Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   NBN2 Fantasy Basketball Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=528384)

sethypooh21 10-22-2007 06:26 PM

Re: Post Draft Fantasy Basketball Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
64 Vatican City State Pretty Bunny Princesses Leandro Barbosa (G PHO)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a typo? Did Barbosa really get drafted in the 2nd round?

[/ QUOTE ]

Barbosa is a [censored] monster in the scoring format for this league.

Assani Fisher 10-22-2007 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
64 Vatican City State Pretty Bunny Princesses Leandro Barbosa (G PHO)

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a typo? Did Barbosa really get drafted in the 2nd round?

[/ QUOTE ]

Barbosa was the #13 overall player last year using this scoring format and hes only 24 years old. He also plays guard, which is imo a harder spot to fill than forward. When Nash fades in 3-4 years Barbosa should just be entering his prime, although obviously that great team might still not be constructed as it is today. The only real negative that I found with him is that Hill may impact his playing time a bit.

IrishHand 10-22-2007 06:54 PM

Barbosa's an interesting one...nobody really knows how/what he'd produce on another team where he's not the 4th best offensive option on the squad behind Amare/Nash/Marion - and by another team, I mean not the current Suns. In a couple of years with Nash done and Marion gone, will be very interesting...ceiling seems to be mini-Iversonesque (mid 20s scoring, better 3p% than AI). A lot will depend on what happens to his %s and his TO if he has to create his own shots instead of get a lot from the system.

Assani Fisher 10-22-2007 07:25 PM

My best pick: I like the Josh Childress pick. Like Marion, he has a great all around game that doesn't hurt you in any area. His upside may not be top notch, but barring injury he should be a main contributor on my team for years to come.

My worst pick: Don't like the Kapono pick. He probably won't repeat last year's numbers. Ty Thomas and Boris Diaw were still avilable. I also kinda wish I took Dalembert over Battier just for position scarcity.

Best value pick of draft(not my own): Wally Szczerbiak, Ronnie Brewer, and Hilton Armstrong all jump out to me as good late round picks. For earlier rounds I think that Dirk and Caron Butler fell too far. Dirk was my #2 rated player, and I thought about Caron over Allen/Barbosa.

Biggest reach(not my own): Rajon Rondo and its not even close. David Lee, Monta Ellis, Josh Childress, Andrew Bynum, and a ton of others were still avilable.

Crazy "what if" scenario: If Camby had fallen I would've started my team with Marion/Allen/Camby.

Best first 1/2 of draft: Boston Celtics really seemed to have tons of great picks fall to them. I like their draft early on.

Best second 1/2 of draft: I honestly like my own a lot. I really love the Scola/Gibson duo to start off my second 1/2 of the draft.

Assani Fisher 10-22-2007 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barbosa's an interesting one...nobody really knows how/what he'd produce on another team where he's not the 4th best offensive option on the squad behind Amare/Nash/Marion - and by another team, I mean not the current Suns. In a couple of years with Nash done and Marion gone, will be very interesting...ceiling seems to be mini-Iversonesque (mid 20s scoring, better 3p% than AI). A lot will depend on what happens to his %s and his TO if he has to create his own shots instead of get a lot from the system.

[/ QUOTE ]

What "system" are you talking about? I see people say "the system" all the time when talking about the Suns, but they run a basic fastbreak and pick and roll offense. Barbosa(or Nash when hes out there) seem to be the ones creating the system with their fast paced play.

I think that Barbosa would be fine in any offense that allowed him to fastbreak which is about 1/2 of the teams in the league.

kidcolin 10-22-2007 07:29 PM

It'll be said a million times over the next couple of years, but man I hate that he named his team Boston Celtics.

MEbenhoe 10-22-2007 07:44 PM

I'm gonna copy you Assani:

My best pick:

Biedrins and Gordon in rounds 3/4. Snagging Sasha and Hilton as late as I did, I'm pretty happy with too. Shaq could prove to be monsterous late round value for a year or two, and luckily I'm strong at C even if he doesn't play a game.

My worst pick:

Clark is right, I prob shouldn't have taken Duncan round 1.

Best Value Pick (not my own):

gotta go with Yao somehow falling to 11

Worst Value Pick:

Rajon

Best first half of draft:

Really like the bombers first half

Best second half of draft:

I honestly think that this was me, but to not sound too cocky I'll say Jersey.

IrishHand 10-22-2007 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What "system" are you talking about? I see people say "the system" all the time when talking about the Suns, but they run a basic fastbreak and pick and roll offense. Barbosa(or Nash when hes out there) seem to be the ones creating the system with their fast paced play.

I think that Barbosa would be fine in any offense that allowed him to fastbreak which is about 1/2 of the teams in the league.

[/ QUOTE ]

When a player joins the Nash Suns, his fantasy production jumps about 20%. When a player leaves the Nash Suns, his fantasy production drops about 20%. Most of that is due to %s and TOs.

Joe Johnson was a fantasy god in Phoenix ($12.3M production his last year there)...his scoring has increased considerably, but his %s tumbled and his TOs climbed for a net halving of his value (approx.) from Phoenix to Atlanta the past couple of years ($6.6M/yr).

Quentin Richardson was serviceable for his 1 year with Phx/Nash ($4.5M production)...he's been a blank the past two years in NY ($1.5M/yr production).

Raja Bell joins Nash/Phx and he goes from $1.4M production in Utah to an $8.8M/yr production in Phx.

Or maybe those things are all just a random coincidence and Phoenix plays the same as every other team in the NBA.

IrishHand 10-22-2007 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shaq could prove to be monsterous late round value for a year or two, and luckily I'm strong at C even if he doesn't play a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he plays 82 games he has no impact on your strength at C. You have a good FT% and you'll discover that Shaq playing 4 games in a week will cost you a full category all by his lonesome - and he doesn't give you enough in the bulk anymore to warrant your team needing 5/8 categories to win.

sethypooh21 10-22-2007 07:57 PM

For me, my best stretch was Carter/Miller/Davis at 3-4-5, though I guess I got good value with Haywood in the 10th and May in the 18th. Francisco Garcia is decent value as a flyer as well, imo.

Worst pick: I'd say Camby, but serviceable centers are so scarce and he was such a huge step above every other center available...Maybe Harrington in round six, or Mutombo near the end instead of Foyle, Harrison or Elson.

Best first half - no clue.

Best Second half -Ottawa and not particularly close - Perkins, Gerald Green, Blatche, Atkins (meh), Crawford, Bonzi, Reggie Evans, Hayes, Brezec, O'Bryant