Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   my solution to the gay marriage argument (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=549672)

Inso0 11-19-2007 05:00 PM

Re: my solution to the gay marriage argument

[ QUOTE ]
No, he's saying that the tax incentives don't convert gays to heterosexuality or vice versa. People don't pick sexual partners based on tax incentives.

[/ QUOTE ]

And? What does that have to do with whether or not gays should get the tax benefits afforded to married people?

They don't fall into the category of people whom those tax breaks were designed to help. So why are we once again being pressured to legislate homosexuality into relevance?

NewTeaBag 11-19-2007 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why not get rid of marriage, unions, tax-breaks for cohabitation altogether?

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not just get rid of income taxes all together? Solved

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo Bongo! WINNAR!

Barcalounger 11-19-2007 05:19 PM

Years ago I heard Bill Mahr say the same thing about getting rid of marriage all together on his TV show. That's why I still watch his show sometimes when I get the chance, because occasionally he's right on.

mosdef 11-19-2007 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And? What does that have to do with whether or not gays should get the tax benefits afforded to married people?

[/ QUOTE ]

The "and" is that on the one hand you are saying the tax benefits change human behaviour ("ZOMG JUST LOOK AT HOLLAND AND THE GHEYS!!!11!") and on the other hand you admit they do not change human behaviour, you just like taking money from people you don't like and giving it to people you do like.

[ QUOTE ]
They don't fall into the category of people whom those tax breaks were designed to help. So why are we once again being pressured to legislate homosexuality into relevance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you didn't JUST say that they were getting tax money to "help" them, you implied that the flamers are conquering Holland because of the tax incentives.

Edit: I missed where it was that "In The Dark" person talking about Holland - I got confused because you were responding to someone else's response to him. My bad.

Inso0 11-19-2007 06:02 PM

Yeah, that wasn't me.

I don't think the tax/marriage laws are likely to influence the amount of gays one way or another. But a child who grows up with gay parents seems more likely to decide that they feel the same way, imo.

BluffTHIS! 11-19-2007 06:27 PM

All,

I have decided that we should keep the status quo on this issue nationally for at least 5 years. If you don't believe that I have the power to do this, then come back here within 5 years if it changes and post same to prove me wrong.

mbillie1 11-19-2007 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

I have decided that we should keep the status quo on this issue nationally for at least 5 years. If you don't believe that I have the power to do this, then come back here within 5 years if it changes and post same to prove me wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

do I win something because BluffThis! posted in my thread? or do I lose?

Kaj 11-20-2007 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

do I win something because BluffThis! posted in my thread? or do I lose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone loses.

vhawk01 11-20-2007 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that wasn't me.

I don't think the tax/marriage laws are likely to influence the amount of gays one way or another. But a child who grows up with gay parents seems more likely to decide that they feel the same way, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because this argument never gets old:

So the only reason you like women is because your mom loves the [censored]?

vhawk01 11-20-2007 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, he's saying that the tax incentives don't convert gays to heterosexuality or vice versa. People don't pick sexual partners based on tax incentives.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess once you've already accepted "each according to his need" this position isnt that much of a stretch. Good point about fairness and equality being irrelevant.