Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What do you say when asked what you do for a living? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=502443)

rsk_anlst_13 09-16-2007 10:11 PM

Re: What do you say when asked what you do for a living?

actuary - normal people will look at you with a blank expression of complete confusion and will not ask any more questions. sharp people will have a vague idea of what it is and not ask any more questions.

however, to avoid implying life-nittiness, equity analyst/investor/day trader is probably the best response.

greg nice 09-16-2007 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Equity Analyst.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like this. maybe with 'financial' prefix

wazz 09-16-2007 11:05 PM

'I gamble.'

SteelWheel 09-16-2007 11:14 PM

I have business cards that give my name, website, phone number, etc..in the area where you'd normally expect to see occupation it says, "Poker Player/Situational Analyst". [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In a larger sense, I've almost never had anything like a real job..I've always been in "situations" of one kind or another: Various types of stock market/trader/stockbroker situations, computer consulting, etc.

These days, when someone asks me what I do, in one of those social situations where the answer is kind of irrelevant, I just mumble something about trading/investing, or "computer stuff", or similar--which is still kinda true--I make a lot more money from my investments than I do from poker (although I am a long-term winner at both).

shawny boy 09-17-2007 12:07 AM

can you lose money for a living?

daryn 09-17-2007 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can you lose money for a living?

[/ QUOTE ]

that sounds like me

Phresh 09-17-2007 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i play cards

[/ QUOTE ]

kickpushcoast 09-17-2007 01:05 AM

poker coach works so much better than telling someone you re a poker player. for some reason it implies some sort of stability that people obv dont feel you have when you say you re a player. i dont actually coach people on anything other than a casual basis but im not above lying to idiots.

cwar 09-17-2007 01:06 AM

I usually play it straight unless I am:
a. Trying to avoid stupid questions
b. Trying to get laid

And LOL, I have used Equity Analyst as well.

lgas 09-17-2007 01:10 AM

Risk management.