Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   10 Best and Worst Video Games of All Time on MTV (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=262842)

Dynasty 11-18-2006 07:15 PM

Re: 10 Best and Worst Video Games of All Time on MTV

[ QUOTE ]

Also, Tetris at #2 seems silly to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tetris is one of the best selling games of all-time. It's inclusion with Game Boy is a key reason why Nintendo beat out Atari's Lynx.

I don't think games with a simple design should have that held against them. Tetris and others such as Pac Man, Donkey Kong, or Centipede should be on most people's list of greatest games.

Wheatsauce 11-18-2006 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This stuff is not that significant from an overall gaming perspective IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough...a lot of my gaming is FF, so it may seem more significant to me personally...

[ QUOTE ]
We talked about this a little in the Zelda thread, but I feel that the first Zelda involves too much "random" gameplay...you have to bomb every single wall in the entire game and burn every single bush to find certain MANDATORY locations. Link to the Past and Ocarina fix all the flaws.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always had a distain for games (or at least the aspect of games) that tell you every single thing that you have to do..."Go here, get this...Got it? Ok, now go here and get this..." etc. I still remember the sense of accomplishment that I got just from finding level 2 as a kid...let alone discovering the ability to walk through walls in the second quest...let alone finding level 9 on the second quest, which is the only thing I remember as far as the "random" gameplay you describe to a large extent, and I felt that it was a fitting ending to such an epic game. Yes you had to bomb walls in the dungeons, but you could often figure it out, or at least narrow it down, by using the map and compass, which I prefer to the visible crack in the wall telling you a wall is bombable. To each his own, I suppose...but regardless, I feel that the influence and innovation of the original Legend of Zelda is enough alone to at least include it in a top 10 list.

Wheatsauce 11-18-2006 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Also, Tetris at #2 seems silly to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tetris is one of the best selling games of all-time. It's inclusion with Game Boy is a key reason why Nintendo beat out Atari's Lynx.

I don't think games with a simple design should have that held against them. Tetris and others such as Pac Man, Donkey Kong, or Centipede should be on most people's list of greatest games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it isn't a very good or influential game, or that simple games shouldn't be included in discussions of greatest games...just that #2 seems way to high to me. Is it really the second best video game ever?

kyro 11-18-2006 07:49 PM

Goldeneye being omitted is pathetic.

Also, I would like to nominate "Mike Piazza's Strike Zone" for Worst Game of All Time. Anyone play this? It was awful. For the N64.

mmbt0ne 11-19-2006 12:57 AM

Where is Quarterback Club for dreamcast on the worst list? I still go to ign's old dc site every know and then to read the review when I need a pick-me-up.

http://dreamcast.ign.com/articles/162/162493p1.html

Abones 11-19-2006 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FF3 > FF7

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT

clowntable 11-19-2006 09:46 AM

If the Zelda on the worst list is one of the CDI games, total agreement. I bought a CDI just to complete my Zelda collection and all of 3 of them suck big time.
The games that influenced me most (all kind of old):
Zelda 2: First Zelda I ever played, and I was hooked [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Super Mario Bros (SNES): I was just amazed how great it was
Doom: Hadn't seen Wolf3D ot any shooter before so I bought an expensive as [censored] 486 DX2/66 just to play Doom [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Castlevania 4 (SNES): First game I ever made a bet on (beat it in under 60 Minutes, not loosing a life, play all levels). Took me forever to do [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pudge714 11-19-2006 06:29 PM

Shaq Fu was awesome.

Ribsauce 11-19-2006 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But Metal Gear Solid, FFVII, and Tecmo Super Bowl? Ugh. (I also hate it how many people talk about Tecmo Super Bowl (which was an SNES game) when they're really talking about the original Tecmo Bowl (the original NES game).

[/ QUOTE ]

Metal Gear Solid was awesome and unlike anything else out at the time.

And Tecmo Super Bowl (yes the SNES version, I have no clue what you mean by your little sidenote) kicks total ass. When I was in college last year we still had a 8 person Tecmo Super Bowl league and it was the most played game at my friend's house. This is like 15 years after it came out. It is an awesome game. If you put Tecmo Super Bowl on a TV in a dorm people will stop by to play. That is as good of proof as anything that it is in awesome game

edit

as for some others

Halo was awesome but I think if you want to put a FPS on the list you either put Half Life + mods (obv) or Goldeneye (for proving a FPS could be done on a console). Goldeneye is the first game I can remember that everyone played. Nerds, jocks, thugs, and whatever other group of people existed in high school all played the game and they all loved it.

A GTA game has to go on the list, and SA is the newest one so I understand that. However, I think they should put GTA 3 down because it just blew everyone away when it came out. GTA:SA was awesome, but it didn't quite blow everyone away in the same way because we had seen it twice before. However, GTA3 was like nothing ever created when it came out.

As said previously, the super mario "series" choice is a total copout. Every other game they selected a single one. I would probably put Mario 3 or Mario world.

Street Fighter 2 is probably my most played game so I love that choice. We played that like every day it rained for 3 years in my neighborhood.

baumer 11-19-2006 07:48 PM

Shadow of the Colossus deserves more attention.

I'd rather play Silent Hill than Ocarina of Time.

Subjective "best of all-time" lists are annoying.