Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Pooh-bah post: A general guide for aspiring online poker players (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=336277)

lucky_mf 03-06-2007 11:40 PM

Re: Pooh-bah post: A general guide for aspiring online poker players

you can get both bonus and rakeback - they are independent. The site gives you bonuses and your affiliate gives you rakeback.

BTW - I signed up at UB and got the 650 matching bonus on my first deposit. I will get 650 in rakeback from my UB affiliate before I clear the bonus from the site. That is to say rake back comes quicker than bonuses clear.

Lucky

Student 03-07-2007 02:02 PM

I was interested in your views regarding bankroll when changing from level to level. First, I noticed an unusual nomenclature whereby you describe a 1/2 cents NLHE game as NL5. Does this mean a game in which the maximum bankroll permitted is $5.00 [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] ? I've changed the numbers a bit, but this would be an existing table at PokerStars, which also happens to have a minimum bankroll of $1.00.

You were also vague regarding whether your bankroll is based on the minimum or maximum bankroll required for NLHE. Which is it?

I liked the idea that you'd move up in limits when you had 30 buyins for NL, and drop levels when you had 10 buyins. Am I to assume you mean, for example, to move upwards from 1/2 cents NL (max. buyin at $5.00) when you had 30 x $5.00 = $150 bankrolled? Or do you view the buyin for 2/5 cents NL ($10), the next level? Hence, you could move up only when you had 30 x $10 = $300.

I'd been thinking I'd move up when my bankroll had grown to 1,000 BBs for the next higher level. So, in the case of moving from 1/2 cents NL to 2/5 cents NL I'd have to have 1,000 x 2 cents to sit down originally at the 1/2 cents NL game ($20), and I'd consider a move up to 2/5 cents NL only after I had bankroll up to 1,000 x 5 cents ($50).

Perhaps you could illustrate your thoughts with an example. Please? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Dave

entertainme 03-07-2007 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol... you are not wrong about accounts all over the place, although with some of them I have never played 'real-money' games. I would just install a software and play on the site to see if I liked it!!!!... Unfortunately this has now limited my options.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you've never played real money on some of these, it may be possible to delete all the software on your computer, then sign up through an affiliate with a different e-mail address, account name, etc..

I can't promise it will work, but it's worth a shot.

For a new site you might try hollywoodpoker. They banned US players a while ago so I don't know how the volume is these days. They were a Pokerroom skin with better customer service.

The Poker Mom

ottsville 03-07-2007 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you describe a 1/2 cents NLHE game as NL5. Does this mean a game in which the maximum bankroll permitted is $5.00

[/ QUOTE ]
General notation is to use "nl" and the $ maximum buy in. This is usually 100x the big blind, but not always. For example stars .02/.05 and .05/.10 both have a max buy in of $10.

BurnleyMik 03-07-2007 08:08 PM

Thanks Poker mom, I will take a look.

BM

jk1986 03-09-2007 09:30 AM

Email full tilt and ultimate bet support, I think you'll find that they'll let you create a new account once. Well at least full tilt will.

Akolades 04-24-2007 06:53 PM

real late to the party... but nice post

thesilkworm 04-24-2007 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rakebake thing is something I should have done before, but I did not have enough knowledge about it. As mentioned earlier a lot of sites will not allow rakeback once you are signed up. So my question is: I already signed up to the following sites:
Full Tilt
PokerStars
Absolute
PartyPoker
Ultimate Bet
Titan
William Hill
Stan James
Betfair
str8poker
Victor Chandler
(I think thats all of them)

all well before I knew about rakeback. I am a UK player so site selection is not an issue. Can anyone recommend a good site where you can also get a good rakeback deal??

And thankyou very much for all the advice on here guys!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a Full Tilt account for years. I emailed their support around October last year, and they allowed me to move my account to an affiliate, and I now get 27% rakeback. Don't know if they're still allowing it, but certainly worth a try.

Also, fantastic post OP.

thesilkworm 04-24-2007 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
real late to the party... but nice post

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh right, just realised how old this post was. Well, I hadn't seen it before - thanks for the bump!

proudpapa 08-06-2007 01:10 PM

Post is A+