Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   About the Forums (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Important info about vBulletin (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=523567)

Ryan Beal 10-17-2007 02:29 PM

Re: Important info about vBulletin

[ QUOTE ]
I should have known better if Ryan was in favor of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

... I'm still neutral. There's no reason we have to use it. The site would be just fine without, so it's really whatever is popular with you guys.

mrkilla 10-17-2007 03:11 PM

RB
are all accounts being moved over . IE users who haven't posted for say 2 or 3 years

Slow Play Ray 10-17-2007 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Slow Play Ray:

Quote:
Will the forum addresses still be in the 'forumserver.twoplustwo.com' format?

We've decided not to use a subdomain for the new forums. There are several reasons for that, but the biggest is that doing it the way it is now screws with the site's statistics. In certain spots we get counted as two sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Goodbye, 2+2 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

danzasmack 10-17-2007 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Slow Play Ray:

Quote:

We've decided not to use a subdomain for the new forums. There are several reasons for that, but the biggest is that doing it the way it is now screws with the site's statistics. In certain spots we get counted as two sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No more 2p2 @ work for like just about everybody who has a job.

AngusThermopyle 10-17-2007 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Slow Play Ray:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently changing it will screw with the site's statistics.

AquaSwing 10-17-2007 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
RB
are all accounts being moved over . IE my gimmick accounts who haven't posted for say 2 or 3 years

[/ QUOTE ]

mrkilla 10-17-2007 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
RB
are all accounts being moved over . IE my gimmick accounts who haven't posted for say 2 or 3 years

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shhhh must we point out the obvious [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

XXXNoahXXX 10-17-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Slow Play Ray:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me, but this will suck since posters w/ jobs > posters w/o jobs. There has got to be other ways to access it right?

tuq 10-17-2007 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not me, but this will suck since posters w/ jobs > posters w/o jobs. There has got to be other ways to access it right?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the internet. There's always ways around things. killa is technical, maybe he can chime in.

Also, I doubt every person with a job will be affected by it. I can't imagine that most employers have www.twoplustwo.com in their filter. I think the net loss will be nominal between people being unaffected and those finding a workaround. If it was substantial I would hope 2+2 would consider a return to forumserver so those missing out can resume slacking. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

mrkilla 10-17-2007 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the internet. There's always ways around things. killa is technical, maybe he can chime in.

Also, I doubt every person with a job will be affected by it. I can't imagine that most employers have www.twoplustwo.com in their filter. I think the net loss will be nominal between people being unaffected and those finding a workaround. If it was substantial I would hope 2+2 would consider a return to forumserver so those missing out can resume slacking. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

masking the URL is the best I can come up with perhaps going to the direct IP. but I need a Guinea pig I don't have a filter or proxy at my shop so I can't test if it works or not.

The reason forumserver gets passed (I think) is that www.twoplustwo.com (and with out www) is flagged gambling by the filters by default

I'm surprised more prefix wildcard filters aren't applied but I digress.

Anywa some working shmo whos normally blocked and wants to dedicate some time with me for like an hour I'll try and figure out a work around

I sent ray a test thing but he hasnt responded yet

KotOD 10-18-2007 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Will ignore lists survive the switch?

Nope.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man. Now I have to see Bytor and Oski's stuff at least once more.

KotOD 10-18-2007 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ryan,

"Mostly it would be beneficial for new posters if it worked as intended."

My concern is, people get hung up on that rep stuff and poor noobs get even less attention than they already do. I feel that I posted better when I first posted here (I posted less too, probably not a coincidence) but because I was a noob I was pretty much ignored. Maybe I'm overthinking this and it helps noobs more than hurts but I'm not seeing it. I am for whatever helps quality noobs get noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4231/spike1ca9.jpg

Tuq, protecting the Jerry's of the world.

inyourface 10-18-2007 04:47 AM

Rep system rules! I've got it on other forums and it rocks

BradleyT 10-18-2007 04:58 AM

Sitepoint's vBulletin lets you choose whatever title you want. Not sure if that's a custom mod or a freely available one but I like it.

Tinga 10-18-2007 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
masking the URL is the best I can come up with perhaps going to the direct IP. but I need a Guinea pig I don't have a filter or proxy at my shop so I can't test if it works or not.

The reason forumserver gets passed (I think) is that www.twoplustwo.com (and with out www) is flagged gambling by the filters by default

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, this is correct. it's the same for my work.

fwiw, archiveserver.twoplustwo.com also does not work though the filter either.

[ QUOTE ]
Anywa some working shmo whos normally blocked and wants to dedicate some time with me for like an hour I'll try and figure out a work around

[/ QUOTE ]

if SPR hasn't gotten back to you yet, i will be a guinea pig for the next few hours.

kylephilly 10-18-2007 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Will Dids make it through?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not looking good..

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...y-in-Chair.jpg

Slow Play Ray 10-18-2007 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if SPR hasn't gotten back to you yet, i will be a guinea pig for the next few hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

i tried what he sent me, this one works:

http://2p2.url-go.com/

for 2p2 right now, but i tried to set one up for my fantasy football website and it still got blocked. so i don't know if it will continue to work in the future.

[censored] you, websense!

mrkilla 10-18-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

for 2p2 right now, but i tried to set one up for my fantasy football website and it still got blocked. so i don't know if it will continue to work in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

did the IP address it self work ? I bet you get a diffrent block msg like "Numerical websites not allowed" or something similar

the other one worked cause I masked the IP and not the twoplustwo.com url

the problem I think is going to be when the forum "calls" the DB from your browser I can't mask that... the only way to find out is when it happens work on it

anyone else behind a filter is welcome to to try that url at the bottom, its going to have some adds at the bottom, just deal with it then

ryan is it just the login page changing to the main www or the whole VB software , links etc

like after login does the url change to "boards." or "forumeserver" again?

Tinga 10-18-2007 03:19 PM

2p2.url-go.com works great for me.

if you use firefox/adblock, you can block the frame at the bottom, and you won't have any dirty advertisements.

Fast Food Knight 10-18-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One nice thing that even the mods haven't seen quite yet is that 2+2 will automatically switch to using a special lite skin on mobile devices, excluding the iPhone.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so unbelievably great.

OziBattler 10-18-2007 08:12 PM

just tried the url below and it worked for me too LDO and i hope it works down the track when we move.

Admins, I think youll lose traffic if we dont offer forumserver or some other reasonably easy way to beat websense....surely not losing traffic is > any problems caused by double statistics?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Troll_Inc 10-18-2007 08:19 PM

In true 2+2 fashion, no one actually answered my question in this thread before it was locked: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post12562613

So is the new software going to suck as bad WRT to logging on and at random times finding out you've been logged off?

Mike Gallo 10-18-2007 10:11 PM

Will this mean I no longer have member # 8?? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Ryan Beal 10-18-2007 11:09 PM

That's actually a good thing to bring up, Troll. While I can't speak to what's causing your UBB trouble without a bit more info, vB handles staying signed in differently.

In vB there is a session timeout that controls a number of things throughout the software, including the who's online page and which users are displayed as viewing a forum. What this means is that it's not realistic to disable the timeout or make it all that long. Using 'remember me' makes it so you won't even notice this, and I especially recommend it if you take a while to type up posts. If the timeout is an issue for you but you don't always want to be auto signed in, just manually logout when you're done.

I've noted fewer oddities with not logging out and then signing in with a different machine. Remember me also won't expire after about 2 weeks like it does now.

Mike,

Probably. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Troll_Inc 10-18-2007 11:19 PM

It never seems to do it when I'm on the same machine or take too long typing up a post*.

I always select "remember me", whenever I log in.

It always seemed random but now that you mention it, it does seem to correlate to when I signed on with my pda. I never post anywhere but on my home computer, so I'll just not sign on anywhere else and hopefully that fixes it. Thanks.

*The only problem I have when taking a while to type up a post is that it gives me a "doesn't recognize page" and I lose what I type. So usually I "select all" and then "copy". So if it loses what I typed, I can just "cut and paste". But in this situation, I never get booted out and have to log on.

Troll_Inc 10-18-2007 11:20 PM

In all seriousness, while this UBB.threads is outdated I'm sure I'll miss it when we change.

I still miss telnet for reading email.

Ryan Beal 10-18-2007 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ryan is it just the login page changing to the main www or the whole VB software , links etc

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be the latter. This is being reconsidered because of the issue noted here, however.

Tony_P 10-19-2007 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Slow Play Ray:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This will suck, my work filter is like this too.

[ QUOTE ]

Enterprise Web Proxy

Problem Report

Access Denied - XXXXXX Policy

Message ID

content_filter_denied

Problem Description

Your request for access to:

"http://www.twoplustwo.com/"

From IP address XXXXXX

was denied by the content filter because it is categorized as:

"Gambling Related"

Kimbell175113 10-19-2007 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rep system rules! I've got it on other forums and it rocks

[/ QUOTE ]

BradleyT 10-19-2007 09:39 PM

For those that are blocked at work -

Websense can't keep up with all the new sites that show up on www.proxy.org

And if you guys don't mind spending a few bucks you could always buy your own .info domain name for $2.99, get some $2/month hosting, and get either cgi proxy or php proxy (both free) and use your website for self use and websense would never discover it.

Ron Burgundy 10-23-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Slow Play Ray:

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good. People with jobs suck anyway.

Lori 10-23-2007 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the rating the posters thing is kind of dumb but maybe others will like it. I don't know.
I'm not a big fan of post-counts either but whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had ratings before, everyone ended up as 3/5 stars as all the gimmick accounts had 1 vs 5 wars.

2/325Falcon 11-07-2007 07:09 PM

Bump. What the dealie, yo? Is this going down this weekend?

RoundTower 11-07-2007 10:58 PM

Buzz just put up a sticky in the Omaha forum linking to this thread. Is this definitely happening this weekend?

Troll_Inc 11-07-2007 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Buzz just put up a sticky in the Omaha forum linking to this thread. Is this definitely happening this weekend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Opening lines:

2-1 Change to vB goes off smoothly

5-1 Gets delayed again

5-1 Switch-over is made, but then someone freaks out and they bring it back to UBB.

rubixxcube 11-08-2007 11:22 AM

Whats the deal with favorite posts on our account? I have an old post in my favorites from 2005 that i don't want to lose. Should i just save the link in my favorites in IE or are those old ass posts moving to an archive of some sort?
Thanks

BradleyT 11-08-2007 09:10 PM

http://www.google.com/bookmarks/

private joker 11-08-2007 09:37 PM

The change is happening first weekend of December

2/325Falcon 11-08-2007 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pj for ATF mod! Someone tell iron he's fired for not producing a srs biz answer.

*TT* 11-09-2007 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pj for ATF mod! Someone tell iron he's fired for not producing a srs biz answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

srsly.