Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   *Official* PPA Fly-In Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=528504)

DeadMoneyDad 10-24-2007 12:00 PM

Re: *Official* PPA Fly-In Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Waaaaaa

Wish I could be there.

Skallagrim

PS - Would anyone who gets to talk with Howard Lederer please tell him Skallagrim from 2+2 says hello and hopes to speak with him again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Skallagrim,

I did as promised at last nights even. He remembered you by your real name and said that you two hand communicated quite a bit. He said to say Hi back.

The Hill reception was I thought a great sucess. Other than the room being a little hot, I didn't hear a single complaint.

There was a good number of reporters there, great work John and crew!, who seemed to get to the people they needed. The IL crew got a nice follow up with the Wash Chicago Trib reporter.

Hill attendence was also good, sure there were the usual mix of young staffers showing up for the free drinks and food, but there was a really good showing of House Memers stopping by. While only a few spoke quite a few dropped in and mingled some.

Having been to a few of these things in the past I'd say it was a sucess.

D$D

TheEngineer 10-24-2007 08:18 PM

Day #2 impressions:

The PPA had this pretty well organized. Day #1 was a little below my expectations, due primarily to the reception fizzling out early, but Day #2 far exceeded them. Lobbyists attended every meeting with us, and pros attended at least half of the meetings. We had good press coverage at the reception as well. Also, having the pros roaming the halls on Congress seemed to make a very strong impression, and a nice buzz as well. Their enthusiastic support helped our efforts greatly. I don’t know if we’ll win yet, but I do know we were heard.

Things got a little slow between meetings, especially when we had an hour or two between them. Oh well…we were there to work. We did have a centralized location to congregate between meetings, so we could sit and chat.

When walking from one building to another, I crossed paths with Robert Wexler (this was prior to that evening’s reception). I was with someone who knew him, so I was able to introduce myself and thank him for his support. I told him my grandparents live in his district (Boca Raton, FL). He told me everyone’s grandparents live in his district. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I learned that our letters really are read, and are worth writing. Sen. McConnell’s office was very aware of my twice-weekly letters informing then that I’m still opposed to UIGEA. :-) In fact, I mentioned that I wrote the senator “a couple of letters”. The reply was “a COUPLE?!?!?!?,” followed by a chuckle. Also, a senior staffer for Barney Frank commented on the quality of letters from us as well.

John Pappas does more for poker in one day than the prior leadership did for poker in one month. PPA has some work to do on the grassroots part of this (they’ve come a long way over the past few months, of course), but they do have the lobbying down very well.

Much of our lobbying consisted of selling the fact that explicit legalization would move the industry onshore. Seems this benefits us as players much more than it helps the current sites. In fact, I detected no bias in favor of the existing U.S.-facing sites (or against our interests as players) in any of the lobbying work done. I looked hard, as I am on the board to represent us (not the other way around). Nor did I see any biases against our interests at all from any of the board members in attendance (Howard Lederer, Chris Ferguson, Mary Magazine, John Pappas, and Sen. Al D’Amato).

TheEngineer 10-24-2007 08:24 PM

Day #3

After breakfast, we all went to Capitol Hill for a PPA policy briefing that was covered by the press. It went okay. We did get our message out. Following this, Howard Lederer, Andy Bloch, Chris “Jesus” Ferguson, Victor Ramdin, John Pappas and I met with Rep. Ron Paul for around 15 minutes. Needless to say, he’s still with us 100%. We were there primarily to thank him for his strong support, and to show that we’re doing our part to fight for our rights.

Following the Ron Paul visit, the pros got attention walking through the halls of Congress (everyone recognizes Chris Ferguson). We walked past Rep. William Shuster of PA, who found time in his schedule to talk with us after we all introduced ourselves.

Following this, Andy Bloch, a lobbyist and I met with a staffer of my rep, Geoff Davis (R-KY). After that, we met with Rep. Dan Lungren (R-CA). Other folks met with lots of other congressmen and senators as well, of course.

So, it was a very productive trip. I hope we’ll all write and call this week and next in support of this effort. Let’s reinforce the fact that poker players care, and that poker players vote! Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Berge20 10-24-2007 08:28 PM

Even though my schedule precluded me from making any of the events, I did what I could to make key staffers aware of the functions--hopefully it helped some and got them there.

I've spoken with several offices that were visited and all seemed to be fairly impressed with the performance and arguments that were presented. Of course that doesn't mean they immediately and fully agree, but a good impression can go a long way at getting some to consider a position they might otherwise not.

As I hear more feedback, I'll try and pass it along.

TheEngineer 10-24-2007 08:41 PM

One more thing. Geoff Davis' staffer (who was well-versed on the details of UIGEA) had the same response as Mitch McConnell's when I commented that I wrote "a couple of letters". She said it was nice to put a face with the name. Also, she told me the letter I received from Davis' office was a real reply, not a form letter sent to everyone who inquires about Internet gaming. So, they REALLY do read the letters, so PLEASE WRITE. Even if your rep will never support us, he/she needs to know that his/her constituents care, because our work results in the following:

- Our most ardent opponents may lose a little enthusiasm to push others to vote against us.
- Our more reasonable opponents may still vote against us, but may decide against working for or cosponsoring anti-poker legislation.
- Folks currently inclined to vote against us just because they think "everyone wants to end this" may switch to neutral.
- Neutral folks may decide to support us.
- Our supports may become outspoken advocates if they feel they'll get "cover" from us.
- Our outspoken advocates will remain energized.

Any upgrade we can get is a victory. If you disagree, ask yourself what NOT writing or calling will accomplish.

TheEngineer 10-24-2007 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though my schedule precluded me from making any of the events, I did what I could to make key staffers aware of the functions--hopefully it helped some and got them there.

I've spoken with several offices that were visited and all seemed to be fairly impressed with the performance and arguments that were presented. Of course that doesn't mean they immediately and fully agree, but a good impression can go a long way at getting some to consider a position they might otherwise not.

As I hear more feedback, I'll try and pass it along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry you couldn't make it this year. Thanks for helping with the staffers. I'm glad to hear they're impressed with our efforts.

I agree that this doens't mean we'll win, but it does mean they ALL know we're not a penalty-free bone to be thrown to FoF.

DMoogle 10-24-2007 08:46 PM

Hey I live in Northern Virginia, and this is the first time I've heard about this (I browse the Legislation forum occasionally, but I usually don't do much more than skim over the topics to see if anything big has happened). Since it's close (DC is about 1/2 an hour away), I'd like to attend whatever events I can.

Can someone give me any information on this? Schedules, location, etc.

Uglyowl 10-24-2007 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I learned that our letters really are read, and are worth writing. Sen. McConnell’s office was very aware of my twice-weekly letters informing then that I’m still opposed to UIGEA. :-) In fact, I mentioned that I wrote the senator “a couple of letters”. The reply was “a COUPLE?!?!?!?,” followed by a chuckle. Also, a senior staffer for Barney Frank commented on the quality of letters from us as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Engineer, thank you for the updates from the event. The line I quoted really got my interest. As I write to people, sometimes I get responses, sometimes I don't. I am very happy to know that my letters don't find the black hole.

I did receive a survey and donation request from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (boy was the survey filled with spin) which I filled out my opinions (including poker) and made a small donation. I will have to follow up with a phone call to get their thoughts.

whangarei 10-24-2007 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey I live in Northern Virginia, and this is the first time I've heard about this (I browse the Legislation forum occasionally, but I usually don't do much more than skim over the topics to see if anything big has happened). Since it's close (DC is about 1/2 an hour away), I'd like to attend whatever events I can.

Can someone give me any information on this? Schedules, location, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just missed it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It was M-W.

TheEngineer 10-24-2007 10:32 PM

http://www.nysun.com/article/65037

WASHINGTON — Coming off a resounding defeat in Congress a year ago, the country's top poker players are trying their hand at a time-honored Washington parlor game: lobbying.

Nearly 100 leading card players are flying into the nation's capital this week to urge lawmakers to roll back a ban on Internet gambling. They are led by Senator D'Amato, the New York lawmaker turned lobbyist who serves as chairman of the Poker Players Alliance.....