Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   This kinda pissed me off (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536527)

ZOMG_RIGGED! 11-02-2007 05:22 PM

Re: This kinda pissed me off

[ QUOTE ]
Ok? You can do the same thing at Blockbuster.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats your point? Thats because there are people that are too dumb to find out if they like a game before they buy it they should just become a blockbuster?

LateNiteRush 11-02-2007 05:31 PM

This is standard in the video game industry, you should not be surprised at all. Your lucky to get the $20 from them. Learn your lesson (pick the right game) and move on.

aislephive 11-02-2007 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're just being unreasonable and embarrassing yourself.

Your McDonald's example is inane, because you're talking about a $2 hamburger, not a $50 piece of merchandise. Also, if the burger is physically not undercooked, how would you convince them that it is? The only reason you'd be given a refund in this case is because they'd figure it's easier to refund you than deal with a crazy person.

I will reiterate: If a store had this policy, it would be exploited every day by thousands of people. There used to be a CD chain in New Jersey called Compact Disc World. For $15 a year, you could become a member of their club. You'd receive discounts on CDs, and you could return anything, open or not. Guess when they went out of business? Well, it was soon after they had to get rid of the policy due to the fact that CD burners were becoming increasingly popular. After they dismantled the club, nobody shopped there anymore.

Also, you're basically just ignoring all of my previous points about why it's not in a corporation's best interests to lose money every time someone decides to exchange a new game. Please review my first post in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most people buy meals from Mcdonalds, not individual burgers. Meals range from $4-$7 or so I believe, and you would get a full refund of the meal and McDonalds would take a loss equal to the value of the meal. The fact that we're talking about $60 merchandise in comparison to this does not bode well in your favor at all. They lost 100% of the value of the meal, where as with the $60 video game they might lose a small amount of money, but probably not even that if they adjust the policy fee to reflect the amount they would lose reselling the game. Even if we used my figure of $5, and we assumed that they marked it down $6-7 from a new version, that would mean they lose a couple bucks. However McDonalds lost more money on an item valued at not even 10% of that of the $60 video game, yet they have had this policy for as long as they have been open and is by far the most successful fast food restaurant in existance.

I already addressed your first post in this thread multiple times. How would they abuse this policy? What, they could pay $5 to keep a game for a week and return it? If they wanted to do that they could just go rent a game at a video store, wtf?

ZOMG_RIGGED! 11-02-2007 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and we assumed that they marked it down $6-7 from a new version, that would mean they lose a couple bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completly wrong. DUCY?

kipin 11-02-2007 05:38 PM

Hey dumbass, part of the reasoning McDonald's will give you a full refund is due to the overwhelming competition in the fast food market.

McDonald's also understand that if they piss you off over $5 you may never go back to another McDonald's and they'd rather have your future business than piss of a customer who can get a substitute good for the same price from Burger King or Wendy's.

That level of competition just doesn't really exist in the video game sector for numerous reasons so as a result you will see less favorable policies towards customers.

If you have such a problem with this, why don't you start up your own business and fix the market void.

aislephive 11-02-2007 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
With this policy, it prevents people from abusing the ability to constantly return games after they're done with them, while not completely screwing over those of us that are legitimate.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it doesn't. It lets me rent a game for a week for $5. I hope this thread is a hudge level becuase you're a complete idiot if this is true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok? You can do the same thing at Blockbuster.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. And that's what Blockbuster exists for, not Gamestop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, so why would people abuse this policy when they can just go to Blockbuster?

Change the policy instead to 4 days, or 3 for all I care. Or you can up the fee an extra buck or two, or you can both up the fee and lower the amount of time you have to return it. God your argument is getting so lame ...

ZOMG_RIGGED! 11-02-2007 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly, so why would people abuse this policy when they can just go to Blockbuster?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people litter? Why do they rob banks? Why do they shoot people in the face? Why do they take you seriously?

stabn 11-02-2007 06:00 PM

Pls to be moving thread to video games forum so i never have to see it again.

aislephive 11-02-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey dumbass, part of the reasoning McDonald's will give you a full refund is due to the overwhelming competition in the fast food market.

McDonald's also understand that if they piss you off over $5 you may never go back to another McDonald's and they'd rather have your future business than piss of a customer who can get a substitute good for the same price from Burger King or Wendy's.

[/ QUOTE ]

That example is not exclusive to places with heavy competition, give me a break.

[ QUOTE ]
That level of competition just doesn't really exist in the video game sector for numerous reasons so as a result you will see less favorable policies towards customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a joke? Best Buy, Wal Mart, Circuit City, local video game stores, etc. Not to mention the internet. They don't have any competition as far as video game stores, but that's been for quite a while now the least of their concerns.

aislephive 11-02-2007 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people litter? Why do they rob banks? Why do they shoot people in the face? Why do they take you seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell is your problem? Why don't you try to make your point without being a complete douche?

tuq 11-02-2007 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pls to be moving thread to video games forum so i never have to see it again.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL.

aisle, I'm still on your side bro. Another thought I had is, if you can't get a refund or exchange via the normal means, try to seduce someone who works at EBGames and then get her to do your bidding. Or him if you roll that way.

ZOMG_RIGGED! 11-02-2007 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell is your problem? Why don't you try to make your point without being a complete douche?

[/ QUOTE ]

Becuase this is either a level and not worth ready or your not very smart and this still isnt worth reading.

aislephive 11-02-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Becuase this is either a level and not worth ready or your not very smart and this still isnt worth reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't even put together a sentence void of simple spelling or grammatical errors and you have the nerve to criticize my intelligence? Let me guess, you don't even play poker at all? Or better yet you're just some busto micro stakes player. Either way nobody cares about you so stop trying so hard.

Twistofsin 11-02-2007 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought these policies were to prevent customers from taking home games and ripping them to there PC and burning them to play on a modded system and then just taking the original back. Ya know, piracy.

[/ QUOTE ]
That wasn't the original intent, though, because these policies go back a lot farther than ripping/burning technology even existed...

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure? I had friends growing up that had SNES carts that you could load ROMs onto from floppy. They probably made them for the original NES to.

PokerHatesMe 11-02-2007 08:11 PM

what do you think ur the only one who this happens to? EB games, gamestop... they all use the same method u fool.

stop crying like a wuss

aislephive 11-02-2007 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you think ur the only one who this happens to? EB games, gamestop... they all use the same method u fool.

stop crying like a wuss

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same company you idiot.

wtfsvi 11-02-2007 08:17 PM

The reason they give you your burger back at McDonalds if you say it's undercooked, is that you say there is something wrong with it. Similarily, you'd get a new game if you said it was defect - unless they bothered to check. If you say at McDonalds, after eating some of your burger, "sorry, I changed my mind, I'd like a chciken burger in stead. I forgot cows are so unhealthy to eat. You can just cut off this piece I ate from here and sell it for almost full price. Come on, you wouldn't lose anything!", that probably wouldn't work out as well as you imagine.

Claunchy 11-02-2007 08:22 PM

wtf,

That's a bad analogy fwiw. Pretty much any restaurant will let you get you something else at no additional charge if you don't like what you ordered, even if it's cooked fine.

aislephive 11-02-2007 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason they give you your burger back at McDonalds if you say it's undercooked, is that you say there is something wrong with it. Similarily, you'd get a new game if you said it was defect - unless they bothered to check. If you say at McDonalds, after eating some of your burger, "sorry, I changed my mind, I'd like a chciken burger in stead. I forgot cows are so unhealthy to eat. You can just cut off this piece I ate from here and sell it for almost full price. Come on, you wouldn't lose anything!", that probably wouldn't work out as well as you imagine.

[/ QUOTE ]

zzzz

"I ordered XXX and you gave me XXX instead."

Or:

"I didn't want pickles on this. I'm allergic."

How about:

"You put too much salt on my fries!"

I could go on and on. Also the rest of your analogy is lol.

mookboi 11-02-2007 08:55 PM

Why is this thread still going?

1) The games at blockbuster are used. The games at gamestop aren't. Blockbuster can rent out 1 used game for a hundred times, and make $500 profit. Gamestop would go out of business if they did this, since noone would buy games and just rent them.

2) Gamestop's customer base is kids. Teenagers, and poor people in their early 20s. Basically people without a lot of discretionary income. You can't argue that "most people wouldn't abuse this policy", are you kidding me? Any kid would. I would. I don't know where you live, or what socioeconomic background you come from, but I personally and a lot of my friends who are in their early 20s do abuse various store return policies. I have on occasion bought clothes and returned them after wearing. I do this often with books, since the library books are old and crappy. For most stores, this kind of [censored] is built into the price. For stores that market to teenagers, having no return policy outweighs the cost of having one. Which brings me to my next point,

3) There's a reason that MOST big chain stores have these policies. They aren't idiots. They have analysts and consultants that have beat the issue to death and concluded that this was probably the most +EV policy to have. It wasn't like some douchebag one day was like "Haha, no returns!!" If a big corporation has a policy like this, it's because it's been researched to be the most profitable policy to have. Yes, they lose business from people like you, but the benefits of having this policy outweigh the benefits of having your business.

stormstarter28 11-02-2007 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me guess, you don't even play poker at all? Or better yet you're just some busto micro stakes player. Either way nobody cares about you so stop trying so hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait...I don't play poker. Does that mean I'm dumb and nobody cares about me?

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Quick, somebody tell me I still matter.

Nick B. 11-02-2007 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) Gamestop's customer base is kids. Teenagers, and poor people in their early 20s. Basically people without a lot of discretionary income. You can't argue that "most people wouldn't abuse this policy", are you kidding me? Any kid would. I would. I don't know where you live, or what socioeconomic background you come from, but I personally and a lot of my friends who are in their early 20s do abuse various store return policies. I have on occasion bought clothes and returned them after wearing. I do this often with books, since the library books are old and crappy. For most stores, this kind of [censored] is built into the price. For stores that market to teenagers, having no return policy outweighs the cost of having one. Which brings me to my next point,

3) There's a reason that MOST big chain stores have these policies. They aren't idiots. They have analysts and consultants that have beat the issue to death and concluded that this was probably the most +EV policy to have. It wasn't like some douchebag one day was like "Haha, no returns!!" If a big corporation has a policy like this, it's because it's been researched to be the most profitable policy to have. Yes, they lose business from people like you, but the benefits of having this policy outweigh the benefits of having your business.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even dumb feminists have friends that would abuse it. http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

wtfsvi 11-02-2007 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Or:

How about:

I could go on and on.

[/ QUOTE ] Yes. You could claim all sorts of different things were wrong with your burger. But there was nothing wrong with your video game, and you didn't claim there was anything wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Also the rest of your analogy is lol.

[/ QUOTE ]It was supposed to be. I'm glad to hear you've kept your humor through this difficult time.

ZOMG_RIGGED! 11-02-2007 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still like you random person on the enterweb

stormstarter28 11-02-2007 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still like you random person on the enterweb

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a good citizen and a true friend.

tuq 11-02-2007 11:32 PM

storm,

I am sorry but now that you've disclosed you don't play poker you are dead to me. Have a nice life. /ignore

Also, mookboi owns this thread so hard. Too bad he couldn't get anything for it on Ebay.

Sephus 11-02-2007 11:42 PM

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/9...uressubml7.jpg

aislephive 11-02-2007 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is this thread still going?

1) The games at blockbuster are used. The games at gamestop aren't. Blockbuster can rent out 1 used game for a hundred times, and make $500 profit. Gamestop would go out of business if they did this, since noone would buy games and just rent them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether the games are new or not is hardly a factor if you're keeping the game for a week.

[ QUOTE ]

2) Gamestop's customer base is kids. Teenagers, and poor people in their early 20s. Basically people without a lot of discretionary income. You can't argue that "most people wouldn't abuse this policy", are you kidding me? Any kid would. I would. I don't know where you live, or what socioeconomic background you come from, but I personally and a lot of my friends who are in their early 20s do abuse various store return policies. I have on occasion bought clothes and returned them after wearing. I do this often with books, since the library books are old and crappy. For most stores, this kind of [censored] is built into the price. For stores that market to teenagers, having no return policy outweighs the cost of having one.

[/ QUOTE ]

If somebody wants to abuse the ability to return games for a small fee, Blockbuster is infinitely easier and more practical to do for a number of reasons. First off, you don't have to spend the amount of a brand new game to begin with to scam them out of a few bucks. Secondly, since their games are used and sometimes scratched to the point that they don't play, it is very easy to abuse their store policy by claiming that games don't work for you.

Actually, I take that back. I emailed GameStop/EBGames a day ago or so and they just emailed me back. Here is their response to my situation:

-----
Dear xxxx,
Thanks for writing in.

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with our return policy. If I could make a suggestion, consider trying our "used" product. It comes with a fantastic return policy for our customers that aren't quite sure if they'll like the game.

True - Like any other retailer, you can't return an opened new game or CD, etc. But, with our used game exchange/return policy, you can do this for any reason within 7 days.

I hope this helps clarify our policy and empowers you with the information so that you'll be in a better position next time you are unsure about a game purchase.

Best Regards,
Daniel
GameStop.com

----

Man, how ironic is that? As it turns out they do have a policy that is ridiculously easy to abuse, just for used games instead. All things considered it's even easier currently at GameStop than Blockbuster to abuse their return policy.

I almost forgot about your first point in your post.

"Gamestop would go out of business if they did this, since noone would buy games and just rent them."

Awesome.

[ QUOTE ]
There's a reason that MOST big chain stores have these policies. They aren't idiots. They have analysts and consultants that have beat the issue to death and concluded that this was probably the most +EV policy to have. It wasn't like some douchebag one day was like "Haha, no returns!!" If a big corporation has a policy like this, it's because it's been researched to be the most profitable policy to have. Yes, they lose business from people like you, but the benefits of having this policy outweigh the benefits of having your business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gotta admit, the more I think about my proposed return policy for new games, the crazier it sounds. I'll go sit in a corner now.

aislephive 11-02-2007 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Or:

How about:

I could go on and on.

[/ QUOTE ] Yes. You could claim all sorts of different things were wrong with your burger. But there was nothing wrong with your video game, and you didn't claim there was anything wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Also the rest of your analogy is lol.

[/ QUOTE ]It was supposed to be. I'm glad to hear you've kept your humor through this difficult time.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem confused, I never compared the two directly. I was just merely pointing out that just because a store policy can be taken advantage of doesn't mean that it shouldn't be used.

stormstarter28 11-03-2007 11:28 AM

LOL. OP wrote an angry letter to the video game store.

otnemem 11-03-2007 11:53 AM

OP,

The reason the policy exists for used games is because they're ALREADY [censored] OPEN! You're not really this [censored] dumb, are you?

NotFadeAway 11-03-2007 12:13 PM

This thread has to be some sort of joke, right? The OP can't possibly be serious.

aislephive 11-03-2007 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

The reason the policy exists for used games is because they're ALREADY [censored] OPEN! You're not really this [censored] dumb, are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, what the hell is your point? You love to throw around these one liners like they mean anything at all. I think you're the biggest douche I've come across in OOT, congrats. OBVIOUSLY IM AWARE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A NEW AND USED GAME YOU [censored] IDIOT.

You missed the entire point anyways, yet again. You clowns just told me how this policy would be abused and run GameStop out of business blah blah when they already have the [censored] policy implemented for used games. But gee whiz, Gamestop would never allow a policy for new games to be returned within a week paying a $5-10 fee in exchange for a refund of store credit. So many people would spend $60 on a brand new game (zomg new!) and then $5-10 each week so they could return it in exchange for another brand new game, instead of just buying the used version of said game and returning it for another game a week later without any fees or questions asked, or just going to Blockbuster and abusing their return policy.

You should stick to those pretentious one liners that totally miss the entire point, btw. If you actually try to use your head I'm afraid you might hurt yourself. So browse some OOT threads, find some really good conceited remarks/insults from fellow pompous d-bags, and come back with another tounge in cheek response. Be sure to have very little relevance and not make any sense. Who am I kidding, you've got that one down pretty good!

aislephive 11-03-2007 12:52 PM

You OOT tards have officially put me on forum tilt. afgd'd3tf4gegfjrrjk8ea
tgkotd4tuq;f's2'sfhng

Show me specifically where I'm wrong, or stfu and gfto thx.

wtfsvi 11-03-2007 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You OOT tards have officially put me on forum tilt. afgd'd3tf4gegfjrrjk8ea
tgkotd4tuq;f's2'sfhng

Show me specifically where I'm wrong, or stfu and gfto thx.

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'd challenge you to HU for rolls. That seems like your kind of proof. But I'm too mature. (Or maybe I'm busto [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

otnemem 11-03-2007 01:22 PM

One liners? So [censored] retarded.

Gamestop doesn't care if people abuse the used game policy, because the games are already open. They don't lose anything, because they're putting it right back on the shelf the same way it went out. When you open your new game and return it, they lose money no matter what. If it's not because of the fact that they have to lower the price on it now, it will be down the road when nobody's buying the game anymore and they have to lower the price on the used copy you put back on their shelf. Seriously, this would be the greatest level ever if it is one.

aislephive 11-03-2007 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Gamestop doesn't care if people abuse the used game policy, because the games are already open. They don't lose anything, because they're putting it right back on the shelf the same way it went out. When you open your new game and return it, they lose money no matter what. If it's not because of the fact that they have to lower the price on it now, it will be down the road when nobody's buying the game anymore and they have to lower the price on the used copy you put back on their shelf. Seriously, this would be the greatest level ever if it is one.

[/ QUOTE ]

To suggest that people abusing the used game policy doesn't affect sales of their new games is hilarious. Can you be any more of a clueless moron? OH WAIT R U LEVELING ME? THAT WOULD SERIOUSLY BE THE AWESOMEST LEVEL OF ALL TIME AMIRITE?!

yi style 11-03-2007 01:44 PM

Yeah A5 I can see why you'd be annoyed but it's pretty inevitable for these smaller gamer companies for reasons people have touched on a bit already

McDonalds: They can afford a generous full refund policy because they can still retain a very strong "Revenue to Returns ratio" probably at least 500:1. No way small gaming stores could accomplish this, their ratio would be much much smaller. If everyone started abusing McD's policy, they would discontinue it.

[ QUOTE ]
Now I can see them not giving me a complete refund or exchange, perhaps making me pay 5 or 10 bucks since it was opened and they can't sell it new.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what they do, but they just charge a $40 fee for a $60 full refund [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

stormstarter28 11-03-2007 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To suggest that people abusing the used game policy doesn't affect sales of their new games is hilarious. Can you be any more of a clueless moron? OH WAIT R U LEVELING ME? THAT WOULD SERIOUSLY BE THE AWESOMEST LEVEL OF ALL TIME AMIRITE?!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it when Mom and Dad fight. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

bigmonkey 11-03-2007 02:01 PM

When I was about 15, after school I would go to the local towns and buy copies of games I knew I could sell for more at competing chains, claiming they were broken or were the wrong game or I just didn't want them anymore. I used to go around comparing the prices of the same game in different shops. I think the biggest difference I saw was a game marked at £35 in Electronics Boutique and £18 in MVC, so did that a couple of times. MVC was the best because they would actually give you a refund without a receipt. Virgin, Woolworths and EB all required receipts for refunds. So I'd take a game in there I had no receipt for (because I'd bought it 5 minutes ago from somewhere else) and ask to swap it for a game of equal value. This would mean them giving me a receipt which I could cash in at a later point. Once in Woolworths one of the assistants recognised that I had brought the same game back three times already and wrote on my exchange receipt "not for refund". I just went to their stationary section and cut that bit off with their own scissors.

In the end I think I made about £150 and called it quits as they were all catching on. My money went back into the gaming industry anyway as I used it to buy a Playstation. I think this whole enterprise is the closest thing I've ever done to being criminal. I'm not sure if it even was criminal, since they all consented. I was only giving them products back which they sold and for the price they sold it. I think it probably counts as fraud rather than theft.