Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How much would you spend.. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=550387)

NT! 11-20-2007 09:45 PM

Re: How much would you spend..

it's not just appearance. men who age well become wiser, more patient, less insecure, more perceptive, etc. if you think it's just money you're kidding yourself.

Keyser. 11-20-2007 10:10 PM

$20k. I'm not really unhappy with how I look but 3 full points would significantly improve my quality of life (I think).

A few weeks ago I was talking to friends about this same question, but I posed it as "how much money would you spend to become the most attractive man on the planet?" (of course no one person could be that but just assume you would become a physically perfect specimen, Brad Pitt, Antonious, etc.)

My answer would probably be all my money.

prohornblower 11-20-2007 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's not just appearance. men who age well become wiser, more patient, less insecure, more perceptive, etc. if you think it's just money you're kidding yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I'm pretty sure Henry was talking about strictly the physical characteristics of aging. I don't think Henry wants to keep from becoming wiser, patient, secure, or perceptive.

NasEscobar 11-21-2007 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who wouldn't pay a shitton of $ to become a 10, or whatever, is seriously underestimating how much better really, really good-looking people have it than the rest of humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is begging for a Zoolander pic. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not just talking about picking up chicks, although there is that. I'm talking about getting jobs, promotions, and overall earning power. I'm talking about the advantages that come with people basically liking you right off the bat.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is spot on. Pretty much every study ever on the subject says that attractive people are treated better in basically every situation in life.

tarheeljks 11-21-2007 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who wouldn't pay a shitton of $ to become a 10, or whatever, is seriously underestimating how much better really, really good-looking people have it than the rest of humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

how can you tell someone else how much this should be worth to them?

jeffman 11-21-2007 12:28 AM

I thought this is why people drink so much....
so we see others +3 and others see us +3

Tyler Durden 11-21-2007 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Game >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>> Looks imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Vavavoom 11-21-2007 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Game >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>> Looks imo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
atm I'm hotter than most of 2p2 according to BBV4L so I'm not even sure its possible for me to get 3 points hotter.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP for me

j/k

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

On a serious note,

Nasescobar nailed it. If you feel confident in your appearance everything else follows. Looks or at least appearance show the level of pride someone has in themselves, without getting too narcissistic. Obesity, apart from the very few genetic/ilness related cases just shows laziness. Diet also affects looks etc. So basically how you look sends out a message to everyone about soem of your personality traits. Confident people are normally extroverted, and hence more people will listen to what they say, thus meaning they progress quicker than the "cleverer ugly person".

Henry17 11-21-2007 08:14 AM

That people keep coming back to the game > looks argument is significant.

I don't believe that the people making this argument don't realize it is a nonsensical argument.

Game 9 Looks 7 vs Game 9 Looks 10. Obviously the second choice is better off.

I'm still trying to figure out the motivation for the attempted diversion by presenting a clearly fallacious argument.

Wilpro 11-21-2007 08:52 AM

Sigh, my looks prob a 6/10 - game 4/10 - and poker 3/10
Where is the suicide booth?

Vavavoom 11-21-2007 08:56 AM

Game = Personality

A lot of girls will tell u I think that :

Personality 8 + Looks 6 >>>> Personality 4 + Looks 8

Henry17 11-21-2007 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Personality 8 + Looks 6 >>>> Personality 4 + Looks 8

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I agree with this. People date their own physical attractiveness level +/- 1 point unless there is some circumstance such as wealth or fame to alter this.

That being said even if we assume you are correct what does this have to do with the hypothetical presented?

The question was not would you trade 3 personality points for 3 look points. The question was would you trade money for look points. Personality would stay constant or improve from added confidence.

tarheeljks 11-21-2007 09:06 AM

Personality 8 + Looks 6 ?= Personality 6 + Looks 8

tons of guys are in the 6 range (physically) so this is a more interesting case, no?

i suspect girls would say personality weighs heavier than looks, but i'm skeptical if it's true in practice.

Vavavoom 11-21-2007 09:20 AM

Tarhelljks,

I think in a club setting - The looks get noticed first.
Out of that setting Personality >>> Looks

henry17,

I wouldn't trade money for looks as I'm not conceited enough and I'm a very confident person. However, if anyone did trade money for looks, I think their personality would change. It would have to, so as to adapt to the new looks/attention/opportunites etc..

Henry17 11-21-2007 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if anyone did trade money for looks, I think their personality would change. It would have to, so as to adapt to the new looks/attention/opportunites etc..

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know any guys who have had plastic surgery but I do plenty of girls who have had breast implants. Their personality didn't change.

But if I understand your position by encouraging my overweight friend to start a workout program and improve his physical appearance I'm hurting his personality?

Vavavoom 11-21-2007 09:47 AM

henry, if you're friend gets fitter and more healthier, and thus feels better about himself...he'll be more confident in everything else he then does... Its all linked... Ok fundamentally, some personality traits will remain fixed, but his personality will change and more often than not its for the better...

As for the breast implants thats a bad example as I don't know one girl that has had it done who isn't different as a result....Ie they have gone from being insecure in their appearance to going topless on holidays, showing them off and wearing skimpier outfits and thus getting more attention from guys. They have adjusted the way they then act around these people and some of the traits they displayed pre-op have now changed.

A better example would be rhinoplasty (nose jobs)... I know several girls that have had them done who are completely different people now as a result... and you woudn't be able to tell unless you knew them before and after...More discreet then boob enlargements and yet just as much a factor in personality changes !

I think that the world today puts too much emphasis on looks... Looks will only get you so far, but most doors are opened further by personality traits and intelligence.

Vava

tarheeljks 11-21-2007 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if I understand your position by encouraging my overweight friend to start a workout program and improve his physical appearance I'm hurting his personality?

[/ QUOTE ]

the change doesn't have to be a bad thing-- if the guy is a 3 b/c he's obese and becomes 5 or 6 after shedding the weight his attitude will probably change for the better.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 11-21-2007 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much would you be willing to spend to up your facial attractiveness by like 3 points.. (on 1 to 10 scale)? I know for myself the answer comes out to at least $30k. Is attractiveness really worth that much? OOT what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]
if you have a corporate job i am sure each point equals thousand of dollars in raises.

Henry17 11-21-2007 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
henry, if you're friend gets fitter and more healthier, and thus feels better about himself...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand your position.

Spending $30k to improve face = decrease in personality
Working out to improve body = better personality

You do realize this is inconsistent.

[ QUOTE ]
if you have a corporate job i am sure each point equals thousand of dollars in raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

During articling interviews for Bay St law firms I'd say looks were worth at least a half letter grade (probably more).

----------

Girlfriend work up so I asked her about the game vs looks issue. Her position is if a guy has looks he doesn't need game. Girls will just go up to him and he can then pick from the ones that approach. I have two male friends who are 10s and my experience when out with them also supports her view.

cianosheehan 11-21-2007 10:32 AM

PErsonally I'd pay more for +3 insta game points rather than +3 insta looks points.

vbm 11-21-2007 10:34 AM

all this talk of personality is whack.

If I were a 10, I would roll round nightclubs picking up hot drunken chicks. Once they realise my personality is a 4, I have got what I wanted and they will leave and hopefully never bother me again.

Vavavoom 11-21-2007 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't understand your position.

Spending $30k to improve face = decrease in personality
Working out to improve body = better personality

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said that...so not sure where you are getting that from... I'm a big believer in confidence comes from how you percieve yourself..

----------
[ QUOTE ]

Girlfriend work up so I asked her about the game vs looks issue. Her position is if a guy has looks he doesn't need game. Girls will just go up to him and he can then pick from the ones that approach. I have two male friends who are 10s and my experience when out with them also supports her view.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are 10s...? There are no way they are 10's....and thats without seeing them...

Impossible...Maybe a high 8 bordering a 9...but unless you've got Brad Pitt looking friends then this is not the case...

I don't know many girls who approach guys ! Good looking guys will often approach girls thinking their looks will carry them through...and they get found out...

I'll just assume you are in the US/Canada and things are just slightly different to what I have experienced in the UK...

Vava

Henry17 11-21-2007 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said that...so not sure where you are getting that from...

[/ QUOTE ]

When I said that increasing looks would keep personality the same or improve it you seemed to disagree.

[ QUOTE ]
However, if anyone did trade money for looks, I think their personality would change. It would have to, so as to adapt to the new looks/attention/opportunites etc..

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the context of the discussion I figured you meant change in a negative way since my position would be that it would stay the same or improve.

Keepitsimple 11-21-2007 11:11 AM

personality is so OT

traz 11-21-2007 11:17 AM

This thread degenerated into a really lame discussion. Everyone knows that game is the biggest aspect to picking up girls, but improved looks would still help most people in a big way.

This thread kinda sucks though...I want to talk more about breaking my legs so I can gain a couple inches. Someone trip report it for me

tarheeljks 11-21-2007 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread kinda sucks though...I want to talk more about breaking my legs so I can gain a couple inches. Someone trip report it for me

[/ QUOTE ]

seconded. i volunteer henry