Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   November [censored] thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=536084)

Blarg 11-11-2007 06:18 PM

Re: November [censored] thread

Four days isn't that much time off at all, especially for a pulled muscle. You might as well call it no time off at all. The least you could do is give your body some time to recover.

A good thing to do is some stretching when you can't be too physically active. Being flexible is great for minimizing the chance for injury, too.

goodguy_1 11-11-2007 11:12 PM

I pulled a muscle in my lower back last week happened when I was changing sheets on my bed. I powered thru it kept up on my usual routine.. used advil, ice and stretched 2-3 times daily over 4-5 days..now I feel fine.

I'm pretty sure I know why I was susceptible to lower back pain.. As a kid at 18 I broke my neck and had spinal fusion. I have C3,4 and 5 fused together with bone they grafted from my hip.
Over the last couple months I have been doing a ton of exercises with my own body weight specifically pullups and pushups. My neck has been rather sore and tense. Pretty sure thats why my back just tweaked on my last week ..just a funky sidestep to make my bed really hurt my lower back.

cbloom 11-11-2007 11:15 PM

BTW I bought a set of 4 exercise bands at Sports Basement for $12. Best money I ever spent on exercise gear, they feel really good. I like doing dislocates with them cuz unlike a broomstick they give a little bit where I'm tight and the tension feels like a really good stretch.

POKEROMGLOL 11-11-2007 11:44 PM

Had Enchiladas, refried beans, rice, some chips and 1.5 cokes for dinner
[censored] ME
KLJDSFKLDSJFKLADSJFKLDSJFKLJDSFKLSJDFKLSJDFIOERJF0 9JUT09THJU0934UKLDFSJLSKJDFLSKDJFSLADKJF

theblackkeys 11-12-2007 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Had Enchiladas, refried beans, rice, some chips and 15 margaritas
yum

[/ QUOTE ]

POKEROMGLOL 11-12-2007 12:58 AM

the beans have lots of protein??
the chips have carbs, which are good for endurance??
the 2500 calories will make me HUUUUUUUUGE??

i shouldve had 15 margaritas.

f it, im going to go do random pullups.

Blarg 11-12-2007 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I bought a set of 4 exercise bands at Sports Basement for $12. Best money I ever spent on exercise gear, they feel really good. I like doing dislocates with them cuz unlike a broomstick they give a little bit where I'm tight and the tension feels like a really good stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never hear of sports basement but that's quite a bargain. Even a single pair of bands is usually pricier than that.

They're great, but it's hard for some people to wrap their minds around new things. I just showed some to my brother, who travels a lot, often driving, and can't always get to a gym, and he couldn't get into them at all. They're perfect for travelers. So instead he'll be content with his choices of doing nothing, or doing the exact same thing at a gym and thinking it's different. C'est la vie.

Blarg 11-12-2007 01:04 AM

I can't help but grin when people count carbs as a bonus. It's probably the hardest type of food to avoid even if you wanted to.

MatthewRyan 11-12-2007 01:43 AM

Lately my elbow has been giving me pain, Im thinking this is from being at the computer so much playing poker, etc.

Is there such a thing as a "carpal turnel" type disorder for elbows due to mouse/computer use?

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix the problem?

POKEROMGLOL 11-12-2007 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't help but grin when people count carbs as a bonus. It's probably the hardest type of food to avoid even if you wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be jealous just because my enchilada dinner with cheese, refired beans, and delicious rice and two cokes will help my performance and help me lose weight. With hard work and commitment, even you can attain this level of self delusion with the right dedication.

theblackkeys 11-12-2007 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be jealous just because my enchilada dinner with cheese, refired beans, and delicious rice and two cokes will help my performance and help me lose weight. With hard work and commitment, even you can attain this level of self delusion with the right dedication.

[/ QUOTE ]
WORKINGOUTEATINGRIGHTOMGLOL

what? I dunno.

maniacut 11-12-2007 02:34 AM

I strained a muscle in my lower back (high reps of heavy deadlifts ftw) in early/mid september, at least that's what my doctor called it. I saw him like 3 weeks ago, he gave me a pain medication that did nothing and told me not to exercise. After one week of that and no change I just started exercising again and was comfortable with the possible outcomes:
this small sensation of pain during certain bending activities/times of day
it will eventually go away

So far this week it's been getting better each day.
Point of the story: back injuries are very hard to diagnose/treat.

goodguy_1 11-12-2007 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BLECH I just threw out my whole tub of MetRx chocolate flavored, that stuff is so foul I can't drink it. It was super cheap at Trader Joe's and I thought I'd try it, what a waste.

[/ QUOTE ]
yea i made the mistake of buying the same stuff..chocolate flavor and its horrific tasting even mixing it juice. The Aspartime also is way too intense for me and gives me a 2-3 hour buzz then a nasty headache. If I'm going to supplement with some protein powder I need a supplement without Aspartime(Phenylalanne).

POKEROMGLOL 11-12-2007 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

what? I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry there is only so much time eating beef jerkey, turkey, drinking water, and dragging myself out of my gym back to my apt. before I go insane and have to eat enchiladas and take 2 days off.

theblackkeys 11-12-2007 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

what? I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry there is only so much time eating beef jerkey, turkey, drinking water, and dragging myself out of my gym back to my apt. before I go insane and have to eat enchiladas and take 2 days off.

[/ QUOTE ]
hey man, I eat carne asada pretty much daily.

Blarg 11-12-2007 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BLECH I just threw out my whole tub of MetRx chocolate flavored, that stuff is so foul I can't drink it. It was super cheap at Trader Joe's and I thought I'd try it, what a waste.

[/ QUOTE ]
yea i made the mistake of buying the same stuff..chocolate flavor and its horrific tasting even mixing it juice. The Aspartime also is way too intense for me and gives me a 2-3 hour buzz then a nasty headache. If I'm going to supplement with some protein powder I need a supplement without Aspartime(Phenylalanne).

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, they put that crap in everything these days and not always in small amounts. I've had to throw away a few products that had aspartame or I get the headachy thing too, sometimes also get spacey.

Wolfram 11-12-2007 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so about 4 days ago i pulled a muscle (i think) in my lower back doing deadlifts. i feel better now, definitely not all the way better though (ie, not up to squats or deadlifts). must i wait until i'm absolutely 100% to start again, or should i go a little lighter? what's standard protocol for coming back off a back injury?

[/ QUOTE ]

I pulled my lower back about 3 weeks ago. My physical therapist says lifting weights should help recovery, you just have to be really careful not to overdo it. Start out with 50% of your normal weight and wait and see how you'll feel in the morning. Take the opportunity to really focus on perfect form cause that will help in preventing future injuries and aggrivating the current one.

Don't trust how you're feeling while working out cause your muscles will be warm and you've got adrenaline pumping that will mask the pain.

Wolfram 11-12-2007 07:03 PM

Shameless attention whore post:

Could somebody plz read and respond to my Q's in my log. kthx bai.

POKEROMGLOL 11-12-2007 10:28 PM

wow.. worst day working out for me in a long time.

i was looking to do a 4 mile run at my intended turkey trot 10k pace of 7:30/mile.

Prior to running, in order to keep my strength up, I did 2 sets of 7 pullups just because, then i did 3x10 dumbbell thrusters, 3x10 bench press, 3x12 weighted situps on incline bench.

It was my first time doing thrusters and i was on my toes and my form was horrible...it was really bad. I think i need to work on my flexibility so I can do the squat with my heels completely on the ground.

Bench press was weak, but I got through it.

Situps were okay.

Then the run was pathetic, which is the most important part because i am actually going for performance. I struggled to get to 2 miles. Hopefully this was just a result of 2 days off from working out and 4 days off from running + the thrusters.

ActionJeff 11-13-2007 12:22 AM

I overlifted today doing forearms, upper arms, and shoulders and am really gonna suffer the next few days =/ didn't pull anything though, gonna work through it

Jihad 11-14-2007 04:52 PM

That came by a little quicker than I thought. I am now officially a member of the 500# deadlift club. Felt so good the first time decided to do it again, couldn't get it the second time though. Still very fun. Next week my brother is in town and I'll probably max squats to rub it in his face, but we'll see....

AZK 11-14-2007 06:35 PM

I'm interested in improving my OHS. I don't go to the gym everyday so I can't really grease/groove this the way you can with say pull ups. Instead, I was thinking about warming up with it, everyday I lift so basically MWF. Even on standing press and squat days. My logic is that I am nowhere near strong enough in my core to lift a heavy weight for my shoulders or squat a heavy weight for my legs when I am doing this movement, so it wouldn't really tax those muscle groups if I wanted to work them. Am I making sense? Thoughts?

shemp 11-14-2007 06:50 PM

I did OHS in my warm-up. Whatever trade-off there is between heavy squats and light OHS would be worth it, even it weren't as minimal/non-existent as I suspect it is.

You can use a PVC pipe/broomstick/dowel/whatever to develop the movement also. You won't be penalized/get the feedback as with a load, but I think it is still valuable and something you can do away from the gym.

AZK 11-14-2007 07:19 PM

Thanks Shemp.

What sort of set/rep regiment did you use to improve your OHS? Vary?

Blarg 11-14-2007 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in improving my OHS. I don't go to the gym everyday so I can't really grease/groove this the way you can with say pull ups. Instead, I was thinking about warming up with it, everyday I lift so basically MWF. Even on standing press and squat days. My logic is that I am nowhere near strong enough in my core to lift a heavy weight for my shoulders or squat a heavy weight for my legs when I am doing this movement, so it wouldn't really tax those muscle groups if I wanted to work them. Am I making sense? Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heavy deadlifts create tremendous strength in that area very quickly. You could just do that. P.S. you can do it with jumpstretch bands at home too, no worries about banging around or taking up space with equipment.

Turkish get-ups are very good for shoulder stability and core strength too, if you have a dumbbell or a kettlebell. You don't even need much weight to get a good response from it.

shemp 11-14-2007 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Shemp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a few cracks at it with a barbell first. Didn't do very well, but in retrospect what this did was enforce on me the need to keep the bar on the correct path and my need for better shoulder flexibility.

I was able to take this away and work with a PVC pipe on the movement and do shoulder dislocates. The dislocates gave me confidence about where to hold the bar, and how to keep my upper back tight throughout the movement in a very non-threatening situation. I occasionally still do this just to reenforce the movement.

I was very quickly then able to do 1x15 with the barbell, and then added weight to 95#. From there I built to 1x15x95 as part of my workout. And if I was feeling frisky and it didn't mess with my planned work, I might do more sets.

This process took about a month. It felt as much like acquiring a skill as anything to do with strength.

If you are recovering the bar to your shoulders, you should be careful to absorb it with bent knees.

There's really no concern about lower back rounding because you can't keep the weight overhead if you lower back wanted to get into the act-- but it won't anyway, because it has it's own fish to fry.

My concern is with needing to dump backwards, which I've never done-- and I hope in the moment of truth I'll let the bar go and get out of the way. This would be a good thing to practice.

cbloom 11-14-2007 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My concern is with needing to dump backwards, which I've never done-- and I hope in the moment of truth I'll let the bar go and get out of the way. This would be a good thing to practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

He shows this in Squat Rx #9 I believe.

J.Brown 11-14-2007 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Shemp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a few cracks at it with a barbell first. Didn't do very well, but in retrospect what this did was enforce on me the need to keep the bar on the correct path and my need for better shoulder flexibility.

I was able to take this away and work with a PVC pipe on the movement and do shoulder dislocates. The dislocates gave me confidence about where to hold the bar, and how to keep my upper back tight throughout the movement in a very non-threatening situation. I occasionally still do this just to reenforce the movement.

I was very quickly then able to do 1x15 with the barbell, and then added weight to 95#. From there I built to 1x15x95 as part of my workout. And if I was feeling frisky and it didn't mess with my planned work, I might do more sets.

This process took about a month. It felt as much like acquiring a skill as anything to do with strength.

If you are recovering the bar to your shoulders, you should be careful to absorb it with bent knees.

There's really no concern about lower back rounding because you can't keep the weight overhead if you lower back wanted to get into the act-- but it won't anyway, because it has it's own fish to fry.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the gospel right here!

my path was/is very similar with this lift.

keeping active shoulders really is a key that is ignored by most when they start doing it and if you do that when practicing under no load it helps it become automatic when it is most essential. great advice as always shemp. J.

theblackkeys 11-15-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That came by a little quicker than I thought. I am now officially a member of the 500# deadlift club.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll be the first to say congrats. People, this is just over 5 plates.

thirddan 11-15-2007 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That came by a little quicker than I thought. I am now officially a member of the 500# deadlift club.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll be the first to say congrats. People, this is just over 5 plates.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, that is pretty sick...congrats...

POKEROMGLOL 11-15-2007 04:33 AM

5 miles on tuesday in 37:21
6.2 miles on wednesday in 49:41

So i guess my 10k goal next thursday of under 50 minutes is quite achievable. I am worried that I have done all of my distance work on a treadmill inside with no incline in the PM and the race will be outside with lots of incline in the AM.

ActionJeff 11-15-2007 06:48 AM

Never experienced this before

I was doing a pretty intense leg workout today, after not doing legs for several days. Was on a machine and my third set at a pretty heavy weight when my legs kind of felt... really good. Like, instead of the normal strain and burning during a rep, when I pushed down I got a very slight burn and almost a burst of pleasure. It made finishing up the set really enjoyable and I even did an extra set at my max weight. What is this? The only explanation I could find is natural endorphins as a result of the pump from lifting? It felt really great regardless.

I think I have experienced this with much less intensity in the past, but not for any areas other than legs. Not sure if this is relevant but I've been lifting for a few weeks at home, was lifting seriously for a month and a half or two several months ago but mostly stopped because of traveling.

-Jeff

Wolfram 11-15-2007 07:23 AM

Did it feel like cumming?

theblackkeys 11-15-2007 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

Blarg 11-15-2007 02:34 PM

Maybe you unblocked a chi channel.

AZK 11-15-2007 05:09 PM

Most times after squat days my knees hurt for the rest of the day until I go to sleep. Sort of a dull aching sensation, no sharp pains or intense pains upon different movements, just a general soreness. When I wake up the next morning, I have no noticeable knee soreness, occasionally I'll have regular quad/leg muscle soreness if it was a heavy squat day.

Is this normal?

Is this a sign that my squat form is poor?

ActionJeff 11-15-2007 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

[/ QUOTE ]

just checked my gym shorts, disregard my post

Go HoosGo 11-15-2007 07:17 PM

I'm starting to hate watching TBS ... all they do is show food commercials.

Blarg 11-15-2007 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most times after squat days my knees hurt for the rest of the day until I go to sleep. Sort of a dull aching sensation, no sharp pains or intense pains upon different movements, just a general soreness. When I wake up the next morning, I have no noticeable knee soreness, occasionally I'll have regular quad/leg muscle soreness if it was a heavy squat day.

Is this normal?

Is this a sign that my squat form is poor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Muscles grow so dramatically faster than tendons and ligaments -- and there is so much muscle in the legs and ass -- that you might have outstripped the ability of your tendons and ligaments to catch up for a while. People who do gripping work-outs experience that frequently, and sometimes it leads to significant injury.

You might consider what they do, but it's not something most people would like to hear. They occasionally put high volume/light load cycles into their schedules. That kills time productively while their ligaments and tendons slowly grow strong enough to handle heavy loading work-outs again. Besides just providing time for growth without putting your tendons and ligaments under much real threat, it promotes vascularity and growth of small capillaries, which helps with endurance and to get nutrients around and remove the waste that is a byproduct of working out more quickly. Poor circulation is the main reason why tendons and ligaments develop so slowly; so developing that can help in the long run build up a greater growth and work capacity.

Very unglamorous unfortunately. And it can slow down progress both in gaining mass and in gaining strength. However, it's an investment in healthy, balanced development that can pay off well in the long term.

Just a thought. But it rang a bell with the gripper training I've done.

istewart 11-15-2007 09:38 PM

Going for 10x3 deads tomorrow, should be exciting.