Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Should I CB? A Quiz. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=276698)

Speedlimits 12-07-2006 07:12 PM

Re: Should I CB? A Quiz.

Bet H1-5
Check H6-8

How did I do?

Tough spots by the way.

GtrHtr 12-07-2006 08:42 PM

AJ, the A9o hand, I've picked up on a few cardrunners videos that those types of flops are ideal to c/bet on as they likely miss your opp's and if they hit, you know soon enough.

ajmargarine 12-07-2006 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJ, the A9o hand, I've picked up on a few cardrunners videos that those types of flops are ideal to c/bet on as they likely miss your opp's and if they hit, you know soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one I go back and forth on. I used to do it all the time. Now, I do it some of the time.

GtrHtr 12-07-2006 08:50 PM

makes sense, thx

Wolfram 12-08-2006 11:30 AM

This has been a great thread AJ. Thanks and keep em comin [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sweir 12-13-2006 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
H2

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 1 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...

<font color="blue">No. On a paired broadway flop, you should often check behind with a KK-type hand. This will get you two streets of value from 88 and lose the least when they have the Q. So, I like a check here. They are never folding a better hand to a CB. You can delay your CB til the turn, or check it down and hope your A9 holds up agst his JT. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting, never thought about this. Nice thread.

HoldenFoldem 12-21-2006 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll elaborate on my reasons later, and this is presuming unknown villains and presuming I'm not planning on firing a 2nd barrel:

1) 50/50
2)no (but i would if i was planning on firing multi barrels)
3) yes
4) yes
5) 70/30
6) no
7) no
8) no

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in seeing your thinking here on 6 and 8. #1 in particular looks like a clear bet repping the K.

PieterS 01-06-2007 07:08 PM

This is what i typed in after reading only the first post:

1 easy bet
2 tricky check
3 bet
4 easy bet
5 bet
6 easy check
7 check
8 check

It's exactly what AJ said, he must be good.

barryc83 01-06-2007 08:08 PM

If hand 8 only has one opponent are we checking or cbetting?

aces_full 01-08-2007 02:43 PM

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. NO
8. NO

The last two are the only ones I would give up on. I'm OOP with nothing against more than one opponent on boards that look like they could have given at least one of my opponents a made hand or at the very least a draw.

clowntable 01-08-2007 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assume full stacks at a NL50 table. Hero just sat down and has no reads. Do you CB in these spots?

If you don't CB a hand, why not?

H1

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 3 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H2

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 1 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H3

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 3 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H4

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP calls $2, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($6.5, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H5

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 1 fold, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($6, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero...

H6

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H7

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 2 folds, Button calls $2, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($6.5, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero...

H8

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2</font>, 1 folds, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, 2 folds.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($6.75, 3 players)
Hero...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll read the other answers after this so that I can do my own thinking first.
1) Yes, only one high card. Of course I have that one. Make it big enough to hurt the draw depending on opponent because ppl like to play suited stuff from the blinds for some reason. I don't like the 4xBB raise UTG but that is another discussion.

2) Yes, the pair just makes it more likely that the flop didn't hit him.

3) Yes, usually. If you don't cbet the high flops then...what do you cbet?

4) Value bet. Ready to shove. If MP reraises and SB folds. If it goes raise-reraise I'll evaluate/calculate.

5) Check. I have a natural distrust against T and J btw.

6) Yes, but this seems to be the most interesting one regarding future developments.

7) Normally I don't want to play this. Depends on what kind of hands B flat calls in position (some maily call with PP and seldome with SC for example).

8) Check, multiway, no position, gutshot draw, might back into a flush draw. Also the see above for my T/J distrust. Two pair or at least top pair are very likely.

King Spew 01-08-2007 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assume full stacks at a NL50 table. Hero just sat down and has no reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

All

I just put myself into the situation. IP, I bet 100% if I just sat down. I really don't care about what cards I have. I want the EASY MONIES before they start playing back at me because I CBet too much. I'll spend CHEAP dollars early to benefit later in the session. Put another way..... CBET early/always, then tighten up if you have to. I see no other way. Change the exersize by saying we have played 4 or more orbits (6Max) and all villains are competent and you have a better test IMHO.

OOP, I'll usually CBet early too... tho #8 is my closest to check of all of em.

Tell me where I'm wrong if these are examples of your first hand upon sitting down.

Full Steam Ahead! Ship It!

Holla.

Scuba Chuck 01-08-2007 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A definite no: H8. OOP 3-way on a draw heavy flop. Draw heavy is when there are both flush and straights possible. You just have to check and fold this to a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such a different mindset from tournament poker. I don’t know if I (gulp) believe this for some reason. This seems hard to swallow that it’s a definite “no.” We’re actually way ahead of KQ here.

(H7) By the way, I check 3 way monotone boards almost 100% (without the suited card in hole). I look to dump or pressure on the turn.

(H2) With hands like this, I tend to cbet, but I bet a smaller amount, maybe just $2. It seems to work, and it’s also how I’d play it with Qx.

(H4) I think the decision to c-bet here can go both ways, and likely should be decided by your current table image. The more laggy you are (or if you’re trying to create a laggy image) then I would c-bet. Most armchair poker players don’t really know that our card equity is stronger than 99 atm.

(H5) I think this is a laggy decision yet again. C-betting here isn’t that poor given that it’s so easy to get away from this hand when called/raised. (of course, the alternative problem is that we probably don’t want to get to a showdown w/o improving, so a check/fold also has benefits). I find this quite a bit different than the AK hand on the TJx board.

dawade 01-08-2007 04:36 PM

Even though this is an older thread, I figured I'd take a crack at it.

*GRUNCHING*

1) We have a very solid hand preflop and we got a call from the SB. The board is somewhat helpful (with the naked K) and since our opponent has checked to us, I think this seems like a good spot for us to bet ~$3 and take down the pot.

Answer: YES

2) This is a fold for me UTG, but since we're folded to in the CO, I definitely like raising it up here. Again, the SB has called and could have a wide variety of hands, especially considering where we raised from. That being said, this is about as safe a board as we could have asked for. Fire away!

3) I'm raising PPs in any position, so this raise is fine. But this flop is kind of scary, IMO. Opponent is definitely calling in the SB with hands like QTs, JTs, etc. I check behind here and re-evaluate on the turn.

Answer: NO

4) No-brainer raise PF, and no-brainer raise on the flop, IMO. Even though the pot is 3-handed, we have flopped a monster hand and are now trying to build a pot.

5) With both the SB and the BB coming along, I'm more inclined to check this flop and pray for a 4 or a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Then again, how about betting the flop with the intention of checking behind on the turn?

Answer: ???

6) Easy raise PF, but this is a really scary board. Even though we have a pair + a FD/SD, I'm afraid we are going to get check-raised pretty often on this board. Check behind and hope you spike one of your drawing cards.

7) With the pot being 3-handed and monotone, I'm likely to check here, but I really don't like it. Then again, you could always fire at it and represent a big [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Answer: ???

8) Ah, the easiest for last. We have a great hand preflop, but this flop really didn't do much for us. Straight draws + FDs are out there. We have 3 outs to the absolute nuts, but even then opponents have some re-draws. I'm checking behind here.

Well, that was fun. Thanks to AJ for posting that, let's hope I can apply some of those concepts to my game next time I'm playing!

Shoot59 01-08-2007 06:11 PM

Assume full stacks at a NL50 table. Hero just sat down and has no reads. Do you CB in these spots?

If you don't CB a hand, why not?

H1

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A Q
Hero raises to $2, 3 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: K 9 5 ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> bets $3.5 to fold better hands (missed low PP's) and for protection (not let UI broadway cards and flush draws draw for free) </font>

H2

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with A 9
2 folds, Hero raises to $2, 1 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 2 Q Q ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> bets $3 (paired boards don't need as big a cbet) to fold better hands like A10,AJ and protect your hand from missed broadways like JT </font>
H3

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with 9 9
Hero raises to $2, 3 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: A K 3 ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> checks behind. Maybe get a little value from lower PP's later in the hand, only really getting called by better hands here IMO although you are giving hands with a T,J, or Q a free card to beat you. Call a reasonable turn or river bet, but prob not both. Bet if checked to on the turn (for value)</font>

H4

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A K
Hero raises to $2, MP calls $2, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 3 4 5 ($6.5, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> Bets $5 to build pot if flush hits, your bet is unlikely to fold better hands, or get called by much worse, although worse UI overs may peel one here</font>

H5

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 5 6
2 folds, Hero raises to $2, 1 fold, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: T 3 2 ($6, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> checks to guarantee a free card to try to hit the gutshot. Better hands will have a hard time folding because this flop is so unlikely to hit you, and you also have 2 players in the hand instead of one. Unlikely to fold two better hands here. </font>

H6

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is Button with T Q
3 folds, Hero raises to $2, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: T J K ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red"> Bets $4 to charge the flush draw, and also for (hopefully) the option of checking behind on turn to catch the OESD. Def. not a bet for value or hoping better hands fold.</font>

H7

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with J J
Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, Button calls $2, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: Q 9 4 ($6.5, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero...
<font color="red">Checks, if a non spade brick hits on turn and it's checked to you, then bet turn for $5. Better hands won't fold to this C-bet and you are not getting much value from worse non-spade hands. </font>

H8

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with A K
Hero raises to $2, 1 folds, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, 2 folds.

Flop: J T 7 ($6.75, 3 players)
Hero...
<font color="red">Checks. Better hands aren't folding (well maybe if they both have low PP's)and worse hands aren't calling. Check/Fold flop, Bet turn if you improve. </font>

Lego05 01-15-2007 12:45 AM

Re: 2 of the hands slightly modified

I see that really the only hands in this post where you're out of position the board texture makes it obvious what to do such as that AK hand with the flush draw and the gutshot draw. But what about other hands. What if someone in MP had called in the following hands so there is someone acting after you? Do you still c-bet?

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with 9h 9s
Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, MP calls SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: Ad Kh 3s ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero ??? MP....

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG with Ah Qs
Hero raises to $2, 2 folds MP calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: Kd 9d 5h ($4.5, 2 players)
SB checks, Hero ??? MP...

marvin_1935 01-15-2007 10:39 AM

1-4 yes
5 check i have a gutshot but can't beat 7 high
6 50/50
7 yes
8 check i have a gut shot, but a cb is unlikely to take down the pot as one if not both of the cold callers probably got a piece of the flop

monkover 01-27-2007 01:08 PM

nice post

thetruest 02-02-2007 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If hand 8 only has one opponent are we checking or cbetting?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think barry might have brought up a good question? what do some people think?

Bubble Bully 02-02-2007 09:30 AM

5) I'm aggressive and would lead out on this flop with position, and sometimes I will fold to aggressive villains. You win this hand by aggression, but checking down and seeing free cards isn't bad wither. It depends on the villains. Sometimes I make plays to see what a villain is capable of doing. It also depends on my image.

8)I charge people to draw to the nuts. No free cards from.

everything else is an easy yes from me.

warbler 05-27-2007 07:36 AM

(i'm answering with out reading replies first - this should be a poll)

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No. I'll let a card come off, and bet it if it's high(hope it's a four)
6. No. Too high a chance they've hit I'd like a free card. Too many cards in the zone
7. No. Too high a chance they've got a good spade and I don;t want to have to fire three barrels and get called down by top pair
8. No. OOP with JT 2flush board not fun!

neverforgetlol 05-27-2007 07:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
H2

SB checks, Hero...

<font color="blue">No. On a paired broadway flop, you should often check behind with a KK-type hand. This will get you two streets of value from 88 and lose the least when they have the Q. So, I like a check here. They are never folding a better hand to a CB. You can delay your CB til the turn, or check it down and hope your A9 holds up agst his JT. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting, never thought about this. Nice thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

how many people saw the magazine article about cbetting? paired flops are where you get the most successful cbets.

WHITEBOYAEHS 07-07-2007 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes

That was easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

its just my style to bet almost every flop...if called ill go into check fold mode in some of them...but i like to protect my big hands by betting a lot when i miss...thats jsut me, but i cbet every one of these

HighSteaks 07-08-2007 08:21 AM

1.y
2.y
3.no, you can pick up this hand often enough if the flop gets checked to swing it to a no for me.
4.y
5.y
6.y
7.no, SB has so many options in this hand and deep stacked I'm looking for a better spot.
8.no, this is a flop that a favourable turn card for your hand can get you commited to a bad situation

JereLock 09-27-2007 05:20 PM

1. yes
2. yes
3. no – utg = wrong position
4. yes – flush/straight hunting!
5. yes
6. yes
7. no – good chance of villain holding q or any spade hits the spade (plus its 3wayed)
8. yes

diggla 11-30-2007 01:36 PM

1) yes
2) yes
3) yes
4) yes
5) no, take free card behind to hit nutshot
6) yes
7) no, monochrome board and 3-way, cbet will be called/raised by any1 w/ high spade
8) no, board is too coordinated and 3-way, hope to hit queen or ace, spade backdoor

You're No Daisy 11-30-2007 04:59 PM

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No. Check and take a free card
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes

TAGs c-bet 75-90% of the time.

AC

patrick10 11-30-2007 10:38 PM

Yes to all, but for the last hand

Here you are facing 2 opponenents,
you are OOP ,
the board has medium cards
FD
Straight possible.
they are probably calling you with any piece. Whether it is a BIG mistake to Cbet i dont think so- because you DO have overcards + gutshot and backdoor 2nd nut flush draw, but i think a check/ Call is better than a Cbet here if anything

patrick10 11-30-2007 10:51 PM

looks like i am a spewtard

edit. also looks like i didnt read all the hands thoroughly oops

Ra_Z_Boy 12-01-2007 03:56 AM

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes
6. No
7. No
8. No

1. Board is dry. Kx isn't a large part of his range. Bet

2. Paired boards almost never hit our opponents, if he has a mid pair he will give it up often depending on what hits on later streets, easy to take away later and probably will succeed now. If he DOES have a queen you will know soon enough so its still a safe C bet.

3. Gotta rep hitting that flop. Unlikely villain has called with anything that hit this flop hard here.

4. Basically, we aren't really c betting here. This is pure value.

5. Very dry flop and we have backdoor flush and gutshot. Why wouldn't we bet here? Villain is extremely unlikely to have hit anything and even if he has we have potential to take it away later or hit a really disguised gutshot.

6. That board hit his calling range massively. We are getting check raised a lot here, take the free card as he is almost never firing out on turn as a bluff anyway.

7. I check. Too unlikely you are going to get folds here. I do bet sometimes especially vs one opponent, but vs two callers I am checking.

8. You are OOP looking at a board very likely to have hit your opponents quite hard. They called an UTG raise so mid to high suited connectors are a decent part of their range and they all have a piece here. I check fold all day here.

Good set of replies guys. I think a lot of people need to reevaluate how often they c bet and on what sort of board textures if they aren't checking at least 2 of these with a high regularity.