Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   QQ nl50 bet river?? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=533896)

Profish2285 10-29-2007 05:47 PM

Re: PART TWO - QQ nl50 bet river??

Well I mean if he has a stat like that, thats a very important thing to mention. Obviously then he has an A like 100% of the time. I dont assume people have 98% fold to c-bet stats.

wslee00 10-29-2007 06:15 PM

pro - let's look at this from villain's perspective.

His pf and flop actions are suspect, as he had AK, but say he had something like A6s for argument's sake.

Your argument is that he played trip aces pretty badly in this spot. When the second ace comes out on turn villain should be thinking, the odds of OP having the 4th ace is slim. What is betting going to accomplish when villain can show weakness by checking and getting OP to "value-bet" or bluff the river?

Unless villain just got caught bluffing a paired board, or if he feels OP is a station, then this is a pretty obvious check since OP will fold basically everything villain beats.

Profish2285 10-29-2007 06:18 PM

Why do you think that though? From villains point of view, why cant hero make a call with two pair here? And assuming you want to check the turn which I do understand, how is checking the river standard at all? If you have trips dont you want to extract some value from your hand? Villain has no reason to believe hero will value bet as he could be holding nothing at all, and he has no reason to believe hero will bluff unless hero has shown a tendency to do this.

wslee00 10-29-2007 06:21 PM

Re: QQ nl50 bet river??

Here's a point by point of the post that I disagree with

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and if this is how he plays trip aces, please make a note on this terrible player. One more thing, if he truly has trip aces, why the hell would he not bet on the river at least?

[/ QUOTE ]
b/c we most likely don't have one - what does betting the river really accomplish for villain?

[ QUOTE ]
What makes him assume you are going to bet again on the river? He doesnt know we have QQ, so he cant assume anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
nothing, but if villain bets, he folds out almost our entire range. I think it's better that villain checks to give us a chance to bluff the river.

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, just wow if he plays an A like this. I could even understand the flop check, but any decent player is going to raise due to draws.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are no real draws

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming he doesnt, how can anyone just check the turn and river with an A? But like I said, this is still a bet/fold regardless. I doubt he is going to check raise with worse on the river, but I feel he can definitely CALL with worse.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes - as i said - i agree that we must bet the river, but that doesn't necessarily mean his play is bad if he has the third A

wslee00 10-29-2007 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think that though? From villains point of view, why cant hero make a call with two pair here?

[/ QUOTE ]
would you call with queens if villain bets the river?

[ QUOTE ]
And assuming you want to check the turn which I do understand, how is checking the river standard at all? If you have trips dont you want to extract some value from your hand? Villain has no reason to believe hero will value bet as he could be holding nothing at all, and he has no reason to believe hero will bluff unless hero has shown a tendency to do this.

[/ QUOTE ]
true - hero may not bluff, but will he ever call a bet? no. at least there is a chance that hero will bluff with air.

Profish2285 10-29-2007 07:03 PM

No, I would fold QQ here as a river donk is almost always a better hand. With that said, why do we assume that villain knows this?

wslee00 10-29-2007 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I would fold QQ here as a river donk is almost always a better hand. With that said, why do we assume that villain knows this?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's the whole point! You say that villain played this badly, but obviously, since he checked the river, he didn't play badly at all!!!!

You're losing sight of the argument. You keep saying that villain played his trip aces badly. I'm saying he didn't.

Profish2285 10-29-2007 08:01 PM

I will admit, I was probably wrong with the turn action, I can see checking here as being correct. But, I still hold that the river check is garbage. While it is true that there is a reasonable chance a river bet from villain folds out hero, there is also a very reasonable chance that hero checks behind. Basically, we are guessing which one is less likely, a check from hero, or a fold from hero. I think a check is much more likely because hero has shown no strength at all other than pre flop and on the flop. Hero has not indicated that he is bluff happy, so then villain should not assume he will bluff here. However, hero could be capable of calling with with two pair, as many villains are at this level. Of course we know hero wont, be villain does not know this, so he should bet, hoping to extract some value from a two pair hand. Something along the lines of 1/2 pot, as this will probably get called the most. Unless I have a read on hero here, this is more than likely how I would play this hand as villain. I just think a check behind here happens like 90% of the time, that number is just a guess obviously, but Im not sure its way off either.

Profish2285 10-29-2007 08:03 PM

Actually, I think the turn action can go either way to be honest. I think as a whole when villains lead turn they dont usually have very strong holdings, especially if they make this bet like 1/2 pot. I think many more people are able to call a turn lead than a river one. We all know that a river lead like that indicates lots of strength, but we dont give the same respect to a turn one. Villain could easily lead turn here with two pair.