Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Football Coaches: The Hiring Process (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=557103)

bernie 11-29-2007 10:10 PM

Re: Football Coaches: The Hiring Process

There will never, ever be an end to racism. Won't happen. It will always be there to some degree.

[ QUOTE ]
IMO When you force people to do things in favor of minorities it only helps breed racism.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a double edged sword.

[ QUOTE ]
If I was the person in charge of hiring a coach(college or NFL) I should have the right to interview whoever I wanted. I shouldn't be forced to interview someone b/c of the color of their skin but b/c of their ability to do the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Which goes for any job.

However, there are still people who have power to give jobs that race is still an issue. Sports is no exception.

b

I_AM_EVIL 11-29-2007 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I was the person in charge of hiring a coach(college or NFL) I should have the right to interview whoever I wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

NFL teams do have the right to interview whoever they want. To my knowledge there is no limit to the number of interview candidates they can talk to.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point I was trying to make is if I had a specific person or 2 in mind for the job I should be able to interview them and only them. I shouldn't be forced into interviewing someone b/c of the color of their skin.

Smell The Glove 11-29-2007 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am not racist

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, so true...

"Its like when people will begin a racist statement with 'Now I'm not racist, but....'"

link

[/ QUOTE ]

qft imo here's another post on this very topic (warning: may contain bbv4l content)

RunDownHouse 11-30-2007 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the Rooney rule does seem to be having a positive impact.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let's not conflate causation with correlation. I'd love to see some evidence for the latter, but I don't think it's there.

The B 11-30-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If I was the person in charge of hiring a coach(college or NFL) I should have the right to interview whoever I wanted. I shouldn't be forced to interview someone b/c of the color of their skin but b/c of their ability to do the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

A+

The B 11-30-2007 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am not racist

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, so true...

"Its like when people will begin a racist statement with 'Now I'm not racist, but....'"

[/ QUOTE ]

it's sad (and a sign of the times) that you have to preface debates/issues with an "I am not racist" statement...If i didn't say that this thread would be full of flaming w/ comments about The_B being racist and hating black people

ClarkNasty 11-30-2007 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's that a lot of assistants are lifers and that until 10-15 years ago there really was a color barrier. It takes time to even things out statistically.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is EXACTLY what they were saying 15-20 years ago.

ClarkNasty 11-30-2007 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's sad (and a sign of the times) that you have to preface debates/issues with an "I am not racist" statement...If i didn't say that this thread would be full of flaming w/ comments about The_B being racist and hating black people

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you preface a statement with "I'm not a racist but", it's so painfully obvious to everyone that flaming becomes a waste of time.

HajiShirazu 11-30-2007 04:21 PM

What kind of questions do they ask in these interviews? Is there stupid [censored] like "what is your favorite color"?

The B 11-30-2007 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"what is your favorite color"?

[/ QUOTE ]

better not say white