Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   September's Bells and Schools Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=491980)

katyseagull 09-25-2007 12:33 PM

Re: September\'s Bells and Schools Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Wow I caught the trailer for 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age' this weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vITxj7Tq4f4

This film looks fantastic, and I look forward to watching Elizabeth and the English Navy kicking ass and starting the Empire that would rule the seas for centuries [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Haven't seen the first movie Elizabeth yet, so will be hunting it down. Anyone seen it?

=======================

[/ QUOTE ]

Rather a belated sequel is it not? Are you going to watch the first Elizabeth? It's very good. You should not skip it.

diebitter 09-25-2007 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Rather a belated sequel is it not? Are you going to watch the first Elizabeth? It's very good. You should not skip it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are 3 films planned to span the entire reign of Elizabeth I. This is the second obviously, but I do think they are spacing them out quite widely to allow Blanchett to age some.

tuq 09-25-2007 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in a horrible mood. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I feel like yelling at someone. please direct me to a thread where someone needs to be yelled at.

I would go into the mod forum and yell but those people scare the hell out of me. The last thing I need is a bunch of strangers ganging up on me to jump my [censored] because i yelled at them.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's scary about the mod forum other than NT!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

If you want to yell at someone just go to BBV4L. That's standard behavior there. Sometimes it's funny.

diebitter 09-25-2007 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What's scary about the mod forum other than NT!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've probably not seen it in your still-fresh modship, but when a group of specific mods get a bee in their bonnet about something, it's pretty much akin to a gang of howler monkeys yowling at the moon.

But without the common sense and sophistication.

tuq 09-25-2007 01:13 PM

diebitter,

I'm sure you're right, and I look forward to some sweet ModWars™ in the hopefully not too distant future.

diebitter 09-25-2007 01:16 PM

It's just not the same without [censored]. I just can't find a real challenge any more.

katyseagull 09-25-2007 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you want to yell at someone just go to BBV4L. That's standard behavior there. Sometimes it's funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to feel sort of sorry for NT [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] i don't know what that means.

I think a lot of my apprehension has to do with how I picture the other mods. I imagine them to look just like the crazy guy who lives across the street from me. Anyway, i appreciate your suggestion of bbv4life. I will check it out and see who i can yell at [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Wynton 09-25-2007 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in a horrible mood. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I feel like yelling at someone. please direct me to a thread where someone needs to be yelled at.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome to yell at me. It would probably do us both some good.

I've been goofing off all day, ever since I got the news that a trial is probably being postponed, even though I have plenty of other work. I'm sure I deserve to be yelled at.

If procrastination doesn't give you a good enough excuse, I'll come up with something else.

daveT 09-25-2007 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would go into the mod forum and yell but those people scare the hell out of me. The last thing I need is a bunch of strangers ganging up on me to jump my [censored] because i yelled at them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be an excellent thread in BBV4Life.

Just title it: "I fell like being a ##### today."

Then just open up calling everyone a bunch of [censored] virgins.

And then get creative, the response will be very long. You may even beat Miss Chriss in popularity.

NhlNut 09-25-2007 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it that time of the month?
<font color="white"> Ducks and covers, preparing to be yelled at.</font>

Kimbell175113 09-25-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know katy was a werewolf.

pryor15 09-26-2007 12:04 AM

katy,

yell at me. i have writer's block

katyseagull 09-26-2007 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You're welcome to yell at me. It would probably do us both some good.

I've been goofing off all day, ever since I got the news that a trial is probably being postponed, even though I have plenty of other work. I'm sure I deserve to be yelled at.

If procrastination doesn't give you a good enough excuse, I'll come up with something else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it must be nice, fooling around all day on message boards. Don't you think you ought to get back to work and serve your clients? If you don't have any "work" work then I'm sure there's stuff you could be doing around the house and yard. Stop acting so entitled and get off your ass would ya? ([img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) You know, those of us who hire attorneys do so thinking that they will actually be putting their best foot forward for us, not playing around on a damn poker site all day long [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. Sheesh, $200/hr (shaking head)

(i really do like Wynton [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

katyseagull 09-26-2007 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come close to your screen Nh1, let me smack you. No it is not that time of month! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I have a valid reason for my horrible mood I assure you.

entertainme 09-26-2007 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Come close to your screen Nh1, let me smack you. No it is not that time of month! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I have a valid reason for my horrible mood I assure you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I approve of this Katy, even if she did say this about me:

[ QUOTE ]
I think a lot of my apprehension has to do with how I picture the other mods. I imagine them to look just like the crazy guy who lives across the street from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be getting apologetic, you'll ruin the rush you've got going, mmkay? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

P.S. I wanna play too...

Sometimes you just gotta tell the whole world to [censored] off!

tuq 09-26-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Translation: yes, it's that time of the month. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

tuq 09-26-2007 06:49 PM

All,

I was just driving down the street, toggling my Sirius receiver. I saw a Neil Diamond song and nothing personal but kept on surfing. I scrolled to the next station but it stayed on Neil Diamond. HALLO, I SCROLLED U. Turns out they were playing Neil Diamond songs on both the 60s and 70s channels! Girl, You'll Be A Woman Soon on the 60s and I Am, I Said on the 70s. The latter is an underrated song IMO, and it will probably get killed by this pole I'm about to make because of the former's prominent inclusion in Pulp Fiction.

katyseagull 09-26-2007 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The latter is an underrated song IMO, and it will probably get killed by this pole I'm about to make because of the former's prominent inclusion in Pulp Fiction.

[/ QUOTE ]

The latter is one of the worst songs in the history of songs! Not because of the lyrics, the lyrics are sort of interesting. It's the tune combined with the dude's voice. Ick.

This part in particular drives me nuts -

Did you ever read about a frog who dreamed of being a king
And then became one
Well, except for the names and a few other changes
If you talk about me, the story's the same one

daveT 09-26-2007 07:17 PM

I would like to vote, but I am too lazy to open my rhapsody, which I am listening to right now, and look up Neil Diamond.

Blarg 09-26-2007 07:39 PM

I'm tolerant toward a lot of pop music, but I can't quite manage it for Neil Diamond.

I dig his empathy with chairs, though.

NhlNut 09-26-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't know katy was a werewolf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Son,
They are all werewolves.

katyseagull 09-29-2007 01:10 PM

I've discovered how delicious Indian food is. Do you think it's fattening? I want to eat tons and tons of it. When I'm at the buffet I want to go back for seconds but I feel a little funny about that. Do other countries have buffets or is it just an American thing? Does anyone else want to help themselves to seconds at an Indian buffet?

daveT 09-29-2007 01:25 PM

Indian food is very healthy for you. These places are all over LA, but they don't have any buffets here.

Got my x-ray results, everything is perfectly normal. The foot is better, but I guess it is going to take a while before it is totally normal.

katyseagull 09-30-2007 10:56 AM

I'm at work on a Sunday morning. Who's feeling sorry for me? Anyone? I'm such a responsible individual. And lest you think I'm not actually working because I'm typing up this post, you are semi-wrong. I am indeed working to put together a report.

Oliver Twist - Changing topics, last night I was bored with the forums so I watched Oliver Twist directed by Polanski. It was not very good. I thought Polanski was supposed to be good. The best thing about it was Ben Kingsly. Otherwise, the performances and cinematography were wholly unimpressive. The casting was uninspired. I would have filmed it differently, much better. It could have been awesome.

MrWookie 09-30-2007 01:20 PM

No sympathy from me. My plan today was to go to church and from there go into lab. However, I ended up sleeping till almost 1 am thanks to hitting the wrong button on my alarm and being up until 4am last night thanks to, you guessed it, being in lab late. I'm going to surpass a 70 hr week by the time I turn in tonight, and since Monday, I've been in lab until 2am or later 4 times. Next week? I'm pretty much going to be keeping the same hours. This is brutal.

katyseagull 09-30-2007 01:43 PM

70 hours?!! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] That is brutal! I feel so sorry for you.

What do you do late at night in the lab and how do you stay awake? Can you surf the internet?

MrWookie 09-30-2007 02:39 PM

It's a computational lab, so I'm doing nothing but working at a computer. I do sometimes come up for air and check a few token things on the internet and this forum. Staring at/writing FORTRAN code nonstop can slowly drive a man insane, so the occasional, brief break is invaluable. Currently in the lab fridge I have 3 cans of Red Bull and one can of Coke. I have a half empty 20 oz cup of coffee next to me. To paraphrase the old saying, I am a machine that turns caffeine into FORTRAN code.

diebitter 09-30-2007 05:39 PM

FORTRAN? WTF?

How old is that puter?

MrWookie 09-30-2007 07:32 PM

My workstation is less than 3 months old, and code is intended to run on any and all of the world's most modern supercomputers. However, the first version of this code I'm working on was written back in the 80s, and rather than completely rewrite something that already works well in C++ or something, the FORTRAN code has been updated and revised since then.

katyseagull 09-30-2007 07:54 PM

Fortran huh. Do you like programming? Also, are you alone in the lab and isn't it creepy at that time of night?

MrWookie 09-30-2007 07:59 PM

I can't say I'm the biggest fan of coding, even though I'm decent at it, and I do get a fair bit of satisfaction out of things working. I'm happier coding as a means to an end rather than when coding is all I'm really doing.

Yeah, I'm in here alone, but it's not exactly creepy. It's just me alone it a quiet lab. There aren't any weird noises or weird people walking around.

MrWookie 09-30-2007 10:57 PM

All,

Bam! I'm finished with a first draft of my code. Now the debugging begins, which, of course, is the hard part. However, I'm feeling pretty good about having pulled off as much as I did in as little time as I did. Rather than continuing to work through tonight, I'm going to go home and pour myself some alcohol. I'll resume the late nights in lab tomorrow.

Borodog,

10k post yo?

diebitter 10-01-2007 01:44 AM

I remember one time in my life I was doing like 14-16 hour days, and finding it hard to sleep, so I'd play doom for an hour or two (Doom had just come out, and it was the business!). But one day, I'm alone inthe building and walking down a corridor, and started imagining those big giant floating head things were about to come floating out of open doorways just ahread of me.

I was VERY tired.

Cut out the Doom after that.

Blarg 10-01-2007 11:41 AM

Lots of people made Doom maps of their offices back in the day. That was just slightly before that kind of goof started being considered sociopathic and legally actionable.

Wynton 10-01-2007 12:37 PM

I think you guys are having a longer September than me. For some reason, I'm already in October.

katyseagull 10-01-2007 12:47 PM

October, are you sure? My calender has yet to be flipped here. I'm going with September until somebody walks over and flips it.

diebitter 10-01-2007 01:00 PM

Katy

It's October!