Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Mayweather calls out UFC and MMA as a whole... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396963)

ozyman 05-06-2007 08:57 PM

Re: Mayweather calls out UFC and MMA as a whole...

[ QUOTE ]
How long would it take Mayweather to develop enough of a ground game to be able to fight in the UFC? I'm guessing about 18 months of intense training and he would be able to have enough ground defense to get into a ring. He probably won't put the effort in (he seems to think he could step in already, which is just stupid). But I don't think there's much doubt that if he really wanted to he could dominate in the UFC. He's just a much better athlete than any of those guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mayweather would be giving up 20+ lbs on fight night to any legimate 155lber in the UFC. Sean Sherk fought at 170 lbs he moved down to 155. He would need to become a BJJ wizard to overcome the weight difference at 155.

KDawg 05-06-2007 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How long would it take Mayweather to develop enough of a ground game to be able to fight in the UFC? I'm guessing about 18 months of intense training and he would be able to have enough ground defense to get into a ring. He probably won't put the effort in (he seems to think he could step in already, which is just stupid). But I don't think there's much doubt that if he really wanted to he could dominate in the UFC. He's just a much better athlete than any of those guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

18 months is probably right, but to say that he is a much better athelete then any of the guys in the LW division is very very shortsighted. Sean Sherk and Joe Stevenson are guys that are great wrestlers and both black belts in jiu-jitsu(which generally takes over 6 years to achieve). There are numerous guys in the UFC that are on par as far as athletic talent as top boxers. so saying that he's a much better athlete is being silly

ozyman 05-06-2007 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...type=lgns#more

Interesting read...

[/ QUOTE ]
Mayweather actually apologized to Dana White/UFC and told them it was all for hype. Mayweather apology (bottom of page)

haha, classic Dana White:
As for Sherk, White said, "He loved being here and seeing the atmosphere, and I think he left here believing he'd beat the living (expletive) out of the guy if he ever got the chance."

LAgambol 05-06-2007 09:12 PM

with the proper training, i think boxers would dominate the vast majority of MMA fighters. In the lower weight divisions, the MMA would have a better chance than in the light heavyweight/heavyweight division, where they mostly box. throw lennox lewis, mike tyson, evander holyfield, etc. in the ring with slyvia, arlovsky, and its game over for the MMA crew. Boxers just throw way harder and more accurate hits, watch any of the recent big heavyweight fights in the MMA and you see a bunch of clumsy, unathletic, bad boxers

Mr biggums 05-06-2007 09:19 PM

The reason they look that way is because they have to worry about takedowns. Throw those boxers in there with sylvia and Arlovsky and they would get dominated. What do you consider proper training? Many UFC guys have trained their ground game for 5+ years. Boxers aren't gonna spend that much time on theirs.

NT! 05-06-2007 09:30 PM

throw any heavyweight in with fedor and see what happens.

MikeRice 05-06-2007 10:33 PM

Why would any top boxer want to fight for a meager mid 5 figure-miniscule 6 figure payday when their sport pays millions to it's stars.

KDawg 05-06-2007 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would any top boxer want to fight for a meager mid 5 figure-miniscule 6 figure payday when their sport pays millions to it's stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is also misinformed. The top fighters recently have gotten 7 figure paydays. The top fighters have been getting mid 6 figure paydays when the PPV% would be included for a while now

heater 05-06-2007 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever. MMA is littered with people who couldn't hack it in the ring. You don't see it working the other way. That should pretty much say everything.

Eliot,

MMA is already where wrestling was. In the trailer parks and joke book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comments in this thread show complete ignorance as to the direction in which these two sports are headed.

ThaSaltCracka 05-06-2007 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever. MMA is littered with people who couldn't hack it in the ring. You don't see it working the other way. That should pretty much say everything.

Eliot,

MMA is already where wrestling was. In the trailer parks and joke book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your comments in this thread show complete ignorance as to the direction in which these two sports are headed.

[/ QUOTE ]Eh, to be honest, I think UFC is a fad. The fights are cool, but in all honesty, most don't live up to the hype. The ground game is probably the most boring aspect of the it and the trend seems to be to going in that direction. If anything, UFC was much cooler when it was filled with boxing outcast that loved beating the hell out of people. All these MMA guys are pretty boring to watch. If Liddell wasn't in UFC, I think I probably wouldn't even watch it.