Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   The Rivalry (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540768)

Number27 11-08-2007 03:22 PM

Re: The Rivalry

[ QUOTE ]
most osu fans would rather beat michigan than win a title. i know i would.

i would be surprised if any other rivalry elicited such a preference. and that is why this is the best rivalry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alabama fired Bill Curry after going 10-1 and winning the SEC championship because he lost to Auburn.

jgunnip 11-08-2007 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I root against scUM every game they play.

Semi-OT: I won a ticket to go to the Game this year, Hope I don't get killed in Ann Arbor!

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't Columbus, believe it or not its actually safe to walk around here at night.

Zimmer4141 11-08-2007 03:26 PM

I think that right now the national profile of Michigan and OSU makes it the best rivalry in college football. (and in my opinion the best in all of sports) Auburn-Alabama might hate each other more, but they aren't playing for the conference championship (and often shot at the national title) year in and year out. I feel that the fact that the Michigan-OSU game is more significant in the overall landscape of college football makes it more important right now.

damaniac 11-08-2007 03:33 PM

What does it mean to roll a tree? Is this a metaphor for something?

heater 11-08-2007 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Rolls" of toiler paper.

damaniac 11-08-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Rolls" of toiler paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok. TP-ing would be the term I am familiar with.

That raises some interesting issues that I mentioned before. Does it makes it a better rivalry if fans engage in that kind of behavior, or is it better if they follow the Mich-OSU example, where the Dead Schembechlers dedicated their concert to Bo and the fans were otherwise respectful? I don't mean to imply that all Auburn fans were waiting to piss on his grave or anything, or that all Mich-OSU people handled Bo (and Woody) dying with dignity and respect, but assume such behavior is the norm for each rivalry: is that a point in favor or against one or the other?

I tend to think respect is a point in favor: while we do care a great deal about these games, they are games and being batshit insane about them doesn't strike me as something that ought to be rewarded.

Victor 11-08-2007 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alabama/Auburn definitely has a higher level of hatred across the fan base than any other rivalry. I'm not sure if it's true; but I have been told that Toomer's Corner (a tree Auburn fans roll when they win a game) was rolled when Bear Bryant died. These people don't just want to beat each other. They want the other school to blow up and the fans to die in a grease fire. It's on a whole other level.

[/ QUOTE ]

so u think that rivalry is better bc ppl actually want the other guy to die and rejoice when it happens. typical classy southerners.

Number27 11-08-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alabama/Auburn definitely has a higher level of hatred across the fan base than any other rivalry. I'm not sure if it's true; but I have been told that Toomer's Corner (a tree Auburn fans roll when they win a game) was rolled when Bear Bryant died. These people don't just want to beat each other. They want the other school to blow up and the fans to die in a grease fire. It's on a whole other level.

[/ QUOTE ]

so u think that rivalry is better bc ppl actually want the other guy to die and rejoice when it happens. typical classy southerners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical classy southerners? Wow. Don't hurt yourself getting off that soap box.

Riverman 11-08-2007 03:59 PM

1. The moment of silence for Bo last year was a touching moment.

2. The bands are awesome and a huge part of my enjoyment of seeing the game live.

3. I think you have to live in one of the cities to really get it.

Riverman 11-08-2007 04:00 PM

Re: The South

You are good at producing hot sloots. Your weather is generally good. Other than that you are an embarrassment to the United States.

Terrabon98 11-08-2007 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are good at producing hot sloots. Your weather is generally good. Other than that you are an embarrassment to the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

way to make me burst out laughing in my cube.

MCS 11-08-2007 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to think respect is a point in favor: while we do care a great deal about these games, they are games and being batshit insane about them doesn't strike me as something that ought to be rewarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this completely. Same goes for physically assaulting other teams' fans.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the UNC-dook rivalry.

damaniac 11-08-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love to hate on the South too but c'mon people.

Although perhaps North/South is the greatest rivalry of them all? Nice to be on the winning side of that one, at least.

Number27 11-08-2007 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are good at producing hot sloots. Your weather is generally good.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're also pretty good at college football. 41-14.

TomCollins 11-08-2007 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Rolls" of toiler paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok. TP-ing would be the term I am familiar with.

That raises some interesting issues that I mentioned before. Does it makes it a better rivalry if fans engage in that kind of behavior, or is it better if they follow the Mich-OSU example, where the Dead Schembechlers dedicated their concert to Bo and the fans were otherwise respectful? I don't mean to imply that all Auburn fans were waiting to piss on his grave or anything, or that all Mich-OSU people handled Bo (and Woody) dying with dignity and respect, but assume such behavior is the norm for each rivalry: is that a point in favor or against one or the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the reason why there wasn't much animosity to Bo was the fact that he came from Ohio State under Woody. Besides that, there is a lot of hatred for Michigan.

I've also noticed that most of the ignorant stupid fans are the ones who never went to college and just root for the teams anyway. At least, it seems that way at Ohio State. Same at UM? I'm going to talk a lot of sh*t to a Michigan fan, but I'm not going to throw a full can of beer at his head.

TomCollins 11-08-2007 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have fun at the Gator bowl this year.

aditya 11-08-2007 04:18 PM

Who thinks that OSU and Michigan have it much easier b/c they're in the Big Ten? (I'm talking about now, don't bring history into this.) If they were in the SEC or Pac-10, they'd get annihilated and their rivalry would basically be that of Vandy vs Ole Miss. There, I said it.

Number27 11-08-2007 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have fun getting embarrassed by another one loss SEC team in the national championship.

TomCollins 11-08-2007 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who thinks that OSU and Michigan have it much easier b/c they're in the Big Ten? (I'm talking about now, don't bring history into this.) If they were in the SEC or Pac-10, they'd get annihilated and their rivalry would basically be that of Vandy vs Ole Miss. There, I said it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I mean they would stand a better chance in the NFL than the SEC. Good thing the Patriots don't have to play Mississippi State this year.

TomCollins 11-08-2007 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have fun getting embarrassed by another one loss SEC team in the national championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL last year it was Urban Meyer. Les Miles is the most beatable coach in the history of college football.

NozeCandy 11-08-2007 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever, without the North half the players on Florida's team wouldn't have been allowed to play. Oh yeah, history baby. Seriously, how long are you going to live off of one game? I mean we've talked about the Civil War for a long time, but come on...

And the bands are an interesting point I forgot about. Both OSU/Mich bands are huge, real loud, and very good. I think Herbstreit did some rankings earlier in the year and they were 1 and 2, but that's hardly unbiased.

Riverman 11-08-2007 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

most overplayed, retarded argument ever.

big 10 is essentially .500 against the SEC in recent years, including 2-1 in bowl games last year (where your "depth" is supposed to shine).

TomCollins 11-08-2007 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever, without the North half the players on Florida's team wouldn't have been allowed to play. Oh yeah, history baby. Seriously, how long are you going to live off of one game? I mean we've talked about the Civil War for a long time, but come on...

And the bands are an interesting point I forgot about. Both OSU/Mich bands are huge, real loud, and very good. I think Herbstreit did some rankings earlier in the year and they were 1 and 2, but that's hardly unbiased.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michigan's band was one of the best I've seen. Especially after seeing the jokes of bands Texas and U of Miami put up.

Riverman 11-08-2007 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever, without the North 95 % of the players on Florida's team wouldn't have been allowed to play. Oh yeah, history baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

damaniac 11-08-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

big 10 is essentially .500 against the SEC in recent years, including 2-1 in bowl games last year (where your "depth" is supposed to shine).

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously bowl games are limited metric to use when rating conferences, but I get really annoyed at people who cite it in limited ways to favor their side. OMG your guyz beat our guyz in 1 game!!! Or looking at overall bowl record without considering the match-ups (such as when Conferences A's #3 is playing Con B's #2). Etc.

That reminds me of another reason to hate OSU: they, along with Indiana, really drag down the B10's record vs. the SEC. Thankfully Michigan has largely owned them over our history, although I'm not sure how balanced it's been (ie, playing Vandy OOC).

aditya 11-08-2007 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, if its OSU and Michigan vs the top teams of SEC and Pac-10, I'd think that the latter would win >60% of the matches imo. I mean Michigan is basically crap anyways and I would take Florida vs them any day of the week and twice on Sundays. OSU might put up a challenge but who knows based on the schedule they've played. This is all assuming an even playing field ofcourse.

BTW, I was specifically talking about OSU and Michigan so if you look at their records alone their 0-2. And correct me if I'm wrong but Penn State won against Tenn I believe, so 1-2. I don't remember the other Big 10 teams that played and frankly it doesn't even matter.

heater 11-08-2007 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I was specifically talking about OSU and Michigan so if you look at their records alone their 0-2. And correct me if I'm wrong but Penn State won against Tenn I believe, so 1-2. I don't remember the other Big 10 teams that played and frankly it doesn't even matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wisconsin beat Arkansas.

damaniac 11-08-2007 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be Wisconsin beating SEC West champ Arkansas. Are you talking about last year, this year, or in general? It'd be nice if you were coherent or made any kind of sense whatsoever so I could further evaluate your arguments, but sadly those elements are absent.

If you're talking about this year, the SEC is better. If we're going all-time (or over x years) I'd bet the SEC has an edge too in overall strength. I don't know that Michigan would be a dog though...they've done very very well against the SEC.

TomCollins 11-08-2007 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't remember the other Big 10 teams that played and frankly it doesn't even matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, don't let facts or anything get in your way. Anyway, can you quit hijacking this thread and take it to the SEC fanboi spank-a-thon thread?

Terrabon98 11-08-2007 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, if its OSU and Michigan vs the top teams of SEC and Pac-10, I'd think that the latter would win >60% of the matches imo. I mean Michigan is basically crap anyways and I would take Florida vs them any day of the week and twice on Sundays. OSU might put up a challenge but who knows based on the schedule they've played. This is all assuming an even playing field ofcourse.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you logically say that OSU/UM would be with the likes of Vandy/Ole Miss in the SEC, when last year, teams that UM/OSU thumped during the regular season, beat #2 and #3 SEC teams? You understnd why that makes no sense, at least i hope...

Not to say the SEC isn't good this year, but please everyone just stfu about how they are the only good college footall teams year-in, year-out...I am fairly certain OSU/UM would rise to the top of any major conference pretty quickly if they moved (as would teams like USC, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.)

Seriously, you basing everything off of watching one episode of College Gameday this year or something?

Hollywade 11-08-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go Blue!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the greatest rivalry in sports, and I second your Mike Hart mancrush.

aditya 11-08-2007 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about last year, this year, or in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was actually talking about in general, but someone brought up the points about last years bowl games and he stated the record was 2-1, which was obviously wrong. OK, 2-2, but the thing is the 2 losses came in the biggest games of the season with the biggest teams of the Big ten playing vs the biggest teams of the other conferences.

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, don't let facts or anything get in your way. Anyway, can you quit hijacking this thread and take it to the SEC fanboi spank-a-thon thread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, my argument was based solely upon Michigan and Ohio State, and none of the other Big Ten teams, and hence my statement, "frankly it doesn't even matter." I'm not really an SEC "fanboi", but just a college football fan in general and noting my opinions.

Zimmer4141 11-08-2007 04:55 PM

Here is my issue with the Big 10/SEC comparison.

Take the games Michigan and OSU played against Michigan State. They are 1-5 in conference and 5-5 overall, with all 5 losses by 7 points or less. They played both Michigan and OSU close, but in the end, the better team prevailed.

If these were SEC teams, Michigan and OSU valiantly played against a tough team that has been beaten up by a tough conference and pulled out a gutty win.

But because they are Big 10 teams, Michigan and OSU aren't very good and were lucky to escape against a mediocre team. I think the real answer is somewhere in between, but you can't tell me that games that close wins like Florida over Kentucky or Ole Miss even are more impressive than wins that OSU and Michigan have over a team like MSU.

heater 11-08-2007 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about last year, this year, or in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I was actually talking about in general, but someone brought up the points about last years bowl games and he stated the record was 2-1, which was obviously wrong.
[ QUOTE ]

No it wasn't. He was saying that the Big Ten was 2-1 vs. SEC in bowl games, which is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, my argument was based solely upon Michigan and Ohio State, and none of the other Big Ten teams, and hence my statement, "frankly it doesn't even matter." I'm not really an SEC "fanboi", but just a college football fan in general and noting my opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michigan is 6-3 in their last nine bowl games vs. SEC teams.

OSU has lost nine bowls in a row vs, the SEC, however. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Number27 11-08-2007 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're talking about this year, the SEC is better. If we're going all-time (or over x years) I'd bet the SEC has an edge too in overall strength. I don't know that Michigan would be a dog though...they've done very very well against the SEC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually all-time the Big10 has a winning record against the SEC by a margin of 94-87-7. Michigan is 19-5 against the SEC including 10-0 against Vanderbilt.

It's kind of skewed because the two SEC schools playing the most Big10/SEC games are Vanderbilt (7-17) and Kentucky (24-31).

aditya 11-08-2007 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How can you logically say that OSU/UM would be with the likes of Vandy/Ole Miss in the SEC

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was doing a thing called exaggerating. Apparently it flew over your head.

[ QUOTE ]
I am fairly certain OSU/UM would rise to the top of any major conference pretty quickly if they moved (as would teams like USC, Oklahoma, Texas, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofcourse they would. They all have so much history to go off of that it'd be virtually impossible to keep them in the middle ranks for long. With that much history, recruiting would basically be fairly easy and I would expect them to be doing good in every conference or w/e.

I'm only saying that people saying this is the greatest rivalry in college football BECAUSE they're always the top 2 teams in the Big Ten and thus are always ranked really high and thus have NC implications every year have flawed thinking (pretty sure that was a run-on.) All I'm saying was that if they were in a maybe tougher conference, they'd be "exposed" and thus wouldn't be in the NC running every single year. Hope that makes sense.

capone0 11-08-2007 05:00 PM

#1 SEC vs #1 Big 10
#2 Big 10 vs #1 Pac-10?

Riverman 11-08-2007 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1 SEC vs #1 Big 10
#2 Big 10 vs #1 Pac-10?

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point. Also, bowls are played in warm weather. We'll never know how the SEC would do in the 'Shoe or the Big House in November.

capone0 11-08-2007 05:06 PM

Also USC basically played at home in LA. Pac-10 has been pretty dominant in the Rose Bowl as far as I can remember. Maybe I'm getting my facts wrong.

Number27 11-08-2007 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is my issue with the Big 10/SEC comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason SEC matchups like UGA/Florida get more respect than OSU/Mich St. is that Ohio State and Michigan are the only two teams in the Big 10 that ever consistently challenge for a national championship.

In the past 30 years the SEC has had Alabama (3), LSU(1), Tennessee(1), Florida(2), and Georgia(1) all win the national championship and Auburn went undefeated twice (once in 1993 on probation, the other in 2004 when they got shafted by the BCS selection committee.).

In the same time span Michigan and Ohio St. are the only Big 10 teams to win it all. (Penn State did win two before they joined.)

Is it fair? Maybe not; but that's the reason why our conference games are hyped more.