Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   My Mom and Judaism (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401447)

pokulator 05-14-2007 03:49 PM

Re: My Mom and Judaism

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

my middle sister was a strict vegan for 5 years, but ate bacon once a year on her birthday because bacon is good.

my oldest sister's family is modern orthodox (not exactly sure what that means) and they keep strict kosher in their house. but, when my sister isn't with her husband and kids and is hanging out with the rest of our non-practicing family she doesn't always follow kosher laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know you or your sister, but I find this unbelievably aggravating.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont find it aggravating, I find it ridiculous. If you are restricting yourself from certian things due to religious practices, fine, I can understand that. But to arbitrarily restrict yourself from things for no real reason, only to "treat" yourself once a year is just crazy imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that it is ridiculous and probably part of the reason why she is no longer vegan. but, why is religion a good reason and others arbitrary?

for the purpose of this thread i just called my sister to find out her motivations for being vegan and she said "WTF do you want to know why i was vegan 10 years ago?" but then went on to say that there were two reasons.

1. she never liked meat very much anyways
2. she was grossed out by the entire industry and didn't want to support the treatment of animals that went along with it.

so i asked how eating bacon once a year fit in with that and she said "it didn't, i just really like bacon so once a year i figured what the hell."

and i can respect a good old "what the hell, why not" every now and again.

king_of_drafts 05-14-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i agree that it is ridiculous and probably part of the reason why she is no longer vegan. but, why is religion a good reason and others arbitrary?

My mom does it for religion, your sister does it for whatever reason. I think they are both hypocrites.

edit: I can't fix how this looks, but the second paragraph is not quoted.

tsearcher 05-16-2007 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lastly, (this is not a rhetorical or smart ass question) how do you think your mother should have raised you in regards to your Jewish heritage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think she should've introduced me to it and let me make my own decisions. Most of the sunday schoolers my age were as apathetic as I was, but not all of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a catch 22 that parents have to face in a lot of different situations. If you force someone to do something, generally they will resent it and lose interest in it. On the other hand, there are a lot of things children need to learn/experience that they never would without being forced to.

My guess is that Judaism would have died out about 2000 years ago, if all Jewish parents had used your recommended methodology.

guids 05-16-2007 08:19 PM

Religion is a good enough reason for me not to argue logic with teh person, is what I should have said.

and ya, once in awhile I respect the old "what the [censored], why not" argument....especially as it pertains to booze and coke.

king_of_drafts 05-16-2007 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is a catch 22 that parents have to face in a lot of different situations. If you force someone to do something, generally they will resent it and lose interest in it. On the other hand, there are a lot of things children need to learn/experience that they never would without being forced to.

My guess is that Judaism would have died out about 2000 years ago, if all Jewish parents had used your recommended methodology.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true and if it was I wouldn't care. FWIW, I plan to study religion on my own, so maybe I will still end up a caretaker of ol' Judaism.

hlacheen 05-18-2007 12:54 AM

Reform Judaism baby!