Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Shea Hillenbrand, WTF? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=166018)

ryanghall 07-21-2006 05:07 AM

Re: Shea Hillenbrand, WTF?

I've watched or listened to every Jays game this year save for three.

I think what Hillenbrand has been doing has been completely awful.

I like Gibbons. He's not perfect, but no manager is. I don't like the way he uses Speier. But overall, I think he's a good manager who has made a lot of good decisions this year. It's too bad Gibbons *didn't* beat the crap out of Hillenbrand.

I don't blame the front office for being a little upset w/ Vernon and Glaus. Vernon said something along the lines that he might be going to Texas next year in public. Not good. Glaus is hitting in the low .240s - far from ideal for your cleanup hitter.

Either way, the way Shea Hillenbrand has repaid Toronto for giving him a humongous contract is by sabotaging his trade value. Lovely.

I hope he gets traded to Kansas City.

Ryan

Pudge714 07-21-2006 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've watched or listened to every Jays game this year save for three.

I think what Hillenbrand has been doing has been completely awful.

I like Gibbons. He's not perfect, but no manager is. I don't like the way he uses Speier. But overall, I think he's a good manager who has made a lot of good decisions this year. It's too bad Gibbons *didn't* beat the crap out of Hillenbrand.

I don't blame the front office for being a little upset w/ Vernon and Glaus. Vernon said something along the lines that he might be going to Texas next year in public. Not good. Glaus is hitting in the low .240s - far from ideal for your cleanup hitter.

Either way, the way Shea Hillenbrand has repaid Toronto for giving him a humongous contract is by sabotaging his trade value. Lovely.

I hope he gets traded to Kansas City.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

You should post more here, we don't have enough Jays fans. To be fair about Vernon he is from Texas and Michael Young is his BFF.

Pudge714 07-22-2006 12:59 AM

Shea's a Giant. The Jays get Jeremy Accardo
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=7534

ryanghall 07-22-2006 05:47 AM

Holy crap. Is this *all* they could get? AND they had to throw in Chulk? Wow. I am not a fan of this. Surely they could have got more in such a sellers market [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] (Disclaimer: I know very little about NL players but this guy's stats aren't flooring me or anything).

Ryan

TheRover 07-22-2006 08:15 AM

his K and BB ratios are excellent. I was hoping he would take over as closer next time Benetiz got hurt cause he's on my fantasy team.

Pudge714 07-22-2006 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
his K and BB ratios are excellent. I was hoping he would take over as closer next time Benetiz got hurt cause he's on my fantasy team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed that was well his WHIP appears to be comptetent as well.

Dynasty 07-22-2006 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy crap. Is this *all* they could get?...Surely they could have got more in such a sellers market

[/ QUOTE ]

The Hillenbrand market was a buyer's market. The Blue Jays would have to eat his contract if they could not trade him.

DesertCat 07-22-2006 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He may sound like a selfish prick, but he does bring up a good question. How can a guy batting .301 not be playing almost every day?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you can hit .301 and still be a lousy hitter. Shea doesn't walk much, and doesn't get on base, he's got a below average on base percentage. OBP is a much better measure of hitting than batting average. You can make up for a low OBP by having great power (slugging percentage), but Shea's only got decent, but not great power.

And most of his gaudy stats come from hitting left handers, he can't hit right handers at all.

Plus he's a lousy defender, so you don't want to stick him in the field (though he can play 3rd in a pinch. So he's a below average DH, or 1B.

Platooning him in the right situation makes him useful, but not great.

THAY3R 07-22-2006 05:37 PM

Dude, he's hitting over .300!