Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   EDF (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=507053)

MikeyPatriot 10-04-2007 06:07 PM

Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

mockturtle,

I don't particularly like Hughes, but the "Bible study" isn't that big a deal. Those guys have zero to do outside of training (and that's a literal zero - no internet, no books, no TV, no phones, nothing), and the producers of the show allowed him to bring them Bibles to read. According to him (he may be lying), they wouldn't allow any other book.

Even as an atheist/agnostic, I'd appreciate being able to have SOMETHING to read.

mephisto 10-04-2007 07:43 PM

It's funny how they don't allow anything to come into the house except... when it comes to alcohol. Alcohol seems to just magically appear out of nowhere and guys get totally plastered out of their minds. If they don't have anything else to do, no wonder every season the guys find a way to trash the place and get into illegal backyard fights.

danvh 10-04-2007 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, he gets more money in sponsorships. Yes there are bonuses given out but he didn't receive any of it that night (all of the bonuses were disclosed in the article). True his earning potential has increased.... but not that much. If I was Jardine, I would feel ripped off. Even if you factor in that people are paying PPV fees to see Liddell, at LEAST get a $50k loss/$100K contract negotiated vs. Liddell's 500K/1M sweetheart deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

What article? The UFC doesn't usually disclose any of its bonuses outside of the Fight/KO/Sub of the Night. Maybe I didn't make it clear that Dana and the UFC hand out bonuses ON TOP of the Fight/KO/Sub of the Night. I don't really feel that bad for Jardine. The only reason people care is because he was thrown in the main event with Liddell and won. He had no business being on top of the card anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
About Houston, I really hope they put him in vs Machida asap. If he proves he can beat a ground fighter, give the guy his title shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Machida isn't a ground fighter. He's a counterstriker/karate guy. An Alexander/Ortiz fight would be interesting, but I think Ortiz should fight a bigger name like Hendo to really drive the value of that card up.

re: Hamill surgery

If he hasn't had the surgery, three weeks wouldn't give him enough time to rehab and fight at 78. If he has had it, it would be close, but pushing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, wasnt remembering dates right. Hamill wanted to rehab and fight Bisbing on the New Years card.

I too would like to see the Henderson/Ortiz fight but I think they might be in Vera territory with Tito and dont want to give him a big name fight that could boost his status if they dont think he is going to resign.

MikeyPatriot 10-04-2007 09:46 PM

I hadn't even thought of the contract situation with Tito.

traz 10-05-2007 12:27 AM

wowowow I just saw TUF e03. Joey is a huge pussy, and that fight was so lame. Worst guillotine ever.

Can we get some men on the show please

VORP 10-05-2007 12:39 AM

re: Hughes
I've dealt to him a few times in Vegas and he has always seemed like a cool guy. Very friendly talking with everyone.

MikeyPatriot 10-05-2007 07:00 PM

Rumors are picking up that Fedor is going to end up signing with Russian org. M-1. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

slickpoppa 10-05-2007 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rumors are picking up that Fedor is going to end up signing with Russian org. M-1. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Source? Not that I don't believe you, just curious.

I wouldn't lose hope yet. Fedor's camp may be leaking those rumors to gain leverage with the UFC.

mephisto 10-05-2007 07:18 PM

wow why? Russian mafia kidnapp his children and forced him to sign? If the rumour is true, huge blow to the UFC HW division.

AJFenix 10-05-2007 07:30 PM

UFC 78 card is out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_78

ozyman 10-05-2007 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UFC 78 card is out

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange card, no marquee main event calibre fight (Bisping vs Evans certainly isnt) but every single matchup looks good. Hopefully we will see quite a few knockouts so they can get as many fights as possible in the PPV especially since there are 3 PRIDE fighters making their UFC debuts.

MikeyPatriot 10-05-2007 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Source? Not that I don't believe you, just curious.

I wouldn't lose hope yet. Fedor's camp may be leaking those rumors to gain leverage with the UFC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Frank Trigg announced it on Taggradio, but Trigg has been blowing his wad about a ton of stuff lately. He's gotten some right and some wrong.

It's been floating around on some message boards, though, and Sherdog.com's editor Josh Gross gave the rumor a lot of credibility on one of the Sherdog radio shows today. Basically saying it's looking like that's what's going to happen.

I am praying that it isn't true, but if it does I understand that Fedor has to do what he feels is best for him and his family.

mephisto 10-05-2007 10:41 PM

UFC 78 looks really good actually, some nice fights. Really happy to see Houston fighting once again. I always enjoy watching Parisyan and Fisher. Herman is fun and Joe Lauzon is getting a deserved card.

This card is a lot more interesting than the next UFC...

MikeyPatriot 10-05-2007 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
UFC 78 card is out

[/ QUOTE ]

Strange card, no marquee main event calibre fight (Bisping vs Evans certainly isnt) but every single matchup looks good. Hopefully we will see quite a few knockouts so they can get as many fights as possible in the PPV especially since there are 3 PRIDE fighters making their UFC debuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me a lot of the UFC 72 card. The ME is a blah, but intriguing fight, and the rest of the card looks OK, but unspectacular. It looks like [censored] compared to the bigger cards that have happened the past 4 or 5 months.

MikeyPatriot 10-05-2007 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UFC 78 looks really good actually, some nice fights. Really happy to see Houston fighting once again. I always enjoy watching Parisyan and Fisher. Herman is fun and Joe Lauzon is getting a deserved card.

This card is a lot more interesting than the next UFC...

[/ QUOTE ]

Anderson Silva and Brandon Vera alone make UFC 77 more interesting that 78.

Zero_Cool86 10-06-2007 11:38 PM

Don't hate on Serra, the guy is one of the nicest guys out there. He always tries to help anyone reach their full potential.

Hughes on the other hand is a [censored]. He is arrogant and thick headed. He kicks his team when their down and vulnerable. Where Serra tries to instill confidence in his team. I don't know anyone that likes him as a person. As a fighter he is one of the best, but as a person hes nothing.

pig4bill 10-07-2007 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i cant believe all you dudes are hating on serra. he may have a thick accent and [censored], but he's a totally nice guy. remember the comeback season where he went out of his way to coach and help his teamates train? they were his opponents, you realize?

and as far as the person who says he "knows people who know both" and "hughes is very respected", i find that interesting because i've never heard anyone ever say a nice thing about matt hughes' person, and he's never come off as anything but a douchebag in the media. examples

1) bible study. if he pulled that [censored] on me i would have walked out. but then again, somedays i can barely motivate myself to turn on the computer and make 3x what these guys make for getting punched in the face.

2) in an interview before fighting george st. pierre he stated all canadians were cowards for not backing the US in the current "war"

3) he mocked george stpierre for not wanting to look at him/talk to him before their fight on an ultimate fighter season

4) he has a twin so if he is struck by lightning and dies we still have to put up with a carbon copy

[/ QUOTE ]

Hughes gained a lot of respect in my eyes after that episode. I used to think he was somewhat of a putz, but that episode changed my mind. Maybe it was just clever editing. If so, they did a good job.

mephisto 10-07-2007 03:40 AM

how did it change your mind exactly?

MikeyPatriot 10-10-2007 09:45 PM

Dave Meltzer reporting that Chuck Liddell/Wanderlei Silva has been verbally agreed to. Hopefully this [censored] gets finalized for real this time.

danvh 10-10-2007 09:57 PM

Also looking like Fedor is going to M-1. Though it also sounds like M-1 was bought or is being funded by an American company (Cuban maybe??)

lapoker17 10-10-2007 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dave Meltzer reporting that Chuck Liddell/Wanderlei Silva has been verbally agreed to. Hopefully this [censored] gets finalized for real this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont get why this is good/exciting - isn't liddell a joke now?

MikeyPatriot 10-11-2007 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also looking like Fedor is going to M-1. Though it also sounds like M-1 was bought or is being funded by an American company (Cuban maybe??)

[/ QUOTE ]

Rumors I've heard are that it's neither Cuban nor Ed Fishman, but someone who has had no financial interest in MMA up to this point.

[ QUOTE ]
i dont get why this is good/exciting - isn't liddell a joke now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for starters, two losses does not destroy a fighter. Chuck was KO'd by what looks like the best 205er on the planet right now, and lost a tough fight to Jardine.

Has a lot of the luster of this fight been lost in the past year? Yes. However, if Fedor/Randy isn't going to happen in the near future, this is probably the biggest "dream fight" right now. The reason this needs to get done NOW is that the longer it's put off, the more relevance it loses. Chuck is still one of top (if not the number 1) draws the UFC has. Most UFC fans should know Wandy, if only from Dana bringing him in the cage.

This fight still has an incredibly interesting backstory going for it. Is Chuck still able to hang with the elite? Has Wandy recovered from 2 brutal KOs? Plus the obvious Pride vs. UFC crap that'll get pushed in the hype videos.

mephisto 10-11-2007 03:34 AM

Any thoughts about tonight's show?

Again tonight's fight was a total joke, which ended in the 1st round. That joker doesn't look to hasve a fighters body to keep up with these guys, just totally outclassed. I think both coaches looked pretty good tonight. Serra is looking like a great strategist in the sport just like Couture is and Hughes carrying that kid to the car shows a lot of class.

Speaking of dream fights... Mine is Houston vs Rampage, I get goose bumps thinking about it.

jester710 10-11-2007 05:28 AM

The only good thing about tonight's show was the promo for next week's show, which looks like it should at least have some drama to it. That, and Dorian saying he was just gonna go over and drop some "superlatives" on the boom operator.

vulturesrow 10-11-2007 02:54 PM

The fight was pretty awful but in that guy's defense, he landed some solid blows, and he literally just fell down when he was moving away. Hope his knee isnt hurt too bad but it didnt look good. Not saying he would've won had that not happened, but its a pretty major factor.

And yes, Dorian's unintentional comedy, e.g., "dropping some superlatives", is one of the best parts of this show.

danvh 10-11-2007 03:42 PM

Wow. Fight Network and Meltzer are saying that Randy quit.

Link

Crazy stuff

MikeyPatriot 10-11-2007 03:51 PM

WOWOWOWOW.

Holy crap.

Torm 10-11-2007 04:57 PM

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news...l&gid=8236

PartyGirlUK 10-11-2007 05:07 PM

This is unsurprising. The UFC has been monopolizing the MMA industry, and seem from all the figures I've seen to be paying way below market value to their fighters. I would expect the pay of top MMA stars to rocket over the next few years (even if revenues remain static) as increased organizations compete for the best fighters.

MikeyPatriot 10-11-2007 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is unsurprising. The UFC has been monopolizing the MMA industry, and seem from all the figures I've seen to be paying way below market value to their fighters. I would expect the pay of top MMA stars to rocket over the next few years (even if revenues remain static) as increased organizations compete for the best fighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is surprising. There is not one person yesterday who would have said Randy Couture would quit the UFC.

Your analysis of the situation is correct though.

El Diablo 10-11-2007 05:22 PM

All,

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=9455

Pretty good quotes from Randy there.

4thstreetpete 10-11-2007 06:19 PM

I'll have to say big ups to Randy. This is not the first time a UFC champ has felt that he's been jerked around by management and left the UFC. I was reading some of the payouts for UFC's last PPV and the main event of Jardine vs Liddel. Liddel was paid somewhere in the neighbourhood of 500K plus ppv bonuses while Jardine (who was in the MAIN EVENT ffs) was paid a paltry 14K, that's ludicrous. Imagine how'd you'll feel if you're Jardine. Granted he will get paid more after his win, but this is an example of how the UFC shortchanges their fighters and jerks them around.
Much respect goes out to Randy and I'm glad he's going out on top.

MikeyPatriot 10-11-2007 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll have to say big ups to Randy. This is not the first time a UFC champ has felt that he's been jerked around by management and left the UFC. I was reading some of the payouts for UFC's last PPV and the main event of Jardine vs Liddel. Liddel was paid somewhere in the neighbourhood of 500K plus ppv bonuses while Jardine (who was in the MAIN EVENT ffs) was paid a paltry 14K, that's ludicrous. Imagine how'd you'll feel if you're Jardine. Granted he will get paid more after his win, but this is an example of how the UFC shortchanges their fighters and jerks them around.
Much respect goes out to Randy and I'm glad he's going out on top.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've addressed this before, but Jardine probably made a bunch in bonuses. The figures that get reported to NSAC, etc. are just base pay amounts. The other issue here is that Jardine had no right being in a main event with Chuck Liddell.

That's not to say that $14k isn't a shaft deal because there were fighters in the prelims making a similar amount. And Jardine, before Liddell fight, had established himself as a guy who could fight on the main card or headline a UFN.

ReptileHouse 10-11-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=9455

Pretty good quotes from Randy there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously there's always three sides to every story and all that, but that's pretty solid stuff from Randy. He's not just rambling on about things, he's giving specific examples to back up his statements.

mephisto 10-18-2007 04:50 AM

Another weak ultimate fighter show. Thinking about just skipping this season completely, very shallow talent pool. The personalities in the house are very blah and un-inspiring. I'll probably just end up fast forwarding to the fights for now on.

Also checked out the countdown to UFC 77 promo, another bleh. I'll still end up watching it though.

danvh 10-20-2007 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hadn't even thought of the contract situation with Tito.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you think of him not having to rematch to shoot the Apprentice.

Note, I have no idea if Tito being on the celebrity apprentice has anything to do with him not fighting Evens in Nov/Dec.

Hopefully he doesnt get a big head over all his exposure..

pig4bill 10-20-2007 07:23 PM

LOL, it's a bit late for that.

El Diablo 10-20-2007 07:23 PM

Guys,

UFC 77. Thoughts on how this card is going to be. Worth watching?

mrTEA 10-20-2007 07:36 PM

Silva/Franklin should be really entertaining. I'm also hoping Tim Sylvia gets his face smashed in for being the lamest fighter ever.

edit: I also like Jason Mcdonald a lot. His last few fights have all been fun to watch.

zacd 10-20-2007 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys,

UFC 77. Thoughts on how this card is going to be. Worth watching?

[/ QUOTE ]

Silva/Franklin will hopefully be a great headliner. Apart from that I'm not at all excited about the other matches.

November's UFC 78 doesn't have a high quality main event like this card, but I think the card on a whole is extremely interesting with fights like Houston Alexander(9-1) vs Thiago Silva(11-0) and Parysian vs Chonan (one of Anderson Silva's 4 losses).