Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   High Stakes Poker thread (11/5 - 500k buyin - Spoilers expected) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=539138)

Berky 11-06-2007 02:15 AM

Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/5 - 500k buyin - Spoilers expected)

Antonio calling out cards is so sick scary.
Patrik is a nit obv (jokes), I hope he stacks gold next ep.
<3 Degenyamine

jjshabado 11-06-2007 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, he did read jamie correct for having a big hand, but to rule out the possibility that Jamie would play a set or two-pair, or whatever-strength hand he happens to have in this way, is wrong. I might be missing something, but why should their stack-sizes totally change the value of the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

First look at two absurd cases where they have the same amount of money. The pot is some constant $40 000.

If they have $10 000 its an easy call for Doyle because Gold will move in with many hands, plus the pot means he only has to be right 1 time in 4 to make the call correct.

If they have $1 000 000 000 then Doyle probably wants to fold because the size of the pot is irrelevant. He basically needs to be better then Gold half the time.

So, the larger the stack sizes the more often you have to be right in making the call.

People keep saying how Gold bluffs a lot, blah blah, but don't forget he's not a complete retard. He knows how to play poker. If his money gets all in in this hand, there's a good chance he's got the best hand. In all honesty if Doyle had moved all in over the top of him I don't think Gold would have called. He definitely wouldn't call with smaller flushes(Edit: ie. 7 high flush or lower). This is precisely why Doyle couldn't really move all in, because he's only getting called by hands that crush him.

On the river Gold is actually liable to play it pretty well with a decent mix of bluffs and value bets with a good hand. If Doyle calls the turn he's put himself in a tough spot on the river when Gold bets it. If Gold checks the river Doyle can't really extract value because if he bets the river Gold is probably only calling with hands that beat Doyle and folding the rest. In fact given Doyle's hand (10 8) there's really only one flush (9 high) that he's ahead of and that might pay him off.

sightless 11-06-2007 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Gold would have called.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no way gold folds the flush there

jjshabado 11-06-2007 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Gold would have called.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no way gold folds the flush there

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its debatable but you're probably right. I think he folds lower flushes though and the fact that he was acting strong makes the smaller flushes less likely.

Hollywade 11-06-2007 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Those approving the fold seem to be arguing that his fold has more merit because of how deep they are playing...but against jamie gold, who's spew-happy and probably not going to radically adjust his game because of its depth, it's seems kind of mandatory to call two more bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absolutely correct.

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, he did read jamie correct for having a big hand, but to rule out the possibility that Jamie would play a set or two-pair, or whatever-strength hand he happens to have in this way, is wrong. I might be missing something, but why should their stack-sizes totally change the value of the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally, someone talking some sense. Shaniac, maybe they'll listen to you more than me. I hope so. I agree 100% and I also completely support Kaplan in his analysis that Jamie's money should have all gone bye-bye in this hand.

Keyser. 11-06-2007 02:40 AM

all arguments aside, man it would've been sweet if Doyle stacked Jamie in a $1 mill pot there.

Hollywade 11-06-2007 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact given Doyle's hand (10 8) there's really only one flush (9 high) that he's ahead of and that might pay him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something, or is there some magical invisible border that cuts between 9 high flushes and 8 high flushes? It's one notch. If I'm jamming the pot with 97s, I'm doing it with 87s too. Probably 76s and 65s while I'm at it.

Hollywade 11-06-2007 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all arguments aside, man it would've been sweet if Doyle stacked Jamie in a $1 mill pot there

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Let's not forget that.

txbarbarossa 11-06-2007 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

By "no," I assume you mean "yes," especially since the hole card cameras showed us Doyle folding the 3rd nuts.

When I have the 3rd nuts against a crazy man, and I feel he has a good hand, this makes me happy. I know he will stack off when I shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually why I don't like to play super deep stacked against a maniac like gold. I can make some bad decisions against a maniac. Whereas playing 100BB deep i'm gonna make better decisions.

Of course the converse is when the maniac goes broke to you when you have the nuts super deep stacked. But it's just hard to get the nuts.

jjshabado 11-06-2007 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In fact given Doyle's hand (10 8) there's really only one flush (9 high) that he's ahead of and that might pay him off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something, or is there some magical invisible border that cuts between 9 high flushes and 8 high flushes? It's one notch. If I'm jamming the pot with 97s, I'm doing it with 87s too. Probably 76s and 65s while I'm at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doyle has the 8 of spades. High limit professional players know that if they hold the 8 of spades, their opponent doesn't have the 8 of spades.

And yes if you're good and playing deep you should be very away of every pip down the ladder you go. Notice how Doyle thought there was a big difference between the Q high flush (the nuts) and the 10 high flush. Once again, Gold is out of his league in these games, but he's not completely retarded. I highly doubt he stacks off here with a 7 high flush.

shaniac 11-06-2007 02:46 AM

Also, I don't think Jamie Gold is going to push allin for 400K or w/e he had left on the river. Does Doyle necessarily have to play for the whole stack if he calls the c/r? Yes, it's gonna be a big pot, but, depending on the river, I think Jamie might check or bet some amount like 150-200K.

jjshabado 11-06-2007 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
all arguments aside, man it would've been sweet if Doyle stacked Jamie in a $1 mill pot there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I wanted him to make the call, but I think he made the right decision.

jjshabado 11-06-2007 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I don't think Jamie Gold is going to push allin for 400K or w/e he had left on the river. Does Doyle necessarily have to play for the whole stack if he calls the c/r? Yes, it's gonna be a big pot, but, depending on the river, I think Jamie might check or bet some amount like 150-200K.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is part of the problem. If Gold is ahead with the Q or J high flush its very likely they're playing for stacks, at the very least its going to be a big pot. If Gold is behind with a baby flush (or bluff, or weaker hand) he's likely to check/fold to a big pot or call a small bet. So Doyle is losing the big pots and winning the smaller pots.

On top of all of this, its a high variance hand in a very marginal situation. Instead, Doyle can save his money and continue to play directly to the left of Gold. Its pretty likely there are going to be a number of better situations coming up throughout the day.

private joker 11-06-2007 02:53 AM

Great show, horrible thread. What else is new.

1) Ditto on Antonio's great reads, and I actually don't think he played the AA hand that badly. Super deep stacks, and knows (as well as anyone who's seen Barry on TV) that Greenstein is capable of 3-betting with a big draw (Ks8x). And since he was in the blinds his hand is hard to read. Antonio doesn't want to play a huge pot, especially if he's beat, and with Barry betting out into the field he's capable of holding a flush as well.

When Barry fires the third barrel on the river, Antonio is right to consider that he's beaten (Barry looked like he wanted a call and liked his hand), but of course he has to call there.

2) Doyle played his flush hand fine. All you guys who can see Jamie's cards are gleefully talking about how easy it is to shove like 400BBs into the pot there. Kaplan called it perfectly -- the way Doyle reads the situation (albeit incorrectly), Jamie is either bluffing or he has a monster (unfortunately, Jamie is too bad at poker to realize the 9-high flush is not a monster vs. Doyle). Doyle correctly read that Jamie loved his hand, so he figured he'd let go of the small amount he'd invested into the pot because it's a RIO situation -- if he's beat, he's drawing dead.

The stack sizes made it an awkward hand to be in at the time. With a smaller stack he can shove, and with a larger stack he can call and face a river decision. With 500k and Jamie's raise to 125, Doyle is finding it hard to commit himself with that hand. Folding is a minor mistake if he's ahead of Jamie's bluff (Jamie wouldn't follow through on the river), and if Jamie's ahead, calling is a gigantic mistake.

Great play Doyle, and all these internet fish behind their dorm room 50-Cent posters and suburban Michigan minivans in mom's driveway can relax on the computer chair and pretend they're better at poker than you, but you've been owning the likes of them for decades. Keep on keepin' on.

txbarbarossa 11-06-2007 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If doyle calls the turn he has to go with any nonspade river i think. So basically at that time doyle knew he wasn't just calling the turn raise but also another huge bet on the river. He also knew Gold was strong .. and Gold being the total donk he is thinks a flush there is the nuts. To the people that don't think Gold is stacking off there, I really think they give this guy way too much credit. I don't even think he sits there long on the decision.

Yeah he did fold AK to Hellmuth but lets face it, hellmuth is a nit and the board was all spades and Gold had no spade. It was only top pair. A flush? Gold isnt laying down any flush.

txbarbarossa 11-06-2007 02:58 AM

BTW benyamine has major brass balls to play 72 that way. I mean the last guy on earth you want to bluff at is Jamie Gold. The only reason that bluff worked is Gold has absolutely zip and pip. I mean I don't see gold laying down even middle pair. The guy is the biggest fish alive.

shaniac 11-06-2007 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Great play Doyle, and all these internet fish behind their dorm room 50-Cent posters and suburban Michigan minivans in mom's driveway can relax on the computer chair and pretend they're better at poker than you, but you've been owning the likes of them for decades. Keep on keepin' on.

[/ QUOTE ]

jeez, bud, we're just discussing a poker hand, it's not an epic battle of the ages. Pretty interesting hand, too...the people arguing Doyle's side make some good points.

jjshabado 11-06-2007 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy is the biggest fish alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like him, but he did win the Freaking Main Event. Sure the deck smacked him in the face, but don't you think it takes at least *SOME* talent to win that?

yellowjack 11-06-2007 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Ditto on Antonio's great reads, and I actually don't think he played the AA hand that badly. Super deep stacks, and knows (as well as anyone who's seen Barry on TV) that Greenstein is capable of 3-betting with a big draw (Ks8x). And since he was in the blinds his hand is hard to read. Antonio doesn't want to play a huge pot, especially if he's beat, and with Barry betting out into the field he's capable of holding a flush as well.

When Barry fires the third barrel on the river, Antonio is right to consider that he's beaten (Barry looked like he wanted a call and liked his hand), but of course he has to call there.

2) Doyle played his flush hand fine. All you guys who can see Jamie's cards are gleefully talking about how easy it is to shove like 400BBs into the pot there. Kaplan called it perfectly -- the way Doyle reads the situation (albeit incorrectly), Jamie is either bluffing or he has a monster (unfortunately, Jamie is too bad at poker to realize the 9-high flush is not a monster vs. Doyle). Doyle correctly read that Jamie loved his hand, so he figured he'd let go of the small amount he'd invested into the pot because it's a RIO situation -- if he's beat, he's drawing dead.

The stack sizes made it an awkward hand to be in at the time. With a smaller stack he can shove, and with a larger stack he can call and face a river decision. With 500k and Jamie's raise to 125, Doyle is finding it hard to commit himself with that hand. Folding is a minor mistake if he's ahead of Jamie's bluff (Jamie wouldn't follow through on the river), and if Jamie's ahead, calling is a gigantic mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

Doyle is acutely aware of how to adjust his play to (reverse) implied odds. This is evidenced by his flush and call/fold of AK.

Jamie is [censored] annoying with his declarations of wanting to be the best bluffer and analysis of Benyamine two-barrelling him being a "great play" because it happened to work.

I doubt Barry will read this thread, so if anyone sees Barry responding to a thread can you ask him how he would respond to a turn raise? If Barry knew Antonio was capable of semi-bluffing with a hand like KsQx, I wonder if Antonio could have made more money there. lol at Jamie claiming how Antonio made the least money possible, but it's a great sign of professionalism from the players to not correct the donk.

I wonder how much money or what strings Doyle and Barry pulled to have position on both Guy and Jamie at this table.

private joker 11-06-2007 03:04 AM

Shane -- of course you're right, but I felt like I just had to exaggerate to make a point... mostly my annoyance was driven by the posters who were just making one-line ZOMG DOYLE FOLDED A FLUSH WHAT A FISH. I admit there are smart arguments to be made against Doyle's side (not sure why you said "the people arguing Doyle's side make some good points," since I am one of them), but the attitude of the naive and hubristic newbies on here slamming Doyle without thinking through the situation is fairly bothersome.

Mr_Mxyztplk 11-06-2007 03:08 AM

I'd bet my left nut that Esfandiari is totaly staked in this game.

kypreanus 11-06-2007 03:10 AM

$5 to first working youtube link

Shaqizzle 11-06-2007 03:10 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I'm craving a Disaronno on the rocks.

botulism 11-06-2007 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT...Finally a voice of reason in this horrible thread. I bet that most of you who are willing to stack of with the third nuts 400BBs deep are losing players. Blah blah blah Gold bluffs and is a spew monkey yes this is true but sometimes he may just pick up a real hand. In this situation Gold felt like he had the best hand and to me was willing to stack off. Now what Doyle has to ask himself is what hands can I beat? Yeah certain players like to bluff but usually when they are willing to put there whole stack in they think they have the best hand, and they usually get paid off because people think they're bluffing.

JokersAttack 11-06-2007 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW benyamine has major brass balls to play 72 that way. I mean the last guy on earth you want to bluff at is Jamie Gold. The only reason that bluff worked is Gold has absolutely zip and pip. I mean I don't see gold laying down even middle pair. The guy is the biggest fish alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually not 100% sure about this.

If Jamie had say, hit the ten on the turn, I dont think he calls David's third barrel on the turn. This is because I feel Jamie doesn't have a proper sense of putting someone on a "range of hands". He likes to try to guess their hand exactly. He marginalizes situations (see AK hand against PH). He read David for either a massive hand (flopped set or JJ+), or a bluff. He floated the flop to determine the strength of David's hand through his turn betting. I also think he wanted to rep the flush/straight draw he claimed, and if it hit the turn, I'm sure he then may have deliberated a bit more heavily and may have tried to make a move. The jack was one of the worst cards possible for Jamie. So he insta mucks. I don't think a ten on the turn changes much. If he hits the ace, then I think he goes with it.

That's what I think anyway.

wake_up 11-06-2007 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
much kudos to first working youtube link

[/ QUOTE ]

Do You See Why 11-06-2007 03:24 AM

god i cant wait for next week. fwiw, i think jamie doubles thru antonius. the way they set up the preview.

JDesab 11-06-2007 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is my list of EVs:

EV+:
Patrick
Daniel N.
Antonio E.
Doyle

EV-:
Jamie Gold
Sammy
Guy L.

Borderline:
David B.
Barry G.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ Barry G being borderline EV.

moran.

and also lol @ people berating Doyle's fold. When Gabe was sitting there going on about how Doyle was going to stack Jamie, I was sitting there seriously believing Doyle could muck his hand. Why? Because Doyle can read Jamie like a book, and detected high strength tells. Doyle probably believed that it simply wasn't worth risking his stack (who knows how many 500k bullets he had available?) in a borderline situation. Yes, in hindsight, it was an incorrect fold, but Doyle's ability to pick his spots and stay away from marginal situations (like the AK hand against Barry) testify to his past success.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying here is ... is that gold made the right decision as well. right?

wake_up 11-06-2007 03:39 AM

wrong forum

OmahaDoc80 11-06-2007 03:41 AM

Patrik mentioned in his blog that he and Gold play a monster pot. Too bad it was run three times and not just once.

Dire 11-06-2007 03:44 AM

Such a silly thread. If Jamie made a bigger flush on the turn everybody would've been nutting over Doyle's sick read. Results oriented twits.

What I find most interesting is that Sammy seems to be playing good solid poker so far especially insta-mucking the dumb end of that one card straight. Gold had also been looking like a much improved player in the some of the more recent HSPs, but he is playing beyond terrible in the 500k game. I wonder if its some sort of machismo thing to try and show that he's not scared to spew with half a mil stacks.

JokersAttack 11-06-2007 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is my list of EVs:

EV+:
Patrick
Daniel N.
Antonio E.
Doyle

EV-:
Jamie Gold
Sammy
Guy L.

Borderline:
David B.
Barry G.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ Barry G being borderline EV.

moran.

and also lol @ people berating Doyle's fold. When Gabe was sitting there going on about how Doyle was going to stack Jamie, I was sitting there seriously believing Doyle could muck his hand. Why? Because Doyle can read Jamie like a book, and detected high strength tells. Doyle probably believed that it simply wasn't worth risking his stack (who knows how many 500k bullets he had available?) in a borderline situation. Yes, in hindsight, it was an incorrect fold, but Doyle's ability to pick his spots and stay away from marginal situations (like the AK hand against Barry) testify to his past success.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you're saying here is ... is that gold made the right decision as well. right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I'm not saying that. Jamie was playing his cards. Is raising with KK from the sb a bad decision when someone is sitting in the bb with AA? Stop being so results oriented.

What I'm simply saying is that Doyle may have been playing 1 bullet and didn't want to jeopardize potentially a large amount of his stack in a marginal situation. Jamie doesn't raise a set or two pair there. He didn't even value bet his straight on the board that three flushed on the river, last week. He either has a flush, or is bluffing. And what flushes can he have that Doyle can beat?

Doyle correctly read Jamie for having a strong flush. Out of the strong flushes Jamie could have (including the 9 high flush, and maybe the 7 high), Doyle is behind. And he folded. This is a good play.

shipitkthx 11-06-2007 04:05 AM

Doyle's equity vs. the "normal" big flushes:

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

176 games 0.005 secs 35,200 games/sec

Board: Ks 4s Jd As
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 25.000% 25.00% 00.00% 44 0.00 { Ts8s }
Hand 1: 75.000% 75.00% 00.00% 132 0.00 { QsJs, Qs9s, Js9s, 9s7s }

wake_up 11-06-2007 04:09 AM

http://www.pokertube.com/ShowMovie.a...9-1d502e30e3b4

todd1007 11-06-2007 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"omg how can Doyle fold, wtf?"

[/ QUOTE ]

To me, this is the most disappointing hand I have ever seen on any season of High Stakes Poker. Jamie is supposed to go broke there. It can be on the turn or it can be on the river, but it definitely needs to happen.

I do not loathe Jamie Gold like a lot of people in this forum. However, I do like it when the "pros" stick it to the "amateurs." To me, there is nothing better than old school players teaching newbies a lesson. I think it's because it seems like a lot of people win a tournament and suddenly think they belong in the same group as world class players. Nobody is more old school than Doyle, someone who's been doing it for fifty years and has proven himself to be one of the best ever. Gold epitomizes the upstart luckboxes that suddenly find amazing fame without fully deserving it for the merits of their ability to play poker.

Anyway, long story short, my best case scenario in that group of players would be Doyle breaking Jamie. A close second would be Barry doing it, because he is also a proven player and very classy.

Anyway, as far as the actual hand goes, I absolutely cannot believe Doyle folded that hand. He's got the 3rd best possible hand. He's being check-raised on the turn by someone who has already proclaimed he wants to be the world's greatest bluffer. Seriously, who bluffs more in that game than Jamie Gold? There are far more made hands that Doyle crushes than vice versa. Worst possible play in my opinion.

1) Reraise all in. Don't give Gold a chance to suck out if he just has a pair with a higher spade, two pair, or a set. Get all the money in with the near nuts.

2) Call. This leaves you well over 300k on the river and you have position. See what comes and what Jamie does then.

3) Fold. Seriously, bad bad bad idea. Don't do it.

I will honestly be very surprised if many people disagree with me on this.

I was SHOCKED.

[/ QUOTE ]

ban

Crazy Cypriot 11-06-2007 04:13 AM

I can understand doyles fold of the flush, because quite frankly Jamie Gold was reaking strength. yes its easy to say when seeing his cards but i think he went too much out of his way in this hand and thats a strong reason on why doyle folded.

However, i never understood the way he played AK vs Jamie and Barry. I mean isnt it worth calling the re raise there even though OOP to Barry? Yes AK is not the nuts but its not total crap either

shipitkthx 11-06-2007 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can understand doyles fold of the flush, because quite frankly Jamie Gold was reaking strength. yes its easy to say when seeing his cards but i think he went too much out of his way in this hand and thats a strong reason on why doyle folded.

However, i never understood the way he played AK vs Jamie and Barry. I mean isnt it worth calling the re raise there even though OOP to Barry? Yes AK is not the nuts but its not total crap either

[/ QUOTE ]

He's OOP against a tricky player in a re-raised pot with extremely deep stacks, Barry has the lead in the hand, if Doyle makes his hand and is ahead, he will vary rarely win a big pot, if he makes his hand and is behind, he will typically lose a big pot. Reverse Implied Odds 101

Micro Donk 11-06-2007 04:29 AM

seems like a few people here are only looking at hand strength in a vacuum, and not hand strength in relation to jamie's range

JokersAttack 11-06-2007 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seems like a few people here are only looking at hand strength in a vacuum, and not hand strength in relation to jamie's range

[/ QUOTE ]

And what is Jamie's range, moran?

This is a guy that very rarely value bets without an ultra strong holding and doesn't blend his range.

Jamie's range is a bluff (or a hand he's turning into a bluff), or a flush. Any moron that says otherwise and tries to include sets and two pair into his range is a wrong. Jamie MIGHT make a similar move with a bare Ace of spades, but I highly doubt it against Doyle. Also, he was displaying high strength tells. The nut flush draw with 1 card to come ins't strong.

So, from Doyle's point of view, given his read on Jamie as strong, which was correct, Jamie's range is a medium to high flush. Antonio knew this. That's why Antonio could tell by Doyle's pained expression when he folded, that Doyle mucked a BIG hand. Antonio put Jamie on the nuts or around there also, and was able to appreciate how good Doyle's fold actually was, despite the fact that having seen the cards it was actually incorrect.

Micro Donk 11-06-2007 04:45 AM

i was actually referring to the people who act like him folding a flush is so horrible

but an insightful post never hurt anyone