Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask Me About Being a Weatherman (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=521123)

Dids 10-12-2007 11:31 AM

Re: Ask Me About Being a Weatherman

One of the things that drives me nuts is that one of our local guys likes to talk about "here's what I'm forcasting" or "this is my forcast" when I assume he's just using the same infor/forcast everybody else is.

Am I wrong, or is he an egotistcal mustache having POS?

tdarko 10-12-2007 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You know it has been proven that you will get more wet running through the rain than if you just walk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you know that it has been proven that wet clothes dry?

Just kidding w/ you, actually I didn't know that but in some weird way that kind of makes sense to me--I don't know if it is true but I can believe it. Either way rain doesn't worry or bother me.

TripleH68 10-12-2007 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You know it has been proven that you will get more wet running through the rain than if you just walk?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just kidding w/ you, actually I didn't know that but in some weird way that kind of makes sense to me--I don't know if it is true but I can believe it. Either way rain doesn't worry or bother me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think about it every time I run through the rain several hundred feet, that my running pointless! And only increases my chances of slipping and falling and breaking my wrist/arm/leg/etc.

You are just like my father. He worked an outdoor job delivering beer his entire life - and never wanted to know in advance what the weather was going to be like. He would say "it doesn't matter to me. I have to [censored] work in it anyway no matter what it is. If I step outside and it is cold I will know it is cold." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

He is now retired and consequently plans his life around the weather.

bwana devil 10-12-2007 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just think about it every time I run through the rain several hundred feet, that my running pointless! And only increases my chances of slipping and falling and breaking my wrist/arm/leg/etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont see how this can be the case. if two people go from point A to point B and one runs and one walks i bet the walker will get wetter. the runner may spend 30 seconds in the rain while the walker may spend 2-3 minutes exposed to the rain. seems there's no way for the runner to get wetter.

however if the time spent in the rain is equal and one walks and one runs i can understand the runner getter wetter.

StevieG 10-12-2007 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i dont see how this can be the case. if two people go from point A to point B and one runs and one walks i bet the walker will get wetter. the runner may spend 30 seconds in the rain while the walker may spend 2-3 minutes exposed to the rain. seems there's no way for the runner to get wetter.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a scooping effect, where the front of your body goes through more rain when running.

I believe some Italian researchers actually published on this a couple years ago. They claimed the optimal speed is in between a run and a walk.

bwana devil 10-12-2007 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a scooping effect, where the front of your body goes through more rain when running.

I believe some Italian researchers actually published on this a couple years ago. They claimed the optimal speed is in between a run and a walk.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand the front of your body will encounter rain drops but there's no way that will make up for greatly reduced time one is exposed to the rain.

edit: straight dope where cecil mentions the italian study

some university study

Rootabager 10-12-2007 12:54 PM

Do you predict rain on the days you want to golf?

StevieG 10-12-2007 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i understand the front of your body will encounter rain drops but there's no way that will make up for greatly reduced time one is exposed to the rain.

edit: straight dope where cecil mentions the italian study

some university study

[/ QUOTE ]

Good cites. Thanks.

CORed 10-12-2007 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Around here, the weather is really nuts sometimes...we had a high of 88 on Monday, and a high of 52 on Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

You call that nuts? I live in Denver, and I can remember several occasions when we had a high in the 80's and snow later the same day.

CORed 10-12-2007 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I'm not sure how many of the "broadcast major" people who just do weather actually call themselves meteorologists, but if they do, then it's blasphemy.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a kid ('60's to '70's) there was a guy in Denver called "Weatherman Bowman" who worked at several TV and radio stations. He was not a meteorologist, and I don't think he ever claimed to be, but he had actually legally changed his name to "Weatherman".

Toro 10-12-2007 02:20 PM

In the Boston market we had this cute weather girl named Chikage Windler. Do you know her and is that her real name.

Benal 10-12-2007 02:50 PM

Have you ever heard the phrase "You have the only job where you can be consistently wrong, yet still have a job"?

Tbird05 10-12-2007 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
talk about the sex offers from

http://usatalent.tvjobs.com/photos/w...is86153210.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Badger 10-12-2007 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What schooling did you do?

Are you afraid that you will be replaced by a hot spanish woman soon?

its basically the easiest job ever right?

[/ QUOTE ]

4 year Atmospheric/Oceanic Sciences degree at University of Wisconsin.

[/ QUOTE ]
When did you graduate? My girlfriend was in this program.

DrewDevil 10-12-2007 04:57 PM

This is not a question, but a comment.

I used to be a local teevee sports guy and I despised the weather department.

Not the people themselves, but the fact that the news department went ape-[censored] whenever there was any weather or chance of weather within 300 miles of the station. Cut-ins, live reports, all hands on deck, we're cutting sports today! WTF it's [censored] raining hard.

And the fact that the weather people were wrong about 90% of the time, but no one ever complained. Any mistake no matter how slight in sports, and we'd get dozens of calls and e-mails. Imagine if the sports guy said something like, "Tonight the Rockies play the Diamondbacks, or maybe the Mets."

Basically, everyone knows that weather guessers are just guessing, but they are STILL paid a lot and get a lot of air time because people are control freaks and it makes them feel safe if they think they know what the weather is going to be, even if it ultimately turns out to be something else. It's the thinking you know that matters apparently.

And the fact that the weather guessers made tons of money and never had any complaints despite being always wrong! Zero accountability.

And the fact that I'd get wrapped up early for a freaking kicker with a squirrel water skiing, but we always had time for "one more look at the seven day."

[censored] the weather department.

AceLuby 10-12-2007 05:10 PM

Are there people on TV that don't have degrees? I can't imagine some of the people that are weathermen actually have degrees in the field.

ChuckyB 10-12-2007 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I used to be a local teevee sports guy and I despised the weather department.

Not the people themselves, but the fact that the news department went ape-[censored] whenever there was any weather or chance of weather within 300 miles of the station. Cut-ins, live reports, all hands on deck, we're cutting sports today! WTF it's [censored] raining hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this was always annoying. Every summer:

"It's a scorcher today as the mercury hits 36 degrees (97 Farenheit). See how people are keeping cool (gratuitous beach shot), tonight on News at 6."

And every winter:

"Jack Frost is nipping at your nose, and other places, as the mercury dips to minus 30 (gratuitous naked snowman shot). How to keep warm in this brutal cold...tonight on Newscentre 6."

Heard in the spring around the newsroom:
"It's raining. Can we get some shots of it for a 30 second VO for the top of the show?!"

Somehow, it's a great shock to everyone that it gets hot in the summertime and cold in the winter. And it rains in spring. It takes the 'new' out of 'news' when you see it every frickin' year.

ChuckyB 10-12-2007 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever heard the phrase "You have the only job where you can be consistently wrong, yet still have a job"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish someone would actually track this. Because weathermen take a lot of crap when Monday morning's forecast for Saturday's weather doesn't turn out right. People get ticked off and refuse to acknowledge that Thursday's forecast of Saturday's weather was bang on.

I don't know much about weather. But if you're at home relying on predictions made 5 days to 14 days ahead of time (at some stations), you're not using your head.

Quicksilvre 10-12-2007 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish someone would actually track this.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are people that already track this.

Forecast Advisor

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my friends used to sell Doppler storm-tracking systems for Barron Services, have you ever heard of them or does your your station use their system? Have any good stories from live shots or on-location broadcasts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have heard of it.

No, we don't use it.

No cool stories yet.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So this in no way irritates you'?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=89mEJXU00...ed&search=

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does. But I'll watch..........

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice thread

Do you ever recieve death threats or get a pissed off look from your boss if the forecast is crappy?

Do family memebers call you up and ask "hey hows the weather over there?"

part B - do they ever really call for forecasts

Have you ever predicted something first or more accuratly then other people (like say a super duper snow storm that really is just going to be a flurry or Noah and his ark will be floating past anyminute when others called for a sprinkle)

When you look to the sky and see a cloud do you go "Hey that looks like a bunny!" or "Hey thats Altostratus!"

[/ QUOTE ]

A:

1. Absolutely not. He doesn't know [censored] about the weather, and I've been pretty accurate so far.

2. Yes, they do, but just the same as they always have. My Grandpa is a science buff, so we like to chat the physics of weather sometimes.

B:

1. Yes, once in a while that happens, and let me tell you, it feels better than sex.

2. I always do the latter. It drives my wife and my friends nuts. I can't believe that they don't want to learn about cloud types!

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My name is Ari

[/ QUOTE ]

"yes, the name rhymes"

You're just doing this to drive traffic to your bio, aren't you? Part of the master plan to move up in the weather world?

Srsly, how's the "exotic food" in West Central Ohio?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

There is none. I'd be surprised to find a fresh fish market. For a food/wine buff like me, it gives me more initiative to move up...The salary doesn't help either as far as being able to afford nice dinners and exotic foods.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stephanie or paula?

ever had this happen to you while on the air? (cockroach attack)

btw good thread. i liked the dylan response.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh..... Paula just cuz I work with her every day, and I like brunettes.

No, but we had a humungous hairy spider in the studio the other day... seriously looked like a baby tarantula.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the Spritz nipper this week?

[/ QUOTE ]

tartar sauce.... man id like to stick my face in that....

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Did you have any involvement with Weather Central while in Madison? (This is a data and graphics company that supplies equipment to television stations around the country.)

2) How many students were in your graduating class at Wisconsin?

3) How did you find this first job in Lima?

4) As you move along in a television news career, what type of arrangement do you have with your wife on the decision making?

5) Are there any co-workers in Lima that have been there a very long time, unable to find that next job and move up the ladder?

6) Have you ever heard any industry talk on the future of television news? I am referring to the internet and vod changing the way people get news, especially weather forecasts any time of the day or night.

7) When all your co-workers say in their bio how much they love Lima - what percentage of them are flat out lying?

8) How would you say you are different from other meteorologists with your level of experience?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Yes, at my internship, they used that system (Yes, I know what it is... lol)

2. 25 of us. Only 3 of us went into broadcasting. The rest were research nuts.... man, I can't imagine doing that for a living....

3. Sent application, got callback, interviewed, moved.

4. Well decision making as a whole is split. We have a very good relationship. My job will have to dictate where we live, and she understands that. She's along for the ride.

5. Only one guy, Jeff Fitzgerald has been here for like 25 years or so... but that's because he's a local guy, and the people love him. He wants to stay... I'm sure he could have been in a bigger market a long long time ago.

6. Well weather especially has been expanding... we now have television stations that broadcast national weather and local weather all day... like accuweather, weather plus, and that kind of thing.

7. Probably all of them.

8. I have way less experience than most out there... I just started, and I'm only 21. But, that said, I probably have more raw weather knowledge than 80% of the people you get your weather from on TV.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the things that drives me nuts is that one of our local guys likes to talk about "here's what I'm forcasting" or "this is my forcast" when I assume he's just using the same infor/forcast everybody else is.

Am I wrong, or is he an egotistcal mustache having POS?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say that you're right about half the time here. The "weather anchors" who just broadcast the weather (not real meteorologists) that say "my or "I'm" are a joke.

But a degreed meteorologist uses many tools and a vast knowledge of weather and weather patterns to come up with an individual forecast.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you predict rain on the days you want to golf?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but maybe when I move to a bigger market and have a salary capable of paying for golf, I'll think about it.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the Boston market we had this cute weather girl named Chikage Windler. Do you know her and is that her real name.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know of her, but it is very frequent for broadcasters to have a stage name if their last name sucks or whatever. FWIW, I use my real name.

Frequently they'll take their middle name and add an "s" to the end, then use that as their last name. Maybe I should use a stage name... my last name sucks. But I don't have a middle name....

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All the [censored] time. Everyone thinks its so funny, and I thought so too, the first 1000 times I heard it. This has to be the most common response I get after telling people what I do.

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What schooling did you do?

Are you afraid that you will be replaced by a hot spanish woman soon?

its basically the easiest job ever right?

[/ QUOTE ]

4 year Atmospheric/Oceanic Sciences degree at University of Wisconsin.

[/ QUOTE ]
When did you graduate? My girlfriend was in this program.

[/ QUOTE ]

May 2007. What's her name?

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there people on TV that don't have degrees? I can't imagine some of the people that are weathermen actually have degrees in the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that there are some. The news directors are just looking for a final product. If you can go on tv, look good, sound good, and tell the people what they need to hear, then you probably have a good chance of succeeding in this business.

ChuckyB 10-12-2007 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wish someone would actually track this.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are people that already track this.

Forecast Advisor

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that link. That's pretty cool.

KUJustin 10-12-2007 07:38 PM

I heard once that forecasts beyond 3 days are fairly worthless, and beyond 5 days are almost pure guesswork. I also heard weather guys hate putting out forecasts that long range, but the public demands it so their bosses make them do it. Any truth to this?

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard once that forecasts beyond 3 days are fairly worthless, and beyond 5 days are almost pure guesswork. I also heard weather guys hate putting out forecasts that long range, but the public demands it so their bosses make them do it. Any truth to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I'd say that any specific forecast over 5 days is fairly worthless. Although, we can give a general idea of the temperature/precipitation trends, we can't tell you exactly what time it's going to rain, or exactly what the temperature will be. We can get fairly close though.

Tablerat 10-12-2007 08:17 PM

Great thread.

How much on-air experience did you have in college? What was your first report in Lima like?

When the anchors throw it over to you, does your heart rate go up? Have you always been a good public speaker or what techniques have you used to improve/get over camera jitters?

Is there constant chatter in your ear during your forecast or is it silent? Has the prompter gone down during one of your forecasts yet?

Do you attend to your appearance more than your wife? Or does makeup do a good job for that?

Are they sending you out on live shots for the morning show? Or human interest stories? Are you trying to come up with some unique segment, e.g. adopt an animal?

Are the other weathermen supportive or do you not interact with them much?

Are you starting to get recognized out in public now?

Thanks!

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great thread.

How much on-air experience did you have in college? What was your first report in Lima like?

When the anchors throw it over to you, does your heart rate go up? Have you always been a good public speaker or what techniques have you used to improve/get over camera jitters?

Is there constant chatter in your ear during your forecast or is it silent? Has the prompter gone down during one of your forecasts yet?

Do you attend to your appearance more than your wife? Or does makeup do a good job for that?

Are they sending you out on live shots for the morning show? Or human interest stories? Are you trying to come up with some unique segment, e.g. adopt an animal?

Are the other weathermen supportive or do you not interact with them much?

Are you starting to get recognized out in public now?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I had absolutely no on air experience before this job. I've always felt comfortable in front of the green screen because of my internship, and all the practice I had, but my first day at the desk was a massacre.... I didn't know which camera to look at, how to time my segment... that kind of stuff. It was rough. But since then, things have been smooth.

2. I've never been a good public speaker. It takes some guts to go in front of a camera and talk to thousands of people. Basically, the more you do it, the less nervous you are. The less nervous you are, the better your segments become.

3. I don't have a thing in my ear... only the anchors use it. I have the option to, but the floor director is next to the camera giving me time cues, so I don't need one.

Here's a big point that I'm not sure people know or not: Weather Anchors ADLIB! Regular anchors/sports people use prompters. We don't. Everything you see is 100% live and adlibed. We create a show with a bunch of graphics, and basically go out there and talk about them. So if you see your local weatherman screw up, give him a break. If you see your local news anchor screw up, then they're a moron who can't read.

4. I take my dress pretty seriously compared to most, I'd say. I like to look good. I can't stand wearing makeup, but I have to because of the dark color of my facial hair. I'll usually just put it on 15 min before the show, and take it off right after . I hate the greasy/gay feeling of it on my face.

5. So far ,I haven't been freelancing any stories/segments. When I report (which all anchors have to do in small markets [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]...), it's usually some really boring story that's assigned to me. I have some ideas (cooking segments.... music segments... etc...), but I won't bring them up quite yet because I just started like 2 months ago.

6. I have yet to interact with other weathermen, but I'm sure that in a small market like this, where most are young, that I would get along just fine with them.

7. I live in a smaller town 30 min south of Lima, so I have yet to be recognized in public. Plus I'm new. My Co-Anchors say that they get recognized all the time.

Toro 10-12-2007 09:10 PM

Is it really harder to forecast weather in New England. I think it was Mark Twain who said "if you don't like the weather there wait a minute".

SneakyFerret 10-12-2007 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really harder to forecast weather in New England. I think it was Mark Twain who said "if you don't like the weather there wait a minute".

[/ QUOTE ]

Some places are obviously more difficult to forecast for than others. For instance, Las Vegas: easy. Pacific Northwest: hard. New England: kinda hard, but nowhere near as hard as the pacific northwest/colorado.

killsadie 10-12-2007 10:28 PM

do you feel a gay person could ever be a successful weather reporter?