Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Hi (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=351354)

Skidoo 03-11-2007 04:31 AM

Re: A spectre haunts 2+2

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3 more mods.... nothing personal, I just didn't want to see any.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, this must be the most moderated forum of all 2p2.

[/ QUOTE ]What are they afraid of? An insurrection starting from 2+2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seditious writers and young rakes.

Borodog 03-11-2007 06:26 PM

Re: Hi

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to add to this. Vigorous debate is a part of politics, but everyone must remember that you aren't going to convince that many people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it appears the new regime's goal of squelching the postings by the only group to demonstrably, repeatedly convince many other people is well under way.

[ QUOTE ]
Many people are certain enough that their position is the correct one that they believe anyone that disagrees with them must be stupid. I can assure you this isn't the case; there are many smart people that disagree with other smart people. After you state your case there is no reason to repeat the same thing over and over in one thread, so please don't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my professional capacity as a teacher, I can assure you, repetition works. Especially is you keep saying the same things in different ways.

Borodog 03-11-2007 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ACers a request.

I have a request for those of you who frequently start threads showing examples of where you believe the state is over stepping its bounds, taking away freedom, driving out business, etc in an effort to demonstrate why you hold your political beliefs. these posts are perfectly acceptable and well within the realm of political discussion

however my request is that neilso or someone else could create one thread where you then post these examples from the news and have the general debate about the merits of Acism instead of creating a bunch of separate threads.

as the thread grows and becomes too burdensome just let me or another mod know, and you can create another.

thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we have the Bush-haters restricted to posting in a single thread? How about the conservatives? How about we just have 3 giant threads that everything goes into? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Borodog 03-11-2007 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Restricting us from debating on the "general state vs no state" line is unreasonable I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would appear that in taking this approach you are running from a legitimate criticism of AC. There are some services that the government is quite good at providing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too look forward to your OP on this subject.

[ QUOTE ]
I am also certain the market can provide these services and deal with the free rider issues. When you retreat to the default position of the state being bad because it provides services by force you are repeating yourself rather than contributing to the discussion in a meaningful way.

[/ QUOTE ]

It bears repeating, obviously. There is turn-over in the boards. Everyday there are new readers and posters for whom it has never occurred that if the market can provide something (as you admit), it might not be the best option to let government do it by force. It advances the discussion because the same discussion will occur a hundred times, a thousand times, as indeed it should and must.

Borodog 03-11-2007 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but to put the burden on one part of the political spectrum to police their responses, to squelch their own political views and not have this apply to others feels quite unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is being asked to squelch their political views. People are being asked to respect one another. If someone wants to start a thread about raising/cutting taxes it is reasonable to expect that the thread won't be overun with people that want to talk the government being immoral. When your posts contribute nothing to the topic at hand and serve only to cause others to leave they are no longer welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on. If someone posts an OP on how to test whether someone is a witch, does it "contribute nothing to the topic at hand" to question whether or not we should be testing for witches? If others choose to leave because they cannot take someone questioning their premises, a perfectly legitimate avenue of argument, how is that the questioner's fault or problem?

You're simply attempting to control discussion and exclude important fundamental questions that deserve to be addressed.

Skidoo 03-11-2007 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, it appears the new regime's goal of squelching the postings by the only group to demonstrably, repeatedly convince many other people is well under way.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I do not believe that is their intention. The shinning new regime can delete my next five posts if they disagree.

What they are after is a consumer-friendly experience of this forum, like your favorite breakfast cereal. They seek the clean, and I approve of their efforts.

Borodog 03-11-2007 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it your belief/assertion that people can not vehemently disagree on fundamental issues and also respect the person they disagree with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am certain they can vehemently disagree on fundemental issues and still repsect the person. That is why I feel everyone will be able not try to shout down those that disagree with them. The shouting is going to stop now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why haven't any of the new rules mentioned addressed "shouting" instead of restricting and containing the posting of one particular group? The only group that has successfully persuaded large numbers of posters to their position, despite your claims of the virtual imposibility of this task (seemingly to justify not even allowing them to try)?

Skidoo 03-11-2007 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only group that has successfully persuaded large numbers of posters to their position, despite your claims of the virtual imposibility of this task (seemingly to justify not even allowing them to try)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to tell you, but the "persuasion" you imagine has been mostly a transient effect of your tactics. No permanent conversions, and many bad vibrations for this forum, have been the actual results.

4 High 03-11-2007 10:24 PM

Re: Political Beliefs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, iron was once the one and only mod of this forum in the past, and he was a liberal - and you're still here.

[/ QUOTE ]
BGC is not here.... He was a motivated partisan conservative.
There are motivated partisan liberals on this forum that to my knowledge are bullet proof...

Andy Fox....is a good man.
He is mature enough to separate political differences from the person.

Iron has general, been fair with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times are you going to repeat the same whine over and over again? If you are so worried or dislike it so much why continue to post? Dont be a partisan hack like BGC and im sure you will be fine.

I welcome the new mods and i hope things do get better around here for all posters, liberal, Moderate, AC and Conservative.

natedogg 03-11-2007 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How many times are you going to repeat the same whine over and over again? If you are so worried or dislike it so much why continue to post? Dont be a partisan hack like BGC and im sure you will be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

He got banned for being a partisan hack? I really hope not because that would be silly. I don't know what he got banned for but I"m highly unimpressed with iron's modding and have been so from the beginning. He's a reasonable poster but a terrible mod.

natedogg

Nielsio 03-11-2007 10:44 PM

Why did Boro get banned? Is this like the thoughtpolice?

ianlippert 03-11-2007 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Borodog got banned?

[censored] 03-11-2007 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Borodog got banned?

[/ QUOTE ]

suspended for 24hour

edit reduced to 8 hours

jman220 03-11-2007 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this like the thoughtpolice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what thought police is?

[ QUOTE ]
The Thought Police (thinkpol in Newspeak) were the secret police of the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four whose job it was to uncover and punish thoughtcrime. The Thought Police used psychology and omnipresent surveillance to find and eliminate members of society who were capable of the mere thought of challenging ruling authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nielsio 03-11-2007 11:08 PM

Why did Boro get banned?

And yes, jman, I'm aware of what the thoughtpolice it, which is the reason that I used it.

TomCollins 03-11-2007 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful or you might silently disappear too. Do not anger our overlords.

jman220 03-11-2007 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I have to admit, you guys do make me chuckle. By the way, no one has been "banned." The most anyone has gotten has been a 1 day suspension.

HeavilyArmed 03-11-2007 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Borodog got banned?

[/ QUOTE ]

suspended for 24hour

edit reduced to 8 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

Good start. So much easier than continuing a dialog.

bkholdem 03-11-2007 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Borodog got banned?

[/ QUOTE ]

suspended for 24hour

edit reduced to 8 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

Good start. So much easier than continuing a dialog.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people should be putting their cards on the table for all to see.

[censored] 03-11-2007 11:21 PM

what do you mean?

bkholdem 03-11-2007 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

behind the scene politics in a politics forum is not cool.

Vagos 03-12-2007 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I have to admit, you guys do make me chuckle. By the way, no one has been "banned." The most anyone has gotten has been a 1 day suspension.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it, what did he get a 24 hour ban for?

TomCollins 03-12-2007 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4 day ban now. Boro wants to know why it was increased. No explination yet.

Vagos 03-12-2007 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF, what about this?
[ QUOTE ]
suspended for 24hour

edit reduced to 8 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

What in the hell is going on right now?

jman220 03-12-2007 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF, what about this?
[ QUOTE ]
suspended for 24hour

edit reduced to 8 hours

[/ QUOTE ]

What in the hell is going on right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

The ban system uses decimals (for less then a day), I'm guessing it was an error by Censored(putting in 4 instead of .4). I'm checking gnow.

Edit: Fixed.

jman220 03-12-2007 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was non-civil discourse in some of his posts.

BCPVP 03-12-2007 12:58 AM

Jman, if Boro was only supposed to get 8 hours minus time served, why is it now 12 hours?

edit-i are dumb.

jman220 03-12-2007 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jman, if Boro was only supposed to get 8 hours minus time served, why is it now 12 hours?

edit-i are dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not 12 hours, it is now, at 1:01 A.M. EST, down to 5 hours, 26 minutes, and 9 seconds. Where did you get 12

BCPVP 03-12-2007 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

edit-i are dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not 12 hours, it is now, at 1:01 A.M. EST, down to 5 hours, 26 minutes, and 9 seconds. Where did you get 12

[/ QUOTE ]
He says he was already banned for 6 and someone made it another 6 on top of that. 12.

bkholdem 03-12-2007 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's politics, discussions should be allowed to go wherever they are going.

[/ QUOTE ]

New regime, new rules. You can disabuse yourself of this idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Discussions can go wherever they are going provided the place that they are going isn't:

-State Bad!
-State Good!
-State Bad!
-State Good!

Or:

Dems Bad!
Repubs Bad!
Dems Bad!
Repubs Bad!

Or:
-9/11 conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 conspiracy!

etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about:

guns bad
guns good

bush bad
bush good

war bad
war good

welfare bad
welfare good

etc
etc

jman220 03-12-2007 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

edit-i are dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He says he was already banned for 6 and someone made it another 6 on top of that. 12.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know what time the initial ban happenned (because I'm not responsible for the ban). I was just fixing the decimal place error. In any event, it has been fixed, I believe he now has 7 minutes left.

Mickey Brausch 03-12-2007 03:19 AM

Losers and Tossers

[ QUOTE ]
Dont be a partisan hack like BGC and im sure you will be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]And what is wrong, please, with coming on as a "partisan hack" in a debate about Politics?

Aside from usually losing the argument, of course, but losing or winning the argument should NOT be our mods' concern, should it?

Mickey Brausch

Myrtle 03-12-2007 08:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's politics, discussions should be allowed to go wherever they are going.

[/ QUOTE ]

New regime, new rules. You can disabuse yourself of this idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Discussions can go wherever they are going provided the place that they are going isn't:

-State Bad!
-State Good!
-State Bad!
-State Good!

Or:

Dems Bad!
Repubs Bad!
Dems Bad!
Repubs Bad!

Or:
-9/11 conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 not conspiracy!
-9/11 conspiracy!

etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about:

guns bad
guns good

bush bad
bush good

war bad
war good

welfare bad
welfare good

etc
etc

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the big problem?

EVERYTHING is now fine.

Take your soma.....

Think pleasant thoughts.......

Life is good.........

Nielsio 03-12-2007 08:44 AM

I'd still like to know exactly why Boro got temp-banned. I want to know because I have my own behaviour to take into account. Also, I will want to consider if this is a good place to be at all.

So.. what was it exactly that he did and why was it not tolerated?

Myrtle 03-12-2007 09:40 AM

Re: Hi *DELETED*

Post deleted by RR

ojc02 03-12-2007 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only group that has successfully persuaded large numbers of posters to their position, despite your claims of the virtual imposibility of this task (seemingly to justify not even allowing them to try)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to tell you, but the "persuasion" you imagine has been mostly a transient effect of your tactics. No permanent conversions, and many bad vibrations for this forum, have been the actual results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, this is patently false

Conversions to:
-> AC: 17
-> Minarchism: 9
-> Liberal: 2
-> Conservative: 1
-> Something else: 3

The idea that this many people would just temporarily change their mind about something this important is just ridiculous. I guess I can't prove that to be the case because your claim is essentially unfalsifiable (maybe everyone will realize on their deathbed that their political views were wrong all along). Not to say that people don't change their minds multiple times about their political views but I think the numbers speak loudly about the quality of the arguments.

The only bad vibrations for the forum are among people who don't like having their comfortable assumptions debated and are afraid they'll have to admit them to be wrong.

ojc02 03-12-2007 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd still like to know exactly why Boro got temp-banned. I want to know because I have my own behaviour to take into account. Also, I will want to consider if this is a good place to be at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

....the bad boy probably didn't take his soma.

This whole thing has turned into the theater of the absurd.

What a ridiculous joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I understood the new requirements but after these most recent bannings I have no idea at all. Nothing Boro said in this thread seemed outrageous or even vaguely ban-worthy.

HeavilyArmed 03-12-2007 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a ridiculous joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I understood the new requirements but after these most recent bannings I have no idea at all. Nothing Boro said in this thread seemed outrageous or even vaguely ban-worthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understand that the new rules of the new regime are subjective, flexable, open to interpretation. I could be contravening them right this second. No real way to be sure until the boot comes down.

Don life jacket. Prepare to abandon ship.

bkholdem 03-12-2007 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What a ridiculous joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Understand that the new rules of the new regime are subjective, flexable, open to interpretation. I could be contravening them right this second. No real way to be sure until the boot comes down.

Don life jacket. Prepare to abandon ship.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying this is what happened, or what will happen...

but there is a big difference between simply pointing out that certain judgements are inherently subjective and using the fact that certain judgements are subjective as an excuse to unfairly target individuals and then hide behind the the 'subjective' judgement.

If an action is taken after a subjective judgement in good faith and is purportely fair then said action should be open to examination to determine if the subjective judgement is/was fair in the eyes of others. After all, no one is perfect and we can all improve by having our actions and beliefs examined by others who can offer feedback on same.

ojc02 03-12-2007 07:58 PM

Edit: lol, i deleted this myself because i phear being banned [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]