Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   TCU OWNS the Big 12... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=214070)

HajiShirazu 09-29-2006 04:55 AM

Re: TCU OWNS the Big 12...

Well, Colorado lost to a I-AA school. I see a few Iowa State games each year. Obviously it's really not that bad, and at least Nebraska seems like they might be coming back again this year. But there really has been some ugly football in this conference lately.

tdarko 09-29-2006 10:20 AM

Dudd,

It wasn't hyperbole but thanks for chimin' in.

esad 09-29-2006 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, ever hear of hyperbole?

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one that sees the humor in a ND homer accusing others of hyperbole?

ScottieK 09-29-2006 12:54 PM

TCU only lost because I bet on them [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] As for TCU being in the Big 12, that's a crock (even though Baylor being in is even more of a crock.) IMO, TCU is lucky the Mountain West let them in. Not from a talent standpoint, but because of the history of the MWC. The old WAC was only eight schools. Then the SWC disbanded, and some of those schools, including TCU, joined the WAC.

But sixteen schools was way too many. When the old WAC schools left to form the Mountain West, they wanted the same schools that were in the pre-16 schools WAC, and they only wanted eight. IIRC, TCU joined Conference USA for a season or two, but that wasn't working out. The MWC is very leery of becoming too big, like the WAC was for a while. I thought TCU was going to go to the WAC again.

TCU isn't "too good" for the Mountain West. Remember, Utah was undefeated in 2004, and they rolled Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl. Did Utah start clamoring for admission into a major conference? No, because Utah isn't consistently competitive on a national scale. No school in the MWC is.

I remember last year, when my Lobos won their first three football games, including a road win at Mizzou. Everyone around here went nuts. We had gone to bowl games three years prior (and got smoked in each one) but that didn't matter. Fans wanted more. People were predicting undefeated or 10-1 seasons, top 25 ranking, big bowls, you name it. I think the team bought into the hype and it hurt them. Then BAM, back to back losses at UTEP and TCU, and home losses to just about everybody else. No bowl game. 6-5 if I remember right. Fans are fickle. Now they're screaming for Coach Long to be fired, after one 6-5 season. WTF.

So if TCU's the second best team in the Big 12, what is BYU? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Don't worry about what conference you're in. Just enjoy TCU's success for now and enjoy the season.

ScottieK

Troy Smith 09-29-2006 03:25 PM

Sometimes its better to be a big fish in a small pond.

But if you are a Buckeye, you can be a big fish in the ocean.

BigSoonerFan 09-29-2006 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One year and a game does not a program make.

[/ QUOTE ]

2000: 10-2, WAC Champions, one drive from BCS, Doak Walker Award winner
2002: 10-2, C-USA Champions, Liberty Bowl Winner
2003: 11-2, one drive away from BCS
2005: 11-1, upset OU in Norman, MWC Champions
2006: 3-0, allowed 10 total points to TWO Big 12 teams, including powerhouse offense Texas Tech

One year and a game, huh? Thanks for not paying attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite the fact that they got their butts kicked by BYU, why did you fail to mention the 5-6 in 2004 (losing to the Big 12 Texas Tech team) and the 6-6 in 2001 (losing to two Big 12 teams)?

Schwartzy61 09-29-2006 08:00 PM

How can you own the Big 12 when you can't pay the rent in the Mountain West?

Troy Smith 10-07-2006 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BUMP!

BigSoonerFan 10-07-2006 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
BUMP!

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't be bringing this up due to that spanking Utah gave them, would you?

Troy Smith 10-07-2006 11:33 AM

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1792/tcusucksgb7.jpg