Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Professional No-Limit Hold 'em Volume 1 Review Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=457913)

phydaux 07-23-2007 09:55 PM

Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

I think we can kiss off ever seeing a smaller than pot size bet ever again.

Gelford 07-23-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

R U Serious ???

bsheck 07-23-2007 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this really what's taught in the book? Is there anything on pot control or playing smallball?

Matt Flynn 07-23-2007 11:00 PM

Review of cover design

Just wanted to say that it's easily the best poker cover design I have ever seen.

Thank you Gonso!!!

Matt

Matt Flynn 07-23-2007 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this really what's taught in the book?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, in fact we recommend 2/3 the pot as a default bet size for those times when you know you should bet but don't know how much, or when you need to use a fixed bet size to cover your range. That's in "Basics" - more advanced players will adjust from there.

JackCase 07-24-2007 12:18 AM

OMG, are you guys nuts??? It seems like half the topics in the table of contents are about COMMITMENT!!!!! You just lost your entire audience of single males. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

phydaux 07-24-2007 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this really what's taught in the book? Is there anything on pot control or playing smallball?

[/ QUOTE ]

By way of explanation, a check is not a bet. Neither is a fold.

And if you want to know what's taught in a book, read it. Don't take a quote that's probably meant as a joke out of context.

Gonso 07-24-2007 12:30 AM

Re: Review of cover design

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to say that it's easily the best poker cover design I have ever seen.

Thank you Gonso!!!

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, although I'm partial to the V2 blue color. I'm looking forward to the book like everyone else. Ok, back to reviews now

bbbushu 07-24-2007 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to say that it's easily the best poker cover design I have ever seen. Matt

[/ QUOTE ]
i just realized how sad i am to see the guns go

morphd 07-24-2007 10:40 AM

My internet was out so I actually read most of the book last night. I have to say some of the ideas are quite radical! Min-Reraising with AK, or limping QQ to get to target SPR's etc. This book certainly has the potential to really change how the mid-stakes no limit games are played. Of course, there will be a lot of people who shun any of the advice but it's going to be a huge mistake. I'm still thinking about the preflop raise varying vs. deception aspect, there are definitely many players who will punish you for this but how important it is, I'm not sure. The authors make very good arguments for why it's not as bad as you think it is.

The commitment threshold and SPR stuff really makes you think about the game, and in no way gives you cookie cutter actions for certain situations. I like how it's highly integrated with player reads, flow of game, etc.