Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   chopsticks, fried rice, white people (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553829)

tyler_cracker 11-27-2007 04:19 PM

Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

tdarko,

[ QUOTE ]
PBJ isn't a side dish that graduated into the main course of your lunch pale.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm a little confused. is your quibble with fried rice that it's a side dish, or that it's "for little kids"?

also, if chili cheese fries (e.g.) are an appetizer, can i call it a meal if i keep the chili in a bowl and the french fries on the side? or is that also an appetizer?

(i suppose it's ironical that this thread finds me being so nitty about utensils, yet so lackadaisical in my definition of what constitutes a "meal". c'est la guerre. props on using the correct "pale", however, tdarko sir.)

tdarko 11-27-2007 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm a little confused. is your quibble with fried rice that it's a side dish, or that it's "for little kids"?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Little kid food" was just a personal little comment for it b/c it is a recurring theme to go to any Asian restaurant and see a handful of adults order meat-based dishes and then see every kid order Chicken Fried Rice. My little brother and sister only ate CFR until they were about 14 and realized how boring it was and ventured out to the rest of the menu.

entertainme 11-27-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I get a ruling on the maturity of fried rice as a side dish? 'Cause the local chinese joint makes a bbq pork fried rice that is unfuckwithable.

[/ QUOTE ]

In southern China our guests at a meal are usually given the choice of noodles, fried noodles, or fried rice. Whichever is chosen is served as one of many dishes that make up the meal. Steamed rice is also offered, which if ordered is served to the individuals who chose it in single serving bowls.

If you're ordering for yourself in the US, who cares? Eat what you like.

jogsxyz 11-27-2007 04:42 PM

http://www.aa2sbu.org/aaezine/images/C/chopsticks.gif

Chopsticks are used with soup dishes.
But not used for plain broth.

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/18000/180...s_18002_lg.gif

jogsxyz 11-27-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have never seen fried rice served with other foods. its served by itself as a meal. its not a replacement for rice and eaten with another dish (as served in Chinese American Restaurants).

[/ QUOTE ]

The customer is always right. You can choose to order fried rice instead of plain white rice.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-27-2007 05:32 PM

darko,

This http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmnut/179496514/ is a stand alone meal over here, consumed as a breakfast or a lunch more often than dinner.

Sometimes it is served with tom yam soup or papaya salad, but it is not served with green curry or basil pork. Those dishes are served with jasmine white rice.

So, fried rice (which I will define as white rice fried in a pan with oil and seasoning and a small amount of meat) is considered a stand alone meal.

Regular white rice is not a stand alone meal and it is eaten with a curry or a meat.

Im not sure what you guys are being served over there, but most of the Chinese/Thai restaurants Ive been to in the USA serve fried rice instead of white rice, so it was Chicken Cashew with fried rice unless you specifically requested white rice. So... in the USA it does seem that fried rice is not considered a stand alone meal.

Dids 11-27-2007 05:42 PM

KKF,

At chinese places that do lunch combos and such, you're typically offered a choice between fried and steamed rice. Thai places I've never been offered a choice, it's just white rice if the dish calls for it..

But for dinner, you can also order straight fried rice as an entree as well, although as Darko points out, only a savage would order that alone. I just get it as a side dish to go with something else.

El Diablo 11-27-2007 05:59 PM

darko,

"Actual Thai dishes are less popular than what is actually ordered, the red and green curry dishes and the dishes heavy in coconut milk aren't ordered nearly as often as rice dishes"

I've known owners of Thai restaurants in SF and Houston, and go to Thai restaurants all the time. I'd wager decent money that dishes like Gai Grapow (Basil Chicken) and Gang Gari Gai (Yellow Curry Chicken) are ordered far more than fried rice style dishes at sit-down Thai restaurants.

El Diablo 11-27-2007 06:02 PM

kkf,

"It'd be funny if you guys brought your own chop sticks to the restaurant."

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=3104 (sweet videos)

http://ca.c.yimg.jp/news/20071108153...t-view-000.jpg

React1oN 11-27-2007 06:20 PM

OP,

Where I eat chinese usually, well:

If it's semi-fancy, chopsticks are in the napkin, individually wrapped(ordered etc)
Not so fancy, pick-up type place, usually get chopsticks. I don't think I've ever been handed a fork first.

Also, at home I can go either way using a fork or chopsticks, though with Sushi, it's always chopsticks.

Stellastarr 11-27-2007 07:40 PM

Plate = fork
Bowl = chopsticks

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-27-2007 08:37 PM

that combines my two true loves in this universe.

garcia1000 11-27-2007 11:03 PM

Am I alone in being able to use both chopsticks, and fork and knife?

This probably puts me in the top 1% of the population.

tdarko 11-27-2007 11:04 PM

El D,

mmmmm Basil Chicken is good! I see asparagus dishes ordered a lot too. It still doesn't change my point that rice dishes have to be on the menu.

Man I love Thai food.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-27-2007 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I alone in being able to use both chopsticks, and fork and knife?

This probably puts me in the top 1% of the population.

[/ QUOTE ]
I pretty much never use a fork. Its pretty [censored] pointless unless you are trying to cut a steak. Objects that you stab are easier to pick up with chop sticks.

El Diablo 11-27-2007 11:39 PM

garcia,

"Am I alone in being able to use both chopsticks, and fork and knife?"

No. Pretty much every non-Asian in the Bay Area knows how to use chopsticks. And some of the Asians know how to use knife and fork.

frad 11-27-2007 11:57 PM

is it really necessary to write a page of text on rather you should eat rice with chopsticks or not? just eat the [censored] rice..

MC Chris 11-28-2007 08:49 AM

again tdarko i really think you are flat out wrong here but you probably will not admit it. there are definitely stand alone rice dishes in thai cuisine and i'm not talking about "american" thai cuisine. they don't serve rice dishes just because americans don't order curry dishes, that's just ludicrous, and like diablo said i'm not even sure it's true that those rice dishes are ordered more often.

if you don't believe me that's fine but i think you at the very least have to defer to the knowledge of kkf on this one.

give it up yo!

Victor 11-28-2007 09:00 AM

eating at the chinese restaruant with some white friends. dude asks for chopsticks, i guess he wanted to be cultural or something. obv he mishandles dumpling and it careens in his soup splashing brown spots all over his nice white button down.

JokersAttack 11-28-2007 09:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
eating at the chinese restaruant with some white friends. dude asks for chopsticks, i guess he wanted to be cultural or something. obv he mishandles dumpling and it careens in his soup splashing brown spots all over his nice white button down.

[/ QUOTE ]

this made me lol

tdarko 11-28-2007 09:50 AM

MC Chris,

Are you arguing for the sake of arguing. Both posts you have made in response to me really don't make much sense.

1. When did I say there weren't stand alone rice dishes at Thai restaurants?

2. Go back and re-read my posts, I actually say that rice dishes have to be on the menu--I believe this is to meet a certain demographic.

3. Pay attention when reading, not only did you not understand what I was writing but you thought I was arguing...wtf?

Hoya 11-28-2007 11:15 AM

tdarko,

You seemed to suggest that rice-based dishes were not "actual Thai dishes." This is what Chris is disputing, and his post did make sense.

I have no idea about any of this, and this is a really stupid thread, but I thought I'd clear this up.

MC Chris 11-28-2007 11:15 AM

tdarko,

i have been paying attention. if you read my posts you will find it is clear that i know what you are saying.

[ QUOTE ]
Go back and re-read my posts, I actually say that rice dishes have to be on the menu--I believe this is to meet a certain demographic.

[/ QUOTE ]

how can you say i need to go back and re-read your posts when i actually addressed this exact issue? i clearly said you are flat out wrong that stand alone rice dishes have to be on the menu to meet a certain demographic. the proof is that these stand alone rice dishes exist IN THAILAND AND ARE EATEN BY THE THAI PEOPLE NOT JUST WHITEY McCRACKER.

you are coming off as batsh** crazy in this thread. you can still save some face though if you just admit you were up late last night or hungover currently. it's a standard defense when relaying SAT scores i know that much.

jogsxyz 11-28-2007 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
tdarko,

You seemed to suggest that rice-based dishes were not "actual Thai dishes." This is what Chris is disputing, and his post did make sense.

I have no idea about any of this, and this is a really stupid thread, but I thought I'd clear this up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been in inner Thailand. No one wants to eat actual Thai dishes.

BeerMoney 11-28-2007 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tdarko,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what this means........

But let me say this... Fried rice is very much a stand alone meal in Thailand. I can't comment on how the fried rice is at places in the states is, but I would imagine it is fine. I will say that the food at most american Thai restaurants is similar to what is found over here, and sometimes better.

Any donkey who claims crap like "It's not authentic Thai food" is likely just trying to sound smart.

Frelo 11-28-2007 12:08 PM

As mentioned in the Wiki page, fried rice is basically a leftover meal, just as you could eat almost anything with bread.

In Vietnam, I've only seen tourists (including myself) eating fried rice, all locals eat plain rice with meat/veggies apart.

JokersAttack 11-28-2007 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tdarko,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.techstickle.co.uk/wp-cont...rren_hayes.jpg

Oski 11-28-2007 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is it really necessary to write a page of text on rather you should eat rice with chopsticks or not? just eat the [censored] rice..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. But, how?

tdarko 11-28-2007 12:56 PM

Hoya,

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am saying that Chicken Fried Rice is not a Thai dish. Basil Chicken is a rice dish and is of course "an actual Thai dish," just like much of the menu. I just said that the small part of the menu at the bottom that is fried rice HAS to be on the menu--El D didn't disagree, the only thing that was disagreed w/ was when I said that this part of the menu was ordered more often than the Thai dishes (Curry, Basil etc.) which if El D is willing to "wager big money" then I would be willing to believe that I am wrong on that comment.

Then this Chris guy comes in talking about how "there are DEFINITELY STAND ALONE RICE DISHES IN THAI RESTAURANTS" lol wtf? I had just said that. So I make a post telling him that I had just said that and that he can't read properly, then he once again makes a post that doesn't make sense saying that "STAND ALONE RICE DISHES EXIST IN THAILAND BLAH BLAH BLAH" lol, no [censored]...I have said this over and over, why is this guy repeating what I am saying and yelling at me as well? This thread is comical.

MC Chris 11-28-2007 12:59 PM

tdarko you are ignoring my posts it seems!!

i am not disputing that you said there are stand alone rice dishes in thai cuisine. me stating something doesn't mean i'm saying you disagree.

the thing is you stated clearly that you believe the reason those dishes exist is basically for white people who want rice. you are absolutely dead wrong and i want you to admit that.

does anyone out there have a brain? please tell me who is making more sense, MC Chris or tdarko?

MC Chris 11-28-2007 01:01 PM

Oski 11-28-2007 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tdarko you are ignoring my posts it seems!!

i am not disputing that you said there are stand alone rice dishes in thai cuisine. me stating something doesn't mean i'm saying you disagree.

the thing is you stated clearly that you believe the reason those dishes exist is basically for white people who want rice. you are absolutely dead wrong and i want you to admit that.

does anyone out there have a brain? please tell me who is making more sense, MC Chris or tdarko?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is Mc Cris, and does he post in OOT?

tdarko 11-28-2007 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the thing is you stated clearly that you believe the reason those dishes exist is basically for white people who want rice.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG you're a troll. Show me where I said this...if you think the word "demographic" only means race/ethnicity then you are mistaken, b/c that is the only thing I can find in which you could possibly think that I "clearly stated that those dishes exist basically for white people who want rice."

MC Chris 11-28-2007 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thai food is meat based not rice based fwiw, rice dishes are only there b/c many people don't eat traditional Thai.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sorry that i interpreted "many people" as white people. clearly you just meant "people".

but at the end of that quote you do insinuate that rice dishes aren't "traditional thai" do you not?

XXXNoahXXX 11-28-2007 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thai food is meat based not rice based fwiw, rice dishes are only there b/c many people don't eat traditional Thai.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sorry that i interpreted "many people" as white people.

[/ QUOTE ]

racist ban plsonetimeftw

punkass 11-28-2007 01:35 PM

you two are both losers. can't we go back to talking about rice. that subject beats whatever you two are arguing about.

tdarko 11-28-2007 02:02 PM

punkass,

[ QUOTE ]
you two are both losers. can't we go back to talking about rice. that subject beats whatever you two are arguing about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you be a loser if someone came out of nowhere, you weren't talking to them, they started to twist your words around to create an argument and all you do is defend yourself? If that happened to you, would it make you a loser? You are calling me a loser for being trolled.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-28-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tdarko,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what this means........

But let me say this... Fried rice is very much a stand alone meal in Thailand. I can't comment on how the fried rice is at places in the states is, but I would imagine it is fine. I will say that the food at most american Thai restaurants is similar to what is found over here, and sometimes better.

Any donkey who claims crap like "It's not authentic Thai food" is likely just trying to sound smart.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Thai restaurants I went to in the USA after living in Thailand were horrible. It seems like you probably prefer fusion if you think Thai food sometimes tastes better in the USA than it does in Thailand. As for authenticity, that might be the case for the simplest of meals like green curry or grapow but there dozens of very common Thai meals that I can't imagine being replicated in the USA due to the lack of ingredients. When I search for pictures of Thai food on Yahoo images, I cant tell 100% from each picture whether it was taken in Thailand or not.

If you guys can't even get them to give you chopsticks, how are going to get anything with more than two green chilies?

We tried to cook some cook Thai meals for my family with ingredients brought back and they couldn't eat more than a few spoonfuls. The Thai palate (once you go beyond pad thai) takes some getting used to. Here are some photos for your viewing pleasure.
http://www.thaitable.com/images/Thai...li%20Sauce.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2255/...97a3712040.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2327/...b98480221d.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/...7a9f4578d5.jpg

J.A.Sucker 11-28-2007 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
garcia,

"Am I alone in being able to use both chopsticks, and fork and knife?"

No. Pretty much every non-Asian in the Bay Area knows how to use chopsticks. And some of the Asians know how to use knife and fork.

[/ QUOTE ]

... once again proving that we live in the Modern Cradle of Civilization.

MC Chris 11-28-2007 02:19 PM

i'm not trolling man, can you just answer this?

when you said:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did you mean to imply that rice dishes != traditional thai?