Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   2+2er Nike Plus running group - who's in? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=295947)

PokerFox 01-04-2007 01:05 AM

Re: 2+2er Nike Plus group

username MFFNike, email pokerfox AT gmail.com.

Lookin forward to this.

theghost 01-04-2007 12:26 PM

Username

Nikename: country_grocer

email: jfd666 (at) yahoo

(Thanks for spending the time, sounds like a mild hassle)

DonkeyKongSr 01-04-2007 01:26 PM

Re: Username

It still says it's restoring my challenges section. Ugh. Hopefully it starts working soon. Anyway, it's...

DaveyG013
daveyg13 at yahoo . com

DonkeyKongSr 01-04-2007 05:22 PM

I checked the Nike+ forums and the issues with the challenges has been a common problem. It appears Nike wasn't ready to handle all the new business. If you did get a challenge started, but it's not showing up on the website, the Yahoo Widgets supposedly work and still show your challenges.

tdarko 01-05-2007 05:42 PM

I am registered. "tdarko" is the nick, you can PM me for the email...I don't know why anyone would need that.

I am still trying to figure this all out, I am terrible with this kind of stuff.

1C5 01-05-2007 06:38 PM

Re: 2+2er Nike Plus running group - who\'s in?

This Nike + thing looks pretty cool.

I just have a couple questions:

1. Looking to buy it at amazon and when I search for Nike +, I get 2 options.

a) Nike + iPod Sport Kit MA365LL/B $29

and

b) Nike + iPod Sport Kit $34.49

What is the difference and why is one more $$$ than the other?

2. What exactly does the Nike + thing do? I have a general idea but not sure about all the features it is (both for live running and after I upload it to the Nike site)

3. Does the Marware kit come with the thing that holds it in the shoe, the wrist holder AND the arm holder? Is it not annoying on your arm or wrist when you are running?

Thanks!

nolanfan34 01-05-2007 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This Nike + thing looks pretty cool.

I just have a couple questions:

1. Looking to buy it at amazon and when I search for Nike +, I get 2 options.

a) Nike + iPod Sport Kit MA365LL/B $29

and

b) Nike + iPod Sport Kit $34.49

What is the difference and why is one more $$$ than the other?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wondered the same thing, and went with the cheaper option. I think they may be the same, but one is through Amazon, and one is supplied by someone else but sold through Amazon perhaps.

Still waiting to receive my Nano and Nike+ kit. Hopefully today.....

skunkworks 01-05-2007 06:48 PM

I can confirm that the $29 Nike+ kit on Amazon is the one you want (I got it a couple days ago). The other one is sold by a non-Amazon seller. Unfortunately, the Marware case is only sold by a 3rd party on Amazon so it will take longer to ship.

Entity 01-05-2007 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am registered. "tdarko" is the nick, you can PM me for the email...I don't know why anyone would need that.

I am still trying to figure this all out, I am terrible with this kind of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some users the username doesn't work. It's a bug and it sucks. PM me your email and I'll add it. I tried your username but it didn't work.

Please confirm your invites as soon as you can so I can see if it's working properly.

Rob

nolanfan34 01-05-2007 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can confirm that the $29 Nike+ kit on Amazon is the one you want (I got it a couple days ago). The other one is sold by a non-Amazon seller. Unfortunately, the Marware case is only sold by a 3rd party on Amazon so it will take longer to ship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when I ordered it earlier this week, I actually got the shipping confirmation for the Marware case before I got my Amazon shipping notification. So it's a somewhat fast 3rd party at least.

skunkworks 01-05-2007 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, when I ordered it earlier this week, I actually got the shipping confirmation for the Marware case before I got my Amazon shipping notification. So it's a somewhat fast 3rd party at least.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] my order is still processing.

DonkeyKongSr 01-05-2007 07:19 PM

Finally got my challenge invite. I should get my first run in tomorrow.

1C5 01-05-2007 07:25 PM

didn't read the whole thread but I assume this works just as well on the treadmill as outside?

DonkeyKongSr 01-05-2007 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. What exactly does the Nike + thing do? I have a general idea but not sure about all the features it is (both for live running and after I upload it to the Nike site)

3. Does the Marware kit come with the thing that holds it in the shoe, the wrist holder AND the arm holder? Is it not annoying on your arm or wrist when you are running?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

2) It keeps track of mileage, time, and calories. There is a voice that tells you key marks in your runs, including all details on a single button press. You can set goals for each run by distance, time, or calories right on the iPod. There's a few more things I can't think of right now. On the site, all your data is gathered and you can set long term goals that it will track progress on. There's a bunch of other stuff it can do. Check out nikeplus.com for more details.

3) The wristband and armband are the same thing. I think there's an extender for strapping to your arm. I've never tried the wristband with my current band, but the armband isn't all that bad once you get used to the headphone wire dnagling around. You tune it out after awhile. I just got the Nike headphones where the wire comes out behind my head, which should be even less noticeable.

DonkeyKongSr 01-05-2007 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
didn't read the whole thread but I assume this works just as well on the treadmill as outside?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Basically footstrike exercises. No ellipticals or bikes. Not really sure how accurate it would be with step aerobics, but it should register on the Nike+.

The basics from the website on how it works...
[ QUOTE ]
How does Nike+ work?

The Nike+ sensor fits perfectly in the pocket of your footwear, located under the sockliner of your left shoe. The Nike+ receiver fits into the iPod nano and enables the connection with the sensor in your shoe and the iPod nano, and adds the Nike+iPod menu item to the nano screen.

The Nike+ sensor wirelessly transmits foot motion data through the Nike+ receiver to the iPod nano. The iPod nano tracks the progress and measures pace, distance, elapsed time and calories burned, and gives real-time audible feedback through the headphones while you are listening to your favorite workout music. At the end of a run the data can be easily stored in a custom workout log on nikeplus.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

1C5 01-05-2007 08:02 PM

Thanks. I just have to get an ipod and will then order the Nike +.

I am unsure if I am going to get the Malware kit or just this: http://www.shoepouch.com/ instead as I don't mind holding an MP3 player in my hand when I run.

DonkeyKongSr 01-05-2007 08:10 PM

When I was at the Apple store the other day, I could have sworn there was a Marware band called the Sprint which strapped around your hand, but I can't find it on the Marware website or through Google. Weird.

EDIT: Found it. Marware Sportsuit Sprinter. Doesn't look like it would really hold the Nano with the Nike+ receiver attached though.

EDIT #2: The first comment on that page says it works. So, might be a good idea for those that like to run with the iPod in hand. Get that and a shoe pouch.

goodguy_1 01-05-2007 10:48 PM

check out this website to log your running or any other workouts-I use it to log all my workouts mostly swimming but it's mainly a running website:

http://www.coolrunning.com/

DonkeyKongSr 01-06-2007 06:33 PM

So, I went to the gym today to try this out. Here's my tip: calibrate it on a high school track first.

I started on the treadmill and the default calibration was way off what the treadmill said, so I tried to calibrate it. It kept saying that it was not getting a distance anywhere near what I was telling it. So, after awhile I said "F it" and left to go to a nearby high school track.

First a 1/4 mile walk calibration: It nailed it to the exact last step I took. Very nice.

Then a 1/4 mile run calibration: It had me a 0.20, but accepted it and recalibrated.

Then a 1/4 mile test run, at a speed faster than I ran the calibration lap: 0.24 miles. Pretty damn good.

Then a 1/4 mile fast jog test lap: 0.25 miles. So, the calibration nailed it.

Tomorrow I'll go back to the gym and test the treadmill now that it's better calibrated.

Oh yeah, that Nike+ site does have some really cool displays of the runs (showing your speed changes throughout the run and stuff) but it's buggy as hell right now. Hopefully they get their [censored] togeter. One thing I do wish is that it would keep track of your weight on each run, since you can set that right on your iPod for calorie estimation. I'd update it everytime I go to the gym if it kept track of that. Seems like a simple addition. I think I'll write that suggestion to them.

tdarko 01-06-2007 07:26 PM

DonkeyKongSr,

I used it for the first time today w/o calibrating and am wondering if this is why my results were very puzzling. I am in pretty good shape though right now I have been lifting weights more than running. Even still every year when I start running I can run 7-7:30 minute miles my first time out and bring my times down to 6 minute miles. I ran for 20 minutes today on the treadmill at a pace that seemed pretty fast (8.0 for most of the run and 9.0 for about 3 minutes) and it said my pace was 10:22 per mile, wtf? I can walk that and I was running pretty well. Is it b/c I didn't calibrate?

goodguy_1 01-06-2007 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my pace was 10:22 per mile, wtf? I can walk that and I was running pretty well

[/ QUOTE ]
no way you can walk at a 10:22 pace maybe 14:22 speed-walking

1C5 01-06-2007 09:03 PM

Donkey

Is the calibration process easy?

All,

I just picked up a silver 2 Gig Nano today and within the week will order the Nike + system and a shoe holder so I can get using it.

The nano is pretty cool for someone who has only ever had a shuffle. And I thought the 2 gig will be enough for my needs.

skunkworks 01-06-2007 10:40 PM

Donkey,

Your post made me excited to get my Marware case and start running.

gimmetheloot 01-06-2007 11:26 PM

little OT, but w/e...

for those of you that run on the treadmill, what speed do you guys run on?

I personally run 7.0 for 30+mins. ([censored] treadmills at gym auto shut down at 30 mins and im tired/lazy/have stopped running and dont like to start it up again :/ )

jd2b2006 01-07-2007 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for those of you that run on the treadmill, what speed do you guys run on?

I personally run 7.0 for 30+mins. ([censored] treadmills at gym auto shut down at 30 mins and im tired/lazy/have stopped running and dont like to start it up again :/ )

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, 7.0 is fast. I have started running on a treadmill the past couple of months and I run at 6.5 for 22 minutes and 6.0 for 8 minutes.

kevstreet 01-07-2007 11:54 AM

I just purchased the Nike+ sensor on Amazon, unfortunately they're on back order.

Hopefully it won't be too long until I get mine. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

nolanfan34 01-07-2007 01:41 PM

Got my Marware case yesterday, but still don't have my iPod and Nike+ kit yet.

I did discover how out of shape I'm in though. Yesterday I took part in a 60 mile relay, part of a birthday celebration for my godfather. I just had to run one mile. I clocked in at a scorching 7:48. WTF!! It probably didn't help that it was about 39 degrees out and windy, but still, I thought I was going to die on the third lap.

Sigh. Guess I have to start somewhere!

tdarko 01-07-2007 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no way you can walk at a 10:22 pace maybe 14:22 speed-walking

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I was exaggerating to make the point that something was wrong. Weird that you didn't get that.

DonkeyKongSr 01-07-2007 04:26 PM

Sorry, was away from my computer until now.

Calibration was simple. Since it requires a minimum 1/4 mile calibration, a track is perfect. Go to "walk calibration" hit the button and start walking. Hit the button when you are done. Repeat for a run. I don't think you need to sprint because I think it's just trying to figure out your run stride. I'm guessing it uses the two and the data during your runs to figure out how fast you are running.

FYI, I'm almost 6'2", so I'm assuming that it was calibrated for a smaller person. Calibration is defeinitely necessary since the default run calibration was basically 20% off.

I should get to the gym in a couple hours. Hopefully the treadmill remains as accurate. I'll report back.

DonkeyKongSr 01-07-2007 04:27 PM

Oh yeah, the behind the head wired headphones are awesome. The Nike ones I bought are about $30. I didn't notice the wire at all.

1C5 01-07-2007 05:55 PM

post a link to those headphones please.

Entity 01-07-2007 06:40 PM

FWIW, I've heard that calibration does not necessarily help with treadmill results, as treadmills may not be 100% accurate. I think this has to do with the discrepancy between the belt moving and the amount of time your feet rest before rebounding, but I'm not sure. My unit has been very accurate on runs outdoors, but not nearly as accurate on the treadmill.

You may want to google it for more information.

Rob

DonkeyKongSr 01-07-2007 06:42 PM

People who can confirm "educational status" can get a crazy cheap price right here...
Philips Nike Flight Sport Bud Behind Head Headsphones $12.45

EDIT: Nevermind, those headphones say NO educational status is needed. Sweet. Half what I paid. Not sure why it says $14.99 retail. It is the same exact headphones as the other sites for much more. Well worth $12.45+shipping.

Amazon Reviews

BTW, these are probably only good if you are going to mount your iPod on you upper arm. Everywehere else, the cord may be wrapping around you. I think it is long enough for wrist straps, but I haven't tried yet. Maybe a pocket would work, too. Hmmm. It's almost a 4' cord, so figure out where that will reach. It's great because the cord isn't in front of you getting tangled in your arms.

DonkeyKongSr 01-07-2007 06:45 PM

Wow, students need to buy from that site. They have some great prices. Not a full selection though.

PokerFox 01-07-2007 06:46 PM

I'm coming for ya Entity [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Just ran my first 5k 20 days after a horrific ankle sprain (swelling still has not fully resided). I calibrated just a small amount, hopefully that was enough. I might re-calibrate if need be.

Sneaking up on ya in the challenge! (MFFNike)

DonkeyKongSr 01-07-2007 10:53 PM

Treadmill Trip Report

Just got back from the gym and the treadmill. My usual 24 Hour Fitnesses let the treadmills go to 99 minutes + 2 minute cooldown and that's what I usually do. I'm a hiker/backpacker as an occassional hobby, so my workout is more about walking inclines with runs mixed in. It's actually got so much variety that it's a great test of the Nike+.

My workout:
3.5-4.0 MPH, 3 minute segments at different inclines as follows:
7.5 incline -> 10.0 -> 12.5 -> 15.0 -> 12.5 -> 10.0 -> 7.5
Then I go to a run at 6.0-7.0 MPH with no incline, usually for 3 minutes or a little longer if I feel like it. Then I start the whole process over. This cycle will go almost 4 times in the 99 minutes.

My Results:
The time isn’t 100% accurate because I lost some time in the middle of my workout when I found out you can’t change music without it pausing (more on that later) and then added some time after the workout I forgot to stop the iPod until I walked over to the water fountain.

My workout registered as 6.91 miles in 1:41:31. The treadmill read 7.07 miles in 1:41:00. That only 2.26% off. Very acceptable variance. Huge thumbs up from me.

Power Song
This feature is actually much cooler than I thought. My song today was Linkin Park/Jay Z’s Points of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer mashup. The song is almost 5 minutes long. I recommend longer songs to keep you pumped up longer. To play the song, you hold down the center button for second or two and it starts up (you set it to whatever you want before a run). How well did it work to pump me up? Well, I suck at running and I usually just do the 3 minutes of running in this workout and not much more. Today I did the entire 5 minutes of the song with no problems. It helped that I went to that song from listening to the much more mellow Johnny Cash the rest of the time, but it should still get you going if you pick the right songs.

Changing Music
Alright, this is the part that sucks. After awhile I wanted to stop listening to Johnny Cash, so I went to the menu and went to “Change Music”. It paused my workout. That sucked. Then I tried to change my music. Well, I had no luck because you can’t go to the main menu without stopping the workout and on the workout menu your only choice for music changes are playlists. The problem is I have zero playlists because I have 30 GB of music and a 4 GB player, so I’m constantly swapping music. I guess I’ll have to start making some quick playlists so I have options on my runs. Annoying, but if you prepare yourself for runs, not a huge problem.

Final Thoughts
Highly recommended. About as accurate as you can expect from a non-GPS enabled pedometer. It’s going to get me motivated to do more outdoor runs. Living in SoCal, it’s too nice outside not to take advantage. As a hiker, I’m going to love finally knowing approximately how long my hikes are. I really am going to love this thing. The big problem still is the [censored] website. I was going to put the image of the run in this post, but the site is letting me do everything but look at my individuals runs. They need to get the bugs out of the site big time.

DonkeyKongSr 01-07-2007 11:12 PM

Finally got it...

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/832...raphpb5.th.jpg
It's missing the first two of my Power Songs. I did it at each run. Also, the last two minutes were on cooldown mode which was 3.5 following my last 7.0 run, but it's not showing up like that at the tail end. Also, the increase and decreases in speed were almost immediate (as fast as the treadmill changes) so really, the line isn't very precise. It looks like they went with a stylish smoothed curve over a precise point-to-point curve.

1C5 01-08-2007 12:06 AM

Cool, nice review, loooking forward to getting my stuff.

How does it know calories, does it ask for your weight?

DonkeyKongSr 01-08-2007 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Cool, nice review, loooking forward to getting my stuff.

How does it know calories, does it ask for your weight?

[/ QUOTE ]

You enter weight under one of the settings. If you are losing weight, you need to be sure to go in every once in awhile and update it.

Entity 01-08-2007 12:13 AM

I like your treadmill workout. I may start doing that myself.

I just added another 1.9 mile run today with a small cooldown. Starting to like running more than I used to. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob