Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   A small vent. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=290585)

Stuey 12-24-2006 08:26 PM

Re: A small vent.

There are people that don't care if someone has acne. There are girls with acne waiting to be kissed. There are people with acne that hate acne so much they won't kiss a girl with acne!?

I had/have acne. I am 35 still got it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Makes girls think I am much younger. lol Find a girl with acne and kiss her!

I took accutane once it worked for about 2 years then the acne came back. Accutane sucks don't take it I wish I never had.

Edit: I read the other replies. Someone find a drug that makes a person less ugly on the inside please.

SMB 12-24-2006 09:06 PM

As others have said, see the dermatologist. I took Accutane, but had to stop early b/c of liver issues. However, the stuff worked very well.

Matt Flynn 12-24-2006 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For all of those who just said "go to a dermatologist", you should realize that there is no real cure for acne.

Because it's not really dangerous, almost no funding has ever been put into trying to cure it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Utterly false on both counts.

[ QUOTE ]
Almost nothing works. The only effective drug, accutane, as some have mentioned has some -severe- side effects. In addition, many people still have relapses.

I've been to at least 3 different dermatologists, and 2 flat out refused to prescribe it for me because of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is part of the unseen burden of tort law and trial lawyers. The refusal to prescirbe to you does not make sense based on real risk -- unless there's more you haven't told us.

Cite meaningful stats on your severe side effects please. Hint: You can't, provided you divide by the 13 million people who've taken it.

The public is flat-out bat-[censored] crazy on this subject.

For example, in the last four major studies done in over 10,000 patients total, the rates of depression and new-onset use of antidepressants was singificantly lower than that in the general same-age population. But everyone thinks the drug causes depression.

[ QUOTE ]

It even requires monthly blood tests to make sure your liver is functioning properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. But liver failure isn't the side effect to fear. Minor elevations in liver enzymes are common and functionally meaningless. Major liver failure is very rare.

[ QUOTE ]
Other side effects include hair loss, internal bleeding, and other much more serious problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Temporary hair loss yes. The real -- and unrecognized -- issue from a game theory / risk perpsective (once you subtract the bullsh!t and do the math) is night vision loss, which can be permanent and is underecognized.

[ QUOTE ]
Any comments about cleaning your face, proactiv, etc don't realize that

if you have it bad, those things do almost nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

In part true.

Frankly if your assessment of your acne is correct and you don't have some medical history that precludes your use of Accutane, you need another dermatologist.

Matt Flynn 12-24-2006 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My better half of my life has been ruined by acne.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have faith in bisonbison and in yourself.

daryn 12-24-2006 09:50 PM

i used accutane, it was excellent.

wet work 12-24-2006 09:56 PM

Don't worry about the past, there's something you can do now and that's go to a dermatologist.