Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   200/400 hand vs. sbrubgy 6 handed (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=388916)

riverboatking 04-27-2007 08:45 PM

Re: 200/400 hand vs. sbrubgy 6 handed

[ QUOTE ]
I like this post.

I have a question. If we held AA here, does that change much or are we going to assume that Aba is not overbetting a hand for value that isn't a minimum of trip 9s?

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i think a 9 is one of the least likely hands for villian.
i would say that AA is a very likely holding for the villian as well as bottom set.
but i have a hard time putting him on a 9.

whitelime 04-27-2007 09:07 PM

There were maybe 6-7 good posts in this entire thread and the rest were garbage. Whoever suggested something about him having trip 9's what are you smoking? The 9o is quite possibly the absolute best card for my hand.

I think what this hand is really about is psychology. My hand is fairly faceup though I have a tendency to get tricky but sbrugby probably hasn't seen this yet. So it's just a matter of whether he's trying to push me off a K or making it seem that way in the hopes that I call.

riverboatking 04-27-2007 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There were maybe 6-7 good posts in this entire thread and the rest were garbage. Whoever suggested something about him having trip 9's what are you smoking? The 9o is quite possibly the absolute best card for my hand.

I think what this hand is really about is psychology. My hand is fairly faceup though I have a tendency to get tricky but sbrugby probably hasn't seen this yet. So it's just a matter of whether he's trying to push me off a K or making it seem that way in the hopes that I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

results?

YouMyBoy 04-27-2007 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand how he couldn't be betting trip 9's or a boat that just got there with the river 9.
Can anyone explain why he thinks this is such a great card?

whitelime 04-27-2007 10:06 PM

stinger, philledingue, jman, and rbk made good posts and i pretty much agree with their thought processes. Bld, I dont understand why just b/c my hand is facup that he has me beat to make that bet? Sure there's the whole concept of omg if youre inducing a bluff you can't fold, but this isn't sklansky hold'em

JMa 04-27-2007 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand how he couldn't be betting trip 9's or a boat that just got there with the river 9.
Can anyone explain why he thinks this is such a great card?

[/ QUOTE ]

sbrugby most likely wont c/r a lone 9 on the turn

BLdSWtTRs 04-27-2007 10:35 PM

This is such an extremely easy fold it ain't even close.

I doubt that more than 5% of his overbets on the river are with losing hands, especially against an unknown. He probably takes a line similar to this with the c/r on turn and river overbet once every 3000 hands.

If you had trip 9s then it would be a tough decision because he may have you outkicked. But if you had a nine it would be far less likely he had a nine so it would probably be barely a call. But for this hand he probably has a set, slowplayed aa, ak, trips 9s, bluff(5%) in that order.

greg nice 04-27-2007 10:50 PM

if youre gonna fold id fold to the c/r turn

twp saying that the line is fine until the river call is faulty imo

check turn is still best play after checking flop vs a solid winner

aba20 04-27-2007 11:24 PM

FullTiltPoker Game #2270050786: Table Dawn (deep 6) - $150/$300 - No Limit Hold'em - 3:35:10 ET - 2007/04/23
Seat 2: The Gift of Gab ($110,044.50)
Seat 6: sbrugby ($78,845)
The Gift of Gab posts the small blind of $150
sbrugby posts the big blind of $300
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sbrugby [5s Ks]
The Gift of Gab raises to $900
sbrugby calls $600
*** FLOP *** [8d Qd 7s]
sbrugby checks
The Gift of Gab checks
*** TURN *** [8d Qd 7s] [2c]
sbrugby checks
The Gift of Gab bets $1,800
sbrugby raises to $7,200
The Gift of Gab calls $5,400
*** RIVER *** [8d Qd 7s 2c] [4c]
sbrugby bets $32,000
The Gift of Gab has 15 seconds left to act
The Gift of Gab calls $32,000
*** SHOW DOWN ***
sbrugby shows [5s Ks] (King Queen high)
The Gift of Gab shows [8c Td] (a pair of Eights)
The Gift of Gab wins the pot ($80,199.50) with a pair of Eights
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $80,200 | Rake $0.50
Board: [8d Qd 7s 2c 4c]
Seat 2: The Gift of Gab (small blind) showed [8c Td] and won ($80,199.50) with a pair of Eights
Seat 6: sbrugby (big blind) showed [5s Ks] and lost with King Queen high

FullTiltPoker Game #2102465355: Table Canfield (6 max) - $200/$400 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:51:30 ET - 2007/03/30
Seat 3: sbrugby ($72,596)
Seat 4: Urindanger ($45,399)
Seat 5: KOMIJENDO ($82,794.50)
KOMIJENDO posts the small blind of $200
sbrugby posts the big blind of $400
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sbrugby [Js Qh]
Urindanger raises to $1,400
KOMIJENDO folds
sbrugby calls $1,000
*** FLOP *** [Ts Ah 2d]
sbrugby checks
Urindanger checks
*** TURN *** [Ts Ah 2d] [7s]
sbrugby checks
Urindanger bets $2,800
sbrugby raises to $9,200
Urindanger calls $6,400
*** RIVER *** [Ts Ah 2d 7s] [6h]
sbrugby bets $20,800
Urindanger calls $20,800
*** SHOW DOWN ***
sbrugby shows [Js Qh] (Ace Queen high)
Urindanger shows [4s Ad] (a pair of Aces)
Urindanger wins the pot ($62,999) with a pair of Aces
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $63,000 | Rake $1
Board: [Ts Ah 2d 7s 6h]
Seat 3: sbrugby (big blind) showed [Js Qh] and lost with Ace Queen high
Seat 4: Urindanger (button) showed [4s Ad] and won ($62,999) with a pair of Aces
Seat 5: KOMIJENDO (small blind) folded before the Flop

I think its a good call. I agree there is a ton of really bad advise in this thread. I personally think Stinger's is the best advice.

Jman28 04-27-2007 11:26 PM

Bld,

This is the first time, that I can remember, that I've ever really disagreed with a post of yours.

[ QUOTE ]

I doubt that more than 5% of his overbets on the river are with losing hands, especially against an unknown.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you that against unknowns he likely doesn't bluff like this often, but whitelime isn't an unknown. I think he's bluffing here close to 25%.

If he expects whitelime to call a PSB, which I think he does, he probably won't bluff for pot. That means when he has air, he'll either check or make bets like this often.

[ QUOTE ]
But for this hand he probably has a set, slowplayed aa, ak, trips 9s, bluff(5%) in that order.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this hand is most likely a set/two pair turn boat, then bluff (25%ish), then AA/AK/trip 9s all with <3% each.

Obviously from those #s, I still think it's a fold, but I think it's not as clear as you seem to think.

durrrr 04-27-2007 11:48 PM

a call is a lot better on 974k9 than 975k9 fwiw(w/ soots the same).

Moonshine 04-28-2007 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aba knows you have to fold 2/3 of the time to make a bluff here profitable. he also obviously knows you have a K. you're a thinking player who is capable of making a big call down here. i dont think he would ever think he could get you to fold more than 2/3 of the time here...

i'd lay it down

[/ QUOTE ]
best argument for laying it down so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks bro!!!

ActionJeff 04-28-2007 03:31 AM

lol@ people randomly throwing out numbers/frequencies

I basically agree with blds post though.

Goodplayerguy: cbetting flop is bad cause we get [censored] on far too often and cant 3bet all in
Goodplayerguy: but that also makes cbetting turn bad because of aba's tight rangein sb
Jeff: disagree completely he absolutely has to c bet flop
Jeff: because abas range doesnt even connect with that flop often
Goodplayerguy: i think aba tries to [censored] a lot though
Jeff: and the ev of checking is very low
Jeff: i dont
Jeff: he may tend to c/r this flop frequently
Jeff: but in general i think the ev of betting is so much higher than checking
Jeff: and because we cant even v bet turns with kings, like u said
Jeff: i think we need to just bet bet bet
Goodplayerguy: good point
Jeff: hands that dont improve
Jeff: now
Jeff: if this was vs patrik or someone
Jeff: who frequently has 89s or w/e
Jeff: its way tougher
Goodplayerguy: i guess i we are going to check
Goodplayerguy: we must must must be bluff raising a donk bet by aba
Goodplayerguy: if we miss
Jeff: which seems retarded
Goodplayerguy: yes it does
Jeff: like, that cant be good ever, giving up/playing to improve and go to showdown has to be better anyway
Goodplayerguy: so youre right
Goodplayerguy: gotta cbet
Goodplayerguy: and if he [censored] who cares we have a hand here enough so that its ok
Goodplayerguy: that he [censored] occasionally
Jeff: hes oop
Jeff: hes only calling oop
Jeff: because he can profitably play a certain range oop
Jeff: and has to call some of the time cuz he would be forced to play fewer hands if he was only 3 betting
Goodplayerguy: yeah
Jeff: so im not gonna freeze up there usually
Jeff: idk result

other convo:

Aaron: (1) might be wrong
but like, in this specific situation
maybe the long run doesnt matter
maybe u shouldnt even worry
about how good whitelime is
and how u need to be unexploitable
maybe the best way to beat whitelime when deciding whether or not to overbet here
is the same way u beat some random idiot

given all the reads u have
at the moment
might the most profitable way
be either

a) always bluff 100% this time or b) bluff close to 0% of your hands
depending on whether aba thinks whitelime will call or fold RIGHT NOW
and further
here is the interesting part
what if
all we have to do
is choose between a) or b)
maybe some or all top players
are just really [censored] good at choosing between a) and b)
THOUGHTS?

Jeffrey: idk im scared

Aaron: i think it's a terrifying idea

Not that this isn't a great thread, but this wouldn't have happened if whitelime just bet the damn flop

-Jeff

Mench 04-28-2007 03:54 AM

results? I think a railbird posted them and then they were taken down?

riverboatking 04-28-2007 05:27 AM

are you trying to imply that your tendencies when playing HU and 3 handed vs regulars are the same as when playing 6 handed vs someone taking a shot?

i'm not sure that posting 2 hands out of the thousands that you play is going to convice us that you are overbet bluffing in this spot frequently given the said game dynamics.

however i'd be very interested to hear the results in this hand...and also would be very interested in hearing if i am making faulty assumptions.

pete fabrizio 04-28-2007 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aba knows you have to fold 2/3 of the time to make a bluff here profitable. he also obviously knows you have a K. you're a thinking player who is capable of making a big call down here. i dont think he would ever think he could get you to fold more than 2/3 of the time here...

i'd lay it down

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks bro!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think this is a pretty strong argument. I don't think brian would try to overbet bluff here where (as this thread can attest) a lot of very good players will have the urge to call.

shawny boy 04-28-2007 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i'd lay it down

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks bro!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I also think this is a pretty strong argument. I don't think brian would try to overbet bluff here where (as this thread can attest) a lot of very good players will have the urge to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm not a respected HSNL poster, but it seems like this is not the case.

If Brian really does routinely make this play both for value and as a bluff he seems to be accomplishing two important goals of someone who is comfortably bankrolled for the big game.

1) he is keeping the pressure on his opponent by forcing them to make big decisions.

2) by overbetting he is effectively raising the stakes of the game.

I don't think Brian is trying to specifically optimize against specific opponents - trying to induce a call here and and fold against someone else using the same betting pattern based on a read. rather it seems likely that he is attempting in all cases to maintain initiative, force opponents to call too frequently and increase the stakes in a game where he feels he has an edge.

Pudge714 04-28-2007 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this because you think aba can turn 56/68 into a bluff? Or he can take this line with the nuts? Or both? If you don't want to post because you are giving up too much information, I will respect your decision.

whitelime 04-28-2007 11:43 AM

for those of you who don't understand what aba's post is about, he's basically saying that he is willing to double check-raise in spots where the other player's hand is fairly face-up and a one pair-ish type hand

edited to add also that he will follow up w/ a strong river bluff...

igetbadbeat 04-28-2007 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this because you think aba can turn 56/68 into a bluff? Or he can take this line with the nuts? Or both? If you don't want to post because you are giving up too much information, I will respect your decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was curious about this as well. As far as I could see...I assumed aba's OOP range is equally as dangerous/harmless on either one of those flops.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 04-28-2007 01:34 PM

now everyone has to figure out if aba is gonna use this threaad to overbet the nuts or to bluff again because you expect him to have the nuts now that this thread came up.

Lefort 04-28-2007 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for those of you who don't understand what aba's post is about, he's basically saying that he is willing to double check-raise in spots where the other player's hand is fairly face-up and a one pair-ish type hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was in the "call" group when I first read it and still (stubbornly) was after reading all of these great players advocating a fold. Basically I just feel like the turn is a GREAT card for him to CR a draw or even air, and that there are a ton more combinations of those than a set/2pr. And even with sets and 2pr's I think he might lead the flop/turn a certain percentage of the time making that range slightly smaller. Then when the river bricks I just feel like Brian is thinking that WL is planning to call any river bet on a brick, so to get him to lay it down he's going to need to make an overbet. Ofcourse this doesn't get into levelling, but I'm a [censored] calling station so I call.. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

r3vbr 04-28-2007 02:09 PM

High stakes pros bluff. I call.

xxThe_Lebowskixx 04-28-2007 02:35 PM

results?

igetbadbeat 04-28-2007 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
results?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's one situation where i don't care what the results are although I think whitelime folded and semi-regrets it.

Daddy Warbucks 04-28-2007 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
results?

[/ QUOTE ]

In white:

<font color="white">Whitelime called, Aba showed AA </font>

RiverFenix 04-28-2007 05:14 PM

How can people discount a 9 to less than 5%? Theyre plenty of 9Xdd hands that could take this line, no? Unless aba is more inclined to look to lead/3b them on the flop.

ArmenH 04-28-2007 05:54 PM

So, based on Aba's historical tendencies, he usually has air in this spot..Your hand was never face up. KJ, doesn't bet 1,200 on the turn here. That bet looks like an attempt to just steal the pot or maybe you picked up a club draw or straight draw or both on turn. Aba knows your bet doesn't show strength and simply exploited you. River pairing the board didn't complete any draws so he over bet pot w/o a hand expecting your missed draw to muck. Pretty standard.
Why didn't you continuation bet the flop? Or when Aba checked to you on 4th street why the weak bet?

pplayer28 04-28-2007 06:54 PM

Seems like a perfect spot to overbet the pot as aba did. Just another reason portraying why aba dominates the high stakes games, he mixes it up flawlessly and executed this hand to perfection against whitelime.

IMO, it is definitely one of those situational hands where very rarely will aba get raised making that bet (assume only a fh raises), yet a weaker hand will feel so inclined to call and pay him off from the absolute creativity of the line while still pinning whitelime on his hand. Well played by aba, and whitelime, hell of a tough call/fold - flip coin deffff.

fslexcduck 04-28-2007 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FullTiltPoker Game #2270050786: Table Dawn (deep 6) - $150/$300 - No Limit Hold'em - 3:35:10 ET - 2007/04/23
Seat 2: The Gift of Gab ($110,044.50)
Seat 6: sbrugby ($78,845)
The Gift of Gab posts the small blind of $150
sbrugby posts the big blind of $300
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sbrugby [5s Ks]
The Gift of Gab raises to $900
sbrugby calls $600
*** FLOP *** [8d Qd 7s]
sbrugby checks
The Gift of Gab checks
*** TURN *** [8d Qd 7s] [2c]
sbrugby checks
The Gift of Gab bets $1,800
sbrugby raises to $7,200
The Gift of Gab calls $5,400
*** RIVER *** [8d Qd 7s 2c] [4c]
sbrugby bets $32,000
The Gift of Gab has 15 seconds left to act
The Gift of Gab calls $32,000
*** SHOW DOWN ***
sbrugby shows [5s Ks] (King Queen high)
The Gift of Gab shows [8c Td] (a pair of Eights)
The Gift of Gab wins the pot ($80,199.50) with a pair of Eights
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $80,200 | Rake $0.50
Board: [8d Qd 7s 2c 4c]
Seat 2: The Gift of Gab (small blind) showed [8c Td] and won ($80,199.50) with a pair of Eights
Seat 6: sbrugby (big blind) showed [5s Ks] and lost with King Queen high

FullTiltPoker Game #2102465355: Table Canfield (6 max) - $200/$400 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:51:30 ET - 2007/03/30
Seat 3: sbrugby ($72,596)
Seat 4: Urindanger ($45,399)
Seat 5: KOMIJENDO ($82,794.50)
KOMIJENDO posts the small blind of $200
sbrugby posts the big blind of $400
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sbrugby [Js Qh]
Urindanger raises to $1,400
KOMIJENDO folds
sbrugby calls $1,000
*** FLOP *** [Ts Ah 2d]
sbrugby checks
Urindanger checks
*** TURN *** [Ts Ah 2d] [7s]
sbrugby checks
Urindanger bets $2,800
sbrugby raises to $9,200
Urindanger calls $6,400
*** RIVER *** [Ts Ah 2d 7s] [6h]
sbrugby bets $20,800
Urindanger calls $20,800
*** SHOW DOWN ***
sbrugby shows [Js Qh] (Ace Queen high)
Urindanger shows [4s Ad] (a pair of Aces)
Urindanger wins the pot ($62,999) with a pair of Aces
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $63,000 | Rake $1
Board: [Ts Ah 2d 7s 6h]
Seat 3: sbrugby (big blind) showed [Js Qh] and lost with Ace Queen high
Seat 4: Urindanger (button) showed [4s Ad] and won ($62,999) with a pair of Aces
Seat 5: KOMIJENDO (small blind) folded before the Flop

I think its a good call. I agree there is a ton of really bad advise in this thread. I personally think Stinger's is the best advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

brian, come on... i know you are trying to make a point that you can show up with a bluff here... but really? in both of these two hands, very reasonable draws completed on the river whereas in this hand, almost a complete blank fell. are you honestly implying that these situations are the same?

i really think vs someone with whom you do not have a ton of history, you do not expect that person to fold for an overbet at least 2/3 of the time when a blank falls on the river . do you have any hand histories you want to dig up where you bluff in this situation to prove me wrong?

BLdSWtTRs 04-28-2007 07:29 PM

Lol, so it looks like Aba gave one example of overbet bluffing with that same line and he has probably only done it once this entire month.
The 2nd example doesn't count because the bet size is so small. The river bet is only 2/3 of the pot. Maybe I'll turn up my bluff weight to 10% for that particular hand but that still makes this hand a fairly easy fold.

And for those saying he should automatically bet the flop, he's going to get exploited if he c-bets that type of board too often with that type of hand.

Moonshine 04-28-2007 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure aba has the ability to do this. i'm sure one of his other skills though is creating the illusion that he does this far far more than he actually does...

in the long run i dont think you can profitably call here against his range. that's irrelevant of course if you know something we don't know because you're at the table and better able to gauge the flow of the game, everyone's mood, etc...

bustowithnobra 04-28-2007 09:08 PM

I would try first and formost to read what his bet is saying. Plz, plz get a read here. He can do all these things with every type of hand, but look what his bet's saying.

PHiLLeDINGUE 04-28-2007 11:30 PM

Now that I saw results, wow vnh !! It make perfect sense for Aba to over bet. There's an other reason for that bet, not only it look like "it want to fold him so he'll see that as a bluff and call with a K", but it protect him from being bluff !! say he bets 2/3 and WL pushes... he's in a tough spot...

Moonshine 04-28-2007 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that I saw results, wow vnh !! It make perfect sense for Aba to over bet. There's an other reason for that bet, not only it look like "it want to fold him so he'll see that as a bluff and call with a K", but it protect him from being bluff !! say he bets 2/3 and WL pushes... he's in a tough spot...

[/ QUOTE ]

phil are you on crack?

i ask this because i think you're a pretty sick player and that last statement blew my mind...

or maybe it was a joke. i dont even know anymore

ArmenH 04-29-2007 12:04 AM

Results were never posted, were they?

ActionJeff 04-29-2007 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lol, so it looks like Aba gave one example of overbet bluffing with that same line and he has probably only done it once this entire month.
The 2nd example doesn't count because the bet size is so small. The river bet is only 2/3 of the pot. Maybe I'll turn up my bluff weight to 10% for that particular hand but that still makes this hand a fairly easy fold.

And for those saying he should automatically bet the flop, he's going to get exploited if he c-bets that type of board too often with that type of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Tears,

(1) how often qualifies as too often?

(2) It seems very relevant that sbrugby rarely calls with a low-mid suited connector in the sb here. Considering this and that hero loses this pot the vast majority of the time that he checks behind on this flop, shouldn't he be c betting hands like KJ most of the time? I think you may be underestimating how often aba has a suited broadway type hand vs a mid-big pair?

-Jeff

legend42 04-29-2007 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Results were never posted, were they?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go up to Daddy Warbucks' reply, and highlight the invisible text.

I think this hand was masterfully played by aba, and well played by whitelime, too. Turn and river came almost perfect-perfect for Brian.

urubu111 04-29-2007 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
results?

[/ QUOTE ]

In white:

<font color="white">Whitelime called, Aba showed AA </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
results??

ps; aba had AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

lets play hu aba? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bottomset 04-29-2007 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

phil are you on crack?

i ask this because i think you're a pretty sick player and that last statement blew my mind...

or maybe it was a joke. i dont even know anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

pot on the river is 16k, effective stacks left around 40k
2/3rds pot is 10.5k

is it a snap call with AA if WL shoves for ~30k more?