Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Read this before starting a "Who Do I pick in Survivor" Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=497753)

Spellmen 09-10-2007 04:50 PM

Re: Read this before starting a \"Who Do I pick in Survivor\" Thread

Pitt is my pick this week, but I am in a 30 person league that historically doesn't ever go past week 10, so I don't worry as much about using up teams

Thremp 09-10-2007 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Jax was a solid pick. :'(

[/ QUOTE ]

So did a lot of other people.

DonkeyKongSr 09-10-2007 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pitt is my pick this week, but I am in a 30 person league that historically doesn't ever go past week 10, so I don't worry as much about using up teams

[/ QUOTE ]

This one is has 20 people left. It's an advertising industry based league, so not super competitive. I'm picking Pittsburgh this week unless I hear otherwise. I think the only teams I'll try and save for tough weeks are New England, Indy, and maybe Chicago depending on if they look better this week.

Jack Bando 09-10-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought there were two games that fit into these guidelines this week, and if you picked either of them, you would have moved on to Week 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

What were your two? Seahawks,Vikings, Texans fit your rules IMO.

Jack Bando 09-10-2007 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kyro,

You're leaving out the separation concept which is really the only concept that matters in survivor pools.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard of the separation concept. Any chance you could explain it either here or via PM?

I mean, if I'm going to suck at FF, I might as well try to pwn at Survivor.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are picking outright winners, and 30% of the league is on a 70% favorite. You increase you expectation by picking a 65% fave if there are only a few people on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Why does it matter if a large portion of the league picks PIT, and you decide to go with CHI instead? Shouldn't you just be picking the team you think will win? I don't know much about Survivor leagues besides trying to pick winners and saving good teams if need be.

DonkeyKongSr 09-10-2007 05:16 PM

Oh yeah, what about picking against bad teams on the road as a viable option? Say the Raiders for example. Isn't picking against them on the road usually a good choice as long as they are playing any halfway decent team?

Thremp 09-10-2007 05:23 PM

Jack,

The goal is to win, not survive. And saving teams is usually a v v bad idea.

Jack Bando 09-10-2007 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jack,

The goal is to win, not survive. And saving teams is usually a v v bad idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't save teams, but this seperation idea just confuses me. If everyone's picking my #1 choice, why does it matter if I pick my #1 or #2? (assuming early in season; near the end I can understand if it's down to 2 and I can only pick team A and team B and the other guy picks A I might take B to go for the win)

THAY3R 09-10-2007 06:46 PM

Jack, there are 100 players in your league. All 99 other people pick Team A, a 90% favorite. The 2nd biggest favorite, Team B is an 85% favorite.

You should take Team B, DUCY?

tdarko 09-10-2007 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jack, there are 100 players in your league. All 99 other people pick Team A, a 90% favorite. The 2nd biggest favorite, Team B is an 85% favorite.

You should take Team B, DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why it sucks that my league doesn't show picks until they are locked.