Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask me about Starbucks (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=465760)

MrTrik 07-31-2007 05:47 PM

Re: Ask me about Starbucks

Nicejob CB. So far you've held your own.

JuntMonkey 07-31-2007 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FYI, if you're referring to Starbucks as SBUX to anyone other than your stockbroker, you're a [censored] [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice, I do this with a friend.

phage 07-31-2007 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guids, I think you're confusing yuppies and hippies. Pretty sure hippies are the ones who frequent the neighborhood coffeeshops, and wouldn't be caught dead patronizing the evil megacorporation Starbucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way man, i thought starbucks was hippy central, which of course I always found funny becuase as you say megacorp etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here in SF hippies hate Starbucks and insist that neighborhood coffee shops (and in a pinch Peets) are the way to go.

traz 07-31-2007 05:48 PM

peet's ftw

LocustHorde 07-31-2007 05:48 PM

Have you ever met the chairman, Charles Shultz, and if so, why did he give up on the Sonics and sell them to a hick from Oklahoma who is going to move them back to Oklahoma City?

Death Valley 07-31-2007 05:50 PM

When I worked in the city (Manhattan) a 16oz. coffee on the street was $1.25 (or 1.56 for 20 oz) a 20oz. at SBUX was $2.08

So starbucks cost 33.33% more but was IMO much better quality/tasting coffee and I got to add the milk and sugar myself so I always ended up with the perfect cup.... easily worth the extra 52 cents to me

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nicejob CB. So far you've held your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

guids 07-31-2007 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guids, I think you're confusing yuppies and hippies. Pretty sure hippies are the ones who frequent the neighborhood coffeeshops, and wouldn't be caught dead patronizing the evil megacorporation Starbucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

no way man, i thought starbucks was hippy central, which of course I always found funny becuase as you say megacorp etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here in SF hippies hate Starbucks and insist that neighborhood coffee shops (and in a pinch Peetes) are the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously? this blows my mind. Alright, I take EVERYTHING back, folgers is about 3.6 cents per cup, I am now fully prepared to buy a 1.60 cent cup of coffee, spending about 50 times more per cup than I should, just to stick it to the hippies.

El Diablo 07-31-2007 05:53 PM

LH,

Charles = Peanuts, Howard = Starbucks

El Diablo 07-31-2007 05:54 PM

quids,

"spending about 50 times more per cup than I should"

It's weird that you keep saying this. How are you able to handle going out for drinks or eating at a restaurant?

Vehn 07-31-2007 05:56 PM

Do you actually call yourself a "barista" or do you say "I work at starbucks"?

kidcolin 07-31-2007 05:56 PM

guids is awesome.

Badger 07-31-2007 05:58 PM

I've heard a friend cite UBB (Universal Beverage Base) as why he will never drink at Starbucks. What is it, and why is he repulsed by it.

I did not inquire further at the time he talked about it, or simply chose to ignore him, because he's kind of a bitch about a lot of stuff.

Paul B. 07-31-2007 05:58 PM

I have a friend who firmly believes you can get free Starbucks by using a $100 bill because employees are instructed not to break them. True/false?

guids 07-31-2007 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quids,

It's weird that you keep saying this. How are you able to handle going out for drinks or eating at a restaurant?

[/ QUOTE ]

I rarely pay for dinner and drinks becuase of my job, and imo there is a difference between 2 to 3 times too much, and 50 times too much. Plus, when you go out, you are paying for the atmosphere, company, and not having to prepare things yourself (which is easier than cooking at home), and I just think brewing and pouring a cup is easier than getting in the car, driving to a starbucks etc.

offTopic 07-31-2007 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliched comments re: Starbucks that really piss me off: "Starbucks! No way am I going to spend 4 bucks on a cup of coffee! LOL!"

First of all, a tall drip is $1.60, a grande is $1.75, and a venti is $1.85 (or somewhere in that range, depending on location). How is that anywhere close to 4 bucks?

Secondly, the drinks that ARE 4 bucks are espresso + flavor + extra crap drinks, which aren't made anywhere else for any lower price. People pay $4 for a smoothie or any other premium refreshment, how is $4 for a caramel macchiato w/ whip cream at all unreasonable?

Die.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this post caused ED to delete his post which I was responding to, which always causes me much confusion. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

punkass 07-31-2007 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quids,

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Do you never get breakfast at a diner? Those eggs could be bought for 10 cents!

Dids 07-31-2007 05:59 PM

Starbucks being hippy haven is so damn rofl.

Here in Seattle I'm pretty sure selling point for almost very hipppy coffee shop there is is basically "we're not Starbucks".

I dared to order a Venti something from some indie place and the snide [censored] got huffy at me for using Starbucks lingo.

El Diablo 07-31-2007 06:00 PM

CB,

Grade my coffee ordering:

50%: Large coffee
25%: Double espresso
12.5%: Double latte
10%: Double cappucino
2.5%: Large americano

guids 07-31-2007 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
quids,

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. Do you never get breakfast at a diner? Those eggs could be bought for 10 cents!

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost every morning, i go running, and stop at a breakfast place by my house. 2 sausages, 3 scambled eggs, and I can usually talk the waitress into a couple free tomato slices FOR 2.99!!!!!!!

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you actually call yourself a "barista" or do you say "I work at starbucks"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually say "I slang coffee." My actual title is Shift Supervisor. I would never refer to myself as a lowly Barista.

kutuz_off 07-31-2007 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Large americano

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone please explain "americano" to me? Is it just coffee with tepid tap water on top of it? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

El Diablo 07-31-2007 06:03 PM

quids,

Most people who get coffee don't go on a special trip to get it. Or, if they do, it is a desirable trip that lets them take a break and get out of the office.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard a friend cite UBB (Universal Beverage Base) as why he will never drink at Starbucks. What is it, and why is he repulsed by it.

I did not inquire further at the time he talked about it, or simply chose to ignore him, because he's kind of a bitch about a lot of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what's ridiculously worse about it than any other combination of random processed crap he probably eats on a daily basis. It's just a sugary cream powder that is mixed with nonfat milk in order to provide the base for all the Creme based Frappuccinos.

El Diablo 07-31-2007 06:07 PM

Vehn,

I think you need to work at an independent coffee shop to be a barista.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a friend who firmly believes you can get free Starbucks by using a $100 bill because employees are instructed not to break them. True/false?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of both. Depends on immediate availability of money, you dig? We'll ask for other forms of payment. Depending on the drink, (like 2 dollar coffee as opposed to 5 dollar whatever) I'll tell them "I got it this time." Usually people will break out the charge card when I tell them I can't break it. Certain baristas won't know how to react, and you might end up with no drink at all.

Death Valley 07-31-2007 06:08 PM

Yes, Americano is watered down espresso... I dont get it either ... may as well buy folgers ...lol

kidcolin 07-31-2007 06:09 PM

bob,

My friend claims to have met a barista on the train who modified his pin/nametag to look like this. He even claimed better tips with it. Any chance this would ever fly?

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4078/untitlediz2.png

Death Valley 07-31-2007 06:09 PM

Question for CB...
What percentage of customers ask for eXpresso
What percentage of coworkers sell eXpresso?

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CB,

Grade my coffee ordering:

50%: Large coffee
25%: Double espresso
12.5%: Double latte
10%: Double cappucino
2.5%: Large americano

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it. You order simplistic drinks that still taste good, and don't have a lot of [censored] modifiers. Also, I like the fact that you switch it up, rather than getting the same thing every time. I've seen people daily order the same thing for months at a time, and I don't understand it. Try some variety!

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I dared to order a Venti something from some indie place and the snide [censored] got huffy at me for using Starbucks lingo.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kind of attitude is hilarious to me. The flipside is a Starbucks barista giving a huffy "Did you mean Venti?" to a request for a large. Where's the human decency?

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
quids,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost every morning, i go running, and stop at a breakfast place by my house. 2 sausages, 3 scambled eggs, and I can usually talk the waitress into a couple free tomato slices FOR 2.99!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

guids,

We know you're a badass, but this is my time to shine! Quit mucking around in my thread!

WayAbvPar 07-31-2007 06:13 PM

I must be serious yuppie scum- I hit Starbucks twice before 9:30 am today. First on my way in- came in early and needed some breakfast/coffee. 2 hours later, hot office chick wants to walk down and get coffee. Who am I to say no?

Aloysius 07-31-2007 06:13 PM

CB - I stopped going to Starbucks a while ago because 1) there's a Coffee Bean on my way to work; 2) there's a Coffee Bean on my work campus.

My question to you (and I guess anyone else) - is it worth the extra 0.5 mile trip to hit up a Starbucks instead? Haven't had it in a while, so can't remember if the coffee is any good (that's all I order).

Thanks.

-Al

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Large americano

[/ QUOTE ]

Can someone please explain "americano" to me? Is it just coffee with tepid tap water on top of it? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aight.

If you're a dumb American, and you went to Italy back in the day and ordered coffee, you would get shots of Espresso. You would then be like "Where's the rest of it????"

So, the Americano was invented. It's shots of espresso, diluted with hot water to simulate standard drip coffee.

guids 07-31-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
quids,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

guids,

We know you're a badass, but this is my time to shine! Quit mucking around in my thread!

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry bob, this is such an incredible deal I had to tell someone, Ill keep it on track from now on.

I dont think you ever answered what kind of drink you usually get.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vehn,

I think you need to work at an independent coffee shop to be a barista.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are people who hold the title of Barista at Starbucks, in case I confused anyone with my jokey response earlier. I'm just not one.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bob,

My friend claims to have met a barista on the train who modified his pin/nametag to look like this. He even claimed better tips with it. Any chance this would ever fly?

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4078/untitlediz2.png

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I don't believe that to be true. I can see it working/getting you better tips if you worked at an independent coffee shop, but there's no way he wore that at an actual Starbucks for more than an hour.

kidcolin 07-31-2007 06:17 PM

yeah I didn't buy it either and called my friend a liar. He was pretty angry with me.

ClassicBob 07-31-2007 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Question for CB...
What percentage of customers ask for eXpresso
What percentage of coworkers sell eXpresso?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. Huge pet peeve of mine. Most customers are relatively savvy, but I'd still say about 25% of customers will still say eXpresso.

I've only heard one coworker refer to it as eXpresso. I made fun of her lots.