Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Favorite Classic Nintendo Game (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546512)

punkass 11-15-2007 01:45 PM

Re: Favorite Classic Nintendo Game

My personal faves:

Bionic Commando (was the only one of my friends to beat it...going across the air bridge was hard)
SMB3, obviously
SMB1 (no warping: lets you play the worlds you always warped over, like 3 and 5.)
Dr. Mario
Tetris
Double Dragon
Double Dragon II
Joust
Contra
Super C

Good stuff...maybe I'll dust off the old system when I get home tonight.

punkass 11-15-2007 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently bought one of these...
FC Twin

Several awesome games:
Mario 3..duh
Blades of Steel
Caveman Games
Captain Skyhawk

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, i got one of those fc twin things from ebay. works like a charm.

Your Mom 11-15-2007 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a few i loved:

1. contra
2. punch-out
3. ice hockey (the skinny, fat, med guys idea was awesome)

and a few others, not as good but I played lots:

jaws
kung fu
rc pro-am
pinball

[/ QUOTE ]

man ice hockey was so awesome. Loved to be a fat Russian, it just seemed fitting for some reason.

TheMetetron 11-15-2007 01:58 PM

You guys are slipping. Unless I missed it no one has mentioned...

http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_i...creenShot1.jpg

The premise of this game just boggles my mind looking back on it. What the hell were my parents thinking buying this for me?

tdarko 11-15-2007 02:09 PM

Man, this thread rocks so hard. I am now getting an emulator so I can be unproductive and sit saucer-eyed in front of my computer.

1C5 11-15-2007 02:36 PM

the best part about blaeds of steel was only the loser the the fight got the penalty hahahahahaha, brilliant

skeptix 11-15-2007 02:39 PM

http://www.tomheroes.com/images/NES%...Lolo%20box.jpg

stormstarter28 11-15-2007 02:51 PM

Destination Earthstar. Not my absolute fave, but a good game that got little love.

Rootabager 11-15-2007 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
castlevania 2 simon's quest is the best game of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man that is a really terrible choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. Those messages where it changes from day to night were so [censored] annoying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Angry Nintendo Nerd talks about Castlevania II

[/ QUOTE ]

you guys are haters. This game rocks.

Assani Fisher 11-15-2007 02:55 PM

Re: FAVORITE CLASSIC NINTENDO GAME

[ QUOTE ]
http://i18.tinypic.com/8f2bf9z.jpg

Tecmo SUPER Bowl . . . and its not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Its a crime that you're the first person to mention it( TECMO BOWL AND TECMO SUPER BOWL ARE TWO DIFFERENT GAMES ). And for the record, I crush all in this game.

bitch moan count

Assani Fisher 11-15-2007 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo Super Bowl is my favorite. I recently started playing it online and its taken it to another level of greatness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain to me(go slowly as I'm bad at computers) how to do this...I'm guessing you buy a controller to hook up through the USB port?

BM count

Requin 11-15-2007 03:00 PM

Don't know if its been mentioned but 2 player Darius was great

Oh you mean really classic nintendo, nm

Eurotrash 11-15-2007 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Metroid.

runners-up include Mike Tyson's Punch Out, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior III-IV, Bionic Commando, Faxanadu, Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3, Tecmo Super Bowl, River City Ransom, and many others.

I feel very strongly about this, all things considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

imo you have good taste in NES games, nath.

I'll mention a few you listed and add some others:

dragon warrior 1-4
metroid
Destiny of an Emperor
River City Ransom
Final Fantasy
Crystalis
Zelda 1, 2
Faxanadu
Castlevania 2
Megaman 2

edit: and for whoever said Castlevania 2's dialogue from day/night etc. was bad, i thought those made the game even more fun. WHAT A TERRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE, imo.

Keepitsimple 11-15-2007 03:25 PM

world cup

dragonystic 11-15-2007 03:33 PM

Haven't seen it mentioned. But Archon was huge in my house. Dark side pwnd everything.

Borgland 11-15-2007 03:36 PM

FF 1
Dragon Warrior
Tecmo Bowl

JuntMonkey 11-15-2007 03:51 PM

Guys there's an entire forum for this on the left. Video Games under Other Topics.

Maniac Mansion

What rocks so hard about just listing off all the NES games you used to play, especially when the thread is "favorite" and not "favorites"?

siccjay 11-15-2007 03:54 PM

I gotta get this off my chest.

I NEVER BEAT MIKE TYSON! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

TomVeil 11-15-2007 03:54 PM

This thread is awesome. You guys have covered every game that I can think of except:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Simulator_1.000

Oh my god was this game fun, especially two player.

pokerOpus 11-15-2007 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tecmo Super Bowl is my favorite. I recently started playing it online and its taken it to another level of greatness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain to me(go slowly as I'm bad at computers) how to do this...I'm guessing you buy a controller to hook up through the USB port?

BM count

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.sois.com/tpc/main.php

All the info is on this site. Just buy a USB controller from Best Buy and go to the FAQ on the site and it will tell you everything you need to know.

siccjay 11-15-2007 03:58 PM

Someone mentioned it. It was pretty awesome. I used to make teams with all my friends and we would give them all ratings like we thought we all were. So awesome.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it seemed that players hot and cold streaks were repetitive. Like the player I made myself would always start out cold every season and then end up hot.

TomVeil 11-15-2007 04:08 PM

Are you sure that's the game? I don't rememebr the cold and hot streaks. That was....RBI 2??

Hollywade 11-15-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DR MARIO - simple gameplay, addicting, fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I always preferred this over Tetris.

Jzo19 11-15-2007 04:12 PM

dont know y this isnt getting love

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/4...ndfieldgz9.jpg

i was teh [censored] at the hurdles ...but i could never figure out the high jump =(

Hollywade 11-15-2007 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NES Open was made at the very end of the Nintendo run, but is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the first golf game that I really got into. It was a lot of fun. I have always maintained that any game involving Mario and cohorts is bound to be awesome.

This trend continued all the way through N64 with the Mario Party series, Mario Golf, and Mario Kart. I sunk so many hours into those last two that it's ridiculous. Those along with Perfect Dark and 007, but I guess that's a story for another thread.

Hollywade 11-15-2007 04:15 PM

Championship Bowling anyone?

Or perhaps another obscure choice, Adventures in the Magic Kingdom...a game much more difficult than you would expect.

Of course I used to play a lot of Jeopardy! too. It got to be somewhat automatic when you had 75% of the questions memorized, but it was fun to try to rack up ridiculous dollar amounts.

Triumph36 11-15-2007 04:28 PM

nath - awesome re: faxanadu. i got past conflate, but i just don't remember ever beating the final boss. maybe i did. i know i went back to that first store at the beginning of the game to get death.

i said baseball simulator 1.000 - still play it w/ my brother when he's around (tho the red team is rigged - 150 points wtf)

how did i forget bionic commando? and why did people think this game was super hard? i must've had a cheat guide to it - it wasn't that difficult for me. maybe if you are a super nerd like me and spent a half hour on the first level killing paratroopers for more life blocks.

little known fact about Bionic Commando - thanks wikipedia:

The original Japanese version of Bionic Commando placed the character in a battle against futuristic Nazis. The final boss was Adolf Hitler, who had been resurrected by evil scientists. All references to Nazism were removed from the American release: the swastikas were replaced by albatross figures, the enemies were renamed from "Nazis" to "Badds" (though the backstory in the instruction manual referred to them as Nazz) and the overall difficulty of the game was reduced. The final boss's name was changed to "Master-D", but he still clearly resembles Adolf Hitler. There is a notably gory ending sequence in which he is shot in the face, which was kept intact in the American version; an unusual move, considering Nintendo of America's heavy censorship issues at the time. All these changes remained for the European version, but the game manual still mentions Nazis. The story featured in the English version of the game begins with a search for Super Joe, who was the main character of the arcade version and Commando.

god this game would've been even more awesome with this

Triumph36 11-15-2007 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my favorite was bionic commando

bionic commando vault

[/ QUOTE ]

get out of my way, you nerd!

1C5 11-15-2007 04:33 PM

how happy were you the first time you learnt about the turtle shell/ stairs trick to get like 99 men in mario? but you had to be careful and count because if you got too greedy and took too many your game would be over...

TheNoodleMan 11-15-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nath - awesome re: faxanadu. i got past conflate, but i just don't remember ever beating the final boss. maybe i did. i know i went back to that first store at the beginning of the game to get death.

i said baseball simulator 1.000 - still play it w/ my brother when he's around (tho the red team is rigged - 150 points wtf)

how did i forget bionic commando? and why did people think this game was super hard? i must've had a cheat guide to it - it wasn't that difficult for me. maybe if you are a super nerd like me and spent a half hour on the first level killing paratroopers for more life blocks.

little known fact about Bionic Commando - thanks wikipedia:

The original Japanese version of Bionic Commando placed the character in a battle against futuristic Nazis. The final boss was Adolf Hitler, who had been resurrected by evil scientists. All references to Nazism were removed from the American release: the swastikas were replaced by albatross figures, the enemies were renamed from "Nazis" to "Badds" (though the backstory in the instruction manual referred to them as Nazz) and the overall difficulty of the game was reduced. The final boss's name was changed to "Master-D", but he still clearly resembles Adolf Hitler. There is a notably gory ending sequence in which he is shot in the face, which was kept intact in the American version; an unusual move, considering Nintendo of America's heavy censorship issues at the time. All these changes remained for the European version, but the game manual still mentions Nazis. The story featured in the English version of the game begins with a search for Super Joe, who was the main character of the arcade version and Commando.

god this game would've been even more awesome with this

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com...r_Explodes.gif

Triumph36 11-15-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol that was definitely deserved, oh well

gumpzilla 11-15-2007 04:53 PM

I think the ones I liked have all been mentioned in this thread, but my favorites were probably (in about this order)

Crystalis
Baseball Stars
River City Ransom
Bionic Commando

Baseball Stars and RCR both added RPGish elements to genres that didn't typically exhibit them, which was a big hit for me at the time, and I've actually played both of those games within the last couple years. A lot of the older RPGs are pretty damn annoying to try and replay (I'm looking at you, Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy I), so they suffer in my eyes, though I did like them as a kid.

I love love love the Metroid series, but strangely don't find the original all that compelling. Super Metroid is probably my most loved game of all time though. Similarly, I think the first Zelda game would have been a tedious [censored] grind but for the widespread knowledge of how to do everything in that game anyway, but most of the rest of the games are awesome.

(EDIT: Also, as a 11 year old or whatever, I found Life Force >> Contra.)

(EDIT: Just thought of two more games that I remembered finding distinctive and enjoying: The Immortal and Legacy of the Wizard.)

casey_brick 11-15-2007 05:00 PM

Super Mario 3
Contra
Gradius
Zelda
Super Techmo Bowl

If you want to relive some of the classics, here ya go

12ressiMorP 11-15-2007 05:05 PM

I could never beat the final guy on bubble bobble. I'd get him in a bubble, pop him, and then he'd just go super fast and id put him in a bubble pop him, repeat over and over, the guy never died.

nath 11-15-2007 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How come no one has posted Gauntlet yet?

[/ QUOTE ]
I did. In fact, someone quoted me mentioning it.

[ QUOTE ]
My 2nd choice, and i don't think its been picked yet (Some people just listed the series) is easily the best of its series...

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh, I thought it was too easy. It was really well-balanced and fun, though. I never really played much of any of them after 3.
[ QUOTE ]
The premise of this game just boggles my mind looking back on it. What the hell were my parents thinking buying this for me?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have no idea, haha. I remember being really fascinated with the premise as a kid, and then when I finally got to play the game (like, in college), the controls were screwy (oh, so I have to TAP up to jump, otherwise i just walk up! Awesome! I'm sure that won't cause any problems!) and it wasn't nearly as fun as I'd hoped.

[ QUOTE ]
That's because nath mentioned every single title ever made for the NES in his posts.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

There were over 800 released in the U.S. I just picked the couple dozen or so that I spent an inordinate amount of my life on.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, I did the same thing. I'm surprised you didn't notice the Nazi references before-- the last boss is very clearly Hitler. BTW, I'm pretty sure you can download a ROM version that's been hacked to change all the imagery and dialogue to re-insert the Nazi references.

[ QUOTE ]
Guys there's an entire forum for this on the left. Video Games under Other Topics.

Maniac Mansion

What rocks so hard about just listing off all the NES games you used to play, especially when the thread is "favorite" and not "favorites"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, go be a killjoy somewhere else.

siccjay 11-15-2007 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you sure that's the game? I don't rememebr the cold and hot streaks. That was....RBI 2??

[/ QUOTE ]

They never actually mentioned hot or cold streaks. It just happened. Mostly when you simmed a lot of games. Like I could start a season and sim the first half and certain players would always have a bad first half and certain ones would always have a great first half etc etc.

nath 11-15-2007 05:10 PM

Gumpzilla-- I like the way you think about NES games.

I too liked Legacy of the Wizard, and I played Immortal but never really got into it (although it's definitely unique and seems like it could be lots of fun-- I just remember not being able to figure out how to beat anything).

nath 11-15-2007 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol that was definitely deserved, oh well

[/ QUOTE ]
This really needs to be slowed down for the full effect imo

casey_brick 11-15-2007 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are slipping. Unless I missed it no one has mentioned...

http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_i...creenShot1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG how could I have forgotten about NARC? I wasted 6 months of my life playing that game.

TonyDanza 11-15-2007 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad news for me. I will be playing this all the time. Can you still pull the nose-tackle slide?