Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Slate.com on race and IQ (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=553223)

tame_deuces 11-24-2007 10:48 PM

Re: Slate.com on race and IQ

Personally I can't wait until we toss the damn useless intelligence measure out the window and start doing what humans have done with all other tools since the dawn of time - judge them by their usefulness.

Besides its moot. In wouldn't be an extreme prediction to say that in a 100 years we are symbosing with machines who excels us beyond current imagination in efficiency, capability and speed in the the mental faculties these silly articles refer to as intelligence.

For the author to hint at genetic modification as a future solution is retarded.

Subfallen 11-24-2007 10:48 PM

Albinus?

Splendour 11-24-2007 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Albinus?

[/ QUOTE ]

See Nabokov. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Subfallen 11-24-2007 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Albinus?

[/ QUOTE ]

See Nabokov. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, we do have stuff in common, although apparently you know your Nabokov better than I do (still don't get the reference.) Love him soooo much tho.

Splendour 11-24-2007 10:58 PM

jk....wouldn't dare call you Humbert Humbert.

Subfallen 11-24-2007 11:03 PM

Ok, that I do get. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Jack10 11-25-2007 03:46 AM

What is race?

vhawk01 11-25-2007 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You do understand that this is an intellectual shooting war. The concept of a black/white intelligence difference wasn't even argued in the negative until maybe 50 years ago.

Good news for your side. IQ is being deconstructed. Race is being deconstructed. All associated discussion is nearly a firing offense. Bravo.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why people think that it is so much of a taboo to talk about these things. Obviously a lot of work in this area is being published and discussed.

Obviously whenever someone claims to have proof that one race is "better" than another in some sense or another people are skeptical of their motives. Historically speaking there is good reason for this since we have a long history of prejudice and racism.

There is also a reason that race and IQ are being deconstructed. Namely, the fact that neither of them are accurate measures of what we commonly think they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

InTheDark has crafted himself a nice little cocoon so that he need never be contradicted on any of his beliefs. If something is published that discredits his ideas, it is simply a vehicle of the PC machine. If people like you admit they are willing to talk about race and IQ in an honest manner, it is some sort of trap/the second you disagree you are just another PC drone. This is his MO. His armor is impenetrable. I'm trying to figure out what possible argument or evidence could be presented that would make him reconsider his position but I'm now certain that no such thing could ever exist.

Fly 11-25-2007 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I can't wait until we toss the damn useless intelligence measure out the window and start doing what humans have done with all other tools since the dawn of time - judge them by their usefulness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think intelligence tests measure nothing at all? If not, what do you think they measure and why is it useless?

Taraz 11-25-2007 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why people think that it is so much of a taboo to talk about these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you cloistered? Larry Summers took a boot up the ass for saying only the mildest of unPC heresy. Academia is unforgiving and dogmatic in the extreme.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you possibly claim that these things aren't discussed? The article that was linked to cited several recent papers and books. These things are very much discussed in the academic community. In fact, several people have made careers out of studying just these issues.

If people do good research, it will get published. Believe it or not, it is in the best interests of an academic to publish controversial results. They will get attention and attention = money. There is no problem so long as you don't make offhanded comments like Watson's "if you've ever worked with a black man you know what I'm talking about."