Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sports Betting (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   This forum needs a makeover (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=384376)

TomG 04-23-2007 03:14 PM

Re: This forum needs a makeover

There is a reason Sports Betting is a separate forum from Sporting Events. Your average baseball fan may be able to list the reasons why the Yankees are the better team on any given night. The difficulty is translating that analysis into numbers. Yes, the Yankees are likely to win, but does that make them a good value at -175? What about at -155? Or -125? Meaningful sports betting discussion cannot exist without considering the expected value of a bet. Cosmetically the forum is fine. As an improvement, I would like to see more picks accompanied by an estimated probability that the event will occur. This would help direct discussion more towards the impact of pitchers, injuries, road schedules, etc. have on a team's chance of winning.

TheRover 04-23-2007 03:16 PM

instead of all this can we just get rid of the trolls and idiots?

anyone behind me on this?

New001 04-23-2007 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, please.

tippy 04-23-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tippy,

Some people feel a need to "give back" much like how people post arbs. They have no desire to discuss the games with someone whose knowledge is less than theirs or address 30 posts filled with gibberish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I can agree with that. For those guys, by all means, just let them post their picks. I think we all know who they are anyway and we also know they aren't just pulling them out of a hat. But for the other folks, we have no idea.

But we have a forum here for a reason--discussion. Surely I can't be the only one who uses nonsystematic diverse information for capping my games. But hardly anyone else here backs their picks and shows their work. It would be alot more useful if we had a sharing of information type of forum, rather than just a 'my picks are' type of forum.

Just wishful thinking on my part I guess.

Thremp 04-23-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mass culling FTW.

whipsaw 04-23-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tippy,

Some people feel a need to "give back" much like how people post arbs. They have no desire to discuss the games with someone whose knowledge is less than theirs or address 30 posts filled with gibberish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I can agree with that. For those guys, by all means, just let them post their picks. I think we all know who they are anyway and we also know they aren't just pulling them out of a hat. But for the other folks, we have no idea.

But we have a forum here for a reason--discussion. Surely I can't be the only one who uses nonsystematic diverse information for capping my games. But hardly anyone else here backs their picks and shows their work. It would be alot more useful if we had a sharing of information type of forum, rather than just a 'my picks are' type of forum.

Just wishful thinking on my part I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason why we don't have that is because it's much easier to tear down someone's argument than build your own, so as soon as someone posts picks with any analysis at all, they get attacked by a half dozen people (I'm as much to blame as anyone in that respect) who nitpick and are just nasty about it rather than trying to be in the least bit constructive. So instead people just post picks like everyone else.

TheRover 04-23-2007 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mass culling FTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

hell yeah.

Thremp 04-23-2007 04:31 PM

I also think people have a hard time of discerning diamonds in the rough that some "trolls" put out there.

MT2R handed out information about how people actually make money betting sports. And I think he got a couple cursory acknowledgments. Crockpot has just handed out EV to the masses without any explanation except for a few points he's later made about season wins etc. and since he hit a massive heater is widely lauded for it.

Its this kind of attitude, and "groupthink" that makes it somewhat hard for people who're actually sharp (Think ImBen here) to stomach posting and engaging in real discussion so they feel necessary to take it elsewhere.

Homer 04-23-2007 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its this kind of attitude, and "groupthink" that makes it somewhat hard for people who're actually sharp (Think ImBen here) to stomach posting and engaging in real discussion so they feel necessary to take it elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's laughable. Do you think there's some forum out there where ImaScammer treats people in a civilized manner? No need to make excuses for [censored] like him.

Thremp 04-23-2007 04:43 PM

Homer,

Quick question: Would you take a large stake handicapping challenge v ImBen?