Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   borodog's mistaken understanding of M3...don't listen to his drivel (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547369)

ojc02 11-16-2007 01:50 PM

Re: borodog\'s mistaken understanding of M3...don\'t listen to his drive

[ QUOTE ]
... there are circumstances that can exist where the "printing of money by the fed" doesn't devalue the dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand how, all else equal, expanding the money supply doesn't devalue the dollar.

I could understand that you might see a situation where the money supply is expanded but less than the market was expecting and the dollar rallies. Also if another country expands its money supply more than we do then our currency should increase in value relative to theirs.

Again, if you were to control for other factors, shouldn't expanding the money supply always lead to a devaluing of the dollar?

owsley 11-16-2007 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i started THIS thread not to destract from

[/ QUOTE ]

You should do yourself a favor and use proper capitalization and spelling. Once I see someone use words like "destract" it really makes it hard to take their point seriously. Maybe you are in a hurry or posting from a PDA or something, but your posts would be much better and easier to understand if you changed this.

This applies to a lot of people, not just Dcifrths.

Money2Burn 11-16-2007 01:58 PM

I will never understand [censored] like this, internet grudges are almost as retarded as real life grudges. How can two people as intelligent as you two get this crazy over something so insignificant?

cliffs notes:

"Yo dawg! you stepped on my PUMA's! You betta recognize sucka"

"Dawg, those ain't even PUMA's! Theys ADIDAS foo!"

"You sayin I ain't wearin shoes Yo?!!"

"I's SAYIN, YO MOMMAS AN UGLY HO!"

"AWWWWWW SHITT Ima gon get my GAT and shoot yo in yo grill!"

Zygote 11-16-2007 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will never understand [censored] like this, internet grudges are almost as retarded as real life grudges. How can two people as intelligent as you two get this crazy over something so insignificant?

cliffs notes:

"Yo dawg! you stepped on my PUMA's! You betta recognize sucka"

"Dawg, those ain't even PUMA's! Theys ADIDAS foo!"

"You sayin I ain't wearin shoes Yo?!!"

"I's SAYIN, YO MOMMAS AN UGLY HO!"

"AWWWWWW SHITT Ima gon get my GAT and shoot yo in yo grill!"

[/ QUOTE ]

i personally wish they were fighting over something more substantial. The hissing comments are the best part of this thread but a little quality meat would've made going through much more interesting.

Orlando Salazar 11-16-2007 02:06 PM

It seems they are arguing over whether Boro is miseducating less informed posters on economics. I'd say that has some meat. But word is Boro hit on DCFR's girl too. That make it way more interesting.

DcifrThs 11-16-2007 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... there are circumstances that can exist where the "printing of money by the fed" doesn't devalue the dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand how, all else equal, expanding the money supply doesn't devalue the dollar.

I could understand that you might see a situation where the money supply is expanded but less than the market was expecting and the dollar rallies. Also if another country expands its money supply more than we do then our currency should increase in value relative to theirs.

Again, if you were to control for other factors, shouldn't expanding the money supply always lead to a devaluing of the dollar?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was using that to explain more clearly why the poker example was bad.

here is the intial statement i responded to:

[ QUOTE ]
When we lower interest rates, the value of the currency goes down, because more money is printed. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

i pointed out that the currency goes down b/c of interest rate diffs. interest rate diffs, assuming it is the US;s thats falling, come from the fed releasing more money (increasing money supply). it is just the clearer way to think about it.

that statement was likely read without understanding the distinction which is why i spoke up in the BFI thread.

we can all clearly agree that when the fed has a low interest rate bias (which it has exhibited for a long time), the value of the dollar, all else equal, will decline relative to its trading partners.

i simply want to make sure we all understand both WHY and WHY NOT. that understanding seems slightly lacking which, again, is why i chimed in.

Barron

DcifrThs 11-16-2007 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems they are arguing over whether Boro is miseducating less informed posters on economics. I'd say that has some meat. But word is Boro hit on DCFR's girl too. That make it way more interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

he hasn't hit on my girl. but the first thing is definitely part of why he upsets me so.

i can't wait for him to respond to this though:

[ QUOTE ]
you can't change the fact that you have used numerous times in the past the cessation of the printing of M3 as ammunition saying that "they just stopped doing it because it looks worse." well, if you took 3 seconds to look up what was actually contained in M3 you'd see there are things that are distortive, informationwise as the use of repos has exponentially increased, without increasing the value of the indicator....

...or maybe you did look up M3 and saw it contained things that you didn't understand or know the extent of (repos) and just assumed it was a govt conspiracy anyways.

now you want to say "well it doesn't matter M2, M3, who gives a sh*t," but you can't. why? simply because you've used the not publishing of M3, like i just said, as evidence against the fed.

NOTE: please reread that before continuing. i'm not delving into a fed interest rate debate here. i'm simply saying that evidence you've used in the past is that it is fishy that the fed chose to stop publication of M3. Ron Paul has used the same in his speaches, but none of the opposition understood what could have been the real reason. notice that ron paul DIDNT say that when ben bernanke was the one being questioned because he would have gotten it shoved down his throat while he DID delve into almost every other major issue he had while he had his time at the M&B committee testimony.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I scoffed at the idea that the reason they stopped publishing it is cost

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, so you scoffed that they stopped the publication b/c of cost. but why? what was your alternative hypothesis?

you didn't possibly consider the reason they stopped publishing it is a combination of usefulness (repos distorting it) and cost...like they (the fed) said.

Quote:

No more, no less. Oh, but I forget! The government would never have any motives that aren't pure as the driven snow. No, it couldn't POSSIBLY be that M3 just looks worse than M2.

well, a poster below me said it so i'll just quote his reply:

Quote:

Boro I don't think you can both at the same time say "No more, no less." and "No, it couldn't POSSIBLY be that M3 just looks worse than M2." I have yet to see something that the M3 numbers are more accurate then the m2 numbers. You have stated that the M3 number is the important one, and the only reason that you have given is that it's looks worse. Nor have you made a statement regarding the cost to the fed to acquire M3 versus extra knowledge that can gleamed above M2. I'll grant you motive that the fed might not want to publish numbers that make them look bad, but is there any other reason then a MO, that this is a conspiracy?

so boro, call me crazy, keep belittling me and getting backing, it doesn't matter. the fact that you won't "let me get away with it" will only back you into a acorner until you will have to admit you are wrong...which is what i want.

you might even say something like "OK FINE, scoffing at the cost was a means i used to sell people on the conspiracy to stop printing it" or some other quick one liner to now discount this discussion without actually admitting being wrong. that won't fly and we'll keep at it until you have admitting your incorrectness here.

if that makes me crazy, so be it. but all the crazy insults, therapy cats, or other belittling words (no matter how funny...because therapy cat was not a 9/10, it was 10/10) won't distract from the goal i set out here of insulting you (may or may not be accomplished, but either way i'll concentrate more on the next goal) and to prove you wrong.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

Zygote 11-16-2007 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
When we lower interest rates, the value of the currency goes down, because more money is printed. Right?

[/ QUOTE ]

i pointed out that the currency goes down b/c of interest rate diffs. interest rate diffs, assuming it is the US;s thats falling, come from the fed releasing more money (increasing money supply). it is just the clearer way to think about it.

that statement was likely read without understanding the distinction which is why i spoke up in the BFI thread.

we can all clearly agree that when the fed has a low interest rate bias (which it has exhibited for a long time), the value of the dollar, all else equal, will decline relative to its trading partners.

i simply want to make sure we all understand both WHY and WHY NOT. that understanding seems slightly lacking which, again, is why i chimed in.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

A currency's value is not simply measured by its exchange rate with other fiat money.

A currency's value is determined by what it can purchase across the board.

pvn 11-16-2007 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
REVISED CLIFF NOTES:
1)Words words words, rant, rant, rant, MX, MQ, Blibbity, blabbity, fidoucheiary stuffz.
2)Decifer: Boro, you're a BUUHOLE!
3)Boro: Haha! You're a word twisting BUUHOLE
4)pvn: Boro's BUUHOLE smells better
5)Decifer: nannay nanny poo poo I already said I'm a BUUHOLE!
6)Bring out the LOLCATS
7)More words words words words, MZ,M42X, planet smartron 5
8)Decipher: I may be a BUUHOLE but I'm a RIGHT BUUHOLE!

[/ QUOTE ]

A+

This thread is the thread that keeps on giving.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5575/koreabi5.jpg

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/7...2855537zz1.jpg

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/7...zburgerdy4.jpg

ALawPoker 11-16-2007 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can two people as intelligent as you two get this crazy over something so insignificant?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to come off as Borodog's fan boy (I really couldn't give a [censored] about the grudge either), but I think it's pretty clear that Barron is the one getting crazy over the insignificant M3 thing. Borodog is reacting to the fact that Barron created a misleading thread to try to slander him over something that is entirely irrelevant.

ianlippert 11-16-2007 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
those who don't understand econ (many who read and have been converted) take it as such a literal relationship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no somebody doesnt understand econ?!?!?!?

Some guy on the internet is spreading misinformation and confusing the issue to a small minority of people on a poker msg board.

Dude, go watch anything on CNN or the majority of stuff that gets taught at universities. To blow up at Boro for one minor point (the 'conspiracy' of the non-publication of the M3) makes you look absolutely insane.

You've really done yourself a disservice. You are one of the non austrians whos posts I enjoy reading because I think you have a lot of good things to say. But now whenever I'm going to read one of your posts I'm going to be thinking to myself "oh its THAT guy".

You could have just made a civil post asking boro to clarify his position on M3. Of course that would have been much less entertaining for the rest of us.

Exsubmariner 11-16-2007 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And?

What is it like in your head dude? Because on the outside IT'S [censored] CRAZY.

What do you think this shows?

Uh, duh, I already said that I thought the important statistic was M3.

When will you admit it isn't even about M3, but rather the fact that you are an insulting a-hole that can't admit he's an insulting a-hole?

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, that's it.....

For meddling with powers in the universe that are beyond your comprehension and embodied by a green name, I emplore the gods that an instant permaban be brought forth upon you.....

bills217 11-16-2007 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This thread needs more lolcats.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/781/fightop9.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

A+ would read again

sightless 11-16-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once I see someone use words like "destract" it really makes it hard to take their point seriousl

[/ QUOTE ]

dont read poker forums then

DcifrThs 11-16-2007 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
those who don't understand econ (many who read and have been converted) take it as such a literal relationship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no somebody doesnt understand econ?!?!?!?

Some guy on the internet is spreading misinformation and confusing the issue to a small minority of people on a poker msg board.

Dude, go watch anything on CNN or the majority of stuff that gets taught at universities. To blow up at Boro for one minor point (the 'conspiracy' of the non-publication of the M3) makes you look absolutely insane.

You've really done yourself a disservice. You are one of the non austrians whos posts I enjoy reading because I think you have a lot of good things to say. But now whenever I'm going to read one of your posts I'm going to be thinking to myself "oh its THAT guy".

You could have just made a civil post asking boro to clarify his position on M3. Of course that would have been much less entertaining for the rest of us.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's his methodology he uses. i'm not the only one that feels this way since i've gotten PM's in agreement. i'm just the only one that lost it as a result of a history i have with borodog.

here is some more history where i jibed at him passive aggressively and he flew off the handle.

Linky

i blew up at boro to blow up at boro. the M3 issue is just the outlet. i'm glad that it at least was entertaining to you. it made me feel good as the outlet i mentioned.

in terms of the disservice to myself, the content of my posts haven't changed and i doubt there will be future episodes like this and there certainly haven't been any with anybody else. he just really got under my skin. my choice to let it happen and go at him like that.

so you can think "oh that guy" and thats fine. the overall content of my posts though will certainly not change.

i'm about to make a civil one that i hope we can discuss and get something out of (A follow up to the inflation/bernanke/paul thread)

take care,
Barron

DcifrThs 11-16-2007 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

A currency's value is not simply measured by its exchange rate with other fiat money.

A currency's value is determined by what it can purchase across the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is definitely a discussion we can have. arguably, for those that consume in US dollars, a weaker currency does little to alter their standard of living.

the value of the dollar vs. other currencies is broken down by:

~50% interest rate diffs
~30% growth diffs
~20% CA diffs
~10% momentum/other

#s might be off but it is from a bernstein study on the decomposition of currency returns.

Barron

Ineedaride2 11-16-2007 05:15 PM

I almost never talk like this but....well..

lol this thread is dum.

Zygote 11-16-2007 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
arguably, for those that consume in US dollars, a weaker currency does little to alter their standard of living.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if domestic prices rise significantly?

Orlando Salazar 11-16-2007 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
arguably, for those that consume in US dollars, a weaker currency does little to alter their standard of living.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cause all goods Americans consume are produced in the US, right?

AlexM 11-16-2007 05:37 PM

Re: borodog\'s mistaken understanding of M3...don\'t listen to his drivel

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1023/...d2fa7d18b1.jpg

ALawPoker 11-16-2007 05:43 PM

(From the other thread.)

[ QUOTE ]
PS- obviously this is not a fly off the handle thread so all insults and crazy comments about me or comments about me being crazy should, imo, be left in the other thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of like you, Barron. You're crazy, yet endearing. Your maniacal ranting comes with a unique level-headed flair, and it has found a way into my heart.

vulturesrow 11-16-2007 06:08 PM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] LOLcats, that is all.

DcifrThs 11-16-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Cause all goods Americans consume are produced in the US, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. but overall the effect is minimal on those who consume in dollars. corporate profit margins change by way more than consumers' lives are changed.

inflation in terms of price increases on the stuff we (in the US for example) buy on a regular basis is definitely a problem if it gets out of hand. despite the govt's 'manipulation' of CPI (mainly by choosing not to use the 'clinton era' version of it that takes about 3% points off), flows through to CPI are definiltey indicitive of price changes. but we haven't seen massive inflation in the past.

it may be that we are now at the turning point and the inflection will dislodge the current system or plunge us into a type of stagflation. another outcome is that we lumber along and continue distorting one asset price after another.

asset prices aren't in the CPI though (other than housing and some commodity prices) and this distortion is definitely noticeable...though from the fed's perspective, it is tough to be a pricker of bubbles though some are pushing it that way. unlikely it'll happen...

one interesting thing that may be happening that dampers the effect huge increases in M2 has on real economic price changes is that the excess money flows to investments rather than goods and services so the prices of them may not reflect the "true" inflation if asset prices are all taken into acct.

one thought is that money supply has been increasing at a very fast pace for a very long time and US prices haven't received the push they should given the expected flow through. we should definitelyb e seeing increases in CPI that we haven't had all that money poured into the economy and was searching for a home, right?

Barron

DcifrThs 11-16-2007 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if domestic prices rise significantly?

[/ QUOTE ]

i kind of touched on this in the post above but 'significant' price rises, if orderly, won't have a big impact b/c wages may also rise. a very fast rise in inflation (price changes) is very detrimental to wage earners though since wages are far stickier than the prices for goods and services, like stuff....and things.

this is a tough discussion to have in a vacuum though since the fed's decision to handle one aspect of the issue over another produces a feedback look that isn't touched on above.

Barron

Zygote 11-16-2007 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i kind of touched on this in the post above but 'significant' price rises, if orderly, won't have a big impact b/c wages may also rise. a very fast rise in inflation (price changes) is very detrimental to wage earners though since wages are far stickier than the prices for goods and services, like stuff....and things.

[/ QUOTE ]

price rises are never orderly.

secondly, you forget about those in fixed wage contracts, those who gave out fixed rate loans, most forms of fixed income and cash savings etc.

Service quality also declines initially because that's easier to adjust than a price rise.

A whole array of negative problems also come when prices actually should fall since the economy is crunching and purging the over expansion. Unions try keep wages high which causes mass unemployment, as one example.

There are so many disastrous things to many people's standard of living when prices rise due to inflation.

DcifrThs 11-16-2007 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

price rises are never orderly.

secondly, you forget about those in fixed wage contracts, those who gave out fixed rate loans, most forms of fixed income and cash savings etc.

Service quality also declines initially because that's easier to adjust than a price rise.

A whole array of negative problems also come when prices actually should fall since the economy is crunching and purging the over expansion. Unions try keep wages high which causes mass unemployment, as one example.

There are so many disastrous things to many people's standard of living when prices rise due to inflation.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely true. and those can all happen.

like i said, we are at a very interesting turning point in the US and global economy. the inflection point may bring the runaway inflation that causes many of those problems.

the "orderly" price changes i've mentioned is what we've seen until now. unemployment is low (though more like 5.5% than 4.7% if you bring back in those who "gave up' looking for work) and those problems are non-existant for the most part despite a massive increase in M2 in the past.

again, the inflection point may change that but i don't see the signs in the economy of the runaway inflation of the 70s. but it may be too early for those signs to be visible. how the global imbalances unravel (and especially the speed with which they do) will be the determinants imo.

US consumers cannot support growth any longer. savings rates are artificially low, credit conditions are tightening etc. etc.

this next phase in the US economy (late 3rd quarter of the hypothetical 4 quarter business cycle transitioning to 4th quarter) will be the indicator of whether or not we see those huge problems you spoke of.

Barron

Zygote 11-16-2007 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
again, the inflection point may change that but i don't see the signs in the economy of the runaway inflation of the 70s. but it may be too early for those signs to be visible. how the global imbalances unravel (and especially the speed with which they do) will be the determinants imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

My portfolio is targetted around something similar happening to the 70's inflation. I believe the US will be faced with some variety of stagflaion. I want to make a big post about this and will get around to it soon. Assuming i dont get greedy and try save this for a news/commentary site im coming out with in the near future.

[ QUOTE ]
US consumers cannot support growth any longer. savings rates are artificially low, credit conditions are tightening etc. etc.

this next phase in the US economy (late 3rd quarter of the hypothetical 4 quarter business cycle transitioning to 4th quarter) will be the indicator of whether or not we see those huge problems you spoke of.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree the indiciations will be revealed relatively soon. Precisely is still hard to say, but we're just around the corner from a lot of vital signs popping out.

Zygote 11-16-2007 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i worked for one of the top 3 funds in the world...killing any benchmark for decades.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mind providing some more details about this?

DcifrThs 11-16-2007 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i worked for one of the top 3 funds in the world...killing any benchmark for decades.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i started a thread in BFI where i answered a ton of questions. i'd rather not have it pasted all over here though especially given the fact that i haven't made any friends. so i definitely don't want anybody to know exactly where i worked.

if you would like to PM me specific questions, or ask general questions here i'd be glad to answer.

Barron

Ineedaride2 11-16-2007 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i started a thread in BFI where i answered a ton of questions. i'd rather not have it pasted all over here though especially given the fact that i haven't made any friends. so i definitely don't want anybody to know exactly where i worked.

if you would like to PM me specific questions, or ask general questions here i'd be glad to answer.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about divulging private information.

The worst thing this crowd is capable of is wallpapering your cubicle with RONPAUL2008 stickers.

DcifrThs 11-16-2007 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't worry about divulging private information.

The worst thing this crowd is capable of is wallpapering your cubicle with RONPAUL2008 stickers.

[/ QUOTE ]

they could do worse since finding contacts of my old bosses etc. is possible and i don't want to put them through anything so i think my desire for my old employer's identity to remain a secret is understandable.

i'll answer all general questions publiclly though.

Barron

NewTeaBag 11-17-2007 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is definitely a discussion we can have. arguably, for those that consume in US dollars, a weaker currency does little to alter their standard of living.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA H
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH H

Are you Bernake's staffwriter now?

Phil153 11-17-2007 03:52 AM

I have no idea what's going on but I just want to say I approve of this thread.

anatta 11-17-2007 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was considering the M3, but got the SC430. All the other yogis are jealous, but I tell 'em when you're Dharma Magazines 5 time Yogin of the Year (96-99, 03), you can get a red convertible Lexy, too. Then I peel out and say "Vipassana Biatches!".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm out of material, this was pretty good. Read it again.

AlexM 11-17-2007 05:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea what's going on but I just want to say I approve of this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1117/...8d3c815313.jpg

Bedreviter 11-17-2007 06:02 AM

http://www.mn12.org/images/misc/comi...hread-ever.jpg

AlexM 11-17-2007 06:06 AM

That's not a cat! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Bedreviter 11-17-2007 06:47 AM

http://www.motoko.it/images/morpheus/cat_thread.jpg

Bedreviter 11-17-2007 06:51 AM

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/me...read_sucks.jpg

DcifrThs 11-17-2007 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA H
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH H

Are you Bernake's staffwriter now?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. wanna make a logical statement to the contrary and we'll see where it goes?

Barron