Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   BFI November [censored] thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536089)

DesertCat 11-26-2007 11:05 AM

Re: BFI November [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
Why does everyone recommend Vanguard for index funds? Fidelity's expense ratio is 0.10% to Vanguard's 0.19% from what I can tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will admit my reasons are partly laziness. I don't want to spend my time researching index fund providers. I can send a newbie to Vanguard and know they will do fine and not get ripped off. I am actually a fidelity customer, but have never considered their funds. They are a good company but my experience has been they are higher commission, and higher fees than the discounters. Sounds like you found an exception.

Uglyowl 11-26-2007 11:40 AM

Vanguard S&P fund for years has been the gold standard. It takes a long time for reality to set in, if they are no longer that. Very similar to ING Direct with internet banking.

cookmg 11-26-2007 02:04 PM

From what I recall Vanguard has more choices of index funds. Their target retirement funds are perfect for the no-nothing investor whereas Fidelity's target funds are are chocked full of high fee, actively managed mutual funds. Also, I had heard that Fidelity's low fees on the index funds were just a promotional, temporary low. That was awhile ago though. Still, Vanguard will always be rather low fee so you can avoid the future hassle of moving money around by just sticking with the known quantity.

BeL0wMe 11-26-2007 04:45 PM

&#@$(*&#(*&$#)((&$) EWZ you mother f'er @#*)(@*$)(#$*()
&#@)*#)$( BRAZIL )(#@*()#*$)#(*$ ALL YOU PEOPLE

CrushinFelt 11-26-2007 04:57 PM

That's funny. I was just looking at that today wondering how it's been impacted.

ahnuld 11-26-2007 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anyone think the S&P could hit 1495 by friday ?

[/ QUOTE ]

very possible, but I just bought some dec 1400 puts so my money is on no. Well more specifically, my money is on no rate cut and the market tanks as a result.

[/ QUOTE ]

weeeeeee

Uglyowl 11-26-2007 05:36 PM

Brag: Net short the market
Beat: Lost more than 3% today, [censored]

Longs down huge (ACAS, TBSI)
Shorts holding on nicely (NX, ACLI, ASEI)

john voight 11-26-2007 05:44 PM

SKF down 5% yesterday up 7% today, my portfolio has 5x more variance than my BR [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (is that normal?)

ahnuld 11-26-2007 05:51 PM

I think I have my new FA strategy when im happy with my portfolio.

I plug in my symbols into google finance once. I dont check the prices every hour on etrade like I normally do, instead I simply read the news feed on google finance that automatically only shows new news on your most recent quotes. Ill check the prices periodically, but nowhere near as often as I have been recently.

john voight 11-26-2007 05:56 PM

google finance pwns. even though it is full of bugs (mainly relating to the chart and prices) I really hope they spend more time on it, although the bugs I am talking about could be a result of the source they are scraping all the info from.

chisness 11-27-2007 01:26 AM

How do you know which instruments to use to make trades on your ideas? Is there a book or post or web site recommended to read up on this?

hanster 11-27-2007 01:31 AM

Anyone have any thoughts in regard to asset-based lending?

ahnuld 11-27-2007 10:48 AM

just got in citi dec calls at 1.04. I dont think the stock bounced high enough at the open today on the good equity news. I plan to sell in the afternoon, no matter what price.

john kane 11-27-2007 10:50 AM

basic question:

stock/commodity XXX. current price $1000. i want to invest/long.

futures (?) price is $1020 for FEB08. if at februay 08, it is then $1020, have i made any money?

is it a case of being told a price and you decide whether it will be higher or lower?

take gold for example. price $815. FEB08 price $825. i can roll the daily price, whereby i am effectively investing (with leverage, at a 7% annual cost). Or i can go for the FEB08 option.

but if gold was at $825 in FEB08, using the rolling daily method i make profit on the $10 rise, whereas on the futures method i havent made anything?

is that correct?

many thanks if you can help.

ahnuld 11-27-2007 10:53 AM

no you havent. You need to reward the guy who holds the commodity for the time value of money so he gets the 20$ or 2% and borrowed the money for 20$ at that rate.

john kane 11-27-2007 11:10 AM

cool thanks ahnuld. think ill keep the daily rolling position rather than switch to futures.

chisness 11-27-2007 11:28 AM

Ahnuld (or anyone),

Where do you do most of your research on macro ideas like gold and oil? Economist, WSJ, recent news? For stocks, is recent news + industry news + annual reports a good start? How did you get an understanding of the instrument options you can use?

CrushinFelt 11-27-2007 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cool thanks ahnuld. think ill keep the daily rolling position rather than switch to futures.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll have made $10 but you'll also have lost on financing.

Jestli 11-28-2007 12:41 AM

CNBC today (11/27) around 1-3pm

anyone know what happened to that guy named Bob that was having trouble talking then it sounded like he collapsed or something and he never came back on air