Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Cards call up Ankiel (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=473378)

Pudge714 08-09-2007 05:42 PM

Re: Cards call up Ankiel

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Big time sluggers with poor OBP skills and high strikeout numbers tend to translate very poorly in the majors.

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet Ryan Howard is what, 27, and in his second full year?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not to mention the fact he has a good obp and is an outlier, but also those type of players don't age very well. Howard looks like he is doing well, but he has probably already peaked despite being in his second year as a full time starter.

kyleb 08-09-2007 06:55 PM

I look forward to seeing Ankiel play again. It's a real shame what happened to him. His minor league uniforms are absolutely unbelievable (pitching), even after he came back from "failed TJ surgery."

dlk9s 08-09-2007 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the Cardinals will try a Brooks Keishnek type experiment with Ankiel. Or is Ankiel completely finished as a pitcher? Didn't he hurt his arm?

For those who don't remember, Keishnek was a busted Cubs OF prospect who pitched in college. The Brewers made him into a 5th OF-PH-RP combo utility player. He was a poor hitter and a poor pitcher; the experiment didn't go well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it went ok in Milwaukee.

2003: 70 AB, 7 HR, .300 BA

His power numbers dropped a lot in 2004, but his BA was still .270

Pitching stats were the reverse. In 53 relief innings in 2003, his ERA was 5.26, but in 2004, in 43 innings, his ERA dropped to 3.77.

Obviously, the sample size is not large, but I wouldn't say he was poor at both pitching and hitting. He just wasn't good enough at either to merit a big league roster spot, especially considering he was 32 years old in 2004.

HoyaSaxa123 08-09-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sure his OBP sucks, but a guy who a .270/.316/.570 guy has good value

[/ QUOTE ]

But that's AAA numbers. What's the expected translation to the majors? If it's a 10% reduction he'd be .243/.285/.523. That provides what looks like a decent OPS (.808), except that OBP is probably worth 3x SLG. So his EQA is likely to be below league average. That's not good for a corner outfielder who struggles defensively.

For comparison, Jack Cust is .263/.402/.521 this year in the Majors. Last year he was .293/.467/.549 in AAA. And if his hitting ever falls off he could never play the outfield for anyone. As soon as Piazza is moved Cust is a full time DH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not positive, but from what I have read about sabermetrics, this is way off.

MikeyPatriot 08-09-2007 07:04 PM

Hoya,

Depending on who you ask OBP is worth anywhere from 1.5-3.5x SLG. I think it's more near 3.

kyleb 08-09-2007 07:09 PM

JoA did a regression analysis on it, as have others. It's around 1.8.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing Ankiel on a field again.

kyleb 08-09-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For comparison, Jack Cust is .263/.402/.521 this year in the Majors. Last year he was .293/.467/.549 in AAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please, let's not compare Rick Ankiel to the actual god of hitting. That's quite unfair.

TheNoodleMan 08-09-2007 07:40 PM

The perfect Hollywood ending involves the Cards running out of pitchers in a big game and turning to Ankiel in extra innings.

Case Closed 08-09-2007 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The perfect Hollywood ending involves the Cards running out of pitchers in a big game and turning to Ankiel in extra innings.

[/ QUOTE ]

TLR: Ankiel, you're the only man we got...we need you now more than ever!
Ankiel: Tony! My arm is shot! Didn't you read the reports?
Kid with cancer: *cough* *cough* Ankiel, shucks if you don't go out there and pitch I don't think I'll make it.
Ankiel: Alright kid, Ima gonna go in there and give it all I got!

TheNoodleMan 08-09-2007 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TLR: Ankiel, you're the only man we got...we need you now more than ever!
Ankiel: Tony! My arm is shot! Didn't you read the reports?
Kid with cancer: *cough* *cough* Ankiel, shucks if you don't go out there and pitch I don't think I'll make it.
Ankiel: Alright kid, Ima gonna go in there and give it all I got!

[/ QUOTE ]

Then Ankiel throws a wild pitch but covers the plate just in time to stop the run from scoring.