Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   A Newbie Guide to B&M Small Stakes No Limit Cash Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=485209)

SammyG-SD 09-13-2007 07:55 PM

Re: A Newbie Guide to B&M Small Stakes No Limit Cash Games

[ QUOTE ]

As for tipping, again, people will tip more than $1, but I feel (especially for low-limit games), that anything over $1 is excessive for anything other than absolutely massive pots. When you factor in a $3 rake + a $1 BBJ drop, there's very little room left for tipping. Opinions may vary, but I feel that $1 per hand is a very generous tip as it is. As you play higher limits, the opportunity to tip larger may increase.

[/ QUOTE ]

agree that $1 is fine, except I always feel incline to tip bigger when the dealer saves me from a cooler.

deehi 10-23-2007 06:24 PM

this is an excellent post. I play a lot of BM small stakes and I love this post. As for those posting about tipping, do what you feel is best. I tend to give 1-2 bucks on a decent hand(35-40 bucks). On huge megapots of 125-150+ I tend to give $5. The largest single pot i won was a $425 pot and I gave the dealer $10. Now, obvious that is being very generous. But to say, $1 is the overall norm regardless of the pot, is more a personal decision(though I think that you are being cheap).

spino1i 10-23-2007 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this true? Most of the regs tipped like $1 every pot but many others tipped $3-$5 or more on bigger pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Conspicuous consumption. You have no need to follow suit, unless you want to be known as "that guy who tips $5 on every $80 pot".

[/ QUOTE ]

If you tip any more than $1 per hand at 2/5, you will be tipping away all your profits.

Mr Rick 10-23-2007 06:45 PM

Re: Beware the Mini-Re Raise

[ QUOTE ]
Beware the mini-Re Raise in B&M 1/2 NLHE games.
I've seen many players in 1/2 NLHE games make mini-re-raises with their AA/KK in these B&M cash games. The counter strategy is simply to SILENTLY thank them and smooth call with your QQ using the strategy...no set/no bet. If you get a flop of AQx or KQx.....turn your radar on to detect a possible set over set....

[/ QUOTE ]

I have also seen "large" or "all-in" re-raises pre-flop disproportionate to the current pot size. Be very wary around these. Especially, if the player has a smallish stack (less than a max buy-in) and has not entered any/many hands. Likely hands are AA, KK. Did I mention AA?

mosch 10-23-2007 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you tip any more than $1 per hand at 2/5, you will be tipping away all your profits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not arguing for mega-tips, but that is a blatantly false statement.*

*Unless you suck at poker

chopstick 10-23-2007 09:36 PM

I enjoyed reading the original post, as well as the addendums that the OP added later on. Thanks for writing it!

Anyone want to take a shot at writing up something regarding how to open up your range against a loose/passive table, and use superior post-flop skill to outplay the other players? That reply was intriguing.