Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   weird situation. is there any ethics consideration here? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=543592)

DanielDayLewis 11-13-2007 01:58 AM

Re: weird situation. is there any ethics consideration here?

The only thing I'm thinking about here is how to get the money in the middle.

"lets gambool" and shove seems like a decent action.

Chaostracize 11-13-2007 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
take his money. and his girlfriend. and his bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

what? no soul?

PrimogenitoX 11-13-2007 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Act like you are doing some math calculations, shake your head, mutter about how you can't fold, this is so sick, and shove .

[/ QUOTE ]

Explicit65 11-13-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd mirror what he did. Push, flash cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly what i was thinking but still tough. its easier to say id do this than actually do it.

scallop 11-13-2007 04:00 PM

Maybe he made a read on you AFTER he bet... so now he's trying to get out of it by reading you for a sucker that doesnt like money.

I would push, and flash just the 5. Give him a chance to make a fold.

mickeyzee 11-13-2007 05:15 PM

In my home games, some of my buddies make friendly comments like "just lay it down" when they know they have me beat. I probably push and pull one of those numbers. If he perceives you as a nice guy, he'll fold. If he thinks you're malicious, he'll call. He saved you money when you were beat, but he's not going to return the money you invested postflop, so you shouldn't feel the need to return it to him especially since he showed you the card after he reraised. You save the rest of my stack, I'll save the rest of yours!

jfish 11-13-2007 05:32 PM

this thread is really funny. i cant believe some of you are serious.

TheWorstPlayer 11-13-2007 07:16 PM

im as serious as cancer

Jw513 11-14-2007 12:39 AM

Its immoral to let a sucker keep his money.

TxRedMan 11-14-2007 12:51 AM

mike,

i havent read through the entire thread, but i think you'd agree with me that in this spot you dont extract any more value from the guy. he was trying to be nice- keep it that way. the thing about this spot that people aren't realizing is that this guy lets you off the hook no matter what your holding is, i.e., when you have bottom set or top two or AA or any two cards that you might think is best, this guy lets you off the hook. it just so happens that this time you had him crushed. taking advantage of the guys friendly not so competitive nature is bad karma, and imho will lose you more money over the long run and create an uncomfortable air between the two of you.

-Tex

spino1i 11-14-2007 01:07 AM

zero moral dillema at all. Go all-in and take his money. Showing his cards doesnt get him off the hook here.

riverboatking 11-14-2007 01:17 AM

i think you guys are missing a very important point:

ITS 3 HANDED!!!

either play for real or leave the game.

James282 11-14-2007 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you guys are missing a very important point:

ITS 3 HANDED!!!

either play for real or leave the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. i mean if i was the other guy and guys were showing eachother the nuts and 2nd nuts and [censored] and letting eachother pull back huge bets without seeing river cards i'd be pretty pissed and very likely to leave the game(esp if i was a fish).

James

Daliman 11-14-2007 02:36 AM

This is real easy. The only question, ethically or otherwise, is the best way to get his stack in the pot. Now, I;m not 100% sure how that is, but I'm thinking flat call, "checking to see if you have odds". He shouldn't be off the hook just because he tried to be "a nice guy". This is poker, not f'n tiddly winks. Soft play is a lack of respect, not only for your opponents, but for the game.

Bikini Wax 11-14-2007 05:09 AM

i shove... im an [censored]

luegofuego 11-14-2007 05:16 AM

i cant believe so many ppl advocate lettinh the dude off the hook.

SuperPokerJedi 11-14-2007 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lower the stakes about 10 times. a friend of mine did this. I shoved. He folded. I showed a bluff..

[/ QUOTE ]

Sickest line!

GambleAB 11-14-2007 09:19 AM

You are playing three handed. Why are you even in the game if you are considering showing the other player your hand? Besides, if the other guy has any clue whatsoever what is going on, he'd see you two softplaying each other and showing your hands, so he would probably pick up and find a game with less collusion going on.
Anyway, the "polite" thing to do is to shove (without showing your hand). If you are considering showing the guy your hand, you should prob pick up after you drag the pot, as the game prob isn't +EV for you and you'd prob feel more comfortable hanging out with your new friend.

Ansky 11-14-2007 09:24 AM

So what happened?

Yeti 11-14-2007 09:45 AM

scroll up

Ansky 11-14-2007 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
scroll up

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt see that... WOW what are u thinking mike.

Daliman 11-14-2007 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what happened?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what i did instead was offer him a deal. well, i asked him if he wanted to make a deal. when i asked him that, he realized he was in a pretty sick spot. he offered, "let's chop it." i said, "i can't do that, but i'll let you take back your 1500 raise if you fold and give me the pot."

i did NOT show him my cards as we were discussing this. i was planning not to show my cards even if he did accept my proposal. he thought for a long time, like 5 mins, and actually mucked. even as he folded, he said, "i still don't believe you have a better hand than me," then offered me a black chip ($100) to see. i took the black chip and showed him.

[/ QUOTE ]

jfish 11-14-2007 10:51 AM

lolol you are such a donkey.

mbyvp 11-14-2007 11:53 AM

surely anything other than call and shove tunr is crazy.
(other than call and bet small on turn and shove river)

epdaws 11-14-2007 01:37 PM

Mike,

I appreciate your thoughtfulness, but you went too far.

The following would be exactly enough, even in your generous frame of mind: Just reply, "Wow, you flopped the wheel? I'm sorry, that sucks. I have to shove it in here, cause it's still a competitive game." Then you let him decide.

irockhoess 11-14-2007 02:04 PM

There is a point in poker where you have to realize that even the nicest guy in the world sitting next to you is holding the money that you want. If you don't find yourself in this mentality for this particular game, then simply leave the game. I have been online and seen people i knew and didn't want to play because of that reason.

I am pretty friendly at the table, but how ridiculous would this look online? If someone was playing 3 handed, and two players were telling each other their cards in the chat, there would be about 18 threads about collusion.

tcorbin16 11-14-2007 02:34 PM

fwiw i think what you did mike was fine.

mikech 11-14-2007 03:29 PM

in retrospect, letting him take back the raise might've been overkill. the right thing to do would've been push and show. but i just reacted instinctively, and i decided to let him make the decision. if, after showing me his cards but without seeing mine, he still wanted to play the hand to completion, then we would've played the hand. however, i wanted to give him an out: if he could figure out for himself what was going on, then he gets his raise back.

keep in mind that i hadn't even acted on his raise yet, and i didn't show my hand. yet i asked him to forfeit the pot. not many ppl are gonna muck the 2nd nuts there, but he did. he was not only smart enough to figure out what was going on, but he apparently was also a good enough judge of character to realize i wasn't trying to shaft him. he declined to play out the hand, he forfeited a pot with over a thousand dollars in it and folded A5 on a 234r flop. kudos to him, i let him pull back his raise and shook his hand.

also, this wasn't about softplaying. i play hard against all the regulars in the bellagio game, and i'd never played with this particular guy before in my life. this was a unique, bizarre situation, one which i didn't want to take advantage of. you can all say i gave up ev or whatever, but who cares, poker's not just about money to me.

also, there's a twist ending to the story, but i won't bother going into detail here, since nothing's been nailed down yet, and i didn't do what i did for any reason other than the fact that i felt it was the proper thing to do. but suffice it to say that good deeds are NOT necessarily always punished.

GambleAB 11-14-2007 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also, this wasn't about softplaying. i play hard against all the regulars in the bellagio game, and i'd never played with this particular guy before in my life.

[/ QUOTE ]

So having someone show you one card from his hand when it gets HU, then show you the other one on the flop, then you telling him for all intents and purposes your hand and letting him take back a majority of the money he's already put into the pot isn't softplaying?
Instead of thinking about how nice you are being to the guy who is showing you his cards, why not think about how to be nice to the third guy at the table who is at the disadvantage of playing 1-on-2?

WiltOnTilt 11-14-2007 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, there's a twist ending to the story, but i won't bother going into detail here, since nothing's been nailed down yet, and i didn't do what i did for any reason other than the fact that i felt it was the proper thing to do. but suffice it to say that good deeds are NOT necessarily always punished.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, how you gonna tease us like that?

FWIW Mike I probably do the same as you, except perhaps push and show both cards.

nh

WoT

mikech 11-14-2007 03:38 PM

i've probably played 500-1000 hrs with the 3rd guy at the table. he knows i don't softplay, or collude, or anything else. he folded his hand preflop, ie, had no money in it. he can quit the game anytime he likes. i can win the pot then give swedish guy $4300 if i want to. anything else?

EC10 11-14-2007 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the man turned out to be a drunken patrik antonius and is now coaching mikech.

mikech 11-14-2007 03:40 PM

antonius is finnish, not swedish...

EC10 11-14-2007 03:41 PM

he was [censored] WASTED!

flawless_victory 11-14-2007 03:42 PM

i think what u did was admirable, i would prob show then push... not sure if i should be surprised by the responses in this thread

Yeti 11-14-2007 03:53 PM

you shouldn't give him his raise back, that is so dumb, he would lose that whether or not he showed his hand anyway.

i like lapoker's reply, and i would be annoyed that he had shown.

Taylor Caby 11-14-2007 03:56 PM

show the 5 and tell him "it's a chop, i'm all in."

tc

ps seriously, id probably call and then get all in on the turn. if i really liked the guy, then id shove all in here and let him figure it out.

mythrilfox 11-14-2007 05:51 PM

this reminds me of that hand posted a few months back where some guy showed AA preflop and the other guy pushed all-in anyway with KK saying "this is such a cooler."

just do what that guy did

Perestroika 11-15-2007 12:37 AM

Simple situation. He showed you his cards with no idea of your hand doing you a big favor. To try and win more money would be a disgusting angle-sot and revealing of your character. I would have done the same.

spivey 11-15-2007 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i've probably played 500-1000 hrs with the 3rd guy at the table. he knows i don't softplay, or collude, or anything else. he folded his hand preflop, ie, had no money in it. he can quit the game anytime he likes. i can win the pot then give swedish guy $4300 if i want to. anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what you should have done. Shipped the pot, and then made him grovel for his money back. The best friendships are ones that have masters and gimps.