Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Orange box & Team Fortress two beta thread (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=501101)

ohgeetee 10-03-2007 01:26 PM

Re: Orange box & Team Fortress two beta thread

Any old Tfers remember [FOLD]?

A good friend of mine played with em for a long time.

I think the game is done really well. The pyro tweaks may have been a bit much, and I do expect the scout shotty to get a reduction in dmg or something. Too many times I get 2 shot as a soldier by a scout. Just the fact that people choose the class regularly to play defense kinda illustrates the flaw.

evil twin 10-05-2007 11:56 AM

Apparently I am slow to notice, but Episode Two is now preloadable on Steam. Portal has available been for a while now but it seems that Ep2 became available a couple of days or so ago.

ata 10-05-2007 03:18 PM

I remember [FOLD]........ I pretty much ate slept and breathed TF back in the day. I get so nostalgic thinking about it.

evil twin 10-08-2007 05:24 AM

Valve confirms Orange Box unlock time.

Not long to wait now then, I've been very glad of the time to play TF2 to death before the release, since I can now dive directly into Ep2. It will probably only last 6 hours anyway.

Low Key 10-10-2007 11:33 PM

So... Can I go to a store and buy this now? Like, will Wally world have it?

Corpsebean 10-11-2007 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So... Can I go to a store and buy this now? Like, will Wally world have it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what Wally world is, but It should be instore today. I picked mine up at Gamestop.

waffle 10-11-2007 01:01 AM

OMFG.. Portal is cool.

Low Key 10-11-2007 02:17 AM

I went to Walmart (Wally world), the guy said they had it. We walked over to the PC game section that I'd already browsed several times, they still didn't have it..

It's nice that Circuit City has it for $37. Sucks to be all those folk that pre-ordered it.

Corpsebean 10-11-2007 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sucks to be all those folk that pre-ordered it.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you care about 10 dollars, I guess. The preorder allowed you to play TF2 like two weeks early, certainly worth it for me.

IsaacW 10-11-2007 09:21 AM

Picked it up for $38 plus tax at Circuit City yesterday after work. Hopefully I'll get to installing it tonight. The last FPS I really played was TF on Quake 1 (!), so I'm expecting this to be a ton of fun.

Should I play though HL2 and HL2:E1 before I start HL2:E2?

capone0 10-11-2007 09:21 AM

TF2 is awesome. I still play CS and haven't played TF1 or TFC in such a long time that I suck now but I really like the game and the graphics and animations are real nice. Hopefully I stop sucking soon.

chuckleslovakian 10-11-2007 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Picked it up for $38 plus tax at Circuit City yesterday after work. Hopefully I'll get to installing it tonight. The last FPS I really played was TF on Quake 1 (!), so I'm expecting this to be a ton of fun.

Should I play though HL2 and HL2:E1 before I start HL2:E2?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, it is a continuing story arc.

waffle 10-11-2007 11:12 PM

Meh. I'd probably pay extra to have something on steam. I prefer it over physical media.

Low Key 10-12-2007 03:38 AM

But... when you but it, and register the game to your steam account, you always have access to it over your steam account. Even if you throw away the discs, you can always download it if needed. Unless you are saying you're willing to pay more to create less trash. Which is noble in and of itself.

evil twin 10-12-2007 04:19 AM

The main point is that those who preordered played TF2 for two weeks ahead of the release date. That was worth more than $10 to me, no question.

Low Key 10-12-2007 01:15 PM

Ah, wasn't quite sure what waffle was trying to say there.

capone0 10-12-2007 01:34 PM

Looks like I'll be playing this game most of the weekend other than during football. Poker will take a break. I need to get good at TF2.

ImsaKidd 10-12-2007 10:13 PM

Im getting rdy to buy portal through steam right now, I dont really care about the other games but damn portal looks amazing.

EDIT: TF2 looks cool but I dont need another excuse to not play poker.

Autocratic 10-12-2007 11:04 PM

Screenshot of me owning 2p2er ip freely (not sure of his 2p2 name):

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...now/tf22p2.jpg

My scouting is top notch.

Low Key 10-13-2007 05:39 AM

And yet it looks like your team as a whole got WTFPWNED! Way to be a team player! =P

RiverFenix 10-13-2007 09:56 AM

Do we have enough people to get a 2p2 game going at some point? Server would be an issue but getting everyone as a steam friend then hopping on an empty server that everyone pings well too shouldnt be too hard

Autocratic 10-13-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And yet it looks like your team as a whole got WTFPWNED! Way to be a team player! =P

[/ QUOTE ]

True, we were being rocked. Plus 90% of my energy was focused on not being dominated by a 2p2er and then having a similar screenshot posted by him.

geormiet 10-13-2007 01:05 PM

Yeah hi that was me.

I hate that map, it sucks for pyros. I destroy scouts on dustbowl however.

geormiet 10-13-2007 01:06 PM

budgetcollegecook.blogspot is also a 2p2er, sort of. So there were actually 3 in that game!

ImsaKidd 10-13-2007 02:28 PM

Ok Portal is [censored] sickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

PITTM 10-13-2007 02:29 PM

I think I'm going to download this today, I never played the first team fortress, but I likes CS a ton, I imagine I will like this. And we have agreed that the Orange Box is the best purchase even if we already have HL:2 and Lost Coast?

Freakin 10-13-2007 02:47 PM

OMG, I don't know how i haven't read this thread before now

I absolutely loved QTF and played it religiously during my youth for 10 hours a day. My love for it was only matched by my hatred for TFC.

I guess the consensus is that i"ll probably like TF2?

Can I buy it direct off Steam now w/o getting HL2 E2?

Low Key 10-13-2007 02:54 PM

..Yes? I think you can.

capone0 10-13-2007 02:58 PM

TF2 is rediculously fun.

Autocratic 10-13-2007 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm going to download this today, I never played the first team fortress, but I likes CS a ton, I imagine I will like this. And we have agreed that the Orange Box is the best purchase even if we already have HL:2 and Lost Coast?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had Ep 1 also and still think it was a great buy.

Low Key 10-13-2007 04:50 PM

If you can 'share' your unused codes to activate a product with a friend, I wonder if you could 'sell' your code to someone else.. (I only owned HL2, nothing else, so this game, at $40, was a damn sexy deal to me. Especially if I can sell a HL2 code for like $5-10. To the internet forum where I actually do those kinds of transactions!)

TheSalche 10-13-2007 07:07 PM

XBL name: Impending d00m ... somebody please send me a friend request so I stop playing with total morons.

PITTM 10-13-2007 07:09 PM

Where are you seeing 40? It says 49.99 on mine? [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Low Key 10-13-2007 07:55 PM

$38 + tax. Circuit City. A few more hours at that price.

Low Key 10-13-2007 08:13 PM

Well.. This is discouraging.

Attempt #1: I adjust the settings to 'suck', start the game, <font color="white"> walk thru the first portal, go into the next room after that, stand on the floor button to drop the block thingy, pick it up, </font>and Windows locks up.

Attempt #2: <font color="white"> I flush the toilet, break the coffee mug, and chuck around the clipboard before walking thru the portal,</font> and then Windows locks up.

Anyone wanna buy a laptop?

Autocratic 10-13-2007 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well.. This is discouraging.

Attempt #1: I adjust the settings to 'suck', start the game, <font color="white"> walk thru the first portal, go into the next room after that, stand on the floor button to drop the block thingy, pick it up, </font>and Windows locks up.

Attempt #2: <font color="white"> I flush the toilet, break the coffee mug, and chuck around the clipboard before walking thru the portal,</font> and then Windows locks up.

Anyone wanna buy a laptop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you update your drivers? I had to before I could run TF2 without crashing.

kotkis 10-13-2007 10:26 PM

Best $50 I've ever spent.

Low Key 10-14-2007 01:04 AM

Yeah, after the first crash and reboot, I installed a newer gfx driver. To no avail. I've tried lower resolution, aspect ratios, and turning all the portal effects down to a bare minimum.

I wasn't even going to try to run HL2 on this anemic little machine, but I figured I'd at least be able to get Portal to work. (And it runs very smoothly while it lasts)

waffle 10-14-2007 12:31 PM

Try updating as much software as you can. Windows update, chipset drivers, etc. You can also use Steam to verify the game files from the game menu. If it's still locking up it sounds like a hardware problem. Perhaps there's too much heat, you have overclocked components, or the PSU isn't quite up to task.

PITTM 10-14-2007 01:39 PM

Just bought it on steam because I'm lazy. Hopefully I will be able to play some tonight.