm thinking of the guids version of that scene from 48 Hours, with Jerry Garcia playing the Eddie Murphy role: "I'm your worst nightmare ... a hippie with money."

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever used any flavorings or other starbucks ingredients on your or a sex partner's genitals during unprotected sex?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be surprised at how a little nutmeg can spruce up a gash.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my friend's diet consists almost entirely of stolen starbucks sandwiches (which are quite good in my opinion) and drinks.

sustainable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've definitely had periods of time where it is my breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Blarg 07-31-2007 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliched comments re: Starbucks that really piss me off: "Starbucks! No way am I going to spend 4 bucks on a cup of coffee! LOL!"

First of all, a tall drip is $1.60, a grande is $1.75, and a venti is $1.85 (or somewhere in that range, depending on location). How is that anywhere close to 4 bucks?

Secondly, the drinks that ARE 4 bucks are espresso + flavor + extra crap drinks, which aren't made anywhere else for any lower price. People pay $4 for a smoothie or any other premium refreshment, how is $4 for a caramel macchiato w/ whip cream at all unreasonable?

Die.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is your getting pissed off or weirded out about this any more sensible than the people you're criticizing?

El Diablo 07-31-2007 07:31 PM

Blarg,

"I don't think a lot of economically challenged people are going to starbucks for their coffee, hippie or not."

You'd be surprised.

NicksDad1970 07-31-2007 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not follow this advice.

Also, why would I know about your feelings of shame? I slang coffee, for [censored]'s sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

It worked for me like a million times.

kidcolin 07-31-2007 07:38 PM

ED,

Indeed. In fact, it's part of the reason they're economically challenged.

Blarg,

Agreed on PJ's response, especially considering I've seen nearly that exact post from him before. He might have even started a thread about it.

Bob,

[ QUOTE ]

You'd be surprised at how a little nutmeg can spruce up a gash.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lol'd quite a bit.

Blarg 07-31-2007 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blarg,

"I don't think a lot of economically challenged people are going to starbucks for their coffee, hippie or not."

You'd be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, that would show how flexible the definition of that term can be. When I was economically challenged, it wasn't voluntary and expensive treats were out of the question.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blarg,

You'd be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, that would show how flexible the definition of that term can be. When I was economically challenged, it wasn't voluntary and expensive treats were out of the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

That response sucked.

NT! 07-31-2007 07:47 PM

holy crap this thread really took off

Hey_Porter 07-31-2007 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, I'm extrapolating/guessing/possibly lying, etc.

Usually this sort of thing occurs in a test-market first, and if it is successful, is then rolled out to the rest of the country. I've heard it is happening, don't know where it is being tested (if at all). Only certain stores are considered "Warming" stores, meaning, they have an oven or some other function to warm/toast pastries and sandwiches.

I also believe that you have to have a different permit from the city in order to have an oven than most Starbucks typically have. Whether or not that is gumming up the works, I don't know.

I'm going with it's being tested somewhere, and will probably catch on enough to roll out eventually.

I'd be all for it. I open a lot, and by the time my lunch break rolls around, most places aren't open for lunch yet. I don't want to buy my own pastries for breakfast, I typically want something hot. Of course, I'd probably get sick of them eventually, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

These have been around in at least 3 Starbucks in the Portland area that I know of. They're actually pretty good, and unlike Starbucks lunches, not really that overpriced.

Blarg 07-31-2007 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blarg,

You'd be surprised.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That response sucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

El Diablo 07-31-2007 07:59 PM

Blarg,

Obviously if someone doesn't have $4, they can't purchase a $4 coffee drink. I don't think that's worth mentioning.

However, people who can in no reasonable way come anywhere close to being able to afford Starbucks purchase it way more often than you probably imagine.

Yeti 07-31-2007 08:07 PM

Haven't read the thread, hope this hasn't been asked.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've had coffee in my life. I'm pretty sure I don't like it, but I'd like to learn to.

Is it just me or is Starbucks incredibly intimidating to the novice coffee drinker? All those stupid names for the sizes/drinks are pretty scary when you know absolutely nothing about coffee.

Anyway, what should my first order be?