Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Ryan Braun named Baseball America ROY (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=525533)

dlk9s 10-18-2007 01:52 PM

Re: Ryan Braun named Baseball America ROY

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't get too caught up in this, the batting order doesn't make that much difference. In fact, I think the most significant impact the BO is to get your better hitters more PAs, so having Young bat leadoff probably is better than having a worse hitter with a better OBP leadoff. There's value to getting the HR hitter more PAs overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

But all you have to do is move the guy with the better OBP to leadoff and move Young to 3rd in the order. There will be more baserunners for Young and he'll still get plenty of AB's (without looking at stats, I would assume the difference in AB's per game between the #1 and #3 hitters is extremely slim).

slothinator 10-18-2007 02:03 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but it does seem you would want to maximize the AB's of guys with high OBP, and put the players with higher SLG behind them to drive them in. In this case, Hudson should be hitting 1 or 2, and Young should be hitting somewhere 4-6. I'm pretty sure the D'backs would have scored more runs this year with Hudson hitting in front of Young as opposed to the C and P hitting in front of Young.

And it drove me nuts all year watching the Cubs put Soriano in the lead off spot. Just plain dumb.

Mondogarage 10-18-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that Manny Corpas isn't in the top 20 is ridonkulous

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Manny's considered a rookie. He pitched 35 games in relief last season, and he was on the roster from at least July 18th forward last year. I don't know the rookie requirements for pitchers, but the fact he spent nearly the entire second half of the season on the big league roster probably meant last season counted as his rookie campaign.

J.R. 10-18-2007 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The fact that Manny Corpas isn't in the top 20 is ridonkulous

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think Manny's considered a rookie. He pitched 35 games in relief last season, and he was on the roster from at least July 18th forward last year. I don't know the rookie requirements for pitchers, but the fact he spent nearly the entire second half of the season on the big league roster probably meant last season counted as his rookie campaign.

[/ QUOTE ]

Manny was a rookie last year

[ QUOTE ]
Determining rookie status:
A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

[/ QUOTE ]
link

ahmngrn30 10-18-2007 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Tulo and Braun are about equal this year, but like the MVP, I think Tulo should get it because his team made the playoffs. Their teams would not have been around the playoff scene without them, but the rockies made it, brewers didnt. I dont know why that applies to the MVP but not the ROY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cause it's ROY, not MVR.

mosdef 10-18-2007 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But all you have to do is move the guy with the better OBP to leadoff and move Young to 3rd in the order. There will be more baserunners for Young

[/ QUOTE ]

On average, slightly.

[ QUOTE ]
and he'll still get plenty of AB's (without looking at stats, I would assume the difference in AB's per game between the #1 and #3 hitters is extremely slim).

[/ QUOTE ]

It is slim, but so is the difference in expected number of runners on base over the season with a .350 OB guy in front of him and random players. And getting him fewer PAs does hurt marginally if you give his PAs to a worse hitter, and the attempt to engineer it so that he has more men on base when he hits may offset most or all of that loss but it doesn't make a huge difference.

I believe the best simple way to design the BO is ascending by OPS, with ascending by OBP a close and highly correlated second. Unless you do something stupid like sort them by batting average or something, the difference is going to be around 0.1 runs per game which is maybe a game.

.Alex. 10-18-2007 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Braun hit a ton of home runs, and that it. Period.

[/ QUOTE ]
Avg OBP SLG OPS
Braun .324 .370 .634 1.004
Tulowitzki .291 .359 .479 .838

I know the defense and positional factors help Troy, but to act like this isn't close when Braun crushes him in offensive production is crazy.

bottomset 10-18-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Avg OBP SLG OPS

I know the defense and positional factors help Troy, but to act like this isn't close when Braun crushes him in offensive production is crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

FRAR Tulowitzki +45, Braun -10 thats 55runs right there, and 0/0 would still favor Tulowitzki

durron597 10-18-2007 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Avg OBP SLG OPS

[/ QUOTE ]

uh

BRAR/FRAR/BRAR+FRAR

Tulo: 29/45/74
Braun: 51/-10/41

Troy Tulowitzki might win a gold glove
Braun is the worst defensive 3rd baseman in baseball

if you think these things don't matter, you're wrong

edit: added some more links

.Alex. 10-18-2007 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Avg OBP SLG OPS

[/ QUOTE ]

uh

BRAR/FRAR/BRAR+FRAR

Tulo: 29/45/74
Braun: 51/-10/41

Braun is the worst defensive 3rd baseman in baseball
Troy Tulowitzki might win a gold glove

if you think these things don't matter, you're wrong

[/ QUOTE ]
Did I say that? I made the point that Braun doesn't only "hit a ton of home runs" and the race is closer than people in this thread are making it out to be. If I thought "these things dont matter," then I would have said, "ZOMG Braun is def ROY cuz he's got more OPS and he doesnt clog the bases by drawing a lot of walks."