Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Bryce up >2 mill this year at lol limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=531923)

sapol 10-27-2007 01:47 PM

Re: Bryce up >2 mill this year at lol limit

[ QUOTE ]
i predict a 2.1 million $ downswing from now until december 31st because poker is a zero sum game its been proven

[/ QUOTE ]

linky?

sapol 10-27-2007 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
could we please get this thread back on topic of bryce being up a totally stupefying amount of money at limit this year. also let's start speculation now o how much of it was shipped off to backers.

[/ QUOTE ]

did he confirm he has backers?

daca 10-27-2007 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
could we please get this thread back on topic of bryce being up a totally stupefying amount of money at limit this year. also let's start speculation now o how much of it was shipped off to backers.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From his blog: http://stoxpoker.com/node/1481

The Bryce 10-27-2007 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TheBryce,

Can you tell us how you went about improving your game early on?

Did you datamine a bunch and run PT queries?
Did you work stuff out using Stove and pen and paper?
Did you get expensive 1-1 coaching?
Or just IM/post with other players?

Now that you're better than everyone else, what do you do to work on your game? PT queries on your own db? coaching/opinions from ppl who are almost as good as you?

Sorry for noob questions but this is really impressive and is making me feel kinda sorry for myself that I am -6bb/100 loser after 3k hands at huhu and struggle to beat 10/20 and 15/30 Stars 6max games.

[/ QUOTE ]

The most valuable stuff was recording and watching a a bit of my own play daily (usually 30 minutes or so) and spending a lot of time with pokerstove to get an idea of how often people had particular hands and then doing pen and paper work to find the best line.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dean and a friend of his had 25% of my action when I took a shot at 1k/2k in big Benyamine/Sassi session (I'd elected to pull some capital for real estate investments rather than run 1k/2k at the time) and so I (quite happily) sent about 110k of that there way. Dean called the friend in question on Skype later and thought to record the call, which actually made my day:

(Yes there's spam in this, but I had to insert some sort of graphic to be able to host it on youtube, so spam it is.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR9p_qX4qZM

yteba 10-27-2007 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
With hes coke habit, how can he not?

MattyMayor 10-27-2007 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gild - do you still play poker?

Bryce - very sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

)

woodshedding . Been woodshedding a lot on my huhugame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woodshedding is such a hip jazzcat term, are you a hip jazzman?

skillgambler 10-27-2007 04:05 PM

http://www.sakebomb.com/news/images/jeffandshit.jpg

rakemeplz 10-27-2007 04:06 PM

Man I bet he has some grey hairs due to those fierce downswings. Poker can be a cruel mistress, amirite?

suzzer99 10-27-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i predict a 2.1 million $ downswing from now until december 31st because poker is a zero sum game its been proven

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread has supplied a surprising number of belly-laughs.

Khaos4k 10-27-2007 04:21 PM

That skype phone call was amazing.

snowbank 10-27-2007 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That skype phone call was amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

MATT111 10-27-2007 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i bet he couldn't beat 1/2 NL

[/ QUOTE ]

It would not be worth his time to play any NL game lower than..... I don't know, 25/50? 50/100? I am quite certain that back in the day when he bothered, he could indeed beat 1/2 anyway.

What a stupid statement you made.

[/ QUOTE ]

all i'm saying is this is an overrated accomplishment. any mouth-breather can win at limit, it's a game of no skill and high variance. i'll try not to say "i told you so" when there are threads popping up about bryce's 3 million downswing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. How retarded can you get.....

ike 10-27-2007 05:11 PM

How do you never have a downswing playing HS limit?

mntbikr15 10-27-2007 05:32 PM

LOL at that convo....haha dean, you sound pretty gay....I guess its the whole british thing though

Gildwulf 10-27-2007 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gild - do you still play poker?

Bryce - very sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

)

woodshedding . Been woodshedding a lot on my huhugame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woodshedding is such a hip jazzcat term, are you a hip jazzman?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i used to play jazz sax/piano and still sing jazz sometimes

crzylgs 10-27-2007 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dean and a friend of his had 25% of my action when I took a shot at 1k/2k in big Benyamine/Sassi session (I'd elected to pull some capital for real estate investments rather than run 1k/2k at the time) and so I (quite happily) sent about 110k of that there way. Dean called the friend in question on Skype later and thought to record the call, which actually made my day:

(Yes there's spam in this, but I had to insert some sort of graphic to be able to host it on youtube, so spam it is.)

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

EvanJC 10-27-2007 06:36 PM

lol british

suzzer99 10-27-2007 06:38 PM

Is this "pen and paper" stuff something unique to limit?

pp262 10-27-2007 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol british

[/ QUOTE ]

The Bryce 10-27-2007 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this "pen and paper" stuff something unique to limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part, yes. One of the best methods for solving hands in limit hold'em is to take a wet piece of paper, cover it in a number of pens equal to the bets in the pot, and fling it at a wall. If the paper sticks, raise [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

MatthewRyan 10-27-2007 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol british

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeffmet3 10-27-2007 09:06 PM

i just watched your 200/400 heads up video on youtube and it was really good.

AntonHeat 10-27-2007 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AHAHAHAH Dean sounds ridiculous what a guy ROFL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

DeathDonkey 10-28-2007 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
bryce and gw,

what do you think of this quote from DD?

[ QUOTE ]
The key to achieving a high hourly winrate with low risk of ruin at HU limit hold'em is 98% game selection and 2% skill at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1

[/ QUOTE ]

That's sort of a silly statement. The best way to reduce variance in any form of poker is to jam your winrate through the roof. Your winrate is always going to describe a relationship between yourself and your opponents, so you can increase it by being extremely picky about who you play or by improving your own play to the point that it's that much better than your oppositions', or both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice I never said the word "variance" intentionally, so as not to sidetrack my point. We seem to be saying the same thing but only disagree on one point, you seem to say a winrate is something you control ("jam it through the roof"), and I'm saying winrate is something that occurs when you do other things right.

How is someone who isn't good at HU LHE supposed to "jam their winrate through the roof". Let's take a hypothetical player, Bob. Bob is a mediocre HU player, he knows to be aggressive preflop and postflop, perhaps he follows the very simple strategic outlined in the thread my quotation comes from. Now, if Bob's ambition is to have "a high hourly winrate with a low risk of ruin" as I put it, or "jam his winrate through the roof to reduce his variance" as you put it, what is the most efficient way he can do that?

You say he can be picky about who he plays or he can improve his own play, but the former option is a thousand times easier to do, and will have a bigger overall result than the latter option if his goal is to "achieve a high hourly winrate with a low risk of ruin" . I guess you can argue with me about what a high hourly truly is, and clearly Bob isn't going to just jump to your levels, but he can easily make over 100 an hour in low stakes HU games by following my simple advice.

I believe my edge over the big fish in HU LHE is probably 10 bb/100, maybe a bit more. When you're playing these sick 1k/2k games, what do you think your winrate is against the guys you play? You are a great HU player but in my opinion if you played any winning regular at 5/10 HU or above on Full Tilt you wouldn't beat them for 10 bb/100 long term. That's not a criticism of you at all, its just a statement about the luck involved in HU when two players of a decent level of competency play. Bob should clearly work to be a better HU player and improve his skill, but if he wants to do well, all he really needs to do is play people way worse than him. That's all I was trying to say and I hope I've expanded enough to remove any doubt that my statement was "silly" in the context it was given.

-DeathDonkey

The Bryce 10-28-2007 03:31 AM

If Bob is expecting to make a mountain of cash playing HU LHE without investing much energy in improving his game I would say Bob is a somewhat silly fellow.

bonds 10-28-2007 11:27 AM

I didn't know "spaceman" Bryce played poker.