Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Post the name here of a random 1980s baseball player (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=466278)

legend42 08-08-2007 03:30 PM

Re: Post the name here of a random 1980s baseball player

Thumbing through an old Bill James book, I came across this piece he wrote about Terry Francona (also contains some good names for this thread):

"What a worthless player. Francona, whose father was one of my favorite players, has the lowest career secodary average of any active player (500 or more games). What makes this especially striking is that almost everybody else in the bottom ten is a shortstop, and not really expected to contribute much offensively- the bottom ten are Francona, Ed Romero, Ozzie Guillen, Curtis Wilkerson, Mickey Hatcher, Craig Reynolds, Rafael Ramirez, Glenn Hoffman, Alfredo Griffin, and Jim Gantner.

Francona also has the fewest runs scored and driven per hit of any major league player over his career; he is followed on that list by Bruce Benedict, Harold Reynolds, Greg Gross, Wilkerson, Mike Scioscia, Jose Oquendo, Ron Oester, Jose Uribe, and Damaso Garcia. Those middle infielders, if they can chip in a single here and there, you're happy with it, but what is it exactly that Francona does?..."

I wonder if this ever comes up around the office at Fenway.

polkaface 08-08-2007 04:19 PM

Fred Patek

prohornblower 08-08-2007 04:48 PM

Glenn Davis
Wally Backman

RickAstleyFan 08-09-2007 12:32 AM

I love the Lenn Sakata reference, by the way.

anatta 08-09-2007 02:01 AM

Chico Ruiz, Terry Harper, Ed Miller I saw these guys play in AAA Richmond Braves as a kid on the way up or on the way down.

TurdFerguson 08-09-2007 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fred Patek

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, borderline, as he's more known as a 1970s player for KC, but his last year was in '81.

Let's try Marvell Wynne and Alan Wiggins.

Jim Kuhn 08-09-2007 02:48 AM

My favorite poker playing baseball player from the 1980's - Pat Perry. Any Cardinals fans remember Tom Lawless or Cesar Cedeno?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

prohornblower 08-09-2007 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any Cardinals fans remember Tom Lawless or Cesar Cedeno?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cesar Cedeno? Of course... and who could forget Tom "Flawless" Lawless. The epitome of Replacement Player. His only claim-to-fame was that he hit a home run in a playoff game once. Well that, and his kick-ass mustache.

Triumph36 08-09-2007 10:05 AM

anyone get the base-stealing catcher john wathan yet?

shane rawley mentioned?

bruce ruffin?

RickAstleyFan 08-16-2007 11:26 PM

Tim Foli