Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Mayweather calls out UFC and MMA as a whole... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=396963)

mason55 05-08-2007 03:53 PM

Re: Mayweather calls out UFC and MMA as a whole...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Qiu0KoJ-0

Mayweather, 50, and Lloyd Banks (and lots of big booty bitches) after the fight and 50's $1mil win.

Hoya 05-08-2007 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah thats my point, the grappling is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the sport. It isn't kickboxing.

ThaSaltCracka 05-08-2007 04:10 PM

Eh, its mixed martial arts. Kickboxing and boxing certainly are part of that. I said it numerous times already, I hate the ground game and the submissions. Its like watching collegiate wrestling, thrilling stuff!

KDawg 05-08-2007 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, its mixed martial arts. Kickboxing and boxing certainly are part of that. I said it numerous times already, I hate the ground game and the submissions. Its like watching collegiate wrestling, thrilling stuff!

[/ QUOTE ]

and with you wanting shorter rounds, the grappling may as well be eliminated and it just be called, mixed stand up arts. Obviously you haven't seen a good ground match and are just associating lay and pray with what a good ground game is

Assani Fisher 05-08-2007 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Why do pro athletes try hard in the playoffs when the playoff bonus money is so insignificant compared to their normal salaries? Its because many world class athletes love competition and want to prove that they are the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong, there is a lot of money at stake for the players during the playoffs of every pro sport. A great or poor playoff performance can have a huge effect on that players next contract, endorsements, tv ads, everything. They aren't just doing it for the love of the game, although of course thats a factor, they also know that if they put in a great performance they will get a lot more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so what about an athlete that is set to retire after this year? Do you think he tries during the playoffs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course he tries. Obviously guys that are playing their last couple games are going to be inspired.

I never said that stuff like pride competition didn't motivate players, it does. I said that one of the reasons they put forth extra effort in the playoffs is because there is a lot of money at stake. It's just wrong to say that the money differential between different playoff finishes is "insignificant". It's large.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair point. I guess all I'm saying is this:

If FM truly belived that he could beat a MMA fighter in a MMA fight and he saw that he had many doubters, I don't think that he'd worry too much about money. Hes already filthy rich. Theres a certain pride factor that most pro athletes have that if you say they can't do something and they truly believe that they can that they'd set out to prove you wrong.

ThaSaltCracka 05-08-2007 04:41 PM

KDawg, I have seen plenty of UFC. Surely one of the many fights I have seen can be classified as a good ground game. SURELY. Maybe ground game isn't my bag, I just find it all boring. Too much stalling. The only time its even mildly exiciting is when there are reversals. Maybe the ability to pin someone would make it more exciting.

Assani Fisher 05-08-2007 04:41 PM

I actually like it with no rounds and no time limit- makes it more like a real fight.

Of course you have to stand them up if they're stalling on the ground.

KDawg 05-08-2007 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KDawg, I have seen plenty of UFC. Surely one of the many fights I have seen can be classified as a good ground game. SURELY. Maybe ground game isn't my bag, I just find it all boring. Too much stalling. The only time its even mildly exiciting is when there are reversals. Maybe the ability to pin someone would make it more exciting.

[/ QUOTE ]

did u see the Kendall Grove/Ed Herman TuF final or the Nick Diaz/Karo Parisyan match from the past year. BOth of those are what I would consider great ground matches that have been done recently. If you have seen those and didn't get exicited in them,then, I don't know

ThaSaltCracka 05-08-2007 05:15 PM

surely I can be wrong. I did not see either. or maybe I did and don't remember the names.

MikeyPatriot 05-08-2007 05:39 PM

If you've only seen UFC, that's probably a reason why you find the ground game boring. NSAC rules don't allow for knees or kicks to the head of a downed opponent or stomps. I don't think the kicks/stomps are a big deal, but not allowing knees to the head takes a lot out of the ground game.

You might want to try and check out some Pride, specifically Fedor, LDO.

ThaSaltCracka 05-08-2007 05:49 PM

Mikey, while attempting to prove me wrong(which you did) you also proved my point. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

jstnrgrs 05-08-2007 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i dont get the 3 5 minute rounds. imo its an awful structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would use one twenty minute round.

Wu36 05-08-2007 06:29 PM

I like the 10 min 1st round 5 min 2nd and 3rd.

Figured I'd link to some clips of exciting grapplers posters may not have seen before. These might not be the best videos but they'll serve as an intro.

Imanari: Leglock artist, not much else. Thats Jorge Gurgel he taps last.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ldw-TFeZqY
Genki Sudo (UFC vet, well known but this video pwns so I'm posting it, also its sub wrestling not MMA.) All around great fighter, retired now.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iBkWpILNjRs
Rumina Sato: More sub wrestling, good fighter, pulled off a flying armbar in MMA.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HZhLAupMHqU
Baret Yoshida: sick sub artist, not too successful at mma.
heres his flying armbar vs megaton diaz.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Iws5shXAXFk
Tyrone Glover: Excellent grappler, been tearing it up in mma
http://youtube.com/watch?v=l3JDNc04pAo

Enson Inoue vs Big Nog: Nog is disgusting.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OmuFaf4MAfQ
Saku vs Carlos Newton
http://youtube.com/watch?v=yoIsYrEnbLk

Marcelo Garcia: Apparently going to debut in MMA soon, but no reason needed, hes like Antonious in the BJJ world.
http://www.ikusa.fr/encapsulation.ph...lay&id=164
http://www.ikusa.fr/encapsulation.ph...play&id=43
couple random training vids, youtube has most of his big matches

jstnrgrs 05-08-2007 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I would have the rule that if the fight isn't ended before time runs out, it counts as a loss for both fighters. This would eliminate the questions of how fights should be judged, and would create very exciting fights.

I actually like the rate at which the UFC has stand ups, and I think everyone else stands up too quickly. I think if they used the system I am sugesting, there would be almost no need for stand-ups, and that is good because it is in keeping with the spirit of MMA.

DonkeyKongSr 05-08-2007 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I would have the rule that if the fight isn't ended before time runs out, it counts as a loss for both fighters. This would eliminate the questions of how fights should be judged, and would create very exciting fights.

I actually like the rate at which the UFC has stand ups, and I think everyone else stands up too quickly. I think if they used the system I am sugesting, there would be almost no need for stand-ups, and that is good because it is in keeping with the spirit of MMA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone would have horrendous records. Fedor would go from 20-1 to 13-8. Liddell would go from 20-3 to 15-8.

Plus, this means champions just need to stall for 5 rounds if they can't be beat by decision, unless you are suggested the title be vacated after every championship fight that goes 5 rounds.

jstnrgrs 05-08-2007 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you use?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone would have horrendous records. Fedor would go from 20-1 to 13-8. Liddell would go from 20-3 to 15-8.

Plus, this means champions just need to stall for 5 rounds if they can't be beat by decision, unless you are suggested the title be vacated after every championship fight that goes 5 rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, as I said in my previous post, I wouldn't have rounds, just a time limit (about 20 or 30 minutes). I think that under this system, few fights would go the distance, so peoples records wouldn't be as bad as you suggest. (Also, what matters is relative records. If your record is 15-8, and that is the best record out there, than that would be an excellent record.)

I think vacating the title if there is no winner is a good idea, but I don't really care. Titles are a joke in mma (and boxing), so I don't really care about them.

ThaSaltCracka 05-09-2007 02:20 AM

Man, its great watching guys who are comfortable on their back.

Probably the lamest/gayest [censored] to watch in the ring.

ThaSaltCracka 05-09-2007 02:35 AM

BTW, just so its apparent I am not a hater, Sudo was tight.

swingdoc 05-09-2007 11:18 AM

Jstnrgrs -

so you want to go back to the way UFC originally did fight lengths (i.e. till someone wins)? There were some epic bouts in the first 4-8 UFC's, but the gaming commissions obviously weren't up for the appearance of such barbarism. If you'll remember, UFC was widely banned because of fight length, no gloves, too few rules, etc. The sport gained true legitimacy by accepting more mainstream rules, there's no way they're throwing those out now. Not to mention, no fighting sport would create a situation where their best fighters have terrible records, as casual fans are impressed by good looking fight records.

jstnrgrs 05-09-2007 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jstnrgrs -

so you want to go back to the way UFC originally did fight lengths (i.e. till someone wins)? There were some epic bouts in the first 4-8 UFC's, but the gaming commissions obviously weren't up for the appearance of such barbarism. If you'll remember, UFC was widely banned because of fight length, no gloves, too few rules, etc. The sport gained true legitimacy by accepting more mainstream rules, there's no way they're throwing those out now. Not to mention, no fighting sport would create a situation where their best fighters have terrible records, as casual fans are impressed by good looking fight records.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I understand the need for safety rules, so I am not suggesting that the bring back head butts, or kicks to downed opponents. I actually think it would be safer if the figheters fought without gloves, but that doesn't matter to me.

I don't think having rounds helps to make the fight safer, so I wish they would just have one time limit. There should be a time limit, because if a fight can go long enough, it can become excessively dangerous.

My idea of counting a fight that goes to the limit as a loss was just an idea to get fighters to finish the fight. I think this would work better than stalling warnings. However, a more realistic answer might be to have fights that go the distance count as draws.

Fights like sanchez/koshcheck and the last arlovsky fight will kill the sport if they don't do something about them.

BTW, if you want the fighters to have impressive records, then they should just count each win as 10 wins. That would dazzel the moronic casual fans to whom you refer.

Richard Tanner 05-09-2007 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm squarely with TSC here. I used to watch UFC back in the Shamrock/Tank Abbot days and thought it was fine. Lots of submissions and lots of head to head boxing stuff. Then the rules changed because they considered it "Barbarism" (pssh, pussies) and now all I see is a few punches, follewed buy the guys going to the ground and hugging for a while, not very exciting.

Is there a division or specific fights that I could see to really change my perception.

Cody

jstnrgrs 05-09-2007 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm squarely with TSC here. I used to watch UFC back in the Shamrock/Tank Abbot days and thought it was fine. Lots of submissions and lots of head to head boxing stuff. Then the rules changed because they considered it "Barbarism" (pssh, pussies) and now all I see is a few punches, follewed buy the guys going to the ground and hugging for a while, not very exciting.

Is there a division or specific fights that I could see to really change my perception.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like grappling, then I'd say that MMA is not the sport for you. I'd recomend some form of kickboxing or something.

I love the grappling, and I find it very interesting.

Richard Tanner 05-09-2007 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't like grappling, then I'd say that MMA is not the sport for you. I'd recomend some form of kickboxing or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that I'm anti-grapple. As I said, I loved Ken Shamrock who was a great grappler, he could get people into submissions before they knew they were fighting, but what I see now isn't grappling. A better description might be cuddling.

Cody

KDawg 05-09-2007 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that I'm anti-grapple. As I said, I loved Ken Shamrock who was a great grappler, he could get people into submissions before they knew they were fighting, but what I see now isn't grappling. A better description might be cuddling.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

shamrock was able to put people in those submissions because they weren't familiar with them for the most part. The heel hook he put Kimo in when they had that superfight was pretty basic stuff. It's harder to get a guy in a submission these days because fighters are much more familiar with ground defense then they were 10 years ago

bernie 05-10-2007 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually think it would be safer if the figheters fought without gloves, but that doesn't matter to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

The gloves are there to protect the hands and wrists. W/o them, they could really affect a fighters longevity.

Again, a lesson learned from early boxing.

b

Rick305 05-11-2007 02:03 PM

Floyd Mayweather VS Chuck Liddel

in a boxing ring

who wins?

Jcrew 05-11-2007 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

”HUGE” BOXER VS. MMA BOUT COMING SOON!

After Dana White, the UFC czar, said he’d offer Mayweather a bucket full of money to fight Sean Sherk, their 145-155 lb. champion, Duva stepped forward and said that IBF 147 lb. champ Kermit Cintron would be willing to fight the 33-year old Sherk. At 35-2-1, Sherk is a “ground and pound” guy. Cintron, now 27 years old is 27-1 with 25 KOs. White is said to “not” be interested in a Cintron vs. Sherk match. In Dave Meltzer’s latest Wrestling Observer newsletter (www.WrestlingObserver.com), Dave is saying that 1988 Olympic boxing champ Ray Mercer, now 46 years old, (34-6-1, 24 KOs) will soon fight MMA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link

MuresanForMVP 05-11-2007 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Floyd Mayweather VS Chuck Liddel

in a boxing ring

who wins?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mayweather...next question