Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Friday Night Lights Season 2 (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=504660)

Yeti 10-08-2007 05:39 PM

Re: Friday Night Lights Season 2

wasn't really cold blooded. guy says 'i'll be back for you' and starts to walk off, landry quickly gets up and stoves him with a metal pipe. he obviously did more damage than he intended.

btw i was super super disappointed when this rapist guy reemerged this season. i dont know if hes better dead or alive, i just wish they hadn't brought him back

Nez477 10-08-2007 06:10 PM

Agreed with everyone concerned about the Landry storyline

No longer will we have the great Matt-Landry conversations

Also, I just felt everything was rushed and I was a little frustrated with that... I mean I know it's convenient to have the kid in the first episode but I guess I wasn't really ready for Matt/Julie to be on the verge of breaking up right when the season started

I think once we get back into having certain characters being the focus of each ep instead of cramming so much into one ep it'll hopefully get back to the swing of things

Yeti 10-08-2007 06:13 PM

btw, def hoping for a return of riggins' hot next door neighbour and kid...but i fear the worst

sethypooh21 10-08-2007 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, def hoping for a return of riggins' hot next door neighbour and kid...but i fear the worst

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt it, since she's Damien Lewis' lawyer in "Life" this year.

sethypooh21 10-08-2007 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean I know it's convenient to have the kid in the first episode but I guess I wasn't really ready for Matt/Julie to be on the verge of breaking up right when the season started

[/ QUOTE ]

But it did lead to Taylor buttenholing Matt in the supermarket and basically telling him "you better hit that".

traz 10-09-2007 01:16 AM

just started episode, I am very excited.

"...actually it's young christians coming together to worship and spread the word of Jesus"

"You look good. Real good."

traz 10-09-2007 01:56 AM

meh. This episode was kinda lame. Some really good stuff...all of the Coach Taylor/Saracen scenes deliver as usual. The murder stuff is just over the top and unnecessary, but I don't think the actual act was really all that out of character. I mean...if some guy tries to rape/stalk some girl I care about, I may very well kill him too. I don't know what I'd do after though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Hopefully next episode delivers alot more...I want more lyla garrity, less religious fanaticism

ZBTHorton 10-09-2007 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the people that just watched episode one on the internet stream and not on TV, apparently they changed the Laudry/attacker scene slightly.

In the original version, Laudry hit the attacker once with a bottle while he was attacking Tyra which made it a bit awkward when the guy was knocked out for 30 minutes and really confusing on why they chose to do what they did afterwards.

Apparently in the TV version, they made Laudry hit the attacker several times in teh back of the head with a pipe when the attacker was walking away. The TV version sounds like it would make more sense and make the stryline less retarded and more feasible

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I'm like 7000% sure that Riggins was supposed to be a Senior last year. This bothers me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he wasn't. Don't you remember him and his brother going to eat at Taylor's house? They went over there so they would know what they needed to do to get college coaches looking at him. You don't start looking to be recruited halfway through your senior year.

sethypooh21 10-09-2007 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubt it, since she's Damien Lewis' lawyer in "Life" this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or MAYBE NOT!

[ QUOTE ]
On the backsliding tip: Smash (not that he has much to do in this episode -- or the next two) is back to being the cocky guy he was back in the pilot, if not moreso, since he doesn't have a mobile Jason Street to overshadow him like he did a year ago; and Riggins is back to drunken bimbohood. (In terms of the women they were attached to at the end of last season, Waverly's gone -- Katims decided they broke up sometime between "State" and this episode -- while Jackie the MILF will be back in some capacity soon.)

[/ QUOTE ]

SHIPIT!

MediaPA 10-12-2007 08:59 PM

I need a life. Oh well. hopefully it's a good episode. need to run out and buy season one for $15 tomorrow I think.

lastchance 10-13-2007 06:09 AM

This is solid.

Edit: Just got past awesome landry/tyra scene. This is more than solid.

"Haven't you heard of the internet?" = WINNAR.

keepitreal 10-13-2007 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
while Jackie the MILF will be back in some capacity soon.)

[/ QUOTE ]

SHIPIT!

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are really craving her, she plays a small role in Life on NBC on wednesdays at 10pm. although she looks hotter in FNL than Life fwiw.

jmill2511 10-13-2007 01:13 PM

I liked this episode, pretty excited to see Lyla hook up with Riggins again, I'm getting a little impatient though.

cpitt398 10-13-2007 04:11 PM

Coach needs to give his daughter a talking to. What a bitch. They stayed in Dillon mainly bc she wanted to and now she wont even help her mother out with the baby.

Also More Smash PLZ

TheRempel 10-13-2007 05:00 PM

Goddamn Tyra is soooo haaawwttt.

IlPug 10-14-2007 04:31 AM

i hate julie. also, i love her. sigh.

also, lyla FTW. she is teh hotness. one crazy christian chick i wouldnt think twice abt laying it on.

keepitreal 10-14-2007 11:43 AM

my women of FNL power rankings:

julie
tyra
mrs. coach
lyla

something about lyla's chin and the extreme hotness of the others puts her at #4...

traz 10-14-2007 11:50 AM

you're crazy. Lyla is perfect

keepitreal 10-14-2007 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you're crazy. Lyla is perfect

[/ QUOTE ]

its weird i know. i find brunette's way more attractive in general than blondes yet i contradict myself.

bottom line a 5 way with all 4 of them and me is on my christmas list.

TheRempel 10-14-2007 01:07 PM

Wow thats crazy. Julie still has babyfatl. Her bewbs got huge over the summer though.

Jay Riall 10-14-2007 02:35 PM

Just done watching Series 1. Observations - God, the Landry/Matt conversations that end in 'You're retarded' are soo awesome. I enjoyed it when that geeky little ugly knobhead got beaten up by Reyes for dissing the football team. That little mentaloid kid that lives next door to Riggins is either really awesome or really annoying I can't decide which.

tdarko 10-14-2007 09:21 PM

Just finished ep 2, some thoughts:

This was an ep where when it ended I thought to myself how great the show was.

-I know the Landry/Tyra storyline was veering off the path of what the show is but he is just a flat-out great actor and he pulls off some of the best scenes every week.

-I don't think I was the only one hoping that Lyla would try to help her dad out of the mud by herself. Lyla + mud= [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

-I don't find Julie hot like some do in this thread, she is cute to me not hot. I would rank the women of FNL as follows:

Lyla

Tyra
Mrs. Coach (she is tough to place on this list b/c she is a different kind of hot)
Riggins' neighbor
Saracen's new in-house maid
Julie

IlPug 10-14-2007 11:25 PM

i see a saracen/nurse affair coming on.

Dids 10-15-2007 12:37 AM

They did a really good job of making Landry look really unattractive. That dude does not benefit from a closeup.

The Coach/punk college player stuff is just too preachy and cliche. I think you can make that point without coming off like you've been given notes from Roger Goodell.

Matt/Julie's relationship is being well done.

This ep was an improvement, but I'm still worried.

DemonOfTheFall 10-15-2007 12:43 AM

I have some grave concerns for the way this season is panning out. Here are some random thoughts that popped into my mind.

SPOILERS AHEAD - YOU HAVE BEEN FOREWARNED

• Disjointed – where is the tightness in the storytelling? Why do these two episodes seem like a montage of scenes rather than an intricately woven parable?

• Parody of greatness of last season. Tami/Julie behave and react in ways they never would have last season. Where were the clues in Tami’s personality that she’d the type of person to lose it in front of a stranger? I understand the writers want to emphasise she’s struggling without the Coach but having her and Julie act unrealistically to show it is lazy writing. Either find a way to work it organically into their characters or don’t show them breaking down at all. Julie breaking up with Saracen without much cause/explanation other than ‘feeling trapped’ is ridiculously lazy writing not worthy of Friday Night Lights.

• Primary focus taken away from more compelling, stable characters – Coach Taylor, Street, Saracen – What do the scenes with Coach Taylor and Antoine have to do with the thematic drive of FNL? Why bother showing those scenes if we’ll get no follow up/no history – nothing that reveals them as anything other than a waste of our viewing time.

• Absurd storylines eg. Tyra/ Landry. This is a ghastly plot direction. When a show’s main appeal is that it refuses to stage cheap plot gimmicks, doing something like this is the equivalent of giving a big finger up to all the people who praised this show last season. Thrusting two peripheral characters suddenly into the spotlight is so grossly misconceived I wonder if the writers from last season were replaced with monkeys who’d just wandered out of their first soap screenwriting class.

• Characters are plot vehicles rather than driving the plot. Once again, I have little to no reason to care about anything Tyra/Landry go through now because it’s all cheapened by the ‘incident’. Breaking up Matt/Julie just as another young female is introduced into Matt’s life is monumentally manipulative and poor writing. Another example: Last season, Street would never have even considered going to Mexico without us seeing an extended episode of deliberation with Herc and his family. This season, it’s just another line in an episode full of things happening to people we vaguely know.

• Camerawork is less intimate – The unconventional filming style, cameras shoved into people’s faces at extremely tough personal moments; it all contributed to a depth and empathy that is noticeably absent.

• Dialogue feels contrived - Everything feels like it’s written to advance a particular plot rather than be an understandable corollary of a character reacting to a situation or a person around them. It removes me from the scene and again it feels cheap and manipulative.

• Confusion about major themes? Too much exposition and mundane storytelling. I want to see dignity, courage and loss; I want to see internal conflict. I do not want to see teenage soapiness nor drunken belligerence. I certainly don’t want to see arrogance or conceit. It seems like the emphasis on what made the characters likeable is a bit skewed. Last season, every character was carefully and compassionately portrayed. Ever action, even those unseemly ones, felt like a real, justifiable reaction. This season it feels like the writers are arbiters of whimsy, stringing characters along in any attempt to drive the plot.

• Absence of ‘Explosions in the Sky’ and scenes of Texan sky– Seriously, the soft, strumming guitars and low shots showing the wide open sky contributed so much to making the show feel like a portrait of a real environment. What we see now is just another TV show, a nicely framed and well shot TV show, but just a TV show. It could be shot in any town and we wouldn’t know the difference.

All in all, most of these are whines and mostly exaggerations, but I’ve seen far too many shows ruined and I sense that this one is heading in that familiar direction.

Pudge714 10-15-2007 01:23 AM

Demon,
Those aren't spoilers at all.
She's pregnant, not getting any sleep having, missing her husband and just walked a bunch in 105 degree weather.

They made it very clear Julie is doing whatever possible to not become her mom. Marry HS QB and stay in Dillon. This was also pretty clearly happening based on the first two episodes so it wasn't that random. A better criticism would be that this plot was more or less explored with Tyra last season.

Street hasn't gone to Mexico yet.

The scene with Coach and Antoine were really good. They might lead somewhere in the future, but if they don't it was still a good entertaining albeit small arc, which showed Coach Taylor dealing with his new job etc.

keepitreal 10-15-2007 01:53 AM

really enjoyed your thougths demon and agree here and there but at the same time...the other side:

-disjointed-its inevitable with the main? character in another part of the state...the season hasnt really started and isnt much the focus so once this happens it should be easier to join stories.

-parody of greatness-what pudge said (although i do think mrs coach has seemed a little off of what i would expect of someone in her situation) and julie is a friggin hs girl. if you are trying to tell me her excuse for breaking up with matt didnt feel right, i'd say thats about as perfect a break up as you could create to capture hs girls.

-stable characters-i agree i want more street. but i think what we're seeing with coach will pay off. and it was mentioned earlier but saracen is acting like he is the 3rd string QB on the worst team in texas...but we're still seeing a lot of him.

-absurd storyline-yea, its absurd.

-plot vehicles-yes a lot of the plot is diluted and seriously lacking. the first two episodes have reminded me of the start of season two of heroes in that (like you said) everything is so spread out we dont get enough of anything in an hour. and as a result, rather than depth, we get the crap we're getting.

-camerawork-do u fold AA pre cuz you're a nit =). i cant comment because i barely noticed a difference (i also havent seen an ep of season one in forever).

-dialogue-ties back to the non interlocking web of stories that doesnt seem to be working. less time for each character=no chance to deliver the right lines cuz we only see people for a moment (street to mrs coach i was like WTF).

-themes-all that you crave isnt likely to come in the first two episodes. we're just starting these season two arcs and i bet all you crave comes in time as a result of the sloppiness we're witnessing.

-absence of texas sky-interesting point...probably a chance to fit in an extra 30-60 seconds of the dialogue you hate. always looking for extra time...which is why so many intros/themes are so short nowadays with even more advertising.

a lot of your separate points are actually so heavily related and all can (will?) be fixed if the season starts and becomes enough of a focus to better connect these characters.

all that being said, not much from riggins' bro (except handing the ring to tim), waverly (who i think some FNL writer/director said "they broke up"), the little kid and his hot mom, etc, etc.

i think you were a little harsh and quick to hate (if you still feel this way by episode 6 or i'll be just as pissed as you are now).

Wynton 10-15-2007 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i see a saracen/nurse affair coming on.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems so obvious that I'm not sure I like it, even though I think that nurse is pretty hot.

Wynton 10-15-2007 08:21 AM

I appreciate the thought behind your criticisms, but I really disagree with everything except the forced Landry plot, which I believe everyone objects to.

Nez477 10-15-2007 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate the thought behind your criticisms, but I really disagree with everything except the forced Landry plot, which I believe everyone objects to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here

Ep 2 restored my faith, ep 1 had scared me some, but you want more reason for Mrs. Coach to break down at the hospital??? I mean, she's all alone with a newborn baby, I think that's reason enough.

And, as was stated, these are high school kids. They break up with each other all the time for lame-ass reasons.

tdarko 10-15-2007 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And, as was stated, these are high school kids. They break up with each other all the time for lame-ass reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I actually thought the dialogue perfectly conveyed the exact same scenario of a basic HS breakup or just immature relationships for that matter. "It's not you it's me." "I think we have changed." etc. etc. She was running the script so she didn't have to be honest--her own little defense mechanism b/c she is young and unsure of herself. I am not saying that as we get older we break down these walls but these walls are there b/c of certain defects in our ability to assert ourselves and damn near every teenager is in this category. It wasn't until Saracen sees through her BS and calls her out on it b/c he knows that she is only running the script b/c the Swede is what is on her mind and not him.

Demon- I actually disagree w/ a lot of what you wrote though I don't feel like writing as much as you did.

Yeti 10-15-2007 08:22 PM

blah, i mean it was ok, it had its moments definitely. i'm just worried about where its heading. if jason starts walking and matt starts getting off with his nurse it could turn very bad very fast.

i'm optimistic though. i thought they did a good job this ep of starting to move the plot successfully past the killing. agree that closeup shots are not kind to landry.

order of hotness :

1) the swede
2) lyla
3) julie/tyra
4) mrs coach

tdarko 10-15-2007 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) the swede
2) lyla
3) julie/tyra
4) mrs coach

[/ QUOTE ]

You win.

Jay Riall 10-15-2007 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) Riggins
2) lyla
3) julie/tyra
4) mrs coach

[/ QUOTE ]

Dreamy imo

I used to think Tyra looked really blokeish, but this season she has gotten mega-hot - mainly due to the footballs inserted into her chest. Also, Julie is a bitch (and isn't that hot at atm - give her a few years).

traz 10-15-2007 10:15 PM

Coach Taylor is obviously the hottest person in the show, wtf is wrong with you people.

/mancrush

sethypooh21 10-15-2007 10:44 PM

Oddly, coach Taylor has gotten blown up in everything I've ever seen him in besides FNL. One of the most explosive actors out there, imo.

Jdanz 10-16-2007 12:52 PM

The coach thing with the star player and the "great high school football coach" was obviously an important plot point. It was a huge backhanded compliment.

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think that coach understood he was being insulted and now there is going to be a lot of stuff about how he's not suited for the college environment where it's not his little old town anymore.

It could go either way, with coach being more and more shut out of the inner circle w/ the college team, or with him pwning and eventually getting their respect.

I imagine it's going to be something like, he eventually pwns at the college level, and when he final gets offered "acceptance" of some kind he turns it down to go back to dillon where the football is "pure".

DemonOfTheFall 10-17-2007 03:21 AM

keepitreal - Thanks for your thoughts. They helped clarify my statements much better. I see now that my instinctive reaction was not positive so in the quest for a reason I probably invented some flaws that didn't exist. I'll give it time and come back to this thread with something positive to add - hopefully!

Jay Riall 10-20-2007 01:28 AM

Great episode (though a lot of the plot points were pretty predictable). Only thing that kinda bugged me was Street's rant at Riggins at the end of the episode. Just felt really forced and wooden acting (though the guy who plays Street I usually really like).

Golden_Rhino 10-20-2007 01:37 AM

This was my favourite show last year, and I am still enjoying it this year, but it feels like something is missing. It's like all the characters have changed just a little bit.