Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Bears 2006 Season Thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=208934)

cardsharkk04 11-29-2006 09:14 AM

Re: Bears 2006 Season Thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes we get pretty caught up in the stats that someone puts up. Or the highlights we see on TV. There was a funny line the other day from John Clayton. Someone from inside the Bears asked him why everyone is so critical of Grossman. Trey Wingo jumps in with well did they watch the game on Sunday? Then I did watch the game and thought, wait Trey did you watch the game? If not for an unlucky fumbled snap or a false start on a guy who hadn't been active in three or four weeks or Urlacher trying to tackle Brady instead of just touch him down when he slides. Then you can look at it the other way where if Manning doesn't get that second strip on Gabriel or if Tillman gets called for a face guard it's a different game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but your argument sucks. You can come up with all the what-ifs you want. Hey, what if the patriots didn't have 5 turnovers. What would have happened then?

cardsharkk04 11-29-2006 09:16 AM

Any of the top teams in the AFC will murder the Bears

Sluss 11-29-2006 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Sometimes we get pretty caught up in the stats that someone puts up. Or the highlights we see on TV. There was a funny line the other day from John Clayton. Someone from inside the Bears asked him why everyone is so critical of Grossman. Trey Wingo jumps in with well did they watch the game on Sunday? Then I did watch the game and thought, wait Trey did you watch the game? If not for an unlucky fumbled snap or a false start on a guy who hadn't been active in three or four weeks or Urlacher trying to tackle Brady instead of just touch him down when he slides. Then you can look at it the other way where if Manning doesn't get that second strip on Gabriel or if Tillman gets called for a face guard it's a different game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but your argument sucks. You can come up with all the what-ifs you want. Hey, what if the patriots didn't have 5 turnovers. What would have happened then?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a what-if argument. It's a it was a close game that could have gone either way with a few plays argument. And it's not really an argument, it was a close game that could have gone either way. My argument is that Rex Grossman did not have as bad of a game as everyone in the world seems to think he did. That one you can disagree with.

If you want to get into the difference between forced turnovers and mistake turnovers we can do that too.

cardsharkk04 11-29-2006 09:56 AM

so what did you think of those pass interference calls? I think Grossman needs to underthrow his receivers more often.

Shajen 11-29-2006 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a strange experience last night. I sat down and watched the NFL Replay on the NFL Network. This time not watching the game so much as Rex's progressions, decison making, decison making under presure and just in general the way the offense went.

After watching the game on Sunday I had a pretty sick feeling. I really didn't think the Bears could put together three games with Rex not blowing up. My memory from Sunday put this game in the Miami/Arizona range.

Turns out I was wrong. The offense wasn't even close to as bad as I thought it was watching the game live. Grossman was actually making some good reads on some strange coverages. During the game you scream over and over again about why he was whipping the ball down field. But there were only one or two where there was safety help over the top. And on many of them there was alot of pressure. Then after throwing a few you would see Benson or Jones rip off a nice run or two. Some good play calling by Turner to mix in the run and pass after the safeties were being jacked back and forth between covering the deep ball and trying to support the run.

As a matter of fact the offense looked almost the way you would want it to look. Long methotic drives some nice third down throws to keep drives alive and some smart play calls when the Patriots were left on their heels. Was Rex standing there in the pocket and firing passes right on the mark, no. But when he was able to stand in the pocket he was pretty accurate. Most of the throws that were a little behind or overthrown where on third down when the Patriots did what the "beat Rex game plan" says brought a bunch of pressure in his face. The part I thought was good was that Rex would trust his pre-snap read and throw the ball to an open spot that the reciever would have to be in only if he made the same read. There were a couple of throws where the reciever ran the wrong route (or read the coverage wrong) and a couple of throws where it looked like the ball came out too early. But the amount of time his pre-snap read was correct was pretty good and this is the team that hides their coverage better than any defense in the league. I also liked the double moves after Samuel jumping that skinny post to Berrian, they called a bunch of double moves hoping to get Samuel to jump them like he did the first one and catch him napping over the top.

The drive that led to the first field goal block was a great drive. The drive that led to the fumbled snap was also a good drive.

The biggest mistake Rex made all day was the int on that pass to Desmond Clark. It was a reall tight spot he had to fit the ball in down the field. It would have taken a perfect throw and with the blitzes and the coverges there was no way he was going to be able to make. Aikman (who was god awful, but not much of suprise there) for some reason is deciding he is open. With a defender underneath one in front and one bearing down from behind. Basically if the ball is thrown high enough to get over Samuel, Clark is fully extended with a defender aiming for his ribs. And if he throws it to the inside he is going to be lit up by the linebacker who has dropped to that point in coverage.

In the end it was two good evenly matched teams with good defenses slugging it out and the team that had to make their third time zone trip in three weeks couldn't make the plays to win the game in the end.

If Griese is the QB in that game I don't think the running game is as effective and the passing game while maybe more accurate would have given up more sacks and had more three and outs. All of that could have led to a much bigger Patriots win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Outstanding post Sluss.

I've never lobbied for Griese. I remember how he was Captain Chokesalot back in the day at Denver and Miami. He is a backup QB, and nothing more. He's not done worth a damn in any situation where it has mattered.

Looking at Grossman, all I can think is he's this close || to being an awesome QB. Some of his decisions aren't the best, but then again, his receiving corps is either very young or old and losing a step or 10.

We'll be fine, the only thing that matters is getting a couple more wins for HFA throughout the playoffs.

Sluss 11-29-2006 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so what did you think of those pass interference calls? I think Grossman needs to underthrow his receivers more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they were pretty bad. I don't think one was and the other one was very ticky tack. I also thought the refs missed three others. The one where Chad Jackson was face guarded by Tillman. One when Troy Brown held Moose with his back hand. One in the end zone when Berrian was grabbed by his hip.

There was also a god awful late hit call where Dillon was less than half a step out of bounds. And Manning was in the air before he stepped out.

Plus, there were the two plays before the half that had to be reviewed even though they fell out right in front of the ref.

I posted in the Patriots thread that I thought this was one of the worst officiated games of the year.

MikeyPatriot 11-29-2006 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any of the top teams in the AFC will murder the Bears

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the Bears just went in to Gillette Stadium and did not get "murdered."

cardsharkk04 11-30-2006 02:49 AM

I'm mainly referring to the Colts, Chargers, and maybe the Ravens

Michael Davis 11-30-2006 07:29 AM

The first pass interference call was an atrocity, the second was a great call, the defender blocked receiver's route and slowed him up without looking for the ball.

-Michael

bugstud 11-30-2006 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought they were pretty bad. I don't think one was and the other one was very ticky tack. I also thought the refs missed three others. The one where Chad Jackson was face guarded by Tillman. One when Troy Brown held Moose with his back hand. One in the end zone when Berrian was grabbed by his hip.

There was also a god awful late hit call where Dillon was less than half a step out of bounds. And Manning was in the air before he stepped out.

Plus, there were the two plays before the half that had to be reviewed even though they fell out right in front of the ref.

I posted in the Patriots thread that I thought this was one of the worst officiated games of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

that late hit was really, really bad. Dillon hadn't stepped out of bounds yet.