Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Clarifying "Medium Stakes" (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=448990)

Aaron W. 07-14-2007 04:13 AM

Re: Clarifying \"Medium Stakes\"

Well, since this thread keeps getting bumped, I'll thank you all for the tip. I made close to $1k in about 3.5 hours of play at the Wynn 15/30 and I think the game was great.

disjunction 07-14-2007 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

mustachioed

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf?

emerson 07-14-2007 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From the sticky:

[ QUOTE ]
This forum is for limit holdem hands in the range of 10/20 to 40/80.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this refer to online playing or live?

Perhaps a short introduction is in order to clear up why I'm asking: I a long time microlimit player/poster who has recently moved to Henderson and interested in playing live (probably jumping in at 15/30). But before I do that, I want to lurk the forum here to see if my game is roughly on par with the types of games I hope to play.

Also, I've looked at www.allvegaspoker.com to see what games are housed where, but I don't know how up to date it is. Below is what I found. Does it sound about right (for any Vegas regulars out there)?

$10/20 - Binions (usually weekends), Ceasars (occasionally on weekends), Mirage (regularly)
$15/30 - Red Rock (occasionally), Venetian (regularly), Wynn (regularly), Bellagio (regularly with sometimes long waits)
$20/40 - Mirage (regularly)

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually start playing in the early afternoon. When ever I'm in Vegas I call the Venetian poker room to see what kind of limit games they have going. There has never once been a mid level game going.

Hobbs. 07-15-2007 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it had no fish and was populated by 30/60 sharks like Roy Cooke

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha. Oh wait, you were serious? Hahahaha

-Hobbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

disjunction 07-15-2007 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it had no fish and was populated by 30/60 sharks like Roy Cooke

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahaha. Oh wait, you were serious? Hahahaha

-Hobbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides the mustache, what's with the Roy Cooke hate? Isn't he the guy who says he's never booked a losing month? I've only read his Cardplayer column but it seems like he's thinking and playing more or less standard. Considering that in the one time I've played 30/60 in Vegas (a year ago), the table was capped 5 ways every hand, standard solid play would absolutely make him a 30/60 shark.

(I'm just curious, I've never seen or played with the man)

Hielko 07-15-2007 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This doesn't make any sense to me. I've never played microlimit online, but I can't imagine the games are anything like a live 15/30 game.

Why would you do this? Did you scratch up $10k playing .25/.50 on Pokerstars? Am I missing something here?

[/ QUOTE ]
You should try some microlimit online. I wouldn't be suprised if the 0.25/0.50 game at Pokerstars is thougher then the 15/30 Live. I have played a lot of 10/20 Euro Live (approx 15/30$) and I'm pretty sure the 0.10/0.20 game is thougher, but I image that the games in Vegas are thougher with more 'sharks'.

DeathDonkey 07-15-2007 11:56 AM

Actually you're right, in the context of crushing that particular 30/60 game he should be classified as a shark. What I was laughing at (and it doesn't apply just to Cooke as I couldn't even point him out in the poker room and no clue if I've ever played with him) is the typical live 30/60 pro has a lot of leaks that are keeping him from moving up. I just got back from almost a solid month of playing in the Bellagio and playing 60/120 or 100/200 vs the 30/60 games was night and day.

-DeathDonkey

emerson 07-15-2007 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This doesn't make any sense to me. I've never played microlimit online, but I can't imagine the games are anything like a live 15/30 game.

Why would you do this? Did you scratch up $10k playing .25/.50 on Pokerstars? Am I missing something here?

[/ QUOTE ]
You should try some microlimit online. I wouldn't be suprised if the 0.25/0.50 game at Pokerstars is thougher then the 15/30 Live. I have played a lot of 10/20 Euro Live (approx 15/30$) and I'm pretty sure the 0.10/0.20 game is thougher, but I image that the games in Vegas are thougher with more 'sharks'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see these claims often and I believe it only applies to preflop play. Most online players have read the first chapter of some book to get some guidelines on which hands they should play. After the flop the mid level live players are better than the online small stakes players.

Hielko 07-15-2007 12:17 PM

emerson: it all depends etc, but when you make too many preflop mistakes you could play like Schneids postflop and still lose money.