Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   Ask a frenchman (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540005)

Chillee 11-08-2007 07:18 PM

Re: Ask a frenchman

[ QUOTE ]

I'm planning to study abroad in France next fall. I could probably get into most schools, maybe not the very top. Do you have any recommendations? I have taken most of my classes in my major in the US, I just have to take a couple humanities/general classes while I'm in France so a liberal arts school would be good. Do you have any idea of a school I would enjoy?

[/ QUOTE ] Don't know yet. I will ask my best friend who did an art school.

[ QUOTE ]

A place with good weather, social/nightlife, and good looking girls would be perfect, doesn't necessarily have to be in Paris.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weather is nasty in Paris for your information.
Two cities come to my mind for the weather and the number of students (which mean girls and parties) are Montpelier and Toulouse.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, do you think I will have trouble interacting with the other students? I have taken 5 years of French and am pretty confident in the grammar and vocab but my speaking skills and understanding rapid speech is a work in progress. Do you think I will pick these up quickly, and will I be able to interact? I'm a pretty outgoing guy, basically wondering if I'll be able to make friends with some French girls or if language will be an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have the basics you should learn fast with the practice.
[ QUOTE ]

Do many people smoke weed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Hawklet 11-08-2007 07:33 PM

What was the hardest concept to understand while learning the English language?

(Manquer = to miss messed with a lot of English>French speakers. I'd imagine it would be just as difficult going the other way.)

mmbt0ne 11-08-2007 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Est-ce que c'est vrai que les femmes francaise aiment beaucoup des hommes americains qui parlent mal francais? Nous sommes exotiques et differents, non?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you wanna go to France and chase tail? I am totally down and not joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean, I have been meaning to get out of the country.

Let me get some money together and we can look at this May/June period that is apparently ideal.

hanimal 11-08-2007 09:08 PM

I've been living in Paris since September and I can say that yes, generally people are more fashionable here.
I don't see anyone "dressing down" ever really. No sweat pants or anything like that, people for the most part dress well every day. That has actually made me try to dress better. I was the average clueless American guy before but Paris has instilled a little fashion sense into me. Not that there aren't fashionable places in the US obv., but living here has given me some first hand knowledge that I wasn't taught before.

French girls are cute as hell, especially when they speak English in their French accent.

Tartiflette is the absolute [censored]! I've only had it here when I arrived the last week in August to go to Rock En Seine music festival. They had vendors that served it. I haven't had it or seen it since. Maybe this is a dumb question, I know it's a regional cuisine; are there any places in Paris that have it or am I just blind?

Shoe 11-08-2007 09:23 PM

Is France serious about attacking Iran?

Sardine 11-08-2007 09:40 PM

What is the general thought on people from England? Stereotypes, jokes, rivalry etc. (not neccessarily your opinion, people in general)

Do you like cheese? Before your meal, after your meal, both and if so what is your favourite.

Merci.

Chillee 11-08-2007 09:41 PM

To search restaurant in Paris
http://www.fra.cityvox.fr/restaurants_paris/Restaurants

sebbb 11-08-2007 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you like cheese? Before your meal, after your meal, both and if so what is your favourite.

Merci.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Before the meal, after the meal, and in between meals.

My favorite ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reblochon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_%28cheese%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomme_de_Savoie_cheese

Never found Beaufort in the USA though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

hanimal 11-08-2007 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the general thought on people from England? Stereotypes, jokes, rivalry etc. (not neccessarily your opinion, people in general)

Merci.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing, someone asked my French professor which version of French did the French find more attractive, British or American, and she said that in general American and that people think that the British are snobs and speak French in that snobbish tone. She's obviously just talking about a general stereotype and has nothing against British people.

jen 11-09-2007 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, do the French disdain or admire the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both, depending on the mattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, but I'm talking about the general impression. For example, in Germany, I got the feeling that the Germans like to criticize/ridicule America(ns), but, in actuality, had some unspoken admiration for the US. Similar for the French or no?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I have found French restaurants to be hit or miss. But when good, a restaurant can have amazing food. How can a foreigner determine which restaurants are good in Paris? (American travel books are pretty bad at this.)

[/ QUOTE ]

The best way would be to look on Internet forums speaking about travel and food or even here (i remember i suggested a restaurant to a member here and he seemed to liked it).

[/ QUOTE ]

But if a foreigner is sight-seeing in Paris and is just looking for a good place to grab dinner, is there some way to tell whether a restaurant is authentic and good? I was told to avoid restaurants with translated menus, but that doesn't seem to sufficiently narrow the field.

manub 11-09-2007 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) What region is best for cuisine in you opionion?
We found Lyon to be fantastic

[/ QUOTE ]

Lyon is the world capital of gastronomy. Paris has the best gourmet restuarants, though. You can also find a lot of high class restaurants in the countryside. Don't worry too much about food though, there are amazing places everywhere.

[ QUOTE ]
2) Do you feel americans are treated better/worse in certain regions? I felt we were welcomed with open arms in the country side of the Beaujolais region but when we travelled to Marseille(sp?) i really felt looked down on. Actually felt really uncomfortable and treated poorly everywhere we went in that city.

[/ QUOTE ]

People in southern France are generally more welcoming, especially in the countryside. I don't know about Marseille (french spelling without an s, english spelling with an s), I've never really been there for a long time. Generally you still should feel welcome in smaller proinvial areas than in big cities, who are used to tourists, consider them an annoyance and don't feel like they have to treat them well.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Whats your favorite French meal?

[/ QUOTE ]

My favourite popular meal : Raclette FTW! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
4) Favorite wine and any recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a pretty bad frenchman: I don't drink wine! And I know nothing aobut it.

[ QUOTE ]
What was the hardest concept to understand while learning the English language?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think there are very hard concepts in english, at least not in the english I speak and write. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I've had problems using "this" and "that" correctly, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Is France serious about attacking Iran?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. The population will never support an open war and will probably protest if France supports the US in that attack.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a big rilvarly in sports, especially soccer and rugby, but besides that I think the relationships are cordial.

French clichés about english people?
- the men are often gay
- they are a little snobbish and easily shocked
- they are stoic and fair play
- british girls = occasionally beautiful but usually not pretty
- they must be crazy driving on the left side of the road
- they burnt Jeanne d'Arc. Bastards !!!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually only eat cheese during the meals when some sort of cheese is part of the recipe. I'm an exception though.

[ QUOTE ]
But if a foreigner is sight-seeing in Paris and is just looking for a good place to grab dinner, is there some way to tell whether a restaurant is authentic and good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Stars on the Michelin Guide are usually a good sign. OTehrwise it's pretty much like anywhere in the world: you're never really sure unless you try.

StevieG 11-09-2007 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The best way would be to look on Internet forums speaking about travel and food or even here (i remember i suggested a restaurant to a member here and he seemed to liked it).

[/ QUOTE ]

That was me. Asked in this thread Paris Dining questions and trip report in this thread Paris Trip Report - mostly dining, some pictures.

I'll take the chance to say thanks again for the suggestion to eat at L'Aubrac, and your excellent sticky Where to play poker in France ? in the francophone forum.

Shilly 11-09-2007 12:13 PM

Do you think that the university a person attends has a great affect on how successful that person will be?

What is your opinion of the Grandes Écoles and the students that attend them? Any comments about HEC or ESCP-EAP (although I know you didn't study business)?

What do people think of your profession? Are your friends and family worried about your financial security or stability? I know that many professional poker players face these criticisms in the U.S., and I'd assume it's even worse in France where there is a bigger emphasis on financial security.

Shilly 11-09-2007 12:16 PM

One more thing--where do you like to shop? I'm looking for simple clothing that isn't terribly expensive (and yes, I want to be invisible like the other Parisian men).

Chillee 11-09-2007 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One more thing--where do you like to shop? I'm looking for simple clothing that isn't terribly expensive (and yes, I want to be invisible like the other Parisian men).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know the brand Celio? All the invisible parisians wears it.

manub 11-09-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that the university a person attends has a great affect on how successful that person will be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, kind of. France has a system of "Grandes Ecoles" (Great Schools), which trains most of the nation's elite. Some schools are: Ecole Polytechnique (engineers), ENA (administration, public service), Science Po (political science), HEC (France's top business school). IF you graduate from one of these schools you are likely to have a successful career in most branches. If not, it's not impossible but you'll have to fight your way up a little harder.

[ QUOTE ]
What is your opinion of the Grandes Écoles and the students that attend them? Any comments about HEC or ESCP-EAP (although I know you didn't study business)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not attend one of those schools but I've met a few students from Polytechnique and HEC. It's hard to argue that these guys are indeed really brilliant. Brilliance sometimes leads to arrogance and being an [censored], of course.

I think the schools are slightly overrated. They don't teach you to be brilliant, they only select the most brilliant students, have them learn some advanced stuff, then kickstart their careers with great internships.

[ QUOTE ]
What do people think of your profession? Are your friends and family worried about your financial security or stability? I know that many professional poker players face these criticisms in the U.S., and I'd assume it's even worse in France where there is a bigger emphasis on financial security.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost all of my friends are into gaming so they thought it was really cool.
My family was skeptical at first but since I've been successful they don't bother me too much with it. However I come from a pretty liberal family. It's probably not that easy for players with more conservative backgrounds.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stores like C&A, Zara (for Men) and Celio should get you what you need.

EDIT: a question for you Shilly, what are you doing in Paris?

Shilly 11-09-2007 04:37 PM

I'm doing a semester abroad, and I'm studying at ESCP-EAP (hence the interest). Paris is an awesome city, and I'm having a wonderful time so far.

I think that most of the things you've been talking about are true, at least in my experience.

Regarding the school: I can only speak for ESCP, but I'd agree that it's probably overrated. It's far less work than even the most basic classes back in the U.S.--but I'm not complaining. And of course, there's plenty of [censored] around campus, but I've found most of the French students to be pretty friendly.

manub 11-09-2007 07:09 PM

ESCP is a pretty good school. If you need any more info on Paris, especially Poker but also other stuff like help with the language, contact me via private message and I'll give you my MSN.

Hope you enjoy France [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ThaSaltCracka 11-10-2007 12:46 AM

Are American sports popular in France?

How do people in France feel about having the best footballers in the world?

If I visited France, how would people treat me if I knew zero French?

manub 11-10-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are American sports popular in France?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basketball is very popular. Baseball, US Football & Hockey are very small here.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Extremely proud, because we did not have a very successful history in football before the 98 win (not to say we sucked but we were never world champions and only once european champions). Zidane is the #1 celebrity in terms of popularity, and he doesn't even play anymore!

[ QUOTE ]
If I visited France, how would people treat me if I knew zero French?

[/ QUOTE ]

They'd manage to communicate with you but it would be a little uncomfortable/awkward/tense sometimes, depending on context and the people you meet/hang out with. I suggest learning a little bit, at least the basics one-word sentences like "bonjour" for "hello", "merci" for "thanks", etc... It's small stuff like that shows your interest in the language.

Bedreviter 11-10-2007 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Americans dont watch French Tv-shows where stupid people are exposed

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, you don't want to see those. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im European (Or Norwegian, what we like to call "a better(advanced) European", but still European)

so I know what you deal with [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Bedreviter 11-10-2007 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, welcome to 7-8 years ago? France no longer have the best footballers nor the best team, in Europe.

WhoIam 11-10-2007 05:47 AM

Thoughts/opinions on French Indochina (Indochine)?

That Foreign Guy 11-10-2007 10:23 AM

Q - I keep hearing rumours Arsene Wenger wants to go into politics eventually. Is this some sort of bizare Gooner fantasy, or could he be a French equivalent of Arnie? Is Wenger even well known in France?

manub 11-10-2007 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts/opinions on French Indochina (Indochine)?

[/ QUOTE ]

None really... Former colony that we lost along with most of the others in the 50s-60s. Nothing to get all worked up about, especially for my generation.

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever happened with that thing I remember reading about a year or two ago with all of the black people flipping out for being discriminated etc. Same old same old or are you guys going to let them sit in the front of the bus now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you're talking about one of the multiple "sans papiers" (illegal immigrants) hunger strikes or protest that we had and keep having. It's not over and it's going to get worse, methinks.

[ QUOTE ]
Q - I keep hearing rumours Arsene Wenger wants to go into politics eventually. Is this some sort of bizare Gooner fantasy, or could he be a French equivalent of Arnie? Is Wenger even well known in France?

[/ QUOTE ]

We already have a few sports personalities with political responsiblities. Jean-Claude Killy (former ski olympic gold medallist) and Bernard Laporte (manager of the national rugby team) are two examples. Wenger is well known for his coaching successes abroad and also for his consultant role on french TV for big soccer games. He has litlte charisma though, I can't see him get elected, maybe get nominated.

darkcore 11-10-2007 11:49 PM

how do french view the "erbfeind" (the germans) nowadays.

why don't french people (in general) speak other languages, -especially english? when i last visited france i had to use my hands and feets to make you people understand. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

hanimal 11-10-2007 11:56 PM

I'm American and live in Paris right now and find that most people, especially younger people, all speak at least some English, usually pretty good English. Haven't found non-english speaking a big problem here.

How many people can speak good French in the US?

manub 11-11-2007 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how do french view the "erbfeind" (the germans) nowadays.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's still a vague sense of rivalry/conflict when we think about germans, but no real hostility. I think our people are going to be friends for a while.

[ QUOTE ]
why don't french people (in general) speak other languages, -especially english?

[/ QUOTE ]

Public schools don't start teaching foreign languages until the student is 9 or 10. In many countries the learning process for another language in public schools starts much earlier, at like 5-6 years old. Also, French is still a widely used language and everything is usually translated into French. People don't really need to learn any english unless they want to get out of the country.

It's changing fast though, with globalization and the Internet french people get in contact with English a lot more often.

FUJItheFISH 11-12-2007 05:04 AM

hi manub/any other eurotravel experts:

my friend went to paris for a year because of work.
i plan on visiting him within the next four months and would like to plan a two-week long trip.
i would like to visit other countries in europe and see cool touristy things.
i will arrange for my own plane ticket.

i would like to know:
what are some great places to visit in france?
if you have traveled europe, what are some great places to visit outside of france?
are there any big tours that start in paris that go all throughout europe (spain, italy, germany)?
are there any tours that take you to the alps for a couple days?
where can i go to sign-up for these and how much do they cost?
should i go in december/january/february/march?
will i be treated poorly if i wear sweaters and sweatpants?

thanks!
fuji

Shilly 11-12-2007 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

are there any big tours that start in paris that go all throughout europe (spain, italy, germany)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't recommend doing an organized tour. You'll want to be flexible with your plans.

Two weeks isn't a lot of time, especially if you plan on spending a large chunk of your time in Paris (which you should definitely consider).

A Eurail Pass sounds ideal for you if you plan on doing 5+ days of travel outside of Paris. I think that spending a week or so in Paris, followed by maybe two or three other cities in other countries might work well. If you could possibly extend your stay to three weeks, you'd have a much better shot at seeing Germany, Italy, the south of France, and possibly Spain.

[ QUOTE ]

will i be treated poorly if i wear sweaters and sweatpants?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you'll be treated poorly, but you'll instantly be marked as a tourist, and it's very possible that you'll feel out of place. If you're comfortable with that, then go for it.

FUJItheFISH 11-12-2007 06:07 AM

shilly

is it pretty easy/safe to figure out train routes and also finding places to stay, eat, see?

thanks.
fuji

doublehawk 11-12-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is PERFECT. I posted in french BBV but no one respnded. There is a saying in french that goes something along the lines of "You can only lean on things which provide resistance" or something to that effect. What is the exact saying in the french language for the quote?

[/ QUOTE ]

Newton's Third Law of Motion...?

Also, how well known or mainstream (if at all) is the group Java over there? Mainstream enough to have their releases on vinyl? It's proving tricky to track down from Oz.

Shilly 11-12-2007 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shilly

is it pretty easy/safe to figure out train routes and also finding places to stay, eat, see?

thanks.
fuji

[/ QUOTE ]

Train schedules are very easy to find online, and will be included with your pass if you decide to buy one.

Keep in mind that you need to make a reservation on most trains that run between major hubs--this usually requires a small supplement (around 10 Euros), and should be done one or two days in advance. While trains might not be the cheapest way to travel (booking flights far in advance can be incredibly inexpensive), you get the flexibility of changing your plans, seeing the countryside, and the benefit of traveling directly into the city center (whereas most flights arrive pretty far outside of each city).

If you're planning on going with hostels, you shouldn't have trouble booking those a few days in advance, or simply showing up and checking for availability. I use hostelbookers.com, but hostelworld.com is good also. There's lots of options here.

As far as places to eat and things to see, I'd recommend picking up some sort of travel guide for the region that you'll be traveling to. I highly recommend the "Let's Go" series, as it's geared toward younger people/students. I know that there's a Western Europe edition out there. You can also ask your friends, or people you run into during your travels--they tend to give great advice and lead you to places you wouldn't have found on your own.

dogsballs 11-12-2007 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
except for not being the slightest bit courtiest about blowing smoke in your direction, i find the french very nice people. especially the country folk. but in the u.s. the city dewllers are not as friendly here as well.

how do the french and other europeans manage to keep their public transportation running right on time. when the u.s. cant even get it close.

[/ QUOTE ]

practice. It gets used a lot.

dogsballs 11-12-2007 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are right about country people being nicer and more welcoming than city people. This is particularly true when you compare parisians with non-parisians.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're obviously non-parisian [edit dogsballs = -1 on this now I read further down]. I've always found parisians to be pretty cool & friendly people (except occasionally in the central/tourist parts).

btw, I remember playing vs you in a couple PStars tournaments and remember you were one of the chatty ones.

dogsballs 11-12-2007 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
France is a beautifull country.I have been at st.tropez and surrounding citys. I loved my time there and wished I could stay. Where would you suggest to get a own place which isnt that expensive but has great view nearby(sea).

[/ QUOTE ]

My mother owns a small place in a tiny village in the Pyrenees (Ariege). Was cheap and is in a beautiful mountainous area. nothing like St trtopez tho, but anywhere close to the med will be moreso (and more exp)

dogsballs 11-12-2007 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like I'll be taking an unexpected trip to France between Christmas and New Years. I spent about two weeks in France many moons ago. I didn't and don't speak much French. I was accompanied by someone who spoke French but at times not knowing French that well was a problem. Not sure what it's like today. I'll be flying into Paris and I'll do some sight seeing. Then to visit someone in the French countryside. Any tips, info about picking up enough French to get by greatly appreciated. Any other info greatly appreciated for a USA resident that hasn't been there in a very, very long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go pick up one of those small pocket French-English translation dictionaries and carry it around with you from now on. Look up a few common words you might use every day til you go...you know "price", "ticket", etc etc, if you can stumble a clunky sentence and have enuf vocabulary to get the message across, people are impressed that you're at least trying the lingo instead of relying on them being able to speak english that they'll usually be more helpful & friendly toward you. imo

manub 11-12-2007 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're obviously non-parisian

[/ QUOTE ]

You're obviously not french. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am not parisian, but I've been living in Paris for four years. It's really obvious for us french people: there's a gap between the "province" (outside Paris) and Paris itself. It's not a myth: parisians are responsible for most of the clichés about the french: arrogance, snobbiness, and so forth. Personally I don't find them unfriendly, it's just that they have a different, more aggressive sense of humor that can cause misunderstandings.

[ QUOTE ]
btw, I remember playing vs you in a couple PStars tournaments and remember you were one of the chatty ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah tournament poker is so boring sometimes, even with 7/8 tables going on I like to chat about random stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
hi manub/any other eurotravel experts:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Fuji, if I were you i'd plan my trip around the visiting of two big european cities, spend 5-6 days in each. Paris of course, then either Barcelona, Amsterdam, London, Roma or Venice, Prague, Vienna, Berlin, Copenhagen... They are all unique and great in their own way. Try to spend at least one week in each city to get the most of it.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, how well known or mainstream (if at all) is the group Java over there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never heard of this band. I guess it's not mainstream at all.

dcb777 11-12-2007 04:35 PM

Do you hate yourself because you were born French?

DanielDayLewis 11-12-2007 04:53 PM

apprieciate you doing this.

my experience with the french:

Went to Paris alone and met my french friend there and went out with her for 4 days or so (she studied abroad at my university) All her friends were really cool and she was really cool. People that we met on the street in Paris were really cool. Most people I met while hanging out with her were really cool.

90% of the French people I've met while traveling besides that have come off as rude and arrogant. Am i missing some kinda secret?

two of my favorite musicians/bands right now are a French band called Kaolin (though I wish I could understand the lyrics) and Yann Tierson. Can you recommend any other similar music?